Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with 0 and 9 Cheat Not Working?

I am playing Sims 4 on a Mac Pro. Everything seems to be working fine with the exception that somewhere along the way I can no longer move objects up or down by using the 9 and 0 keys. I've tried pressing the CONTROL key at the same time and the numbered key (9 or 0) to no avail. I've also tried pressing the alt/option key, and the command (cmd) key, as well as shift... none work. Of course I've also tried just pressing the numbered keys themselves. For additional troubleshooting, I took all the mods/custom content out of my Electronic Arts/The Sims 4 folder and tried that; it didn't work. I deleted my com.ea.Origin.plist in my user/Library/Preferences folder... I even deleted the Origin cache, the Origin folder in both Libraries in Application Support (in my home folder and the other main Library folder). Still... I couldn't get it to work. I have repaired Sims 4 twice so far (it automatically repaired when I moved all the above folders to the trash and started), but the keys are still not working as they should. I have typed bb.moveobjects into the box that appears where you activate the cheats as well as tried to use the keys without first typing in bb.moveobjects (all of this done in build/buy mode). I have also attempted to do the cheat with the Sims 3 camera activated. Also... didn't work.

I can't figure out what I'm doing incorrectly. All other keys and cheats are working.

Other Mac users... can you still access this "cheat" of making objects move up and down through pressing the 9 and 0 keys? Am I missing something?

I read in one thread the suggestion to deleted saved camera positions which are allegedly found in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/VideoCameraStates. It was further suggested to either "delete the file VideoCameraStates.ini (launching the game will regenerate a new one, resetting all your saved camera positions), or you can open it up in Notepad and delete Camera State 9 and all the information underneath it," which is supposed to reset the key or something. But, I don't have such a folder or an .ini file that I can determine... so such advice may only be for PC users.

I'm really flummoxed here. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Anyone know of a fix?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Have you entered testingcheats on and then tried it?
    apple-signature.png
  • GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    Yes. I have used the "testingcheats true" and tried moving without any cheats turned on as well... it just isn't working. But clearly my keyboard is working during the game... even the plus and minus keys work to switch colors of items, etc. Just not the 9 and 0. One interesting thing that I have noted is that with the bb.moveobjects cheat on that if I move an item from a table and attempt to place it on the floor that it will hang in mid air. In other words, it looks as if it is on the floor, but when you change the camera position, it is observed the item is just hanging in mid air rather than placed on the floor.
    Can you go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys and set another key as the CTRL key temporarily, just to check your CTRL isn't broken?

The VideoCameraStates.ini file is in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > VideoCameraStates. Right click on it and select Open with... then choose TextEdit.
    apple-signature.png
    OMG!!! SMH!!! Ever have one of those eureka moments that make you feel like doing a head bang on the desk? *chuckle* Well... I'm almost too embarrassed to write this as it shows how utterly unobservant I can actually be sometimes! Ugh! I was using the numpad on my keyboard--not recognizing that I had to use the numbers on the top portion of the keyboard over the letters. So, a problem I have literally spent countless hours trying to fix was apparently not a problem after all... it was me being blind. All is right now it would appear.

However, that being said I still can't find the VideoCameraStates folder in my Documents>Electronic Arts>Sims 4 folder or anywhere else on my computer. I'm wondering if the folder is not created until you save a camera state? I'm not exactly for certain how to save a camera state or what it is for. I also noticed that if I click on game options after I have gone into a world and played with my sims that it crashes the game after asking for my password.
    Lol, glad you got it fixed :)

The VideoCameraStates folder should be there, can you sort the folder alphabetically by name in list view? It should be right at the bottom. It is automatically generated when you boot up the game. Although the fact that you don't have it may be the issue. I've just uploaded mine here. In the Sims 4 folder create a folder called VideoCameraStates then download and put that VideoCameraStates.ini file in it. Does it now work?

The crashing, is it coming up with a VMmap error? If so could you post with your specs. in this thread - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/868554/vmmap-errors-please-post-here

Thanks!
    apple-signature.png
    I'm sorry, I misspoke. I have the folder, but there is not an .ini file in it. I was wondering if that was because I haven't saved a camera state? I will try your .ini file out, but the 9 & 0 keys are working on my game now that I am using the correct numbers on the keyboard (I have an extended keyboard-Logitech K750. Apparently you can't use the numbers on the numpad/extended portion, but have to use the ones on the upper portion. Who would have figured that?)

It is the VMMap error. I also just got it while going to the gallery. I will post my specs.

Thanks much for you help!
  • KELSEYDAKOOKIEKELSEYDAKOOKIE Posts: 2 New Member
    i use windows mine isnt working well it is but its taking me to the other side of the lot in a corner everytime i do it?? any other people with this problem?
  • littledevil1569littledevil1569 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @KELSEYDAKOOKIE said:
    > i use windows mine isnt working well it is but its taking me to the other side of the lot in a corner everytime i do it?? any other people with this problem?

That's what mine does too. When I zoom back in to where I actually need to be and hit it again it jumps the camera back out. I still haven't figured out why or how to fix that.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    i use windows mine isnt working well it is but its taking me to the other side of the lot in a corner everytime i do it?? any other people with this problem?

Hello. :)

This is the Mac Help Forum and while some of us do use Windows, you will probably get the help you need in the regular Help sections of this forum.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    @littledevil1569

Trash the VideoCameraStates.ini file. You can find it in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.
    apple-signature.png
  • Jellygirl21Jellygirl21 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi I am playing the sims 4 on a MacBook air and recently I found that I couldn't make objects move up and down when pressing the 9 key in build mode. This used to work perfectly fine but when I press the key the camera starts to spin around and zoom out fully. I am using the keys on the top of the keyboard so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please can someone help me because I love to build houses and shops in the game but find it difficult to do this because of the problem.

Thanks,

Jellygirl21
    When did this start happening? Before the latest patch or afterward?
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > When did this start happening? Before the latest patch or afterward?

It started a couple of days ago, I am not sure when the latest patch was released.
    Near the end of May I think. This could be a bug caused by the last patch. Have you checked the Bug Thread to see if other users are experiencing the same problem? Just trying to figure out what is causing it.
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > Near the end of May I think. This could be a bug caused by the last patch. Have you checked the Bug Thread to see if other users are experiencing the same problem? Just trying to figure out what is causing it.

I can't seem to find the thread. Could you maybe give me the link?
    > @Jellygirl21 said:
    > Hi I am playing the sims 4 on a MacBook air and recently I found that I couldn't make objects move up and down when pressing the 9 key in build mode. This used to work perfectly fine but when I press the key the camera starts to spin around and zoom out fully. I am using the keys on the top of the keyboard so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please can someone help me because I love to build houses and shops in the game but find it difficult to do this because of the problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jellygirl21

yeah....I need help....it still wont work!
    Here is a link to the forum section to report Bugs. You should also browse the section to see if anyone else experienced the same issue. If not, start a thread and see if anyone else has similar issues.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-bugs-issues/
  • MetalFetishMetalFetish Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm having issues with any objects raised with the 9 key when placing a lot everything is on the ground. I've tried it with cheats on, with them off, with move objects on, and off, placing the lot while in manage worlds and from build mode. Nothing seems to work. No mods or CC installed.
    Have you checked the list of "cheats" that were disabled with the last patch?
  • amullins0728amullins0728 Posts: 7 New Member
    Hi simmers!
    So I've recently been having a really annoying issue with my game. my ctrl+shift+c buttons are all working, but the cheat console still wont come up. Also, the alt button you can use to place items outside of the grid in build mode isn't working either, and the 0 and 9 buttons aren't working as well. I'm a builder, so this is really inconvenient for me. I've tried the following things to attempt to fix this
    1. use the right shift key instead of the left
    2. go to a different household/ lot
    3. repair the game through origin (done this multiple times, never helped)
    4. restart origin
    5. restart my laptop (mac)
    6. reset the sims 4 folder (drag sims 4 folder out of EA folder and place it on desktop) and then put my latest save into the save file of the new sims 4 folder (It worked once, but shortly afterward the cheats weren't working again)

I also made sure to check to see if my game was updated completely (it was) and I removed all of my cc (didn't help). If it helps anybody out, I'm using a macbook air. Thank you!
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    0 and 9 aren't doing their raise and lower thing. They make the camera spin right out but they DON'T make things raise and lower.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/943019/june-26-2018-patch-notes#latest

Please read the patch notes for the Base Game. They took some cheats away, but accidentally removed useful ones. For example, they may have removed "Reset Sim". (Which I think they did but should be adding it back in). Please post this in the Bug Section of the Help Forums to see if other Builders/Simmers are having this issue and if it was meant to be removed on purpose or was removed by accident and needs to be added back in.