Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Mac Requirements thoughts?

Comments

• sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    mw1234 wrote: »
    Well, for me it runs great on bootcamp. Since that uses the same graphics card as the mac side (obviously) I'm assuming it will run just as great on the mac side too. I also don't have lots of programs installed, I keep my mac pretty clean so its fast.

I don't have too much clutter in my computer either. Out of the 2TB I have, I think I have 1.82TB left.... So really I doubt I'll EVER run out of room. EVER!

I only have 4gb! I'm on a macbook air. At the moment I have sims 3 & expansions + 2 (super collection) installed as well as simcity. I will probably uninstall sims 3 when 4 comes out though just to make room.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Well, for me it runs great on bootcamp. Since that uses the same graphics card as the mac side (obviously) I'm assuming it will run just as great on the mac side too. I also don't have lots of programs installed, I keep my mac pretty clean so its fast.

I don't have too much clutter in my computer either. Out of the 2TB I have, I think I have 1.82TB left.... So really I doubt I'll EVER run out of room. EVER!

I only have 4gb! I'm on a macbook air. At the moment I have sims 3 & expansions + 2 (super collection) installed as well as simcity. I will probably uninstall sims 3 when 4 comes out though just to make room.

Have you played TS4 before?
    1FKDfKj.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    I may or may not be getting a Mac, but would this Mac be good enough for the Sims 4? :)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-27-imac-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1-tb-hard-drive/5852008.p?id=1218695416606&skuId=5852008

Also, would I be allowed to install the Sims 3 on a Mac even though I purchased a Windows-version of them? :)

That's pretty much what I have, though I think my monitor is smaller (21.5 inch), I've got a Radeon HD card, and I upped the RAM to 16GB (I do a lot of image processing as an amateur photographer). Runs Sims 4 like a dream on my Boot Camp partition, so see no reason why the Mac side should be different.

Since Sims 3 are all dual-system discs (for both PC and Mac, though the Mac version runs under the Cider emulator), you should be able to install Sims 3 on the Mac with no issues; at worst you can download the games from Origin if you registered them with EA when you bought them. I tried to run Sims 3 on my Mac though and couldn't get it to open; I'm not sure if it has something to do with being on OS X Yosemite when the last version of the Mac OS when Sims 3 was out was Lion.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    The min requirement is Mac is much higher than PC. Pc min is 2g ram and 128 video ram, whilst Mac is twice as high . Does it means sims will run faster on bootcam !?
    I'll join the group too -- I'm on a late 2011 iMac 2.7Gb Intel Core i5 (had a 2005 model but it died the day before Sims 3 Pets was released LOL). Been playing Sims 4 on a Boot Camp partition (Win7) but tired of booting into Windows then back into Mac to do my work (writing and image processing -- reminds me I've still got pictures I need to get off my camera from my trip to the Wine Country a couple months back). Been a Mac owner since 2001, but used them since the mid 1990s.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have the latest macbook pro retina with independent graphic memory of 2g. It runs beautifully on bootcam currently. However, being a laptop the fan is making hell lot of noise that I have to turn the graphic down to bare minimum to avoid exceedingly loud fan noise which is highly unpleasant when playing the game .

I've got about 230GB in my Mac partition, but my Boot Camp partition takes up about 300 GB (I was thinking of doing some creating with CAW but I just couldn't get the hang of it), so I'll have over 500GB available once I delete the Boot Camp partition (which I won't do until I'm sure that Sims 4 is running smoothly). Got quite a few programs, mainly Adobe Creative Suite 3 (which I know is out of date but I got it back when I was taking classes and got it on academic discount; can't afford to pay full price for a new version of the suite), plus some casual games; I've been deleting some programs I haven't been using (mostly free downloads I got from various sources).

• PinkElephantePinkElephante Posts: 2 New Member
    What Should I Do? I have a MacBook Air with 1.4 Intel core i5 graphics (that can be Turbo Boosted up to 2.7ghz), but they're still not the Intel Core 2 Duo. Will The Sims 4 still work? Please answer :\
  • PinkElephantePinkElephante Posts: 2 New Member
    What Should I Do? I have a MacBook Air with 1.4 Intel core i5 graphics (that can be Turbo Boosted up to 2.7ghz), but they're still not the Intel Core 2 Duo. Will The Sims 4 still work? Please answer

My Mac:
    1,4GHz Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2,7GHz)
    4GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB
    I have 202,91 GB Free Memory

Will I be Fine?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The Sims 4 Mac minimum requirements have been posted and they are for who haven't seen them. What are your thoughts on them?

Macintosh System Requirements for The Sims 4
    MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 10 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better
    INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

To be honest they seem VERY low....
    Of course they are low, Sims 4 was designed around the lowest specs and I am not bashing it. However, other than the card, the game is not designed to take advantage of higher specs.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I have the latest macbook pro retina with independent graphic memory of 2g. It runs beautifully on bootcam currently. However, being a laptop the fan is making hell lot of noise that I have to turn the graphic down to bare minimum to avoid exceedingly loud fan noise which is highly unpleasant when playing the game .

Its your battery over heating, the fan keeps it cool, you Should invest in a cooling pad. when I play games on my laptop I play on cold surfaces or when I don't want to leave my bed I use a Chillow (Chilling Pillow). I think they are available at CVS Pharmacy, Target, Walmart I don't know about any other stores.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    EAfan99 wrote: »

Have you played TS4 before?

Yes. Just recently uninstalled it
    WLfAA9V.png
  • mw1234mw1234 Posts: 5,400 Member

I've got about 230GB in my Mac partition, but my Boot Camp partition takes up about 300 GB (I was thinking of doing some creating with CAW but I just couldn't get the hang of it), so I'll have over 500GB available once I delete the Boot Camp partition (which I won't do until I'm sure that Sims 4 is running smoothly). Got quite a few programs, mainly Adobe Creative Suite 3 (which I know is out of date but I got it back when I was taking classes and got it on academic discount; can't afford to pay full price for a new version of the suite), plus some casual games; I've been deleting some programs I haven't been using (mostly free downloads I got from various sources).

I have never understood why computers come with 2TB of storage.... It was standard with my purchase but how would I EVER go over that amount in my lifetime?! :p 500GB seems like the perfect amount of storage on any computer nowadays! :)
  • YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    The Sims 4 Mac minimum requirements have been posted and they are for who haven't seen them. What are your thoughts on them?

Macintosh System Requirements for The Sims 4
    MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 10 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better
    INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

To be honest they seem VERY low....

Thanks :) yeah mine fits that perfectly. It's been okay on bootcamp. Not the best but, I kinda hope it will be okay on my Mac.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I thought integrated graphics cards were bad... :o

I know they weren't the best for sims 3, but the requirements for this game are much lower so you should be fine. I've never had a problem.

WLfAA9V.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

Theoretically they are. Just like Macs Integrated cards are not "built" for gaming. Which is why some people avoid them because it means there is no dedicated graphics towards the game. Integrated cards use whatever it has and uses the rest of the system's RAM to play a game. TS3 wasn't completely demanding in the graphics department but it was graphic heavy imo. TS4, not so much.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    I'm just excited to be able to finally play the game! :)
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Simsocity wrote: »
    I'm just excited to be able to finally play the game! :)

Me too, I'm ready to update my Profile pic
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    > @MasonGamer said:
    > Simsocity wrote: »
    >
    > I'm just excited to be able to finally play the game!
    >
    > Me too, I'm ready to update my Profile pic

Wish I could update mine from this silly plumbob. Guess those are the perks of being a New Member! :p Wish they'd give us a CAS Demo right now which could ease our anxiousness until the actual game is released!
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    I am wondering, sorry for my dumbness but why are Mac reqs higher?
    256MB instead of 128MB and 4GB RAM instead of 2GB RAM?
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • SailorgreenylizSailorgreenyliz Posts: 107 Member
    My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, but I have found that the game plays fine on the windows 7 side of my 15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Other then glasses showing up with purple tint in the portrait of the active sim I have not noticed any problems with the graphics. If I can play Simcity with this computer I can play TS4.

The Mac side has far more room as well. I only allocated 103.35 GB to the boot camp partition on my brother-in-laws advice and on this side I have 148.72 GB out of 396 GB (getting this from my system information).
    Origin ID - Sailorgreenyliz
    - Sims 4 Legacy The Green Legacy
  • MokaFuzzMokaFuzz Posts: 2 New Member
    > @MALAiA46 said:
    > I have snow leopard.

You can get Yosemite as a free upgrade.

I have never understood why computers come with 2TB of storage.... It was standard with my purchase but how would I EVER go over that amount in my lifetime?! :p 500GB seems like the perfect amount of storage on any computer nowadays! :)

Mainly for people who have a lot of media files -- just checked and I've got over 200GB in movies and another 125GB in audio. A lot of folks will put their audio/video on their iMac then stream to their TV with the Apple TV system, or they'll use an older iMac as a media server.
    MokaFuzz wrote: »
    > @MALAiA46 said:
    > I have snow leopard.

You can get Yosemite as a free upgrade.

Depending on the age of the computer it might not be upgradable -- my old 2007 Macbook can't be upgraded past Lion because the processor isn't good enough.