Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuck on loading screen, game won't close

Hey guys,

The game is currently stuck on the green diamond with the green bar rotating around it. It is so, so frustrating. After waiting around ten minutes, I finally just decided to close the game/exit out of it. But it won't let me. I've pressed it a bunch of times, I've tried using ALT + F4, I've tried closing it from the taskbar--nothing will work.

Maybe it should be noted that this is the second time this has happened to me within 20 minutes. Each time this happens, it is after going to CAS Full Edit Mode and changing a character's last name, and when I press "play", this happens.

Can anyone tell me what to do?

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    A helpful first step in diagnosis is to pull out all your CC and Mods and try again. Often, a CC conflict especially can be causing this.

If you don't have any CC or Mods to pull out, try this set of steps to see if clears things up:
    1. Origin > right-click The Sims 4 > Game Repair
    2. Move (not copy) Saves, Tray, Mods, Screenshots, and Custom Music folders and the Options.ini file to your desktop. Delete the Scratch subfolder from inside Saves.
    3. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    4. Start the game, and exit the game. Now you have a fresh Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder.
    5. Copy all the folders and the file back and start the game again.

If that doesn't help, post your DxDiag info, all of it. Multiple posts is okay. http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • TeddyLupinTeddyLupin Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2015
    > @luthienrising said:
    > A helpful first step in diagnosis is to pull out all your CC and Mods and try again. Often, a CC conflict especially can be causing this.
    >
    > If you don't have any CC or Mods to pull out, try this set of steps to see if clears things up:
    > 1. Origin > right-click The Sims 4 > Game Repair
    > 2. Move (not copy) Saves, Tray, Mods, Screenshots, and Custom Music folders and the Options.ini file to your desktop. Delete the Scratch subfolder from inside Saves.
    > 3. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    > 4. Start the game, and exit the game. Now you have a fresh Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder.
    > 5. Copy all the folders and the file back and start the game again.
    >
    > If that doesn't help, post your DxDiag info, all of it. Multiple posts is okay.

Thanks for the help!
    Okay, I followed your instructions. The loading screen to get back into the game from CAS is still taking a very long time, and when I try to exit out of it to restart the game, it won't let me.
    Post edited by TeddyLupin on
    edited February 2015
    Alright, posting DxDiag now.

System Information
    __
    Current Date/Time: Saturday, February 7, 2015 10:16:34 PM
    Computer Name: ZACK-PC
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC
    BIOS: F.65
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8CPUs), ~2.4 GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Page File: 4649MB used, 11666MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display
    __
    Device
    Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC Type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Display Device
    Approx. Total Memory: 1792 MB
    Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Drivers
    Main Driver: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10
    Version: 10.18.10.3960
    Date: 10/3/2014 5:36:50 PM
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.3

DirectX Features
    DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
    Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
    AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

Sound
    __
    Device
    Name: Speakers/HP (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VWN_111D&DEV_76E0&SUBSYS_10
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Default Device: Yes

Drivers
    Name: stwrt64.sys
    Version: 6.10.6454.0000 (English)
    Date: 2/5/2013 6:59:48 AM
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Other Files:
    Provider: IDT
    Post edited by TeddyLupin on
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    this suddenly started happening to me about an hour or 2 ago. worked fine this morning. tried the suggested ideas with no luck. i'm soo confused!
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
    > @hellojewby said:
    > this suddenly started happening to me about an hour or 2 ago. worked fine this morning. tried the suggested ideas with no luck. i'm soo confused!

Glad I'm not alone!
    The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 has, from what I can find, no dedicated video memory. The game requires 128MB of it. You've likely been getting away for a while with having the card share your other memory, but we've been seeing more and more people with below-minimum-spec computers hit the wall on the game as it gets updated.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    well, i think i found a solution? when i open the game, i get the regular stuff. and instead of going straight to town (that's where i was stuck on the loading screen for over 45 minutes last night), i chose CAS and made a random. placed him in an affordable house then went to manage households. from there i can play perfectly fine. then i closed my game and re-opened. picked play instead of CAS and everything went fine. no stuck on loading screen. i can now pick/play any household.
    yay working game, but why would going to CAS seem to fix my problem????
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
    > @luthienrising said:
    > The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 has, from what I can find, no dedicated video memory. The game requires 128MB of it. You've likely been getting away for a while with having the card share your other memory, but we've been seeing more and more people with below-minimum-spec computers hit the wall on the game as it gets updated.

So what do you recommend?
    TeddyLupin wrote: »
    > @luthienrising said:
    > The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 has, from what I can find, no dedicated video memory. The game requires 128MB of it. You've likely been getting away for a while with having the card share your other memory, but we've been seeing more and more people with below-minimum-spec computers hit the wall on the game as it gets updated.

So what do you recommend?

If you're shopping for a PC upgrade parts or a new laptop, I advise making a separate topic here to show ones you're considering. A few folks here are good at helping evaluate.
  • simblishsimmysimblishsimmy Posts: 1 New Member
    What is the safest way to take out my cc? I just dont want to take it out and throw it away. I do want to keep it all.
    What is the safest way to take out my cc? I just dont want to take it out and throw it away. I do want to keep it all.

It depends on what you mean by "safest". Nothing you do to take out CC can break your saves - all it will do is remove Sim's hair (they will be bald if they had CC hair), mean they end up in a default outfit, or remove furniture from a build etc.

If you mean that you want to keep the files, just drag them from the Mods folder to some other place. What I do when I'm moving things out of Mods for testing is to make a folder on my desktop called "Mod Holding Space" and drag it there.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member

Hello @simblishsimmy
    If you are having game issues, try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem. Put one item or batch in , test the game , take it out. Then test another one, to find the cause of the issue.
  • smile_be_happy_24smile_be_happy_24 Posts: 1 New Member
    My sims 4 won't get off the loading screen. The "top tips" at the bottom are still changing and the green diamond is spinning along with the music still playing but it has been like that for over 2 hours. I can get out of sims 4 and on to my computer's screen but I can not close the game at all, unlike my other tabs on the "taskbar". I don't have any custom content. If anyone could help me out that would be great. The only solutions to this problem has been to get rid of CC but I don't have any, so any other solution would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    My sims 4 won't get off the loading screen. The "top tips" at the bottom are still changing and the green diamond is spinning along with the music still playing but it has been like that for over 2 hours. I can get out of sims 4 and on to my computer's screen but I can not close the game at all, unlike my other tabs on the "taskbar". I don't have any custom content. If anyone could help me out that would be great. The only solutions to this problem has been to get rid of CC but I don't have any, so any other solution would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hello @smile_be_happy_24
    Try going to task manager and end the Sims 4 program there.
  • Alex_Da_Bug1231Alex_Da_Bug1231 Posts: 36 New Member
    hi, so I have a question as well. So I do have custom content (not that much) and my game is stuck on the loading screen. I tried deleting my recent custom content to see if that was the issue but once I clicked delete it told me the sims was open. So I tried closing the sims but it wouldn't allow me. Any suggestions???
    > @Alex_Da_Bug1231 said:
    > Hi, so I have a question as well. So I do have custom content (not that much) and my game is stuck on the loading screen. I tried deleting my recent custom content to see if that was the issue but once I clicked delete it told me the sims was open. So I tried closing the sims but it wouldn't allow me. Any suggestions???

so I closed it from ending the program and now I'm going to delete a few mods sorry for the inconvenience
    > @Alex_Da_Bug1231 said:
    > Hi, so I have a question as well. So I do have custom content (not that much) and my game is stuck on the loading screen. I tried deleting my recent custom content to see if that was the issue but once I clicked delete it told me the sims was open. So I tried closing the sims but it wouldn't allow me. Any suggestions???

so I closed it from ending the program and now I'm going to delete a few mods sorry for the inconvenience

Hello
    Try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem. Put one item or batch in , test the game , take it out. Then test another one, to find the cause of the issue.
    so I deleted the mods that hurt my game and also closed the program and it worked after that I didn't have to move anything. THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.
    so I deleted the mods that hurt my game and also closed the program and it worked after that I didn't have to move anything. THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

It is good that your issue has been fixed :)
  • Spazzzboy527Spazzzboy527 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a question, i just downloaded some mods and when i tried to open my game it went through the whole loading stage but when it go to the main menu the screen went black, it still has the icon in the corner with the three dots and when i clicked on it nothing came up. And now it wont let me close the game, and i cant do anything.
    I have a question, i just downloaded some mods and when i tried to open my game it went through the whole loading stage but when it go to the main menu the screen went black, it still has the icon in the corner with the three dots and when i clicked on it nothing came up. And now it wont let me close the game, and i cant do anything.

Hello @Spazzzboy527
    The mods may be broken and are causing this issue. You may need to end the sims 4 program by pressing the windows key, getting back to the desktop, then close it in task manager.
  • Spazzzboy527Spazzzboy527 Posts: 2 New Member
    Okay when i tried to exit it the first time with task manager it did not work, bu tit did the second time. Thank you
    Okay when i tried to exit it the first time with task manager it did not work, bu tit did the second time. Thank you

You’re welcome :) You will need to test to see which of the mods are causing the issues.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    If you can get back to your desktop and open task manager (either ctrl+alt+delete or rick click the desktop), under the processes tab you can force the closure of a program.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • GoldenSimmer101GoldenSimmer101 Posts: 5 New Member
    Please help, I went into Sims 4 and it froze on the screen that says Sims 4 on it and I cant delete the tab or any cc because it says that the Sims 4 is running. Please, help.