Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nraas Story Progression

I was looking at different Nraas mods and I found the Story Progression mod. I was wondering if anyone else has it, and if so, what does it do?

: )
F1%2BGTR%2Bcrash.gif

"Whoops!"
-Nick Mason (Official)

Comments

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I have it. But I cant explain it very good. One thing don't turn it on in any world adventure and university worlds. I learned that the hard way.
    @igazor Could you explain what the Story progression mod does? please and thank you.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Yes, quite a few people here use it. I recommend reading the FAQ page for the mod.

This mod overrides the EA Story Progression giving you a variety of ways to tweak it.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Story progression generally is what provides guidelines for sim behavior and the force that pushes inactive residents in your world -- sims who live in houses of their own all around yours -- to progress in their lives. That is, learn skills, get jobs and move up the ladder in job levels, have and break friendships and romantic relationships, have and raise kids so there can be a next generation, move houses, immigrate in as new residents when called for.

As said, NRaas StoryProgression is a modded version that replaces EA's version. The NRaas version is far less susceptible to breakage and is almost infinitely customizable for those so inclined. The EA version, besides being more random in its approach, is very prone to stop working altogether after a couple of generations leaving your sims living in what fast becomes a ghost town. It also tends to emigrate (cull) inactive sims out of your world when it shouldn't.

The FAQ page that @Simasaurus09 suggested is the best introduction to the mod. Don't be intimidated by the 17 internal links in the beginning, just scroll past those to get to the readable part.

It should also be noted that, unlike several other NRaas mods that work hard to fight game engine abuse, overwork, lag/stutter, etc., StoryProgression actually adds noticeable amounts of overhead to the game especially in large or densely populated worlds. Many players need to dial its speed back a bit to keep things moving smoothly, others also restrict the stories it reports on to keep things moving. Some cannot run it at all, depending on their system and the worlds they are playing. But those who can often find that the extra overhead and management it brings to the game is very much worth the trouble.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KethKeth Posts: 165 Member
    I only installed the base mod, not the extras, until I could get more used to what it was doing. How exactly does it negatively affect Univeristy and WA?
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    ...[snip]...

It should also be noted that, unlike several other NRaas mods that work hard to fight game engine abuse, overwork, lag/stutter, etc., StoryProgression actually adds noticeable amounts of overhead to the game especially in large or densely populated worlds. Many players need to dial its speed back a bit to keep things moving smoothly, others also restrict the stories it reports on to keep things moving. Some cannot run it at all, depending on their system and the worlds they are playing. But those who can often find that the extra overhead and management it brings to the game is very much worth the trouble.

THIS. It's huge to limit the notifications you get. I limit mine to blood relatives. Even then it can get busy if you have large families. I'm currently on the 5th generation of using this mod and I can't play without it. It keeps the town moving, I constantly see pregnant sims around town and it's awesome knowing that my new generation will have a new generation to incorporate into the story. Also - when I marry and move in a townie, their family tree shows me the story progression that takes place and it makes it feel SO real to me, it's amazing. I always have a day of meeting the in laws around the time of the wedding. I just can't explain how much I love this mod.
    edited May 2016
    Keth wrote: »
    I only installed the base mod, not the extras, until I could get more used to what it was doing. How exactly does it negatively affect Univeristy and WA?

Oh thanks, I forgot to address that comment. It's fine to use NRaas SP in Uni and WA worlds; I always do. If you use exactly the same settings as you do in a homeworld, you may get results you weren't expecting like Uni students adopting pets all over the place, possibly getting each other pregnant, or picking up rabbit hole jobs if you place such buildings in those worlds, but it's not like the mod breaks or corrupts anything in different world type environments.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I actually found that NRaas story progression reduced the load on my game and stopped it from throwing error code 12's when I saved my game which used to happen when I used EA's bugfest as a "story progression" because it was hyperactive in my games and would do way too many things at once.I could use my homeworld settings with a few minor adjustments in the campus because my sims wouldn't be allowed to have babies or adopt pets there and I have job searches set to manual mode anyways.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Crystal1976Crystal1976 Posts: 154 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > Story progression generally is what provides guidelines for sim behavior and the force that pushes inactive residents in your world -- sims who live in houses of their own all around yours -- to progress in their lives. That is, learn skills, get jobs and move up the ladder in job levels, have and break friendships and romantic relationships, have and raise kids so there can be a next generation, move houses, immigrate in as new residents when called for.
    >
    > As said, NRaas StoryProgression is a modded version that replaces EA's version. The NRaas version is far less susceptible to breakage and is almost infinitely customizable for those so inclined. The EA version, besides being more random in its approach, is very prone to stop working altogether after a couple of generations leaving your sims living in what fast becomes a ghost town. It also tends to emigrate (cull) inactive sims out of your world when it shouldn't.
    >
    > The FAQ page that @Simasaurus09 suggested is the best introduction to the mod. Don't be intimidated by the 17 internal links in the beginning, just scroll past those to get to the readable part.
    >
    > It should also be noted that, unlike several other NRaas mods that work hard to fight game engine abuse, overwork, lag/stutter, etc., StoryProgression actually adds noticeable amounts of overhead to the game especially in large or densely populated worlds. Many players need to dial its speed back a bit to keep things moving smoothly, others also restrict the stories it reports on to keep things moving. Some cannot run it at all, depending on their system and the worlds they are playing. But those who can often find that the extra overhead and management it brings to the game is very much worth the trouble.

Thank you! I will definitely install it, it sounds like it solves some problems I have been having E. A.'s Story Progression.
    F1%2BGTR%2Bcrash.gif

"Whoops!"
    -Nick Mason (Official)
  • bee1977bee1977 Posts: 613 Member
    I haven't used Nraas SP in Uni or WA worlds yet, but that's good to know that I should either make the settings the same as my regular world, or make them limited. I'm thinking I might lower the amount of stories that pop up too. Seems like I'm getting way too many about townies and getting jobs or promotions. Although I have been using the mod for about a year, I'm still learning lol.
    Origin: BeeC1977
    Twitter: @Bee77
    The approach I took with Uni World was to use my same settings anyway but just wait for something unwanted to happen. Then step in to fix it and rearrange whatever settings were allowing it. I don't mind sims adopting pets and getting pregnant (or their pets getting pregnant for that matter) in Uni, but I don't want inactive students marching off in the middle of the term to get full time jobs at the hospital or diner I've placed in town either. And with only a couple of such rabbit hole type lots in my instance of that world, they will try to do so in droves. Or at least the unenrolled townies will.

The WA worlds I didn't feel the need to control so much. I did place a school in France because after many return trips I found lots of children and teens around not amounting to much, and they did dutifully go to school as they should, but it seemed like they never progressed scholastically so it was all just for show. WA worlds are odd places.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!