Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I move my sims to another computer?

124...Next

Comments

• xCupcqke_xCupcqke_ Posts: 2 New Member
    My problem is my laptop has memory issues and keeps blue-screening. I send it in so professionals can fix it but I didn’t copy the folders. When I get my computer back I most likely will lose everything. When I get the laptop back and download Orgin/ Sims 4 again will all my gameplay be there or will I have to reset.
  • xCupcqke_xCupcqke_ Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="xCupcqke_;c-16490890"]My problem is my laptop has memory issues and keeps blue-screening. I send it in so professionals can fix it but I didn’t copy the folders. When I get my computer back I most likely will lose everything. When I get the laptop back and download Orgin/ Sims 4 again will all my gameplay be there or will I have to reset? [/quote]

I wasn’t very clear. I mean if I saved my sims/builds into the gallery will it still be there?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    xCupcqke_ wrote: »
    My problem is my laptop has memory issues and keeps blue-screening. I send it in so professionals can fix it but I didn’t copy the folders. When I get my computer back I most likely will lose everything. When I get the laptop back and download Orgin/ Sims 4 again will all my gameplay be there or will I have to reset.

Hello
    You needed to make a backup copy of your Documents-Electronic Arts -Sims 4 folder and placed it on an external drive. I am so sorry :( If the drive has been completely wiped of data when you sent your laptop to be fixed, you will have lost your save game files, library creations and mods :( The data is stored on your computer, not on the origin server cloud.
  • JuliaNightbakerJuliaNightbaker Posts: 1 New Member
    I have another question. I downloaded the game again on my new computer and everything is reset. I don't care about getting my progress back on this computer, but I want to know if my game progress will remain on my old computer. I save everything regularly on both.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    edited June 2018
    Installing the game on a new computer doesn't change anything on the old one. So your game progress will remain on the old one.
    I have another question. I downloaded the game again on my new computer and everything is reset. I don't care about getting my progress back on this computer, but I want to know if my game progress will remain on my old computer. I save everything regularly on both.

Hello @JuliaNightbaker
    Your game progress will remain on your old computer. What you do in the game on one computer will not affect what you do in the game on the other computer.
  • OneCrazehCatOneCrazehCat Posts: 1 New Member
    Okay so, Since the system WONT let me make a new thread, I'm in a sticky situation. This thread seems like the best place to ask for help, so... Here it goes: I have had Sims 4 for quite awhile on my Old Laptop, i made several characters and houses, i'm very attached to them. Then, i got Cats & Dogs onto it, thats when the issues started. It took up Way too much memory, so i couldn't play the way i wanted to. At the time, i was also having some other issues with Orgin that forced me to delete it Before i didn't upload the houses and people into the community library. If i re-download Sims 4 on my Laptop will my Stuff be there? Also, i downloaded Sims on my new computer. So now i wonder, IS there a way for me to get all of my Stuff and get it into my new Computer?
    Okay so, Since the system WONT let me make a new thread, I'm in a sticky situation. This thread seems like the best place to ask for help, so... Here it goes: I have had Sims 4 for quite awhile on my Old Laptop, i made several characters and houses, i'm very attached to them. Then, i got Cats & Dogs onto it, thats when the issues started. It took up Way too much memory, so i couldn't play the way i wanted to. At the time, i was also having some other issues with Orgin that forced me to delete it Before i didn't upload the houses and people into the community library. If i re-download Sims 4 on my Laptop will my Stuff be there? Also, i downloaded Sims on my new computer. So now i wonder, IS there a way for me to get all of my Stuff and get it into my new Computer?

Hello @OneCrazySimmer
    Make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your old computer that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Now that you have installed the sims 4 game onto the new computer, play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer

Your saves and creations are not stored by Origin in the cloud, so can’t be automatically downloaded. You need to transfer over the folders fron the sims 4 folder on your old computer.
  • StarDestroyer824StarDestroyer824 Posts: 1 New Member
    I also have the sims 4 on a older laptop but within the next few weeks I getting a new Alienware laptop which will be much better for pushing the graphics but what I did when I purchased the downloads I downloaded the game to my external hard drive knowing that I was not looking to keep it on the older laptop dew to the fact I am getting one more up to date. I was just hoping I would not run into any problems when I get my new laptop trying to transfer .
    I also have the sims 4 on a older laptop but within the next few weeks I getting a new Alienware laptop which will be much better for pushing the graphics but what I did when I purchased the downloads I downloaded the game to my external hard drive knowing that I was not looking to keep it on the older laptop dew to the fact I am getting one more up to date. I was just hoping I would not run into any problems when I get my new laptop trying to transfer .

Hello
    This link explains how to move your sims 4 game to another drive without needing to uninstall , download and reinstall it again.
    https://help.ea.com/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Hi. I just purchased a new computer that will be here in a few weeks. Just curious how would you recommend transferring the files. With a flash drive or what? I may do a clean slate but am not sure yet. Its going to be the first time I will really be able to dive into sims 4.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Hi. I just purchased a new computer that will be here in a few weeks. Just curious how would you recommend transferring the files. With a flash drive or what? I may do a clean slate but am not sure yet. Its going to be the first time I will really be able to dive into sims 4.

A flash drive is a much faster way to do it than uploading to a website and downloading again. See @rosemow's link just above you :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SxrahSxrah Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello
    I transferred my game from my laptop to computer. I opened game before adding all my CC and Mods and I also put in my save files and tray files. When I open the game and go into CAS everything works well and all my CC works but when I click to play a household it goes into loading screen then the game closes
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Sxrah wrote: »
    Hello
    I transferred my game from my laptop to computer. I opened game before adding all my CC and Mods and I also put in my save files and tray files. When I open the game and go into CAS everything works well and all my CC works but when I click to play a household it goes into loading screen then the game closes

It could be that you have some old, no-longer-compatible CC or Mods in there. Does it work if they're not included? If so, it's time to find what's dead. You can start here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/941998/broken-updated-mods-seasons-june-2018-patch/latest
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Hello

Hello @Sxrah
    Try testing to see if your mods/cc are causing this issue.
    Move your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Did you download the game from Origin onto your computer? If you didnt, you may need to download/install it, rather than transferring game files.
    Yep I tried the game without mods/cc and repaired it and it's still doing the same thing
    Yep I tried the game without mods/cc and repaired it and it's still doing the same thing

Hello
    Try starting a fresh new save game and see if the issues occur in that game also.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and tried the process all over again and now it works!
    Thanks for your help
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and tried the process all over again and now it works!
    Thanks for your help

It is good that it is working now :)