Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Oh boy I found another great screenshotting tutorial, this one goes into lighting and composition and is geared more towards staged pics if you are one of those people.

Here's an outdoors lighting workaround for TS3 as well.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited February 2021
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Oh boy I found another great screenshotting tutorial, this one goes into lighting and composition and is geared more towards staged pics if you are one of those people.

This is a great tutorial! I'll try to implement this if I ever start screenshooting for stories again
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    So, I'm wondering if I should make an upload schedule because I'm working on so many different playthroughs :thinking: Right now, I'm basically just uploading whatever I feel like each day while trying to not let too many days pass between the previous and current chapter. I don't think too many people are reading my stuff, so I'm not sure how to go about it. I have nothing but time, and have several chapters in my drafts just waiting to be posted. I was thinking of two different chapters a day - one when I wake up and one before bed with the yearly challenge in the middle but I don't know if it matters or not. What do you guys think?

If you post stories, do you prefer a schedule or just post whatever you're in the mood to post?

As a reader, do you prefer having a set schedule so you know when a chapter will be posted or do you like being surprised?
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    So, I'm wondering if I should make an upload schedule because I'm working on so many different playthroughs :thinking: Right now, I'm basically just uploading whatever I feel like each day while trying to not let too many days pass between the previous and current chapter. I don't think too many people are reading my stuff, so I'm not sure how to go about it. I have nothing but time, and have several chapters in my drafts just waiting to be posted. I was thinking of two different chapters a day - one when I wake up and one before bed with the yearly challenge in the middle but I don't know if it matters or not. What do you guys think?

If you post stories, do you prefer a schedule or just post whatever you're in the mood to post?

As a reader, do you prefer having a set schedule so you know when a chapter will be posted or do you like being surprised?

I used to post whenever, but settled on a schedule to motivate myself. Been sticking to it so far... I don't think I would have posted half the posts I did without the schedule!

As for reading, I don't mind. I do miss stories when it's been a while since they updated though. Other times, I don't always get to read them as soon as they're posted, so it doesn't really matter when they're out :)
  • JamesSims528JamesSims528 Posts: 151 Member

I was writing for a set schedule. It helped me keep motivated in my writing, but sometimes it got too stressful. Writing on a schedule is good if you have lots of time for writing (as you seem to do).

As a reader, I find schedules helpful but I don't really mind. As long as the story is being updated at least once every fortnight, I'm good :wink:, though of course if not then I'll wait for the next chapter when it's out.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    okay beverly and alvin. i'm trying to get the parents. now empty nesters settled then i'll move to the kids.
  • NoWindowsNoWindows Posts: 162 Member
    edited February 2021
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    How has Friday been treating everyone?
    It's not really been anything special, which I guess is good, since it means nothing bad is happening!

Also,
    Thinking about starting on a legacy variant, but I'm a little unsure where to start. How do I begin writing a legacy specifically? How do I make it stand out?
    Call me AC1. It won't let me change my name!

Read Watercolor Whimsy here!
    InfraGreen wrote: »

i'm excited after months wordpress gave my screenshot acess.
    NoWindows wrote: »
    How has Friday been treating everyone?
    It's not really been anything special, which I guess is good, since it means nothing bad is happening!

Also,
    Thinking about starting on a legacy variant, but I'm a little unsure where to start. How do I begin writing a legacy specifically? How do I make it stand out?

Introduce your sim, decide what rules you'll follow (if you'll follow any), and start writing. You might also want to decide how you'll choose your heir (this might come under rules).
    As to standing out, I'm not too sure... Choose how you're going to write and from who's point of view. A sim or a narrator? I find that writing from a sim's pov means I can dig deeper into someone's character, rather than just stating actions as a narrator would. However, writing as a narrator makes it easier to write about multiple sim's actions and their lifestyles and what they do.
  • CreeativeSimmingCreeativeSimming Posts: 62 Member
    > @InfraGreen said:
    > Oh boy I found another great screenshotting tutorial, this one goes into lighting and composition and is geared more towards staged pics if you are one of those people.
    >
    > Here's an outdoors lighting workaround for TS3 as well.

This is actually pretty useful. It'll definitely come in handy when I have the cash to afford more lights. haha. Though I wonder, perhaps there are inventory lights like lanterns or what not that you can travel with for those off the lot late night adventures?
    Check out my Simlit: Little Legacy

Banner_small.png

Forum Thread
    > @AnnoyingTiger said:
    > So, I'm wondering if I should make an upload schedule because I'm working on so many different playthroughs :thinking: Right now, I'm basically just uploading whatever I feel like each day while trying to not let too many days pass between the previous and current chapter. I don't think too many people are reading my stuff, so I'm not sure how to go about it. I have nothing but time, and have several chapters in my drafts just waiting to be posted. I was thinking of two different chapters a day - one when I wake up and one before bed with the yearly challenge in the middle but I don't know if it matters or not. What do you guys think?
    >
    > If you post stories, do you prefer a schedule or just post whatever you're in the mood to post?
    >
    > As a reader, do you prefer having a set schedule so you know when a chapter will be posted or do you like being surprised?

Schedules are good as a writer to keep you active. But I find that it could lead to writer's block and possible disinterest in your own story if you're pushing yourself too hard. So I'd say if you set a lenient schedule that gives you enough time to get content out. And if you end up with more than you planned, you can start posting inbetween scheduled updates.

But as a reader I definitely enjoy some sort of regular updates, but I'm usually willing to wait for quality content over rushed deadlines. As long as you haven't totally abandoned a story, I'll happily keep waiting.

Banner_small.png

Forum Thread
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    > @InfraGreen said:
    > Oh boy I found another great screenshotting tutorial, this one goes into lighting and composition and is geared more towards staged pics if you are one of those people.
    >
    > Here's an outdoors lighting workaround for TS3 as well.

This is actually pretty useful. It'll definitely come in handy when I have the cash to afford more lights. haha. Though I wonder, perhaps there are inventory lights like lanterns or what not that you can travel with for those off the lot late night adventures?

Not sure about being able to put any lights in the inventory but it's worth trying. Also if you have debug objects enabled you can use invisible lights on your lot too.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    > @InfraGreen said:
    > Not sure about being able to put any lights in the inventory but it's worth trying. Also if you have debug objects enabled you can use invisible lights on your lot too.

I can't stop imagining there's a portable Ring light out there for just that reason.

Banner_small.png

Forum Thread
    wwriting later moms bringing dinner soon.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

What was for dinner?
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)

What was for dinner?

homemade burritto and soup. which is why i'm writing tommorrow can't rember what i was going to write.
    The food coma is real...
    I can't break away from how cute my sims are being to write about how cute they are being. haha.

Banner_small.png

Forum Thread
  • NoWindowsNoWindows Posts: 162 Member
    The food coma is real...
    I can't break away from how cute my sims are being to write about how cute they are being. haha.
    Mood?
    Call me AC1. It won't let me change my name!

Read Watercolor Whimsy here!
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    @DeafSimmer @BlackUndecimber @JamesSims528 @CreeativeSimming

Thanks for your opinions =D I think I will stick to just posting whatever I feel is best for that day. For me, I find it extremely hard to force myself to do stuff and I worry that if I make a schedule and force myself to stick to it, I'll stop wanting to work on the series in question and get bored or annoyed with it and I definitely don't want that. I might just write down a schedule to try and balance it but not share it so I don't feel obligated to follow it.
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
    That's a good idea. Do whatever makes you comfortable! It'll be helpful to have a personal schedule, just don't let it pressure you into doing something you don't want. If you're not feeling it that day, then revisit it on another day.

Banner_small.png

Forum Thread
    How is everyone's weekend going?

I'm trying to play catch up on my writing. I'm currently 12.5 days behind in my story versus gameplay with several major events happening during that time. So we buckle down and start writing.

Banner_small.png

Forum Thread
    How is everyone's weekend going?

I'm trying to play catch up on my writing. I'm currently 12.5 days behind in my story versus gameplay with several major events happening during that time. So we buckle down and start writing.
    @CreeativeSimming My weekend is fine. Just finished my simlit and now planning on the next story.

Anyways... How is everyone's Saturday?

My Saturday so far has been good. I think it's the first time since last autumn that it was a nice, warm, sunny day, which was nice. I finished chapter 1.24, and I'm hopefully gonna check/edit tomorrow, so it will hopefully be done by Monday (it's a short one). I also started writing 1.25, in the third person, today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top