Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Min specs for the game

Comments

• Options
    engineercarolengineercarol Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    We people are going crazy over sims3... but it's good to know that I'm not the only one who's having hard time meeting the minimum requirements for the sims3...

My only problem is my RAM, it's only 512MB, for XP, you need 1GB to run the game. But I have installed the game, it hanged several times. But everytime I tried I got farther in the game.

I uncheck the "enable fullscreen", then I also set the graphics settings to low details. I also used the smallest size of the screen, like 640x800 (not sure)...

I think it will be very good to play once I meet the RAM requirements...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...and also through this sims3-not-meeting-the-requirements, I am learning a lot of things about RAM... hahaha.. that's a good thing...

If you really like a thing, you should do your best to get it.. upgrading your PC is not a bad thing, actually, you should really upgrade your PCs, right? It's more like, "Oh sims3 is not running on my PC, I need an upgrade!", a reminder...

Am I right?
  • Options
    zigzagzogzigzagzog Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think I need more RAM too. My game is working but slow, have put up a post about it and my Diagnostics. God why do these things have to be so complicated!!!! Ahhhhhh
  • Options
    BallaroseBallarose Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2009
    I keep reading about the minimal specs. What about the ideal specs? I am about to purchase a new laptop and though it is not specifically to run SIMS 3 I would be using it to play SIMS 3 as well so would appreciate any suggestions from the experts out there. Thanks.
  • Options
    Igotyoubabe1967Igotyoubabe1967 Posts: 511 Member
    edited June 2009
    will a laptop like this one work?

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1

Processor AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

Display 17.0" Diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)

Weight 7.75lbs

Memory 4096MB DDR2 System Memory

Total memory slots 2

Maximum memory expansion Max supported = 8192MB

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M with up to 1918MB total graphics memory

• Options
    twov1971twov1971 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I checked Can U Run It before I even bought the game and it said my system surpassed the minimum requirements. I updated all drivers, but the game still crashes after a full black out after 5 minutes of play...ridiculous!
  • Options
    kim246kim246 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    im getting a new pc, does any one know if these specs would run the game ok.

Processor Pentium Dual Core E5200 Processor speed 2.50GHz 800MHz RAM 3GB Hard disk capacity 320GB Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Motherboard Foxconn Skt775, Optical drives DVD±RW (±R DL) Northbridge chipset Intel® G31 Southbridge chipset + ICH7
  • Options
    Dar1d10Dar1d10 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    -____- the sims 3 got me highly upset, i cheched my comp to see if it met the min specs and it exceeds it. But the game crashes while the neighborhood is loading! Where is the patch that can fix this, if so many people are having a problem with the game then why has nothing been done about it yet?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After your game crashes, try again...

or try to change the graphics settings and any other settings found in the options once you're in the game, it is a button with 3 dots... set your settings to low... maybe it will help
  • Options
    carniliocarnilio Posts: 19 New Member
    edited June 2009
    will a laptop like this one work?

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1

Processor AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

Display 17.0" Diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)

Weight 7.75lbs

Memory 4096MB DDR2 System Memory

Total memory slots 2

Maximum memory expansion Max supported = 8192MB

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M with up to 1918MB total graphics memory

Yes.

Upon a quick glance, both RAM and graphics seems more than good enough to play the game, even for a laptop, so it should work out okay for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    kim246 wrote:
    im getting a new pc, does any one know if these specs would run the game ok.

Processor Pentium Dual Core E5200 Processor speed 2.50GHz 800MHz RAM 3GB Hard disk capacity 320GB Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Motherboard Foxconn Skt775, Optical drives DVD±RW (±R DL) Northbridge chipset Intel® G31 Southbridge chipset + ICH7

Processor is good, RAM is okay. Only thing missing in your list is the Graphics card (usually Nvidia or ATI?)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...and also through this sims3-not-meeting-the-requirements, I am learning a lot of things about RAM... hahaha.. that's a good thing...

If you really like a thing, you should do your best to get it.. upgrading your PC is not a bad thing, actually, you should really upgrade your PCs, right? It's more like, "Oh sims3 is not running on my PC, I need an upgrade!", a reminder...

Am I right?

you are right. though I have 8GB of RAM and my game still occasionally is "laggy" or "Choppy" so while you need enough ram for the game to run smoothly, just pouring in RAM don't guarantee it runs smoothly either.

(for a simple explanation of what RAM is for those that are curious, but aren't quite computer-geeks;
    RAM is like the desk inside the computer, it holds all the stuff you work with, so your computer don't have to go spend time fishing out files of an archive, every time it need to read up something for your work, or add something new. The bigger the desk (The more RAM) the more documents you can fit, without overlapping, and your computer save time by not having to go pick up or put in files and other work in the file cabinet, and so becasue it work faster, your game / work experience is more smooth and fast too.)

In addition to the RAM, it is your Processor (CPU) that need to be fast enough (talking GHz). since this is the part that process everything. much like the brain of the computer.

And of course, not to forget the graphics-card, that adds the most confusing part, because that card got it's own processor (often labeled GPU) and it's own RAM Hence why the graphic cards often are described with a certain amount (MB or GB) of RAM.

NB: this does NOT add up to the RAM on your computer though.
    (Ex: if you got 1.5GB ram and a graphics card of 0.5GB your computer does not have 2GB of ram. It still only have 1.5GB)

Point is though, for those that just want answers; More RAM is good. not just for The Sims 3, but for the speed which your computer works in general. But it is not everything either.

Just like a normal human being won't be able to finish his work in two seconds just because he got a 2 kilometer long desk. But a 3 meter desk probably do him a LOT better than 1 meter still ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...and another thing, make sure your PC is clean of any virus...

sims2 doesn't work good on our PC although we exceed some requirements, it's bcoz our PC is full of virus.. and I think you need to clean your system unit physically... I believe dust can hinder the way a PC functions, just like in airconditioning units, and electric fans
  • Options
    EmikooEmikoo Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Well I've realised my new laptop doesn't have the correct processor for the game. So I have the series 4 intel chipset for the graphics so that means I need the 2.6Ghz Pentium D CPU right? But its not actually called that. The closest thing I could find cheap online was;
    Intel Pentium D 925 Processor 2 x 2 MB cache 3GHz CPU -925 OEM
    Is this okay? Or would I be wasting my money?
  • Options
    ChantellhandChantellhand Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    will 2.0 GHZ work on pc???

and where do i look to see if my computer is compatible with sims 3??
  • Options
    ThSnDfLvThSnDfLv Posts: 15 New Member
    edited June 2009
    UGH!:x I installed the game on my dino comp (dimension 6100) after checking that I met the requirements, all good. I try to run it and poof-I need to get a video card, oh wait, the only one that will work on my computer is $70 to buy and $50 to install. That's $170 bucks total for this stupid game. Fine. The games supposed to be amazing, so for the first 2 days it works like a charm, but not for long. Now as soon as I launch the game itself 70% screen turns black ( my comp doesn't crash, I x the game out using the start bar)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    will 2.0 GHZ work on pc???

and where do i look to see if my computer is compatible with sims 3??

Left click the "Computer", and right click "Properties". Check the specs.. compare with the sims 3 requirements.
  • Options
    ToppenzapToppenzap Posts: 773 New Member
    edited June 2009
    ThSnDfLv wrote:
    UGH!:x I installed the game on my dino comp (dimension 6100) after checking that I met the requirements, all good. I try to run it and poof-I need to get a video card, oh wait, the only one that will work on my computer is $70 to buy and $50 to install. That's $170 bucks total for this stupid game. Fine. The games supposed to be amazing, so for the first 2 days it works like a charm, but not for long. Now as soon as I launch the game itself 70% screen turns black ( my comp doesn't crash, I x the game out using the start bar)

70 dollars plus 50 dollars equals 120 dollars, not 170 dollars.
  • Options
    ThSnDfLvThSnDfLv Posts: 15 New Member
    edited June 2009
    actually it is $170 considering I bought the game. :roll:
  • Options
    soldiersgirl83soldiersgirl83 Posts: 19 New Member
    edited June 2009
    .5 of Ram will that make a big diff.?

Yeah I'm using a laptop that fulfills all the base requirements, plus the additional laptop requirements except the additional 0.5 gig of RAM. I want to make sure before I buy the extra RAM that it will actually help to end crashes.

I have the same problem I am going to add RAM I think and buy a new computer not for this reason but I hope it can help my game play smoothen out and stop crashing!I cant even get past building a charator without a crash, so I just keep building charators lol lmao and never get to play, on the upside I am getting pretty good at this costume charactor stuff
  • Options
    AlunamaiAlunamai Posts: 51 New Member
    edited June 2009
    .5 of Ram will that make a big diff.?

Yeah I'm using a laptop that fulfills all the base requirements, plus the additional laptop requirements except the additional 0.5 gig of RAM. I want to make sure before I buy the extra RAM that it will actually help to end crashes.

I have the same problem I am going to add RAM I think and buy a new computer not for this reason but I hope it can help my game play smoothen out and stop crashing!I cant even get past building a charator without a crash, so I just keep building charators lol lmao and never get to play, on the upside I am getting pretty good at this costume charactor stuff

The only thing I needed was ram... and we updated that and it's still crashing!!! I think it's the effing game... and as soon as the idiots at EA realize that the sooner they'll effing fix it... I want to play my **** game! I did not pay $50 dollars plus the cost of RAM ($65) for this to happen!!!
  • Options
    ANA000ANA000 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hello,

My computer is very slow, but i know why, he doesn't meet the requirements, he is 5 years old, but still runs the Sims 3. I was very impressed because i never thought he would.

CPU
    Minimum: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; (Vista) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent [If built-in graphics chipsets then 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.]
    You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz PASS [/b]

CPU Speed
    Minimum: 2 GHz
    You Have: 1.70 GHz Performance Rated at 2.55 GHz PASS

System RAM
    Minimum: (XP) 1 GB RAM; (Vista) 1.5 GB RAM [If built-in graphics then add 0.5 GB additional RAM]
    You Have: 510 MB FAIL: Sorry, your computer does not meet this minimum requirement.

Operating System
    Minimum: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Build Service Pack 32600) PASS
    Video Card
    Minimum: 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 or above / ATI Radeon 9500 or above / Intel GMA 3-series or above)
    You Have: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 (ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 AGP (0x4E50)) FAIL:

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 64 MB
    Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
    Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 2.0

Free Disk Space
    Minimum: 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games
    You Have: 11.1 GB PASS

what i have done to increase the speed is: enlarged virtual memory; disabled all graphics and the sound; byed a cooler.

So check this site: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

thanks everyone.

• Options
    JhoveJhove Posts: 113 Member
    edited June 2009
    First off, not to be mean seriously but anyone trying to run Sims 3 on a laptop should be shot in the face (with water) ;p

This game is the finest in gaming technology and requires a system desktop for such. Lastly I have ran this on 6 computers. Yes 6. 5 desktops and 1 laptop. My findings are:

2- systems running windows xp dual core 2.3ghz processors with 1 ATI X1300 card and 1 Nvidia 8600 GT card and 1 gig of ram ran terribly, however ran. No surprises there.

2- systems running Vista 64bit Quad Core 1.8 ghz with 4gb Ram 512 mb ATI HD 3200 card runs surprisingly jerky :(
    Alot of computer power there but the card isnt supported.

1- system running Vista 64bit Quad core 2.6ghz with 4gb Ram Same Card as the one of the first computers 8600 Nvidia GT 512mb with slightly better core clock of 800ghz runs so smooth that it is incredible. (Sadly it is in the shop being repaired thanks to HP)

Laptop - I dont know much about this laptop, it is my husbands however it is above average. I simply would not even install this game on it. Any laptop running Sims 3 would be a miracle or so top of the line that not your average joe could afford it. However Sims 2 was installed on it and it was complete crap.

My point, you just need a nice processor speed (they recommend P4 for godsakes) and a average card with a few sticks of average RAm. The 8600 Nvidia GT is no prize winning card its also very cheap. Sims 3 needs computing power period. You need an above average system if you want to play it smoothly.

As for the people crashing ..Virus?
    Hello people? Do a complete reformat of your system, update as necessary and diagnose your hardware, no more crashing. Period.

This game is wonderful, it's worth the money put into your system if you love the Sims. It is frustrating to have to upgrade this freaking much for any game. But they are bringing you cutting edge technology for a lifetime of fun with a game, something no game can offer.

P.s although the HP computer ran it the best do not buy HP. Trust me on this.
    The system that ran this the best was:

Vista 64bit Quad Core 2.6ghz 4MB RAM with Nvidia 8600 GT 512mb.
    So smooth that it is simply incredible.

Enjoy Sims 3!

• Options
    Yolande18Yolande18 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    if i buy the nvidia geforce 9500gt 1gb, will my sims run on it?? atm i have an unsopperted graphics card and dont want to pay 80 quid for a new one then it still doesnt work.
  • Options
    palesunflowerpalesunflower Posts: 169 New Member
    edited June 2009
    @Jhove - I have a laptop and it runs wonderfully. Has nothing to do with desktop vs. laptop. You either have the specs or you don't.

Besides, you said yourself that the specs of the laptop you had available were not up to the challenge.

So, point that squirt gun somewhere else, buddy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top