Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The UI Is Not User Friendly

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I read it all. I had to because it was so detailed and spot on. The UI is a bit frustrating. Build mode was probably the most challenging aspect of the game because of the way it is designed, which isn't very user friendly.

Thanks. I was actually expecting a lot more disagreement and listing of players own personal peeves than it has been met with so far. I was just hoping for this to be a starting point for people to articulate what was working for them or not working about the UI. I think this is an area that affects everyone since a change would likely be an patch/update feature rather than an EP/SP feature. I also think if the game is going to go on for another 5 years, the UI is worth improving since it touches every aspect of gameplay.

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited September 2014
    I commented before release that it drove me crazy that they appear to have been unable to make up their mind WHERE they want interface elements to be. Some stuff on the bottom left, some on the bottom right, some on the top right...then you go into build mode and some is on the top center.

Makes me dizzy just keeping up with the UI.

I'm a big fan of minimalist UI's in games, and in games where I can customize the UI it all goes in ONE place at the bottom edge of the screen in the left to the middle, and is as small as possible. This game.. yah, it's freaking everywhere. It's like someone on crystal 🐸🐸🐸🐸 designed it and they hit different spots on the screen every time they twitched while doing it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • icftlduicftldu Posts: 147 Member
    Yes it is all over the place. Not very user friendly in the least. Wonders if it is something they can/will fix or just another "thing" we have to endure as a trade off.
  • RachaleRachale Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Aoralys said:
    > Rachale wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes, but it would be nice if the briefcase item on the sim icon also stated the return time, so that I don't also have to go over to the career icon to check. Especially because all that pop-up message says is that your sim is at work, and the other icon says your sim is at work and lists the return time. They could have both icons just say the exact same message.

Oh I agree, the sim icon should also say the return time, but I was just letting the OP know there was a way to find out what time incase they didn't know :)
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    A long OP, but well-written and makes really good points.
  • Sebbe_Debbe123Sebbe_Debbe123 Posts: 129 Member
    I actually like that UI. It's smaller and lighter, which results in not taking too much space of your screen.
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    @GreenXen - Very constructive and well reasoned criticisms. It seems that the focus of the UI was aesthetic only (preferring it to disappear into the background0 and gave no consideration to the ergonomics of game play.

I have adjusted to it is all I can say.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    edited September 2014
    After 14 years of the old UI it took some getting used to. The one thing that keeps bothering me is that there's no good way to see a sim's motives or mood to plan ahead. You can't really keep the motives panel up while you play.

The other thing is that in a household with more than 4 sims the pictures become TINY.

Otherwise this is in line with the new ideas in UI design, which really haddn't been changed since the windows 95 days...

The sims wealth and job were new additions to the sims 3 UI... as was age. Although since the line is so thin between teen and adult I do think it should show age.
    Leo_Gruen wrote: »
    Otherwise this is in line with the new ideas in UI design, which really haddn't been changed since the windows 95 days...

@Leo_Gruen, Could you elaborate on what you mean by "new ideas in UI design" which haven't changed since '95?
    The sims wealth and job were new additions to the sims 3 UI... as was age. Although since the line is so thin between teen and adult I do think it should show age.

Does it matter if the info was only introduced in Sims 3 or not? Shouldn't the criteria for inclusion be how useful people find it?

greenXen wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "new ideas in UI design" which haven't changed since '95?

Well, windows 95 (which was actually based off of the earlier Mac UI, heh) was a major change to how we think of computers looking (compare to windows 3.1 or even the original Windows). We stuck with the ideas of a fixed-size space with tabs that changed things for about 25 years. The new UI (which, yes do feel like they were designed by Fischer-Price) are based around a new idea.

For years people on DOS and earlier Windows systems found switching between applications too difficult. Now we live in a world where even on windows people tend to maximize one window and then close the application when they're done. So the new UI reflects the idea that people only want to see one thing at a time and know where to "access" those things when they want to see them.
    Does it matter if the info was only introduced in Sims 3 or not? Shouldn't the criteria for inclusion be how useful people find it?

Well, I personally never found that immensely useful. I mean I can sort of understand recording the career but I'm not sure how many people really know one's wealth status. I know many people who appear rich but are actually not, while other people who appear less wealthy keep a lot in their bank account. I guess this would be useful maybe if it were played entirely socially off of one's property's value, which a person can see and form an opinion of, but I don't know how any sim would know what's in another sim's bank account-- nevermind a roomate situation where that could fluctuate wildly if the household is split up.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by "new ideas in UI design" which haven't changed since '95?

Well, windows 95 (which was actually based off of the earlier Mac UI, heh) was a major change to how we think of computers looking (compare to windows 3.1 or even the original Windows). We stuck with the ideas of a fixed-size space with tabs that changed things for about 25 years. The new UI (which, yes do feel like they were designed by Fischer-Price) are based around a new idea.

For years people on DOS and earlier Windows systems found switching between applications too difficult. Now we live in a world where even on windows people tend to maximize one window and then close the application when they're done. So the new UI reflects the idea that people only want to see one thing at a time and know where to "access" those things when they want to see them.

I'm not doubting your word, but that sounds odd to me. I thought the use of multiple windows and dual monitors for multiple programs was increasing. I know I like to have multiple windows open at once, it's one of the reasons I have stuck with Win 7 instead of migrating to Win 8. I don't like the restrictions on resizing and such when multiple windows are open.

• lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2014
    You know, it never even occurred to me that someone creating the game might not have played it very much. But, now that you mention it, I was rather surprised to hear @SimGuruAzure admit to not being a Sim player in the Live Stream. I didn't expect that most of them would have played much, but I did think they all would have at least logged in quite a few hours of 'product research'.

Only that she didn't do that. She wasn't aware of one aspect of the game (= the ability to move stuff to the trash with the mouse).

I'm playing Sims 3 pretty much since the beginning and you know what I wasn't aware of in the game since last year? CASt. Never knew it was in there until I saw it being used in a Let's Play. I was like "woah, I had no idea!"

These things happen. That doesn't mean that you don't play the game. It just means that you have never tried this one particular thing in the game.
    I'm not doubting your word, but that sounds odd to me. I thought the use of multiple windows and dual monitors for multiple programs was increasing. I know I like to have multiple windows open at once, it's one of the reasons I have stuck with Win 7 instead of migrating to Win 8. I don't like the restrictions on resizing and such when multiple windows are open.

I completely understand where you're coming from. While more people enthusiastic about computers and technology are, you still have people in offices who work on computers all day and think they lost all their work if the minimize a window.

And more people play video games than go to the movies now, so gaming isn't a small group of nerds like it used to be. Look at the number of people who don't understand you really can't* upgrade a laptop asking if they can get a new graphics card for their laptop.

I also felt the sims 3 UI had too much packed into it and felt overwhelmed by it, of course that doesn't mean they couldn't design a UI to show things well. I also didn't like how much of the screen the UI takes up in past titles. By standards now that is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 as sin.

Actually, this game has the most game-like UI yet with top and bottom bars designed more like a HUD than anything else.

One thing that does kind bug me is the combobox for function sort. I guess that's to make it easier to add new ones later but... it's kind of annoying.

(*Apart from the hard disk and the ram, really.)
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    I hate the camera controls locations.

I also wish the Gallery search would not reset every single time. Instead, it should remember my last search settings.

Other than that, I love the UI.
  • ShaneyBoyShaneyBoy Posts: 2,134 Member
    Great post, and I definitely agree, the UI does my head in. Alongside not being able to see their needs etc. while they are at work, it also annoys me how we can't see Sims who we haven't brought to the current lots needs, too.
    lady8jane wrote: »
    You know, it never even occurred to me that someone creating the game might not have played it very much. But, now that you mention it, I was rather surprised to hear @SimGuruAzure admit to not being a Sim player in the Live Stream. I didn't expect that most of them would have played much, but I did think they all would have at least logged in quite a few hours of 'product research'.

Only that she didn't do that. She wasn't aware of one aspect of the game (= the ability to move stuff to the trash with the mouse).

I'm playing Sims 3 pretty much since the beginning and you know what I wasn't aware of in the game since last year? CASt. Never knew it was in there until I saw it being used in a Let's Play. I was like "woah, I had no idea!"

These things happen. That doesn't mean that you don't play the game. It just means that you have never tried this one particular thing in the game.

Didn't she? It's possible that I'm misremembering or heard something that wasn't there with the audio trouble they had in that stream, but I thought she did indicate that.
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    I think that if it was any more user friendly, it would take us by the hand and spoon-feed baby food to us while massaging our feet and telling us how great we are. On a rainbow. Made of pie.

No offense intended, just my humble opinion.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • FatCatFatCat Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited September 2014
    I agree with it all. Especially number 10:
    10. Back edge scrolling is disabled (especially in Build Mode) because of the UI. This is too basic a function to be disabled.

This has ruined build- and buy mode for me :(
    In fact, every UI menu blocks the edge-scrolling, even in live-mode, it is ridiculous and annoying.
    The back-scrolling in live-mode is "off the edge"... what the....

I'm an avid edge-scroller with fast speed and no acceleration,
    I do not ever use the keyboard with sim games nor do not like the other mouse-scrolling method.
    (hold down left mousebutton) This is a PC game ffs, where edge scrolling is BASIC stuff.

EDIT:
    When at work, I can’t seen anything. I can’t see how the needs are holding up to tell if I can push my Sim to “Work Hard” or see if he needs more socialization. I can’t even see what time my Sim gets home from work. Why?
    20hnae0.jpg

When I first noticed this I thought I did something wrong.
    But it turned out this is working as intented :/ Great......

Put dispenser hereanimaatjes-cupcake-13719.gif
  • Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    I agree. I'm getting used to it, but you're right, it's a mess and not user friendly.
  • Blueboy2323Blueboy2323 Posts: 179 Member
    The UI feels like it was designed for a tablet, or some sort of touch device imo.
    p3herocutin0mj8n.png
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    I love the new UI, it's my favorite so far. I'ts clean, crisp and clear
    My origin id is sim2011
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Lol, no worries, @litabelaqua. I know it's long and most aren't going to read it. But, the UI does feel a mess and I figured the only hope of getting some points addressed would be to list them out.

Now that you mention it more advanced games have it now were you can go to an options screen and adjust the you I tabs around to be more friendly to your needs.

But to answer your 18 points as simple as I can of why this wasn't done in the first place (not enough time). LOL that's starting to be a terrible laughable excuse. That i hope dev's don't really think we actually excuse it. It's not like EA is a indie developer. They're a fortune 500 company that makes billions of dollars. Yeah a handful of people may accept the excuse but the over all player of the game are not. You make time for the game to make sure it's advanced, not make sure you head for incredibly ridiculous dead lines.

Deadlines so tight that theres not time to even color the ui.
  • horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I commented before release that it drove me crazy that they appear to have been unable to make up their mind WHERE they want interface elements to be. Some stuff on the bottom left, some on the bottom right, some on the top right...then you go into build mode and some is on the top center.

Makes me dizzy just keeping up with the UI.

I'm a big fan of minimalist UI's in games, and in games where I can customize the UI it all goes in ONE place at the bottom edge of the screen in the left to the middle, and is as small as possible. This game.. yah, it's freaking everywhere. It's like someone on crystal 🐸🐸🐸🐸 designed it and they hit different spots on the screen every time they twitched while doing it.

I agree with this. I'm finding the UI very clunky to work with. I particularly hate that the notifications icon is by the options icon. I'm always clicking the wrong one. I find that very frustrating.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • KerensaLysereKerensaLysere Posts: 86 Member
    It's really frustrating to me that I can't have the needs constantly displayed because it blocks too much of the screen, and the edge scrolling not working through the UI is honestly one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion. It takes the fun out of the game every time I have to stop and think about how to get it to move the way I want.

I'm slowly starting to get better at using it, but it's hard when I have over ten years experience with other sim games telling me how to do things and it doesn't apply.
  • lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2014
    lady8jane wrote: »

Didn't she? It's possible that I'm misremembering or heard something that wasn't there with the audio trouble they had in that stream, but I thought she did indicate that.

Nope, she didn't, she just talked about not having known that she can move stuff with the mouse to the trash/sink.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top