Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"You Rule" with Options (Aliens Off / On)

Comments

• Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    @MOONDANSR totally agree!

Options over aliens (and other future supernaturals), that would be great over forced game play :D
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @CINEBAR I can respect that & some people enjoy the random fun that games can bring. I just have an issue when it's forced play that disrupts my gaming progress :D

@SCOBRE The way the Sims 2 telescopes worked would be fine with me, as I still had an OPTION as to whether or not I wanted Aliens involved into my game play & would welcome it as opposed to manually checking off a box. As long as it was not a broke as it was in TS3. TS2 Had a wonderful method of contacting Aliens... when we chose to do so (options). :D

This is why TS1 and TS2 were better games, imho, because they really didn't force aliens on you, or magic, and or vamps. Examples of how this is all avoided in game play. If you don't want an alien abduction you didn't make your Sim stay out three nights I a row using the expensive telescope. But you had another one you could enjoy and not worry about it, either. You didn't use the dance sphere on 'high' setting and could still use it and never worry about it. Other than you Sim's low body skill may cause them to get slung from it. lol

You didn't have to worry about the game being taken over by too many vamps. In NL EP, yes there are two vamps. If you don't want to associate with them you don't. But if you do, then you could ask them to turn your Sim. And they never bit anyone (for more vamps in the town) unless you told your vamp Sim to bite their friend etc. Then you have created more vamps in the town by choice and this in turn gave the count or countess 'permission' in the code to bite two or three more Sims. But you had a safety valve in game play. You could buy the potions from a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and give it to those Sims who were now vamps and cure them by the 'influence' feature.

These games had what I call 'safety valves' to reverse what had happened. Like influencing the other vamp Sim to drink the potion and be cured. You didn't have to be friends with them, but just have enough influence.

See, this all in 'gameplay' which is actually under player's control. No toggle needed.

Count and Countess didn't come into main hood unless you associated with them. So, player rarely saw them unless they went looking for them by visiting more than a few community lots.

Didn't want to play magic in the TS1? No problem sell your magic box. Keep the rabbit hole to go to Magic Town if you didn't mind strange Sims and or rides etc, carnaival, but sell everything else.

No one was forced into anything and this is why they are better, because they left everything at the discretion of the player, with those built in safety valves, like being able to sell off the magic box. Or pick and keep what you wanted from it. You ruled. No toggles necessary.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    At this point, I don't care if they use toggles or gameplay elements, as long as I can have the features in my game that I want/don't want while allowing others to have the features in their games that they want/don't want. I prefer the Sims 2/Sims 1 way of doing things, but if it's between toggles and not having what I want, I'll take toggles.
    @MSPHY I agree, TS2 had a wonderful control system that allowed the options I desperately am seeking in TS4.
    OJGRGDT.gif
    MsPhy wrote: »
    At this point, I don't care if they use toggles or gameplay elements, as long as I can have the features in my game that I want/don't want while allowing others to have the features in their games that they want/don't want. I prefer the Sims 2/Sims 1 way of doing things, but if it's between toggles and not having what I want, I'll take toggles.

I may have to give in and agree with this in the end. Just like I had to do in the TS3, because in one lot I sent Sims and more than half the Sims there are aliens in disguise, but still no alien abduction. I'm scratching my head, made the Sim in my avi get involved with one which I was also controlling and there is no longer she could be pregnant by an alien. Great, there goes that story in my head. Met a guy at he bar, he was an alien, she didn't know him at all, but one day he came to her house (I made him) and scared her with his probe, >:) revealed his true nature and she was like yes! Let's get together, lol! (Go figure) but no alien baby, as he walks out of the house and leaves her and back to his disguise.

My chances of her being pregnant are nil now, and he isn't going to be abducted now, either. Or maybe in my story he was abducted back to his home land...but that's not going to happen. Can't play out he was like Star Man, and stuck on earth, and they finally found him, lol, not going to happen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AflutterAflutter Posts: 139 Member
    I'd LOVE to have a None, Less, Normal, More & Invasion option for aliens in my game and for any future supernatural states, for that matter. I also want an on/off toggle for male pregnancy.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited April 2015
    Someone in the GTW forum is trying to get a mod to increase alien-stuff chances working - they were recruited testers the other day. Cross fingers. I'll still pout about needing that, but I'll use it. I'd *MUCH* rather that people who *don't* want an EP's feature to do its thing were the ones who needed to turn to mods to retune their game, though.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @luthienrising I was gonna post something sarcastic about the alien babies vs non alien babies crowd, but thought better of it.. Still making me grin though. You are very smart and diplomatic.

Simply, I do wish there was some way to turn off non-humans, preferably by type as they roll into game in the future. Definitely not a game breaking wish to me though. I save my game every few days and can replay if something happens that I don't want too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    So far deleting new townies is working. I've not had one abduction so far. I know who my townies are because I fixed them, and made familes.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Yesterday in the "Ask" thread I asked
    Quite a few players are upset because the possibility of alien abduction has been lowered. I've seen quite a few

posts by players who said they bought GTW for the aliens and now feel they did not get what they bought.

Is there some reason that some actions in TS4 are not tied to the use of an object? Examples are in TS2

abduction was triggered by the use of a certain telescope or in TS3 if you Sim carried a death flower they

could not die.

The answer I got was
    At launch the rate for abduction was tuned higher than desired. Lowering the rate of abduction was to make sure that alien abduction was not so intrusive. With that said, if you want to increase the chances of alien abduction you can use the satellite dish invention to boost the chances of abduction.

So then I asked
    What if you have done all the things that are suggested to do to increase the rate and you still have not been abducted.....ever?

And I never got an answer to that.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    Yesterday in the "Ask" thread I asked
    Quite a few players are upset because the possibility of alien abduction has been lowered. I've seen quite a few

posts by players who said they bought GTW for the aliens and now feel they did not get what they bought.

Is there some reason that some actions in TS4 are not tied to the use of an object? Examples are in TS2

abduction was triggered by the use of a certain telescope or in TS3 if you Sim carried a death flower they

could not die.

The answer I got was
    At launch the rate for abduction was tuned higher than desired. Lowering the rate of abduction was to make sure that alien abduction was not so intrusive. With that said, if you want to increase the chances of alien abduction you can use the satellite dish invention to boost the chances of abduction.

So then I asked
    What if you have done all the things that are suggested to do to increase the rate and you still have not been abducted.....ever?

And I never got an answer to that.

Desired by whom? A handful here? Or was this a huge backlash? Well, if it is the case a few (dozen?) can get it patched then 3000 should have been able to get toddlers.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Desired by whom? A handful here? Or was this a huge backlash? Well, if it is the case a few (dozen?) can get it patched then 3000 should have been able to get toddlers.
    It seemed like a handful. I get tired of the all or nothing approach with everything. So much for we rule. There is a poll with 25,000 people who have signed it so far for toddlers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    @KIMJO313 Yeah, I remember when TS3 introduced them and how my World was over-run with them. It was awful until they allowed the optional method, which I was thankful for. Just wish they would have done so again (even if TS3 had no alien control).
    One would think they learn in the process of creating this game. Adding the possibility to set the existence of supernaturals made the game much more enjoyable for I think everybody. So they introduce mermaids that become a plague after that and they create alien invasions in Sims 4. It's no excuse it wasn't optional in 3 in the beginning, this is a series and they should learn from their mistakes. Overdoing things has been a problem in this game as long as I can remember.

Concerning the alien abductions, I do like the randomness and surprise factor there. But it should be rare to occur and there should be ways to trigger it like in 2 and 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @KIMJO313 Yeah, I remember when TS3 introduced them and how my World was over-run with them. It was awful until they allowed the optional method, which I was thankful for. Just wish they would have done so again (even if TS3 had no alien control).
    One would think they learn in the process of creating this game. Adding the possibility to set the existence of supernaturals made the game much more enjoyable for I think everybody. So they introduce mermaids that become a plague after that and they create alien invasions in Sims 4. It's no excuse it wasn't optional in 3 in the beginning, this is a series and they should learn from their mistakes. Overdoing things has been a problem in this game as long as I can remember.

Concerning the alien abductions, I do like the randomness and surprise factor there. But it should be rare to occur and there should be ways to trigger it like in 2 and 3.

I don't understand how anyone's Sim got abducted over and over according to some it's true, and pregnant over and over when they gave them satellite in the game to prevent abductions. Was it not working? Was it bugged? Maybe they should have just fixed the satellite.

ETA: See this is the same thing to me as in TS1 when we added Unleashed. Strays everywhere coming into your yards. No one complained. Because they game gave them the sign to keep them out. They had a satellite to keep out abductions. True, this time they made that something a Sim could only build if in the science career. But this is where they failed. It should have been a buyable object or at least unlock with a cheat and let everyone know how to prevent them by using it.

Yes, people don't want satellites on all lots if they jump around, but we all put those signs in our yards in the TS1. And in the TS2 strays and wolves etc. coming and digging holes, we got Dj's modded sign to keep them out.

We modded in or out what we don't like. We never said stop it, stop it all.

I don't understand how anyone's Sim got abducted over and over according to some it's true, and pregnant over and over when they gave them satellite in the game to prevent abductions. Was it not working? Was it bugged? Maybe they should have just fixed the satellite.

ETA: See this is the same thing to me as in TS1 when we added Unleashed. Strays everywhere coming into your yards. No one complained. Because they game gave them the sign to keep them out. They had a satellite to keep out abductions. True, this time they made that something a Sim could only build if in the science career. But this is where they failed. It should have been a buyable object or at least unlock with a cheat and let everyone know how to prevent them by using it.

Yes, people don't want satellites on all lots if they jump around, but we all put those signs in our yards in the TS1. And in the TS2 strays and wolves etc. coming and digging holes, we got Dj's modded sign to keep them out.

But now we do have some players saying stop it all. The players who want no illness, no consequences, no death other than old age, no surprise. There should be some sort of middle ground but it appears many players aren't interested in finding it. Just like in TS3, don't want your Sim to die? Get them a death flower. Don't put your Sim in some situations. I saw someone post about their Sim dying. The player sent their Sim to fix something and it got zapped. Instead of heeding the warning they sent the Sim back to fix the item again. This time their Sim died. Should people be complaining under that circumstance?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    They had a satellite to keep out abductions. True, this time they made that something a Sim could only build if in the science career. But this is where they failed. It should have been a buyable object or at least unlock with a cheat and let everyone know how to prevent them by using it.

The abductions should've been tied to objects like others have said. The part where I disagree with the above quote is I don't think the buyable object should be for preventing abductions (it can be - like it is now, on a 24 hour timer) I think it should be for enabling abductions. The default should be no aliens. You can only get aliens if you have the satellite on your lot. That way you can still use other objects like the telescope, collect rocks, etc without risking an invasion unless you want to.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
    edited April 2015
    Shaobun wrote: »
    They had a satellite to keep out abductions. True, this time they made that something a Sim could only build if in the science career. But this is where they failed. It should have been a buyable object or at least unlock with a cheat and let everyone know how to prevent them by using it.

The abductions should've been tied to objects like others have said. The part where I disagree with the above quote is I don't think the buyable object should be for preventing abductions (it can be - like it is now, on a 24 hour timer) I think it should be for enabling abductions. The default should be no aliens. You can only get aliens if you have the satellite on your lot. That way you can still use other objects like the telescope, collect rocks, etc without risking an invasion unless you want to.

I agree and disagree but what did players do in the other games like preventing the strays in the TS1? They put the sign in their yards. And what did people do in the TS2 a satellite could fall on the Sim's head when watching the clouds or stars too long? they didn't do it. Or just took a second to fill the wish then stopped the Sim before it went on too long. People were not telling EA to get rid of all the bugs in the OR GP, the bees, the flies etc. They were not telling EA, omg, I left fifty dirty dishes in my Sims house and a swarm of flies ate my Sim! Stop it. No, they just risked a little and cleaned it up or got a maid.

It is only the generation of TS3 that started this stuff 'take out everything' and stop having surprises in the game.
    edited April 2015

But now we do have some players saying stop it all. The players who want no illness, no consequences, no death other than old age, no surprise. There should be some sort of middle ground but it appears many players aren't interested in finding it. Just like in TS3, don't want your Sim to die? Get them a death flower. Don't put your Sim in some situations. I saw someone post about their Sim dying. The player sent their Sim to fix something and it got zapped. Instead of heeding the warning they sent the Sim back to fix the item again. This time their Sim died. Should people be complaining under that circumstance?

IMHO, no, should have stopped the Sim themselves. It's like we now have threads about Sims sick all the time. Good grief, the game has provided prevention! Sorry, get a little aggravated with these type complaints. The game has provided if you eat fruits, veggies, juice and tea, who doesn't? they won't get sick or as often, but no, they won't it 'toned' down. Well, my Sims carry a lot of stuff in inventory when I am pushing them and if they get sick it's because I pushed them and didn't heed what foods can keep them healthy.

ETA: You know we play a lot alike and it's not like they are going to die, right? Who cares if they are sick, they don't have to go to bed like in the TS2. Or risk dying from the deadly flu. It's just a freaking moodlet. They will keep going, who cares they have stripes or do a little dizzy animation? that's not going to stop them from doing what you told them to do. It's just a farce, it doesn't matter! They will be over it shortly.

ETA: I read a thread about they wanted the flies toned down in the OR GP. It made their Sims tense...take a bath.

IMHO, no, should have stopped the Sim themselves. It's like we now have threads about Sims sick all the time. Good grief, the game has provided prevention! Sorry, get a little aggravated with these type complaints. The game has provided if you eat fruits, veggies, juice and tea, who doesn't? they won't get sick or as often, but no, they won't it 'toned' down. Well, my Sims carry a lot of stuff in inventory when I am pushing them and if they get sick it's because I pushed them and didn't heed what foods can keep them healthy.

ETA: You know we play a lot alike and it's not like they are going to die, right? Who cares if they are sick, they don't have to go to bed like in the TS2. Or risk dying from the deadly flu. It's just a freaking moodlet. They will keep going, who cares they have stripes or do a little dizzy animation? that's not going to stop them from doing what you told them to do. It's just a farce, it doesn't matter! They will be over it shortly.

I know. They did just a little more than the "germy moodlet" of TS3. It still doesn't mean anything.

Look at pneumonia in TS2. First your Sim catches a cold. You had what a week or so to cure the cold? If you don't cure it then it develops into pneumonia...and you still have a chance to cure your Sim. There's the flu....keep your house clean, no roaches, call the exterminator and your Sim doesn't get the flu. Sims don't have to die from an illness. It's all up to the player. But I guess that's too hard.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I completely agree with this. I think that's why the S3 genies irritate nobody. If you don't want them you'll never ever see them. That's the way it should be imo.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Edited my original posting to include the The Sims 2 telescope system as well.
    OJGRGDT.gif

The Sims 2 had (imo) the best solution to this entire Alien mess. Wish they would have used it or would implement it into the current series.
    OJGRGDT.gif
    While toning it down with the patch has greatly affected my Sims from being Date-Plum'd against my will & knocked up... I still do not see it as a solution to those that enjoy it.

Some type of option or a Sims 2-like item fixed to bring aliens (not just the bloody satellite) would be nice.

While I am personally thrilled how it was corrected, I feel bad for Simmers that enjoy getting date-plum'd & knocked up :/
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    RemySims wrote: »
    So much for options. At this point I don't even think there are aliens in my game. If they are going to implement aliens in a EP they should have options on how many aliens/abductions occur in the game. I'm just a little peeved that they made it even harder for me to enjoy a part of a game that I've loved for a long time. :#

I'm glad I stuck around to read rather than buy the game as I love aliens this is good to know and makes me less interested in the game.

If you love aliens and want them in your game, create a scientist and let him build a satellite dish. Then you can attract all the aliens you want and get your sims men pregnant.

For those who don't want to have aliens, do the same and turn the option off every 24 hours, and you won't get any alien abductions.

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Can never have too many options, IMO. Because options are optional ;)

As for aliens in the game, personally I don't want them, but as I don't have any choice in the matter, then they get treated in the same way as anyone else in my town gets treated if they force intimate intentions unasked for on another. They get locked up. So yeah, I have an alien holding area as they haven't provided me with a 'kill 'em with fire' option :smirk:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison