Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MacBook Pro help graphic setting!

I have a MacBook Pro early 2011 13 inch. It's runs OS X El Captian.
Processor: 2.3 Ghz intel core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDr3
Graphics: intel HD Graohifs 3000 384 MB
-
What settings should my game be in?!!! I tried everything but it's always lagging , I want my game to be smooth and not low settings :) please help! Graphics settings

Comments

• Options
    MemoNemoMahaMemoNemoMaha Posts: 36 New Member
    Intel HD graphics **
  • Options
    sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    I have a 2014 MacBook Air with Intel HD 5000.

I run everything on low (except Objects on Medium. I only build most of the time).

What I did was Duplicate my "GraphicsRules.sgr" file (Applications » The Sims 4 » Show Package Contents » Contents » GraphicsRules.sgr

Then I edited that with TextEdit with the following settings: (CMD+F: type in Advanced)

option AdvancedRendering
    setting $Off > This means Laptop Mode is currently ON. All features below are turned OFF because it's ON.
    prop $ConfigGroup RenderForceMinspecShaders 0
    prop $ConfigGroup TerrainLODMode 0
    prop $ConfigGroup TerrainSpecScale 1 > Change this to 1, it will be 0.
    prop $ConfigGroup RenderPostProcessEnabled false
    prop $ConfigGroup RenderShadowsEnabled true > Change this to true, it will be false.
    prop $ConfigGroup RenderPretransformEnabled true
    setting $On > This means Laptop Mode is currently OFF. This means the features are turned ON.
    prop $ConfigGroup RenderForceMinspecShaders 0
    prop $ConfigGroup TerrainLODMode 0
    prop $ConfigGroup TerrainSpecScale 1

Make sure you back up the GraphicsRules.sgr file somewhere on your computer, in case anything goes wrong!!

This way, I am able to make use of the Laptop mode (which makes the game smoother), but still have shadows. This also allows me to have really good frame rates.

The only problem, is that I never owned a MacBook with HD3000, so I can't really tell you how it'd run on it.

If anything goes wrong, just replace the file you edited, with the file you duplicated/backed up. Or just go to Origin, and Repair your game.

If your laptop runs hot, then go to Documents » Electronic Arts » The Sims 4 » Options.ini (Open with TextEdit), and change Framelimit to 30.

I hope this helps! :)

Alex
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • Options
    Thanks Alex, I am more on taking good quality pictures of my sims and I feel like my settings should be higher but whenever I put all high or medium the game lags , I feel like one of the settings makes my game laggy but now I changed half of it to low and it runs smoothly but idk what caused the lag 'My settings are
    Sims: medium
    Objects:Medium
    Lighting:low
    Reflections: low
    Visual effects: medium
    Edge smoothing: low
    3D scene resolution: low
    View distance: hight
    Uncompressed sim textures: off
    Post processings effects: On
    Laptop mode: off (because it glitches the cc hair in the game)
  • Options
    How about, if you change 3D Scene Resolution to High, does that make anything look better? (It should make the edges sharper/less pixelated). :)
  • Options
    Whenever I turn on 3D resolution it lags that's why I turned it off
  • Options
    I don't have any other clues then.

The lag could be caused by the cc, though, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited October 2016
    Intel HD graphics are not meant for gaming, so that's your problem with lag. The computer is physically incapable of processing data at the speed needed for smooth performance while also looking nice. Unfortunately, your main options are either turn your settings down, or a buy a better computer. There is nothing you can do to make your hardware better than it is. (Intel HD graphics are about as fast as roadkill, as you've noticed.)

The biggest settings behind lag are Edge Smoothing, and Laptop Mode. You want edge smoothing off, and laptop mode on for best performance. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    Intel Graphics in Mac is fine for this game.

Do I remember correctly you can change picture quality specifically in settings? If not, maybe shift some high requiring settings to low or medium. That allows you to up some other settings to high.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Intel graphics may be fine for Mac, since the OS and native applications are so well optimized - but TS4 doesn't come within 20 miles of OS X's level of refinement. Regardless, Intel graphics are not fine for this game in any application.

The game's recommended graphics card is an nVidia GTX 650, which is running about 400 cores at 1GHz. The Intel HD 3000 is running a pathetic 12 cores at anywhere from 0.3 to 1.3Ghz depending on processor speed. The Intel HD 5000 is running a mere 40 cores, at 0.4 to 1.1GHz.

Of course there are going to be problems when trying to run the game on hardware that is running at roughly 1/10th the power of what EA has recommended. :s
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    briannateresebriannaterese Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello everyone! I'm having some issues with my display as well. Please help if you can. Sorry if this was a repeated question. I'm having trouble navigating this forum. You most certainly can direct me to a link if it's already been answered.

My specs are as followed...
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15")
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

My issue is as followed...
    I am currently using Quicktime Player to record fullscreen gameplay of TS4. I haven't had any trouble until I got to iMovie to edit my video. There are black bars on the sides of my video OR if I crop them out it cuts off the top and bottom of the video.
    As far as I could find, you can set the display settings on the computer to a certain resolution and it will eliminate these. But I believe the resolutions given are for the 13" as they are not an option on my computer (i.e. setting the display to 1280 x 720 - the option I have is 1280 x 800). I even tried changing the resolution in the game itself (menu>game options>graphics>resolution) but nothing seems to work.
    Is there a way for me to fix this or do I always have to either display my video with black bars on the sides or the top/bottom cropped out?

Thank you so much in advance!