Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I play the Sims 4 on my MacBook??

On what kind of settings can I play the Sims 4 on my MacBook?
BTW. I'm super excited for tonight :blush:

These are my preferences:

MacBook Pro Retina (13 inch, medio 2014)

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Videocard: Intel Iris 1536 MB

Comments

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It might be a little lag. with your graphics. so laptop mode may be your best bet...
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Intel's Iris Graphics - while you should be able to run the game to some extent - it will not be a super smooth or particular wonderful experience. Intel graphics of any kind are built into the processor, and that means that you end up with one component doing two jobs. (And rather poorly, at that.)

Integrated graphics like this are not designed to run games, and while they can in some cases, they are extremely susceptible to damage from overheating as they can't processes the graphics fast enough to keep up. If/when the integrated chip goes bad, as it's part of the processor, that means you need to replace the processor.

On a laptop, especially a Mac product, the processor is often soldered onto the motherboard as one piece. (Apple likes to make EVERYTHING one piece, even the RAM on some of the newer models.) You either then have to buy another computer, or end up paying so much for the new processor and labor/repair charges that you could have bought another computer instead. Also, getting it fixed is pointless because the same thing will happen again if you continue with the same habits.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070