Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I backup my Sims 4 on Mac?

Hi, I would like to know how to do a backup for my Sims 4 (mods, saves and sims).
I am about to wipe my Macbook and restore its original factory settings.
Please guide me. Thank you very much!

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    If you have either an external Hard Drive or USB stick, either one of those should work.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    edited November 2016
    If you are about to wipe your Mac clean. Then here is a few points for you
    1. Get an external storage device for your backup. A USB thumb drive or external harddrive depending on how much stuff you have, help is further down the list
    2. Open a Finder window, click "Go" in the menubar and select "Home", this is the folder where most of your stuff is located.
    3. Hold down "CMD" on the keyboard and press A (To select all folders and files), and keep holding down CMD, hold down ALT too (the key next to CMD), and press I on the keyboard (I as in Ice) this will bring up a window, telling you how must stuff you have. Notice the GB counter at the top.
    4. When you have connected your external storage device (USB stick or harddrive), simply copy everything from your home folder to a folder on the storage device.
    5. IF you use Apples Photos app, WITH iCloud Library (syncing your photos to iCloud), go to your storage device, and delete the Photos library file, otherwise you will have trouble. iCloud library will re-download all your photos and videos, just make sure all photos and videos are synced to iCloud, before wiping your Mac. (Checking you have enough storage in iCloud, maybe going to iCloud.com to verify your latest photos and video are there), if you don't use iCloud library, don't delete the file.
    6. IF you use iTunes purchases (Movies, music and all that), and Apple Music, make sure to deauthorize before wiping. So you will have your activations intact.
    7. When copying your backup files back in place, don't replace any of the standard folders. Copy the items from the backup folder, to the corresponding folder in your Home folder (Contents of the Pictures folder on the storage device, to the Pictures folder in your Home folder). You can risk a mess of inaccessible files, because of permissions if you replace the new Pictures folder, with the old one.
    8. Make sure not to open iTunes before the backup files are copied to the Music folder. It will make a mess. I learned that one the hard way :wink:

Some of your applications may save data in your Application Data folder, which is hidden. To get to it, Hold down ALT on the keyboard, when opening the "Go" menu in the Finder, then you can open your Library folder, where the Application data folder is located.

If you are in doubt about which apps store data there, try to google it.