Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Every mod I try to write or use goes kaput.

mgomezmgomez Posts: 126 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
I have tried practically everything. Nothing really quite works.

First off, I've enabled script mods in the game. There's no question about that. However, when I insert a script mod (in its zip file), the game completely ignores it. It appears on the list of mods, but the mods don't work as intended.

The Resource.cfg is the default one included with the game. I even dumped the maslow mod included with the tutorial from SimsModSquad. It's just sitting there and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? I'm banging my head on the desk so hard right now, I am starting to see ghosts.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Do you see any error messages when the script should be running? Or is it more like your mod was never seen by the game at all?
  • mgomezmgomez Posts: 126 Member
    I'm not sure where I'm supposed to look to find error messages. However, the game behaves as if though the mod isn't there, despite the fact that the mod appeared in its mod list.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Yeah I've not actually started trying mods yet but I thought the question was worth asking cos anyone who can help you is probably gonna want to know that detail.
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    Do script mods need to be installed differently or are they still packed up as a .package file? Noted that you said 'in it's zip file' so I'm wondering if you hadn't extracted the package file by itself into the Mods folder.
  • TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member
    Do script mods need to be installed differently or are they still packed up as a .package file? Noted that you said 'in it's zip file' so I'm wondering if you hadn't extracted the package file by itself into the Mods folder.

Script mods (and only script mods) need to be in the zip file to work. I know that's counter-intuitive to how most CC works, but that's how they made it.
    [Sims 4 Cheat Resource] || [My Mods - Base Game] || [My Mods - Expansions]
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

I'm now on Twitter. I'd love it if you joined me there :)
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    @ TwistedMexican, thanks for clearing that up! That is a bit strange, I wonder then if there might be issues with the program used to zip it up? I know WinRAR would flub extractions somehow for s4pe (I think?) so it had to be unpacked with either 7-zip or WinZip. Maybe the game is extracting it but something changed in the process to cause it to not fire off. But, script writing isn't really my thing so I hope that someone with more knowledge can drop in with some advice.

• mgomezmgomez Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2014
    Done. Fixed the issue, and will post what I did for everyone's future reference:

- I unloaded all mods.
    - Started the game without mods.
    - Stopped the game.
    - Loaded only my mod.
    - Started the game.
    - Works.
    - Loaded whatever other mods I thought didn't break the game, restarted the game again, and it works again.

ETA: @TwistedMexican. You have to tell me how you got that couch in such a hilarious position.
  • TheHologramTheHologram Posts: 4 New Member
    edited September 2014
    While this is a few days old and the user figured it out, I would like to mention that source code mods are allowed and work fine when setup correctly. Basically need Mods\mod\scripts\mod\__init__.py or Mods\mod\scripts\mod.py for it do do anything. I have an example posted on my github account at (github.com/figment/sims4exmod)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top