Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Happy (belated?) Birthday squirrel!

Ff- I'm sorry about dropping off out of reading your story xD I've dropped out of everyone's. including my own. I will catch up to everyone again one day *determined face*
    Probably in the long hours I won't be sleeping when the baby is born. Lol

On the subject of family members who play sims. I actually got my husband to play because the more he watched me the more he wanted to play as well. And we are planning to one day get the girls their own copy as well. Though during the free days we couldn't get it to work sadly :(

Besides that my mom sort of plays... Ish. I grew up with her playing SimCity 3000. She misses it and plays app games that are nostalgic of it for her now. (She's also starting to get Alzheimer's. :( )
    She also bought the Sims theme park when I was little and it was one our entire family played. But the actual "the Sims " games hasn't been wide spread with my family.
    My bro and I dabbled in the GameCube one years ago. Then I picked up Sims 2 in ... 2017? And been playing 2-3-4 since xD
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    How can I get it through people's head that one is NOT able to blacklist an item that Selene isn't wearing 24/7? I'm having an issue with my game that Selene keeps wearing a Space helmet when protesting and I can't get rid of it-I can't even blacklist it because MC doesn't appear when I'm having her protest.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Shadami wrote: »

Ff- I'm sorry about dropping off out of reading your story xD I've dropped out of everyone's. including my own. I will catch up to everyone again one day *determined face*

On the subject of family members who play sims. I actually got my husband to play because the more he watched me the more he wanted to play as well. And we are planning to one day get the girls their own copy as well. Though during the free days we couldn't get it to work sadly :(

Besides that my mom sort of plays... Ish. I grew up with her playing SimCity 3000. She misses it and plays app games that are nostalgic of it for her now. (She's also starting to get Alzheimer's. :( )
    She also bought the Sims theme park when I was little and it was one our entire family played. But the actual "the Sims " games hasn't been wide spread with my family.
    My bro and I dabbled in the GameCube one years ago. Then I picked up Sims 2 in ... 2017? And been playing 2-3-4 since xD

stop aplogizing all i said is my readers went down. its the same story over and over so i get it
  • squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    Wishing my daughter @squirrelwithacup a Happy 18th Birthday! I'm so proud of the kind, loving, sweet, and beautiful person you are. Love you bunches!
    8iRDZ4I.png

AAAAA Happy happy happy birthday @squirrelwithacup 😭😭😭 Welcome to adulting girl! (Can you adopt me now? 😂) I wish you many, many more years, and i hope to be there with you in many more birthdays ❤ I love you more than André loves thumbs 😭❤

@gameplay9098 Awww <3 I hope we'll both get to celebrate many more birthdays with each other <3 Also yes I can, you're officially adopted, congrats :joy:

Also, there's no way anyone loves ANYONE more than André loves thumbs and you know it :joy:

André can't love thumbs anymore than Gameplay loves Squirrel though 😂❤

Okay, you're right. You win this one, but he also can't love thumbs more than Squirrel loves Gameplay :joy::heart:

Aww now i want to give you a hug 🤗

*Big hugs* 🤗🤗🤗
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member

@Shadami Thank you! <3 And hey, don't worry about not being caught up. I understand not everyone has time to read my story all the time, and catching up... depending on where you left off that might take a minute, so by all means don't rush yourself :)

Aww, that's cool that some of your family members play too. I've been dabbling with TS3 a little but I haven't went further back than that.
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ann88cz wrote: »
    Hi guys. I finally made a member so I'd like to share my sims 3 legacy with you. I'm not a writer like many of you here, just wanted to tell my sim's story.

I'd be happy if you visit my blog and let me know what you think in the comments :blush:

You can find the link in my signature.

Hey another Sims 3'er Sims 3 story teller (boy! that sounded awkward)! :grimace: Welcome @Ann88cz! :) I checked out your blog and added it to my read list. I write TS3 stories too. My primary one is my Kass series. Hope you feel welcome here.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited July 2019
    citysimmer wrote: »
    Hi! I've never been in this thread before :sweat_smile:
    anyway, how did you guys get comfortable sharing your writing with others? I've got an idea for a simlit but I'm too nervous to post it anywhere

Hey @citysimmer! I guess the best advice I can give you is jump right in. Share here and wherever you have social platforms. Find your niche. Read other Simmers stuff. And the most important advice - just write for you. We all have different levels of writing skill, different genres we feel comfortable with, and different ideas. I've learned my work isn't for everyone, so I just enjoy writing for the sake of writing. I get a lot of pleasure out of writing SimLit and I don't worry too much about getting followership and readers. :) I wish you well!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Thank you all for the advice!
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    AkramA wrote: »
    anyway, how did you guys get comfortable sharing your writing with others? I've got an idea for a simlit but I'm too nervous to post it anywhere

@citysimmer I think I just post mine rightaway here. not that many people read it anyway hehehe!

i started with 3.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm back and here's the chapter I should have posted last week.
    Chapter seventy two: Revenge
    revenge_orig.jpg
  • AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    I don't think I've ever played sims until I had a headache, I Don't Know Why I Feel It Today. It Feels Like, Something "Changes"
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • RebornMonsterRebornMonster Posts: 552 Member
    Glad you're feeling better, @RebornMonster.

Oh my Sims 3 works. I've just been playing more TS4 recently and TS3 loads so much slower.

That would be cool to trade services. I've got to think about what lots I might need in my games for my stories. What kinds of characters are you looking for? Lately I've been giving Sunset Valley characters makeovers. It's slow going though.

:sweat_smile: Unfortunately, right now, the only sims I'm considering are converts from my WIP. I was seriously considering converting it to a sims story, just for fun, but it's SOOO much work that I've been hesitant to even begin... For instance, I have sunk probably fifteen hours into researching and building for the very first set I would need, and it only shows up in chapter one. I'm still planning on finishing the build (since I think a few people might be interested in a fully furnished University Library for their own games/stories) but I don't have the time or patience to produce on a dedicated timeline. Right now, my WIP is posting 1k words twice a week, and I've only got about 7 weeks worth of writing roughed out... If I dedicate too much time to building sets and taking shots I'll not only fall behind on writing - I'll have to post a LOT slower...

Anyway - I've been going back and forth on it. But, If I do begin working on it, I'd need all the help I can get. There's a MASSIVE cast. :cold_sweat:

Oh my god...a university library. I might need to check out your build. I have one started for my story as well...which has been heavily delayed by building lol.

I'll let you know as soon as it's done. I've been too busy to build the last couple days, but I'll get back to it soon :wink:
    Gen1Banner.png
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @RebornMonster did you check the link I posted?

Yup. I commented directly on the post - though I used the "name/URL" post option, because I have a different username on Google, and wanted you to know it was me. :smile:

i love your username but monsters are usually scary so reborn monsters are probably scarier and your sweet.

Awe. Thank you :blush:

Monster is my real life nickname and Reborn is a reminder to myself that I can always re-invent myself. I promise, nothing scarier than five cent philosophy :grin:
    Gen1Banner.png
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Good timezones, everyone! As I mencioned before, here's the first of my as-for-now updates.

I hope everyone is having a lovely day. :)
    e2UQg4V.png
  • SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    Also, since I'm here, I gotta ask, what did you guys think of the new aestethic for the sims 4?

I think I like the old one better but shs I'll most likely get use to it after a while :D
    edited July 2019

The best way to start is by doing it for yourself. Format your story the way you'd like to read it. Put it on a blog and pretty it up, or put it in Google Docs and format it the way you like - don't worry about what "standard practice" is or anything, just make it appealing to you. Once you have it in a share-able format it's so much easier, because when the opportunity comes to share you don't have that extra "set up" time to psych yourself out, but mostly it's so you can think of your work as complete, as shareable.

The second way is to read other people's things, and comment on them. Give advice if they're open to it, or point out the things you like. One thing I always remind myself is: there's ALWAYS effort there. It takes a part of you to write something, to take it out of your brain and post it on a page, so find that bit that resonates with you and let the author know. If they're open to critique, ALWAYS stay professional. Don't read into their character, but let them know what did/didn't work for you and why. Talk about the characters, tone, message. Ect. If they slip up and say something offensive or strange, assume they don't know any better. Practicing reading other people's work will help prepare you for the interaction with OTHER people reading your work. You'll have a little more trust that they're coming from a good place, and it'll help you build thicker skin and skill at looking at your work more dispassionately. We all know there's a little piece of heart in it - and being able to have it looked at or criticized will help make you better at it, but it's soooo hard to learn not to be defensive or hurt even with the softest critique.

Third, start with small things. If you haven't shared your writing before, start with something that you haven't spent a hundred hours on and is not very meaningful to you. Write a thousand words or so for a prompt and share that (casual writing competitions and the like are a great way to start - especially since they have a built in audience). If you START sharing your work by sharing your baby, it'll be too tender, and if you either don't get feedback or get a poor response, it'll gut you in a way that makes it hard to continue sharing. Just like anything else that you want to be good at, you need to practice. That's why plays have dress rehearsals, and athletes have pre-seasons: to practice before the pressure is all the way on.

Lastly, people will tell you to share it with people close to you that you trust - but in my opinion that is the WORST way to start sharing art. Those opinions will matter more to you - they'll cut deeper than a stranger's words if they aren't favorable. Also, it puts a lot of strain on a friendship, a lot of pressure on them. You take the risk (especially if they're not a writer themselves or someone with experience editing) that they'll only give you positive feedback (which won't help you grow the same way constructive feedback will) or they might say something thoughtless or poorly constructed as criticism and it'll be more defeating that constructive.

That's my experience/2 cents. :heart: Take it with a grain of salt. You know yourself better than me. Sometimes it's more important to just TRY, than to worry about how it's done. :kissing_heart:

*sorry that this isn't very well formatted. I needed to leave for work five minutes ago and didn't have time to proof or edit my post*
    Gen1Banner.png
    i agree reborn. Except my family. XD they're so darn critical and they want people to improve and be their best selves, so especially when it comes to art, my dad will point out the flaws and where I need to improve.

Still did the it looks amazing thing because what proud dad wouldn't. But we both knew that there was terrible things about it xD and he'd help me try to learn how to fix it.

But I agree, somehow strangers are easier to take criticism from, and seem to be more helpful in identifying flaws and how to improve.
    Sourocha wrote: »
    Also, since I'm here, I gotta ask, what did you guys think of the new aestethic for the sims 4?

I think I like the old one better but shs I'll most likely get use to it after a while :D

@Sourocha I don't think I'll get used to the loading screen, it's very unhypnotizing, meaning it definitely will make me insomniac tonight. Also I don't about color theory that much, but who said saturated lime green are good with that dark saturated dark blue, or maybe it's just me. Sorry for ranting hehe.
    I haven't downloaded the update yet. But I did like the green and white loading screen with the spinning plumbob.
    @RebornMonster I really wish someone gave me criticism, people are too nice to me here, hehehe. Or maybe it's just the one the (critical?) one, the one that critique don't read mine hehehe.
    i agree reborn. Except my family. XD they're so darn critical and they want people to improve and be their best selves, so especially when it comes to art, my dad will point out the flaws and where I need to improve.

Still did the it looks amazing thing because what proud dad wouldn't. But we both knew that there was terrible things about it xD and he'd help me try to learn how to fix it.

But I agree, somehow strangers are easier to take criticism from, and seem to be more helpful in identifying flaws and how to improve.

@Shadami I'm definitely not giving my art to my family, I know I would get discourage from them, hehehe.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    *facepalms* why are people so anti-disability in the sims?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited July 2019

The new menu/load screen colors are easier on my eyes than the old white (I get frequent migraines and am light/color-sensitive) and they look decent enough.

Some disabled people play this game to escape real life and don't want real-life issues such as disabilities or long-term illnesses in the game. I play to help manage my depression/anxiety and other issues... I do not want them in my game, nor do I feel a need to be "included" in the game.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member

If you mean the Gurus, they probably can't do it right and are afraid of offending people who are disabled.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited July 2019

I don't really like it, but I'll probably get used to it. The colours don't go well together and the new Sims in the main menu are all young adults and have the same body type - the previous ones had more variation in age, body type and personality. Just my two cents.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top