Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 7 players who can't get Sims 1 to play again...solution!

hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
copy/paste from my answer to this question, so i thought i'd make a thread.

yesterday on a whim, i wanted to play sims 1 again. it'd been a few months. well, i could not get it to run at ALL. not with my regular "run as admin" or anything. i still right clicked my sims.exe icon, went to properties, compatibility, check box "run program in compatibility mode" and choose windows xp service pack 3. also click box "run as administrator". now that thats done, i expected it to work once again. nope. google search after google search, i finally found the problem.
a windows update on september 9th has apparently screwed up many people sims 1 game, making it not play. trick is to remove it.
remove update KB3086255 and it should work.
control panel, windows update, view update history, click installed updates at the top of tab. there you should be able to remove update KB3086255. this is the only way to play it to my knowledge.

MANY thanks to beatlesblondie over at the Mod The Sims forums for the tip. you saved my sanity!!!
let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
*Team Seasons*
XtR6m6.png

Comments

• MeganEmilyyxoMeganEmilyyxo Posts: 8 New Member
    Omg thankyou so much I was trying everything to get my The Sims to work (Open as Administrator etc) and as soon as I uninstalled KB3086255 it worked.
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    I'm soo glad I could help. :)
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • adupuis0adupuis0 Posts: 231 Member
    edited October 2015
    Thank you for you posting this. Now I can run Sims 1 again
    you are very welcome.
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    There is more info on this here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

This is a security update and removing it may leave your computer vulnerable. Microsoft gives other options to allow you to turn it on and off as required.
  • ElectraPotatoElectraPotato Posts: 156 Member
    This worked for me for a day, but I went to play it again today and it's not working anymore =/
    i'm sorry :( i just checked, mine is still working.
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    Thank you so much for this solution - after uninstalling update KB3086255 please also hide this update or it will install again. :)
  • mab6644mab6644 Posts: 3 New Member
    Gr I don't even have that update as an option. I wonder if another one is the problem
  • PiperTimPiperTim Posts: 1 New Member
    OK, Thanks for the above.. Using the Microsoft link information I was able to enable the secdrv option for the game and it attempted to load the game past the launch screen.

HOWEVER, It now displays an error that it cannot read the CDRom drive on the Laptop that installed the program and I am running the START from?? any ideas?

TJ
    Hello PiperTim,
    After updating with the Microsoft link info, then uninstalling the update KB3086255, did you restart your laptop?
    I would also recommend after uninstalling any programme or Windows Update, to do a disk clean up and defragment your laptop too.
    Is the CDRom drive working for anything else? Try re-inserting The Sims CD again.
    Personally I wouldn't bother enabling the secdrv option - you shouldn't need to.

Good luck with your game! :)
  • MaryCMaryC Posts: 2 New Member
    This worked for me, thank you so much. I still sometimes like to play Sims 1 and have many saved houses that i love and was disappointed when out of the blue it wouldn't load.
  • MaryCMaryC Posts: 2 New Member
    Yikes mine stopped working too. How do I hide the update so it won't reinstall?
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    If you guys have issues with The Sims not working, I made a thread that explains how to get it working. Please note that this only works on Windows Vista through Windows 8.1.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    MaryC wrote: »
    Yikes mine stopped working too. How do I hide the update so it won't reinstall?
    If the update has re-installed, please uninstall it and restart your computer.
    Go into Control Panel then System and Security then Windows Update. Click on Check for Updates.
    This update should appear on the list - right click for the option to hide.

Hope this helps?
    Good luck with your game! :)
  • CapturedAngelCapturedAngel Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2016
    Thank you SO MUCH for this solution! I have spent many hours and days trying to get my Sims Deluxe Edition to work again on my Windows Vista operating system. I was about to give up when I found this solution, and was SO excited that it actually worked! I "hid" the update so hopefully it won't reinstall again. But if it does, now I know how to fix it! Again, thank you for your post!
    edited January 2016
    Thank you SO MUCH for this solution! I have spent many hours and days trying to get my Sims Deluxe Edition to work again on my Windows Vista operating system. I was about to give up when I found this solution, and was SO excited that it actually worked! I "hid" the update so hopefully it won't reinstall again. But if it does, now I know how to fix it! Again, thank you for your post!

you're very welcome! :) I hid the update and it hasn't crept up on me since, so I think you're good.
    Post edited by hellojewby on
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    It was quite a puzzle to get the game running, but this finally worked :) Many thanks!
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    ok so here is what is going on. so i found the update was the problem. i unistalled it. it reinstalled. i re unistalled it. then i checked to see if the update was on the list. but i didnt see it. so i dont know if i have to keep checking. or since i got rid of it twice its gone for good. ill keep checking to see.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
    ok so here is what is going on. so i found the update was the problem. i unistalled it. it reinstalled. i re unistalled it. then i checked to see if the update was on the list. but i didnt see it. so i dont know if i have to keep checking. or since i got rid of it twice its gone for good. ill keep checking to see.
    Have you checked if you have already hidden the update?
    If so, it wont display on the list and more importantly wont install! :)
  • MyabearMyabear Posts: 2 New Member
    Ok so before I uninstalled that update, it wouldn't play at all and just had the admin error. Now, it plays through to the loading screen and then shuts off and says the sims deluxe edition has stopped working..I tried going to properties>compatibility and clicked run this program in compatibility mode for: windows 7 and i tried windows xp AND I clicked run this program as an admin but it still won't work. What do I do now? D:
  • maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    Thank you so much for this! It stopped working on my windows vista PC so then I reinstalled it on my windows 7 laptop and it still wouldn't work.

I am trying your solution now - PC needs to be restarted now *fingers crossed*
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
  • maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thank you so much for this! It stopped working on my windows vista PC so then I reinstalled it on my windows 7 laptop and it still wouldn't work.

I am trying your solution now - PC needs to be restarted now *fingers crossed*

It worked!!
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
  • Taylor21167Taylor21167 Posts: 1 New Member
    I uninstalled the kb308(..) And I thought my Sims 1 would work but it still isn't. Itll show the loading thing next to the mouse for two seconds then just stop and nothing happens. I've tried everything!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    My fiancé just managed to get the Sims 1 and all expansions working via compatibility mode on windows 10. Took a while but we got there.