Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grandpa's Grove Tractor help!

I have a track laid down and the tractor goes around it just fine, and I have plants and trees surrounding both sides of the track. But when I finished a round none of the plants were harvested and I still had to tend the garden to remove the weeds. Does this thing only harvest trees or is there a minimum distance the plants have to be to the track to be harvested by the tractor?

Comments

• Options
    cercatcercat Posts: 69 Member
    Haven't played with the tractor in a while, but I don't think there is a minimum distance. There is a maximum. If your garden is very large, you will have to go around more than once to complete everything the tractor does. You need to choose from the three choices for each round. If I remember correctly, the watering completed in one round, the weeding in the second & harvesting in the third choice. In my larger gardens, a complete harvest of all plants took 3 harvesting rounds.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited January 2015
    It took me ages to work out the tractor only harvests and weeds the part of the garden that you see that golden haze over it.

You need to do multiple harvests to get it all.

Beware sims inventory becoming too full of harvestables. If you find your tractor and sim resetting and the tractor ending up in a place other than on the track when you finish harvesting, then you probably will find way too much stuff in the sim's inventory. The solution is to keep the inventory empty. Put harvestables in the fridge/storage container or sell/consign them regularly.

Another side affect of too many harvestables in the inventory is unplayable lag. Like 5 minutes (real life time) for a sim to take a single step.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    I just use mine for hayrides :)
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    Aha Karritz you're right, I noticed the haze only appeared over a small part of the garden and they were marked as harvested after the tractor finished its round. Bit disappointing really that it takes multiple runs to completely clear an entire garden. I thought perhaps it was just a max number of harvests in a given spot not the whole thing, so it meant having to split the track into 2 and buy a 2nd tractor. Totally lame imo.
  • Options
    Aha Karritz you're right, I noticed the haze only appeared over a small part of the garden and they were marked as harvested after the tractor finished its round. Bit disappointing really that it takes multiple runs to completely clear an entire garden. I thought perhaps it was just a max number of harvests in a given spot not the whole thing, so it meant having to split the track into 2 and buy a 2nd tractor. Totally lame imo.

I've tried using the hay bales to break the track into sections but I haven't got it mastered yet.
  • Options
    tinkknitztinkknitz Posts: 1,278 Member
    Thank you for your post @GEEKGIRL101, it brings up a subject I have a question about too. May I tagalong?

I love having my Sims garden and add shovels, harvest boxes, beetles etc. in between the rows. Would they interfere with the path? I hear about the learning curve and it sounds complicated. I have short term memory loss (you should see my Post-it notes) and am a slow learner, but love gardens.

I plan to pick it up when it comes on Daily Deal Soon and will be setting my alarm clock :p

I welcome input from any Simmer out there, thanks!
    What do I put for a signature once I have been gifted so much that I own The Store? anybody? Bueller?
  • Options
    So long as nothing is on the actual tractor path you can place whatever decor you like. Sims also need to be able to walk around to of course.
  • Options
    tinkknitztinkknitz Posts: 1,278 Member
    Thanks @Karritz!
    What do I put for a signature once I have been gifted so much that I own The Store? anybody? Bueller?