Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Of The Best Packs

2...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's not the best EP ever, not by far. I would have to lay out Makin Magic', Seasons in TS2 or TS3, Bon Voyage where I could own vacation homes, take several townies, and all do things in groups if I chose, visit three worlds in one EP, find creatures like Big Foot, swim in oceans, find seashells, dig for treasures with a shovel (in Seasons?) rent rooms in hotels, or build Apartments and pay a real landlord, in AL, or try to complete all the activities in Super Star at my own sandbox pace in The Sims...and many more I can think of. I'm sorry, but when people say this EP will blow others out of the water I have to pause and say no. :D And even ShowTime (without Simport) was something to do 'at home' and have a lot of fun with it. Then don't even compare Nightlife in TS2 to this EP. It will lose. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's not the best EP ever, not by far. I would have to lay out Makin Magic', Seasons in TS2 or TS3, Bon Voyage where I could own vacation homes, take several townies, and all do things in groups if I chose, visit three worlds in one EP, find creatures like Big Foot, swim in oceans, find seashells, dig for treasures with a shovel (in Seasons?) rent rooms in hotels, or build Apartments and pay a real landlord, in AL, or try to complete all the activities in Super Star at my own sandbox pace in The Sims...and many more I can think of. I'm sorry, but when people say this EP will blow others out of the water I have to pause and say no. :D And even ShowTime (without Simport) was something to do 'at home' and have a lot of fun with it. Then don't even compare Nightlife in TS2 to this EP. It will lose. :p

Yeah, I agree, GT doesn't compare to a lot of the really fun EPs in TS1/TS2. I hope we can see those concepts return, without being mixed into other concepts like OFB retail features were in TS4. It just didn't do it justice.

Showtime was definitely my least liked EP though. Felt just like GTW; 3 grindy, linear careers, and not much room to play the way you want. Then who could forget Katy Perry's celebrity endorsement?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2015

Guuuurl I'm so with you. Preach!

I like this pack, but it's far from being the best. It has some cool stuff and I'm not going to say clubs are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 because they aren't, they are really cool, but a side from clubs this EP is an empty bubble.

It only has one new feature, which is the club system itself, everything else are small additions, like the themed nights, texts and happy hour and the two new skills one which only has 5 levels nothing else and in terms of social interactions there is so little in there! We only got one new romantic interaction "switch numbers" or something.

It's not nearly as full as Nightlife/Late Night, it doesn't have as nearly has many activities as Free Time or Bon Voyage or Super Star and it does not include practically any new social interactions.

And to everyone who screams natural pools that is not a feature, it's an aesthetic thing.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Yeah, I agree, GT doesn't compare to a lot of the really fun EPs in TS1/TS2. I hope we can see those concepts return, without being mixed into other concepts like OFB retail features were in TS4. It just didn't do it justice.

Showtime was definitely my least liked EP though. Felt just like GTW; 3 grindy, linear careers, and not much room to play the way you want. Then who could forget Katy Perry's celebrity endorsement?

True but you could play sandbox and go out and deliver your singing telegrams. lol But if I look at the EPs in TS4 compared to TS1's Super Star not hardly worth comparing. I could sing one day (or try) go to the club and try to do stand up the next, or go try acting or modeling and still gain fame, and it was all up to me if I wanted to pursue all those or none or one. And kicking my Sims out and telling them they couldn't act their way out of paper bag, was hilarious. I guess I really miss the true sandbox, and the many, many activities added to EPs rather than depending on the base to use for those activities.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • siennaSTARsiennaSTAR Posts: 739 Member
    Funny how many people have misread "ONE OF the best packs", isn't it!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    siennaSTAR wrote: »
    Funny how many people have misread "ONE OF the best packs", isn't it!

In some aspects the title is opened ended and could mean best pack in Sims series because the title does not say best pack of Sims 4 so I can see how many could have misread.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Guuuurl I'm so with you. Preach!

I like this pack, but it's far from being the best. It has some cool stuff and I'm not going to say clubs are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 because they aren't, they are really cool, but a side from clubs this EP is an empty bubble.

It only has one new feature, which is the club system itself, everything else are small additions, like the themed nights, texts and happy hour and the two new skills one which only has 5 levels nothing else and in terms of social interactions there is so little in there! We only got one new romantic interaction "switch numbers" or something.

It's not nearly as full as Nightlife/Late Night, it doesn't have as nearly has many activities as Free Time or Bon Voyage or Super Star and it does not include practically any new social interactions.

And to everyone who screams natural pools that is not a feature, it's an aesthetic thing.

It's great to see you love your countin'! I mean, keep it up man since countin' features is the way how you determine if a ep is good or nah.

Whatever: Yup, at this point I can now safely tell whether it's the best... . And it is, for sure and by far. Small things like the "directed story progression" (make townies hook up with each other) I don't even take into consideration anymore becuz the amount of fun has already (by a lot) been exceeded compared to what I was used to before when it comes to content added by/through an ep (in TS2 and TS3 that is, don't remember TS1 anymore).

I have never had so much fun playing. It's a masterpiece of an ep.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2015

Showtime and Ambitions both have that in common: gameplay was based on working your way through checklists and once you reached the highest level with your sim that was that. I must say I did enjoy both magician and acrobat thanks to the funny/great animations added to the careers and the fact their improvements showed in those animations. From a lot of flaws and funny mistakes to perfection. From:

Elijah_513.jpg

to:

Ilja_040-1.jpg

Elijah_486.jpg

It is true however I played just one magician and one acrobat, because once you've done that you've seen it. If by "or we'll end up with an inconsistent mess, similar to TS3" you mean the fact they didn't just deliver us that kind gameplay, I'm glad. Eleven completely different EP's merged, delivering me one great game with loads of stuff to do after clicking on one arrow in a launcher.

The 'what EP is best' discussions always feel a bit useless to me to be honest. Nobody will ever agree, because we all like doing different things in this game. Which, by the way, makes it such a great game (in general).
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2015
    Yes, we do JoAnne, but GT's system is very flexible since it is open ended. It's not just a feature like apartments, the celibrity system or "cars". In fact it's the perfect sandbox tool for a game like TS.

Edit: You can use it to just make your lots play out more naturally, to create certain scenarios, to tell-stories etc. Its possibilities are almost endless. IMO, it's more valuable than all of the features TS3 Late NIght added to the game back then. And we are talking just about ONE feature (yea, I need to stress this since some of us like their counting game).

Best feature in the franchise - check (sandbox)
    Best world in the franchise - check
    by far most objects added to the game in the franchise - check
    many side-features (story-progression, scripted events, sms/phone system etc.) - check
    Backwards compatibility - check
    future proven - check

Sorry, this is by far the most cost-efficient, ergo: best EP we have ever had. And yeah, even if you don't like the theme at all.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Showtime and Ambitions both have that in common: gameplay was based on working your way through checklists and once you reached the highest level with your sim that was that. I must say I did enjoy both magician and acrobat thanks to the funny/great animations added to the careers and the fact their improvements showed in those animations. From a lot of flaws and funny mistakes to perfection. From:

Elijah_513.jpg

to:

Ilja_040-1.jpg

Elijah_486.jpg

It is true however I played just one magician and one acrobat, because once you've done that you've seen it. If by "or we'll end up with an inconsistent mess, similar to TS3" you mean the fact they didn't just deliver us that kind gameplay, I'm glad. Eleven completely different EP's merged, delivering me one great game with loads of stuff to do after clicking on one arrow in a launcher.

The 'what EP is best' discussions always feel a bit useless to me to be honest. Nobody will ever agree, because we all like doing different things in this game. Which, by the way, makes it such a great game (in general).

Yeah, and ambitions was certainly another one I did not like much either.

In a way, I think it's good to discuss our opinions regarding each EP, because if there's anyone at EA reading, it could have the potential to influence what happens next.
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Yes, we do JoAnne, but GT's system is very flexible since it is open ended. It's not just a feature like apartments, the celibrity system or "cars". In fact it's the perfect sandbox tool for a game like TS.

Edit: You can use it to just make your lots play out more naturally, to create certain scenarios, to tell-stories etc. Its possibilities are almost endless. IMO, it's more valuable than all of the features TS3 Late NIght added to the game back then. And we are talking just about ONE feature (yea, I need to stress this since some of us like their counting game).

Best feature in the franchise - check (sandbox)
    Best world in the franchise - check
    by far most objects added to the game in the franchise - check
    many side-features (story-progression, scripted events, sms/phone system etc.) - check

Sorry, this is by far the most cost-efficient, ergo: best EP we have ever had. And yeah, even if you don't like the theme at all.
    This EP isn't the first one to be open ended and all things considered, the rest of Sims 4 in general is less open ended than its predecessors. So I can see how this EP for this version is extremely welcome (and it has a lot of content and a beautiful world on top of that). As for 'by far the most cost-efficient': I don't know about that. The Showtime genies alone provided me five generations of storylines and great fun and after six years I'm still not tired of sending my sims to explore tombs.

As for the world, yes, it looks beautiful, but for me that doesn't make it fit to hold a candle to a lot of the Sims 3 worlds. Is it more beautiful? That's a matter of taste, it's beautiful in a Disney kind of way and I love looking at it. But I don't need Disney and sweetness to get visually satisfied, I also love a barren world like Aurora Skies. Is it 'better'? Nah, not for me. It's closed you know ;)

Sims 4 fans have this tendency to 'prove' quality by confusing it with quantity (and you won't see me questioning the statement Sims 3 stuff was too expensive). I have no opinion about GT by the way, I haven't played it and I really like what I see. I'm pretty sure I'll buy it (I'm not in a hurry though, I'll wait for a sale) and I'm pretty sure it will improve my Sims 4 experience. But I'm also pretty sure it won't beat my Sims 3 experience in general and it won't beat other people's Sims 2 experience.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • lovely_bridelovely_bride Posts: 93 Member
    I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out, but the townies are amazing too
    edited December 2015

This EP isn't the first one to be open ended and all things considered, the rest of Sims 4 in general is less open ended than its predecessors.

Like what? Dates give you a task-list to accomplish. That's true but same goes for TS3. The difference is: TS3 was not transparent at all. It was more of a: hey, let's do random things and maybe it turns out to be good (you can do this in TS4 as well).

So I can see how this EP for this version is extremely welcome (and it has a lot of content and a beautiful world on top of that). As for 'by far the most cost-efficient': I don't know about that. The Showtime genies alone provided me five generations of storylines and great fun and after six years I'm still not tired of sending my sims to explore tombs.

I talk about a sandbox tool which expands on the game of many playstyles and you counter with TS3 showtime (!) genies :o ? Well, alright. Origin shows I have played TS3 for 2300+ hours and I have never seen one of them (I own showtime btw.).
    As for the world, yes, it looks beautiful, but for me that doesn't make it fit to hold a candle to a lot of the Sims 3 worlds. Is it more beautiful? That's a matter of taste, it's beautiful in a Disney kind of way and I love looking at it. But I don't need Disney and sweetness to get visually satisfied, I also love a barren world like Aurora Skies. Is it 'better'? Nah, not for me. It's closed you know ;)

The point is: Windenburg has just too many details + it looks absolutely gorgeous, and I still think that no (!) TS3 world (even those 1 gb custom worlds) can compete with it. Granded: I, myself bought aurora skies as well. And yes, I paid 40+ $ for Roaring Hights. And I still think it was worth it. But it does not change the fact that Windenburg is so much better (diversity + details + fx effects + (to me) immersion.
    Sims 4 fans have this tendency to 'prove' quality by confusing it with quantity

Aha, if you say so. To be honest: I enjoyed every single one of the eps in TS3 but at the same time I can acknowledge that it has never prodivded anything which could possibly come close to the club system in GT.

Post edited by HalloMolli on

• AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 712 Member
    edited December 2015
    It IS a great pack. It is also one of the most important things they've done for The Sims. It expands the gameplay and sets the tone for future expansion packs and content, kind of something Hot Date did back in TS1 where it set the way the game works.
    Post edited by AlanSims on
    HalloMolli wrote: »

This EP isn't the first one to be open ended and all things considered, the rest of Sims 4 in general is less open ended than its predecessors.

Like what? Dates give you a task-list to accomplish. That's true but same goes for TS3. The difference is: TS3 was not transparent at all. It was more of a: hey, let's do random things and maybe it turns out to be good (you can do this in TS4 as well).

So I can see how this EP for this version is extremely welcome (and it has a lot of content and a beautiful world on top of that). As for 'by far the most cost-efficient': I don't know about that. The Showtime genies alone provided me five generations of storylines and great fun and after six years I'm still not tired of sending my sims to explore tombs.

I talk about a sandbox tool which expands on the game of many playstyles and you counter with TS3 showtime (!) genies :o ? Well, alright. Origin shows I have played TS3 for 2300+ hours and I have never seen one of them (I own showtime btw.).

The point is: Windenburg has just too many details + it looks absolutely gorgeous, and I still think that no (!) TS3 world (even those 1 gb custom worlds) can't compete with it. Granded: I, myself bought aurora skies as well. And yes, I paid 40+ $ for Roaring Hights. And I still think it was worth it. But it does not change the fact that Windenburg is so much better (diversity + details + fx effects + (to me) immersion).
    Sims 4 fans have this tendency to 'prove' quality by confusing it with quantity

Aha, if you say so. To be honest: I enjoyed every single one of the eps in TS3 but at the same time I can acknowledge that it has never prodivded anything which could possibly come near to the club system in GT.
    No, I don't do random things in Sims 3, that's what I did in Sims 4. I made up a story about a guy who enlarged items and played around with that, I didn't follow any gameplay. It was fun (also because it was fun to turn it into a comic book story), but the very reason that I returned to Sims 3 was that I really started missing gameplay. In Sims 3 I always follow gameplay and suggestions, and the suggestions always have a 'building up' character to them. So when I accomplish something, the game gives me something a bit harder to do. And while doing those things all kind of story's around that pop up automatically in my head (oh, I could do that with him..., or that), there's a constant interaction going on between me and the game. Not random at all.
    So far (but again, not talking about GT here) that didn't happen in Sims 4. If I followed gameplay it was 'buy a toy buy a toy buy a toy' or collect things and if I didn't follow gameplay I was completely left on my own. That's sandbox allright but not the kind of sandbox I want. As for Sims 2 dating, others can explain that better than me, because I also presented that as 'not sandbox' once, but as I understood it correctly it was a bit more complicated than that. Can't recall why though and I'm not experienced enough in playing Sims 2. Like I said: I really hope GT will bring me fun gameplay wise. Give me ideas and a drive to do things the game wants me to do.

As for the genies: I wasn't referring to your sandbox comment there, but to your statement 'this is by far the most cost-efficient EP we have ever had'. That depends on what you get out of the game is what I meant. This by the way is also what I mean when I say fans confuse quantity over quality (the infamous lists). It's better to have one feature that keeps you occupied for years, than ten that are a bore withing two days. I don't even want to know how much money I spent on Sims 3, but whatever it is, I'd spend it again. I don't quite understand what your point is you never saw any genie btw? They really were in there haha, but you had to look for them ;)

The club system is great feature, although it's still not quite clear to me if it's for me. If it's 'press button and look how your sims start doing things automatically', that's not what I want from this game. The reason I love Sims 3 so much where others don't - I think - is because I happen to enjoy controlling my sims. Giving them orders, guide them through the game, following that game and my imagination. That's just the way I prefer to play. I don't need the game to behave like one of those Bimbo machines: throw in a dime and the monkey orchestra will start doing their routine. Not saying GT is like that, but if it is I won't care for it. Playing for me is not watching what my sims are doing. All I need from the game are the ingredients, I'll do the rest.
    5JZ57S6.png

Elijah_513.jpg

to:

Ilja_040-1.jpg

Elijah_486.jpg

Yeah, and ambitions was certainly another one I did not like much either.

In a way, I think it's good to discuss our opinions regarding each EP, because if there's anyone at EA reading, it could have the potential to influence what happens next.
    I've often wondered why I liked Showtime better than Ambitions, because the careers were comparable (in the sense that they were very strict and closed). And I think it was the fact I preferred those animations and that the building up a career part was done better. It was rewarding to try to reach the highest level for your magician and your acrobat, because they could do neat things in that highest level. Which is why I leave out the singer here, because good lord how I hated those songs :s
    Yes, this is I guess one of the reasons why I keep counterposing. Waving at EA: hi guys, there are actually people in your fanbase who love open worlds and more serious sims and fleshed out life stages and traits and moodlets and CASt and freedom! ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2015
    Cost efficient quality just reminds me of Walmart or McDonalds that concentrates quantity over quality. It actually would be bad if Sims 4 is costing less to develop than the Sims 3 did considering inflation and the games costing more. That is why I think there are too many packs that were released last year. I guess I was around the golden years of the Sims in which Maxoids cared about the quality of their games over selling x amount of packs. I still think the introduction of stuff packs at the end of the Sims 2 was a bad idea. I was really hoping Sims 4 would not bring back SPs and have GPs instead, but sadly was disappointed by that.

The singles life was starting to become the Mana of the Sims 4, so it is nice GT is trying to focus on groups for a change finally. Sims 1 EPs were awesome. I loved the years of the Sims when Will Wright was around. He seemed to have understood humor, humans, and gaming really well. I loved how he understood the balance between success and social using bowling and gutterballs and the mountain pathway illustrating how the Sims worked. There was a list of question he used too like "Do you want to be good or evil god towards your Sims?" "Will you decorate with wood or linoleum?" If there ever is a book of the Sims as a guide to creating the games, I hope those questions get put in it. I need to find that video sometime.

It is hard when a founder or a leader leaves anything. Like Disney hasn't felt the same since Walt died. Nintendo hasn't felt the same since Satoru Iwata died. So I think it is going to take time for Maxis too. As a company they went through a lot of changes in between the Sims 2 and Sims 4 era with people leaving and when Sims studio taking over the Maxis title. It is almost like they are feeling growing pains still. I am sure it wasn't easy when Lucy left too.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    > @JasonAnthonySterling said:
    > Even LGR liked it! What else needs to be said- lol. I love this pack too and the Modern district is great. I'm trying to figure out a way to fit everything there, ha.

I said the same thing! I hold his reviews in such high regard, it's like he tests the game out for me so I can see what's up before getting it.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2015
    GP02 Spa Day is the best pack, I didn't complain about it

EP02 Get Together is better than EP01 Get To Work but there are many things which doesn't work as that should be.
  • sporkpatchessporkpatches Posts: 31 Member
    I absolutely love Get Together. Finally an open ended system (clubs), not like the linear-ness of the careers in Get to Work. And the build mode objects are fantastic!
  • DramaticpianoDramaticpiano Posts: 39 Member
    I need help desiding which pack to get I have wnought to buy an expansion pack but dont nessesaraly want one (i will get stuff,game or expansion pack) which are the best packs to get? Because I really cant deside😁
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I need help desiding which pack to get I have wnought to buy an expansion pack but dont nessesaraly want one (i will get stuff,game or expansion pack) which are the best packs to get? Because I really cant deside😁
    Game pack are probably the best out of the three types. Parenthood is one of my favorites.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Wow a five year necro
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top