Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stop crowding the DJ, ugh

I made a giant dance floor today. It looks like this:

dj-crowd-1_zpsbi0ln3mh.png

Cool, right?

Except that, uh, as you can see... they're all just crowding the DJ.

dj-crowd-2_zpst21lr5gs.png

They can dance to the DJ's music from below, on the dance floor. But the AI won't do it for most of them.

I can't think of any way to get around this, short of some convoluted process with clubs, doors, locks, and crossing my fingers. It's a public venue, so door-locking settings are limited.

The DJ area is supposed to be for the DJ, but there's no way to tell the sims that.

Any ideas for how to make this room design work? So far the main component of the venue is a wash because these autonomous plumbobs want to all cram themselves into the DJ area.

I'm not holding my breath for a patch, but it would be nice if the AI was a little smarter about dancing to the DJ's music. This isn't the first time I've had sims act weird around DJ booth's. The main issue seems to be that they want to cram themselves in as close to the booth as possible for some reason (in general, not just in this instance). Allowing them to dance to a DJ from further away might fix stuff like this.
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Comments

• MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    Awesome looking nightclub! I don't know, maybe try making the DJ platform smaller so it barely fits the DJ booth?
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Mightydan wrote: »
    Awesome looking nightclub! I don't know, maybe try making the DJ platform smaller so it barely fits the DJ booth?
    Thanks! And thanks for the idea. :) Definitely worth a try. At worst I will end up with some very amusing screenshots of a bunch of sims stacked on top of each other.
    @Mightydan Thought I'd update you on the situation. XD Turns out what I predicted was right:

mush1_zpsoalztab0.png

mush2_zpsd1y4xwn3.png

Then I used cheats to make it even smaller. This lady was determined:

crazyfan1_zpsaardx0fs.png

So that method apparently isn't going to work. What's odd is if I let the sims choose whether to dance and they get pulled in by (presumably) the DJ Hyped Up interaction, then they'll dance from below and use the thought bubble that shows they're dancing to the DJ and not just randomly on the floor. But if I ask them to do it as a group, or individually, with the DJ booth as tiny as possible, they just do the Red X bubble... can't reach him.

Welp, back to the drawing board.
  • MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    Lol that is hilarious. How about enlarging the dance-floor rather than using multiple smaller ones? Maybe they'll stick to it that way.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    Hello.
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. Thankyou for posting the pictures showing us what is happening in your game. I hope that you are able to find a workaround for the issue and that the sims will dance on the dance floor instead of going up to the DJ booth.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ahh. I have the same dj-crowding-thing going in my game :smile: a little bit more dancing would be fun.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I was laughing to myself before I even opened the thread, cos the title rang such a loud bell with me. I often feel like yelling at all the sims crowded around the dj, just move will ya!

DJs in TS4 must have some irresistible deodorant or something...
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I was laughing to myself before I even opened the thread, cos the title rang such a loud bell with me. I often feel like yelling at all the sims crowded around the dj, just move will ya!

DJs in TS4 must have some irresistible deodorant or something...

No it's just another poor pathing issue
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    hmm... maybe have the DJ master meditation so he can teleport or whatever it is they do up to a platform otherwise inaccessible. I would also suggest making the club a lot smaller because there is a lot of empty space. Unless you're going to add a mod to allow for a larger number of sims on a lot, 20 sims max on a lot will look spread quite thin and that isn't what you want to see in a night club setting.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    So funny. I know it must be annoying for you OP but your prediction and then the 'proof' in your screenshots is just hilarious! :D I always seem to end up with Eliza Plumbob Pancakes grinding the DJ... yuk. That women is heading for a drowning. :#
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Sadly the ganging up on the DJ is par for the course.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2016
    Your dance floor is too close move it away from the DJ booth some sims just want to listen and watch so you got to leave room for those that want to watch ant listen. If the dance floor is too close, the ones that want to watch and listen will gather around the sides and front of the DJ booth itself and some behind. Also the NPC DJ from in the public lots in order for you to take over you got to talk to him to get him out of your way in order to DJ and than he stands right next to your sim making it impossible for your sim to move, edit when done.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    I've noticed this in my game too. I've added a velvet rope around the front of the DJ booth in my nightclub but I haven't actually played it yet to see if it has helped at all.
    a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
    Thoughts on a new wall mode?
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Turns out I was horribly wrong about something: Distance.

Distance wasn't the issue:

leveled1_zps605p6lfc.png

Elevation was.

leveled2_zpsqjnkii1k.png

I leveled it out completely and though some still try to dance next to the DJ, they can even dance as far away as the door, as long as there is no elevation in the way. That glass noise you heard was the sound of my mosh-pit-esque dreams being shattered. I could still put the DJ in the pit though, I suppose. Wouldn't be quite the same, but it'd be better than the boring old no-elevation thing going on in the screenshots in this post.

@NZsimm3r Naw, I take what I can get. Was more funny than annoying. Sometimes it's nice to be right, even if it leads to an undesired outcome. XD

@Jessa_Dakkar Along these lines, I've been considering making a special club and cheating a door onto the fence, then locking the door for only club access. Then I might be able to still pull off automated DJ while locking him in. The hitch in the plan, of course, is that the game generates DJs, so I have no way of knowing for sure who to put in the club at any given time and I would probably need to babysit it with a played sim.

The alternative... teleporting, like you said, or an exclusive club door and only have played sims DJ. But I'd rather keep it as automated as possible, so I don't have to babysit the booth.

@Mightydan I've not tried this yet, but I'm curious to see what kind of difference it might make overall. The potential drawback (and the reason I used a bunch of small tiles) is because I wanted to avoid "oosh oosh" city, with sims getting pushed off the dance floor all the time when another sim tries to show off moves.

@Sid1701D9 I think there is room, since there are so many separate dance tiles, but I may experiment with this a bit more. You may be right.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    I am glad that you were able to work a way around the issue, and the sims are now dancing on the dance floor. I am sorry that you are unable to have the elevation that you would like to have in the room.
  • babycake164babycake164 Posts: 1 New Member
    This is soooo late, and idk if this is helpful to anyone, and a fair amount of effort but if you're a perfectionist like me you will appreciate this, if you get live in buisness mod by littlemssam you can own the club as some rando, lock certain doors for just employees and such and then just kinda leave it to do its thing and go play your other families and enjoy the club, no sims in the dj zone
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    edited August 2019
    Triplis wrote: »
    I made a giant dance floor today. It looks like this:

dj-crowd-1_zpsbi0ln3mh.png

Cool, right?

Except that, uh, as you can see... they're all just crowding the DJ.

dj-crowd-2_zpst21lr5gs.png

They can dance to the DJ's music from below, on the dance floor. But the AI won't do it for most of them.

I can't think of any way to get around this, short of some convoluted process with clubs, doors, locks, and crossing my fingers. It's a public venue, so door-locking settings are limited.

The DJ area is supposed to be for the DJ, but there's no way to tell the sims that.

Any ideas for how to make this room design work? So far the main component of the venue is a wash because these autonomous plumbobs want to all cram themselves into the DJ area.

I'm not holding my breath for a patch, but it would be nice if the AI was a little smarter about dancing to the DJ's music. This isn't the first time I've had sims act weird around DJ booth's. The main issue seems to be that they want to cram themselves in as close to the booth as possible for some reason (in general, not just in this instance). Allowing them to dance to a DJ from further away might fix stuff like this.

I think it's primarily coded that way so that the Sims can learn how to DJ. Have you tried the celebrity rope to keep them out? I do have to say that even though you can lock a door against NPCs and Paparazzi, they still get in. They keep storming the stage of my Rock Star. It's frustrating as all get out, so I feel your pain. Maybe there's a mod for this? It's worth checking around.

By they way, you did a fabulous job on that build. I really like the notion of a DJ booth. But for the stark failure of the locking system. Why, EA, why?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Coolspear's got a mod that fixes this. I'd recommend.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---