Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Sims 2 worth buying?

KarenKaren Posts: 29 Member
edited May 2015 in The Sims 2
I have been thinking of buying Sims 2 but Im wondering if its still a good game in 2015. I have heard very good things about it though :)

UPDATE: I eventually got the ultimate collection, and WOW it's so good. I would say its better than sims 3!! Especially the Open For Buisness expansion pack. Best game in the series!
Post edited by Karen on

Comments

• Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    YES! Actually, if you go on the EA website, and go into the live chat, they will sometimes give you the entire collection for free. which happened in my case
  • KarenKaren Posts: 29 Member
    @Olivesplum06 Thanks! Is there a live chat on right now?
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    It's like a support chat, so you go on there and they'll be like, how can I help you? And I said something like, where can I buy TS2 UC, online and after like 5 mins. he randomly gave me the code for it lol.

http://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/?product=the-sims-2&platform=pc
  • Feedinghissheep3Feedinghissheep3 Posts: 92 Member
    i love love love the sims 2! i still play it as well as well as Sims 3!
  • Dawn HunterDawn Hunter Posts: 31 Member
    :) Oh yes buy and play Sims 2 you will have so much fun. they looks so relisted
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Karen wrote: »
    I have been thinking of buying Sims 2 but Im wondering if its still a good game in 2015. I have heard very good things about it though :)

YES! It's more than worth buying if you get some trouble setting up the graphics due to the game being a little old here's something that might help :) :

http://sims4forum.com/threads/sleepyd2k-guides-updating-graphic-settings-in-the-ultimate-collection.901/
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If you aren't so lucky in getting it for free then you only need to purchase one copy of any pack with the code. Follow this thread:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814708/how-to-get-ts2-ultimate-collection/p1
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @Simasaurus09 Okay, it would make sense for me to try that. I bought ts2 second hand only to realize afterwards it was completely scratched. I also had 3 EPs given to me last year so, that should be enough. But just one thing, on the live chat, is it a face to face video call or like a chat room or something?
  • Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    It's a customer service person in a chat box in live time @Karen. And YES Sims 2 is definitely still worth it. It takes a few minutes to get graphics fixed up, but after that it runs beautifully and still has so much quality. It even looks good although the distant view of inactive lots is a bit poor. If the customer service person refuses to give it out try again later. Some will insist the offer is no longer valid, which it officially isn't, but it is definitely possible to still get a code.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • kensgirl73kensgirl73 Posts: 212 Member
    I had to go through hellfire and brimstone just to get it on my Origin account when I already had the games in the first place, I just didn't have the physical copies. So my hats go off to anyone who can just talk to them and get it for nothing...
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    kensgirl73 wrote: »
    I had to go through hellfire and brimstone just to get it on my Origin account when I already had the games in the first place, I just didn't have the physical copies. So my hats go off to anyone who can just talk to them and get it for nothing...
    AKA me. Ahahaha!
    oh3cjs.jpg
    I was lucky extra lucky with the person I got in chat - she' was simmer too :lol: and wound up wanting to chat with me about sims and all the iterations :grin:

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Absolutely. 100% the best Sims game yet to date. If you've never played, some limitations may annoy you (they do for me after having so much more stuff in Sims 3) but you will find that you are far more immersed in your Sims lives, they seem like their own little people. It's far simpler in scope, but so much more detailed. It's hard to explain it. You will miss the loads of content in Sims 3 because of the store, but the content you do have in game is work to achieve, but rewarding and gives you countless hours of fun.

Now mind you I played Sims 2 since release day, but since the announcement of Sims 4 Get To Work I've had PEPS for Sims 2 open for business; and so I been playing heavy because of it - and I have not loaded up Sims 3 in a very long time. Prob like January time. I'm just so into my Sims 2 game again. I'm going to do some simming tonight and I wanna play 3 because I have so much more I wanna do, but Sims 2 is just such a worry free game. I feel like even with 4 mods I'm constantly on guard in Sims 3. LOL

Off to one of the Sims games! I'll decide when I bring up my desktop. Watch it end up being SimCity. (been wanting to...)
  • poppetje33poppetje33 Posts: 18 New Member
    From the Netherlands so excuses my poor English :)Do to reading on the USA forum i got really cuious about the Sims 2. The most simmers talk about how great the Sims 2 serie is. I wanted to try out the Sims 2 with all the packs. I missed the change to get the Sims2 UC for free due to my newborn baby. Did not had time to go online

Almost bought sims 2 collection second hand for €45,- but after reading some tips on the forum i started a chat with EA and asked for it. I didn't get it :'( , only 15% off on my next purchase. I had a chat with USA customservice. So i took a change and called the Dutch customservice. I explained the situation. Because i have all the Sims 3 stuff and all de Sims 4 stuff the nice guy from costumservice gave me the UC for free. Because i'm clearly a big Sims fan ;) .

I started to play sims 3 in 2009 and was hooked. I played the Sims 4 for about 100 hours. I could only play because i choose to play a legacy(diffrence in the familytree). otherwise i was really bored. I'm going to install the UC and give Sims 2 a try.
    Now busy uninstalling all my Sims 3 games before downloading UC. My pc is not that new, 2012 HP Windows 7. Wish me luck
    Good luck @poppetje33 :grin:

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
  • gmomasuegmomasue Posts: 648 Member
    I just got Sims 2 it's down loading now. Thanks to origin for all there help . See my kids got it mothers day on ebay and my windows 8.1 would not let my load it .Call Origin for help ,and they gave me Sims 2 . thank you
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Love The Sims 2
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Definitely!
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    Karen how did you go? did you get it?

I started with sim 3 and just couldn't get enough of it, then sims 4 came out I was so excited, downloaded it started playing and.... got bored really quick. I also had a lot of trouble playing sims 4 on my laptop, it would overheat and shut down after 20mins of play.

So I purchased a new unopened copy of the sims 2 on Ebay for $10AUD. I contacted Origin to see if I could get a digital copy to download. It wasn't easy, I had to take a picture of the disks, registration code plus add a piece of paper with my name and date on it LOL eventually they gave it to me.

I haven't stopped playing it since LOL and it runs like a dream on my laptop. It takes a bit to get used to especially if you're coming from Sims 3. I found not having story progression a little bit tedious but the funny thing is I am now starting to really like having full control over all the sims in town. They can't *fart* without my approval LOL I can switch from house to house for a few sim days each and I now have 4 families with babies so they'll all grow up together over time.

Definitely worth buying, good luck!
    I took the pledge
    @joralyd I got it! The first game advisor was REALLY annoying, he kept asking pointless questions and just taking SO long to reply. The second guy was so nice and helpful and gave me the ultimate collection for free! I think it's almost better than sims 3, it probably is since I still have so much more to try in sims 2
    Fantastic!! I'm so glad you got it. That's exactly how I felt about sims 2, there are just so many different game play options that you couldn't possibly get bored and they've covered all the details so there is so much depth to each option. The cut scenes blew me away lol I wasn't expecting a little mini video of my sims but I think the biggest improvement is the personality traits, they really went into detail with them on sims 2, what a shame it wasn't carried over into #3 and #4

Enjoy!!
    I took the pledge
    I love those cutscenes so much, lol. I went through a phase when I'd been playing a lot and I turned them off for a while, now I don't know what I was thinking :lol:

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    At first I thought it was a scene using random sims which I still thought was amazing then after a few seconds I realised it was actually MY sims which just blew me away lol I think the scenes help to make your sims more personal so you get really attached to them.

With sims 3 I never really got attached it was more about the legacy and moving on to the next family to complete what ever mission I had in mind but with sim 2 for me it's been all about playing the individual families and watching them live, I haven't even explored open for business or careers yet lol
    I took the pledge
  • AllisasAllisas Posts: 48 Member
    You've got so much to explore joralyd! Open for Business is marvelous! I get all fuzzy and warm inside reading about all the nice ts2 experiencing so many are having lately. It has always been my no:1 game. <3
    Every time I get a notification for this thread and it asks me if sims 2 is worth buying, I get this instinctive urge to jump over to this thread and yell YES!!! :D Then I remember it's the title of the thread not a question that is still being asked, LOL :lol:

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg