Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to The Sims 4 on Mac? Look no further!

Comments

• SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    I'm in the market for a MacBook. I'm leaning toward the 13 inch MacBook Air as it's currently on sale... Will it be able to run the Sims 4 and its expansion packs well? Or should I save up and go Pro?

Hello! Your best bet would be to save up for a MacBook Pro. I have the 13" and it runs well. The MacBook Air does not mean the requirements, and although it may run, it will not run well. Good luck!

Simsocity
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    The 13" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro have pretty much the same integrated graphics. If you really want to future proof yourself for adding in a lot of Expansion, Stuff and Game Packs then you should be looking at the higher spec. 15" MacBook Pro or the 27" iMac. All other current model Macs have integrated graphics which aren't ideal for gaming.

The 13" MacBook Pro will handle the game better than the 13" MacBook Air (which does meet and actually exceeds the minimum requirements) though but not by a huge amount, although upgrading to the i7 CPU may help a bit. MacBook Airs are fantastic but are absolutely not designed for gaming. They sacrifice powerful processors and graphics for that lovely thin design and portability.
    apple-signature.png
  • lego5354lego5354 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm new to Mac computers and I can't seem to delete objects. On my PC I would use the backspace key but that is replaced with the delete key on Mac and when I use it it moves it to household inventory. Can anyone help?
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    lego5354 wrote: »
    I'm new to Mac computers and I can't seem to delete objects. On my PC I would use the backspace key but that is replaced with the delete key on Mac and when I use it it moves it to household inventory. Can anyone help?

I usually just drag the item to the SELL box in the household shop.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    how would you delete items in build mode quickly? on the PC its just "delete" in the top right corner but idk how to do on mac... if you press backspace or delete on mac, it moves it in the household's inventory. i have a mac air. thanks ;)

You have to use the other "delete" key if your keyboard has one.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • MinnieMouseMinnieMouse Posts: 262 Member
    I'm planning to get a MacBook Pro soon, and I am curious about the video card requirements/recommendations. All MacBook Pros I see on the Apple site meet the processor and memory requirements, but only the most expensive one has a dedicated graphics card (it's an AMD Radeon R9 M370X). Do I really need that dedicated graphics card, or will it run fine on an integrated card (Intel Iris Graphics 6100 and Intel Iris Pro Graphics are the other two options)?
  • jemerefijemerefi Posts: 5 New Member
    I don't know where more to write. I've wasted my time and money. I write to the developers on a weekly basis, but with no luck. I bought my mac on January and the first thing I did was to buy and download Sims 4, so basically my computer the only thing that has is this game. Every time I try to contact EA for this problem they send me to write in the forum, but I'm really plum off about it. Can't play since January, and I've really lost my patience. Just venting here.
  • KELLYKENNEDYKELLYKENNEDY Posts: 16 Member
    I have have my, Macbook Pro with retina Display for two years and when i play sims 4 on mine perfectly i have had no issues with it at all, and i love the display and colour that comes with the built in retina. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but with my games they are perfectly fine, the only game i can not play on my mac, is sims 3 but i don't mind as i love sims 4 more.
    @KELLYKENNEDY What type of graphics card does your Mac have? I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro right now, but I don't know what type of graphics card will work best.
    It's really very simple. The 13" MacBook Pros should be able to handle Sims 4 but they have integrated Intel graphics which aren't particularly great. The more EPs/SPs/GPs and CC you add to your game, the more your Mac will struggle to run it smoothly. You will find over time that you will have to lower your in game settings to reduce lag.

To future proof yourself you should invest in the top end 15" MacBook Pro with dedicated AMD GPU. It is the only MBP that has dedicated graphics but unfortunately it is a lot more than the entry level 15" and the 13" MBPs. BUT, you get what you pay for. The higher spec. 15" is way more powerful than the 13".

The other major difference between the 13" and the 15" is the processor. It is only possible to have dual core processors in the 13" whereas both model 15" have quad core i7 processors.
    apple-signature.png
    Thanks @BluebellFlora - that's the answer I was looking for. Do you (or someone else with a high-end MacBook pro) know what setting I might be able to run the graphics on if I get the high spec 15"?

Side note: I'm on low graphics on my current PC (crashing at least once daily, and always right when I'm about to save), so pretty much anything is an improvement... :)
    edited April 2016
    Thanks @BluebellFlora - that's the answer I was looking for. Do you (or someone else with a high-end MacBook pro) know what setting I might be able to run the graphics on if I get the high spec 15"?

Side note: I'm on low graphics on my current PC (crashing at least once daily, and always right when I'm about to save), so pretty much anything is an improvement... :)

You're welcome :)

I play on a mid 2012 model 15" with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb and play on high settings. The game runs great but I have noticed that when I installed the last EP it's starting to struggle a bit. Nothing major - if I lowered the settings it would be fine but I hate poor graphics! I have 16Gb RAM installed.

My husband has the late 2011 model 15" with AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1Gb which I have also installed the game on and it works great on there too on high settings. It has 8Gb RAM.

So by that rationale the game should fly on the new 15" with the 2Gb AMD GPUs :D I haven't seen any specific graphics issues reported on those Macs.

This is what my game looks like:

pool1.png

apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora Ahhh what is this sorcery? Such gorgeous graphics!!! Can't wait till my tax refund gets here... Thanks for all your help! I will definitely spring for the higher end model :)
    @BluebellFlora Ahhh what is this sorcery? Such gorgeous graphics!!! Can't wait till my tax refund gets here... Thanks for all your help! I will definitely spring for the higher end model :)

Lol :D

Definitely worth it, my Mac is 4 years old and still going strong. I also have a 9 year old iMac which can play the game although the graphics are rubbish. It doesn't crash though and is fully playable.
    apple-signature.png
  • meggersmeggers Posts: 155 Member
    Hi, I feel so silly for this but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a thread. I'm not new to the forums but I am new to MAC. I figured there would be a button to click somewhere but I cannot find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited May 2016
    meggers wrote: »
    Hi, I feel so silly for this but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a thread. I'm not new to the forums but I am new to MAC. I figured there would be a button to click somewhere but I cannot find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

In the forum section view click NEW DISCUSSION at the top right-hand corner. It's a blue "button".
  • GabeWintersGabeWinters Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone! I am sorry if this is already posted somewhere - I couldn't find a thread related to my particular problem - however, I am having issues with resizing items. I have a Mac and my keyboard is an Apple Magic Keyboard - French Canadian, so Shift + ] does not work, nor does any other key combination with ]. Does anyone have any insight?
    Hi, I feel so silly for this but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a thread. I'm not new to the forums but I am new to MAC. I figured there would be a button to click somewhere but I cannot find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ![/quote]

In the forum section view click NEW DISCUSSION at the top right-hand corner. It's a blue "button". [/quote]

I don't see it, I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm not in the forum section view? Or maybe it's my browser
    I do see it on my phone however
    edited May 2016
    meggers wrote: »
    In the forum section view click NEW DISCUSSION at the top right-hand corner. It's a blue "button".
    I don't see it, I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm not in the forum section view? Or maybe it's my browser

It's on the "Main Menu" section for each subsection of the forum. For instance, you need to go out to the screen where you see all the topics and it is a big blue button that says "Start Discussion" on the right.
    Hello everyone! I am sorry if this is already posted somewhere - I couldn't find a thread related to my particular problem - however, I am having issues with resizing items. I have a Mac and my keyboard is an Apple Magic Keyboard - French Canadian, so Shift + ] does not work, nor does any other key combination with ]. Does anyone have any insight?

Here is a link to the discussion on resizing objects on a Mac. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816221/mac-resizing-objects/p1

If you do not see a solution there, just add your comments there and we'll help you out. :smile:
  • KELLYKENNEDYKELLYKENNEDY Posts: 16 Member
    @KELLYKENNEDY What type of graphics card does your Mac have? I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro right now, but I don't know what type of graphics card will work best.

I have

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

it works perfectly with sims 4 graphics are amazing

I have

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

it works perfectly with sims 4 graphics are amazing

Your onboard graphics are important too - Intel Iris 6100 :)
    apple-signature.png
  • JessieLoveable18JessieLoveable18 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi, How do I find the in game screenshots in my Finder? I can't seem to locate them :/
    edited July 2016
    Usually they are in the Sims 4 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4) in a subfolder called "Screenshots".