The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Much Ado About Fangs [COMPLETE 2/24]

Comments

• Minty1992Minty1992 Posts: 616 Member
    edited July 2019
    :D:D I can just see him asking, who the heck are all these other people? and than offering to join Griff, Lani and Fox for "tutoring".
    cropped-title-screen-1.png
    My Disney Legacy!

• LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    Caspian is ready for a change...

8iJwtk0.png
    uduVcAP.png
  • Minty1992Minty1992 Posts: 616 Member
    ok, I think this chapter has just won me over. I am now team Cas and Ham.
    cropped-title-screen-1.png
    My Disney Legacy!

@Minty1992 Just in the nick of time, too!! I'm glad. <3
    uduVcAP.png
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,322 Member
    It is interesting to see these last two chapters back to back. Both relationships involve a much younger person who is attracted to an older person who doesn't feel totally comfortable with the situation. But Caspian comes off as mature (and in some ways, even more mature than Hamlet) and the relationship feels good to me. His approach with Hamlet was always mindful of Hamlets feelings, and when Hamlet was at a low point in his life, Caspian set aside his own desires and simply helped him get back on his feet. That feels like genuine love.

I never liked Belle's approach with Val. He had legitimate concerns, with her being a student and him being her teacher. At least in the real world, that is a sticky situation ethically and legally. And because he repeatedly asked her to back off, her continued pushing for an intimate relationship came across as harassment to me. He might have been attracted to her too, but he clearly wasn't comfortable. Him agreeing to her wishes in the end didn't feel so much like admitting love as just giving in. I am left wondering if he will regret it. I don't feel that way with Caspian and Hamlet.

I like contrast in a story, especially when it highlights contradictions in society. Putting both these relationships in side by side is an interesting way to show just how complex life can get. Two situations that look very similar on the surface actually create very different feelings, at least in this reader. Well done.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
    @GlacierSnow
    I did often wonder if anyone would feel that way! And I suspect you're not alone. If Belle and Val's genders were reversed, I bet there'd be a lot more outcry, because she was very pushy with him and he did have legitimate concerns. IRL, I'm not a fan of pushy people at all, LOL. Like Bianca, she tends to steamroll over everyone else, thinking she knows best.

Will that work out in the long run? Who knows! (Well, I do, LOL.) Valerian was lonely and Belle did ease that loneliness, but she could've been more patient and waited until he was completely ready (if that time ever came at all) like Caspian did with Hamlet. Then again, Hamlet needed some encouragement from his daughter to even consider it.

But yeah, early on people wondered why Caspian had the slot after Belle's...I think it fit there. ;)
    uduVcAP.png
    It's true, what you say about if the genders were reversed with Belle and Val. That's exactly why I think this is so interesting. If a male character were being as pushy as Belle was being, and the female character kept telling him to stop, I do think a lot of people would be genuinely upset with the same exact ending. But I didn't see anyone say so with Belle and Val. There is an assumption in our society that men are just always automatically interested in, and okay with, this sort of thing. But I've had enough male friends, especially of the shy socially awkward types like Val to know that isn't always the case. I definitely see Belle as a bully. A young, female, charismatic, cute as a button bully, but still a bully.

I didn't respond last chapter because it honestly creeped me out a bit, and I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. But I liked how you followed it with this chapter and I think it's very interesting.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow
    I totally understand! And I'm not surprised at all--even Belle has wondered if she's being too pushy and has expressed a desire not to force Val in a past chapter, because that's not her definition of love.

With a cast this large, everyone is going to have couples and characters that just don't work for them--both Graham and Bianca have had their detractors in the past (and even now), with their manipulative and pushy ways, and she's definitely a product of their union, LOL. But other people love them. And then characters I've expected people to hate, some people adore. I've learned that when writing, you never can predict everyone's reactions, and they can vary so wildly! This is the first writing project I've ever posted publicly, so it's been a major learning experience for me. ;)
    uduVcAP.png
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have been waiting since last gen for this! :heart: My 2nd favorite H-guy finally got his happy ending :bawling:

(This ALMOST helps ease the Orlando and Lyanna pain. But only almost :angry: )
    snvAF3B.png
    edited July 2019
    @CitizenErased14 LOL, it's usually the supernatural types who I earmark to find love in a future gen, but I couldn't help but want to follow Hamlet after gen 2. He didn't get a PoV in either gen but he still had a long journey--and I still remember when people were DONE with him after his behavior with Ellie and Anders.

I think a certain current-gen fave is going to get some major flak over their parenting style next gen too... :o
    uduVcAP.png
    I think a certain current-gen fave is going to get some major flak over their parenting style next gen too... :o

@LadyLobster Ooohh... this sounds intriguing. :naughty:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @LadyLobster
    I had to do one more spoiler box just for fun. I feel like we're whispering in the back of the classroom. :wink:

Anyway, I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I love that you create such an interesting variety of characters and story lines. You are right in your observation that you can't predict how people will react or who they will end up liking, and it is incredibly varied. This is a lesson I have had to learn as well in writing. The first time I actually completed something novel length and shared it with just my own circle of family and friends, omg, the reactions were all over the place. In order to go on, and not sink into a deep dark pit of the soul, I had to come to terms with the idea that to create a good story, I can't expect to make everyone happy.

I think my reaction to Belle was in part because I really identified with Val's character. So much of what he expresses about himself and his feelings about people in his PoV chapters really resonated with me personally. And I, also, have had the experience of being relentlessly pursued by someone who wouldn't take "no" for an answer. In my case, that person eventually did back off, but only after a lot of effort on my part. We all bring our own baggage with us when we read a book, watch a movie, or look at art. That used to bother me, that my readers would see something different than I intended, but over time I've come to realize, that is just part of how it works.

I am looking forward to whatever drama you have in store for us next gen! :smiley:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    I have been waiting since last gen for this! :heart: My 2nd favorite H-guy finally got his happy ending :bawling:

(This ALMOST helps ease the Orlando and Lyanna pain. But only almost :angry: )

@CitizenErased14 Hope I'm not spamming too much here, lol. :grimace: But I had to say, I totally agree with you. So thrilled to see Hamlet finally end up with someone who both cares a lot about him, and also will stand up to him when he needs some "tough love". I've got a good feeling about that pair. :smile:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    edited July 2019
    @GlacierSnow I'm glad! >:) Reactions to Fangs characters' parenting styles and their children's (sometimes perceived?) plights tend to vary a lot, which I always find interesting.
    LOL! WHISPER WHISPER. And please don't worry--and thank you for sharing your thoughts. As you mentioned, we all bring our experiences to a work of fiction. I knew Sly would make some people uncomfortable to the point of being done with him, especially those who'd experienced similarly toxic relationships in the past, but I think others were forgiving because they loved his mom and/or they really wanted to see him become a better person, among other reasons.

My first real relationship was actually because the guy wouldn't take no for an answer, no matter how many excuses I made to turn him down--and it didn't end well. :scream: So I can relate to Val too that way, and that's why I tried to have Belle give him "outs" if he wasn't interested, like when she tried to leave his house and he followed her anyway.

And on the subject of kids and parents like I mentioned above, I've noticed people's sympathies tend to vary depending on where they are in life too--parents tend to be more sympathetic to my characters as parents, even if they make big mistakes a la Lyanna and Orlando, whereas younger people or people without kids may be more likely to be firmly in the kids' camp. You're right that no one reads in a vacuum!

Anyway, that's just a long-winded way of saying no worries and different strokes for different folks. ;)
    uduVcAP.png
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Yea Hamalam you get that yung boi and have a happy ending

I'm glad for Caspian the most though, he's been such a tolerant, patient guy the whole gen compared to everyone else lmao. He definitely deserves this happily ever after with the guy he had a crush on forever :^) Being a butler is definitely in his blood for putting up with Ham Sammich being moody and clingy.

I can't wait till they get a dog!!!!
    @Cement Caspian was one of those less popular characters this gen (maybe just because he had fewer chapters?) but I really loved this Daisy-Leo kid who almost didn't exist. <3 It's funny, every time I say "X and Y's kid is going to be an only child next gen, I need to cut down on this cast!!!" someone pushes me to add MORE kids and at first I'm like "but but I can'ttttt" and then I do and it works somehow, LOL. See: Rhys and Finn last gen, Caspian this gen, (hopefully) Belle's younger kid next gen who you were fully responsible for.

But yeah, it's a shame Lysander never got to meet Caspian because he would've loved that kid, man. And I too am excited for their dog, I already have SCREENSHOTS.
    uduVcAP.png
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Yeah hMmMm I wonder who else keeps pushing for kids HmMmMm ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ‘€
    #NoOnlyChildrenInFangsClub

I like to imagine Daisy would dress up their dog and consider it a grandchild because speaking of childreN IT'S NOT FAIR that she doesn't have any grandkids ๐Ÿ˜ค
    @Cement There are only two only children next gen! I think...

And Daisy really wants to be a grandma too. :'(
    uduVcAP.png
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    #NoOnlyChildrenInFangs
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
    @SeaDragonSong Not you too! :scream::scream::scream:
    uduVcAP.png
  • wyvern713wyvern713 Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Minty1992 said:
    > This is such an amazing story :)
    >
    > I only found it a few days ago and I've been binge-reading. I have officially finished fangs for the memories and am on my way through fangs to fae.
    >
    > Keep up the amazing writing! :) :) :)

I've been binge-reading too!! I'm all caught up now! Can't wait to read more!!!
    @wyvern713 Thank you so much--and welcome to the forums!!

Only 5 more chapters in this generation counting the epilogue...then a little break, then gen 4 begins. ;) Hope you enjoy the end--and the new beginning!
    uduVcAP.png
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Cannot wait for tomorrow! Who's up????
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    @pammiechick One of your faves, Velvet. ;) Rexx has the Friday slot.

After that there'll only be 3 chapters left, so I'm considering doing Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week instead of having the epilogue all by its lonesome the week after!
    uduVcAP.png
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    @pammiechick One of your faves, Velvet. ;) Rexx has the Friday slot.

After that there'll only be 3 chapters left, so I'm considering doing Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week instead of having the epilogue all by its lonesome the week after!

YAY!!! I cannot wait! I adore her and Rexx...I wonder how he's fairing...hmm... :sweat_smile:

I hope you stick to that! Love three chapters a week!! <3 Can't get enough FANGS!!!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg