Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How about adding a height slider, but locking it with a cheat?

How about adding an extra slider for height that can't be used unless a cheat code like "UlockHeightSlider on" or something is entered. Since it's hidden with a cheat, the user will understand and agree that it's not meant to be part of the main game, and they will accept that it will look bad when animated. And it won't affect reviews or anything since it's hidden.

Comments

• Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited March 2014
    It would be about the same amount of job no matter how the player get to use the feature..so it doesnt make diference.

But if you mean to distort the character like in TS2 cheat then...whatever, but use it at own risk..since the animations dont work porpelly just like in TS3 Mod.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    mimizinha98mimizinha98 Posts: 48 Member
    edited March 2014
    Well, I wouldn't mind if they just gave us stretchskeleton back. I personally think it'd be better than sliders, since you can change or reset whenever you want, and it's more precise.
    signature_3.png
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited March 2014
    Mistermooman,

What would be the point? Its not a good idea for them to include height sliders, period, unless they can fix it so the animations look right between two different sims who are the same age, but are also widely different heights. They also shouldn't set it up so we have to have to use cheat codes to access the height slider, if they are going to include it. But again, if they do, they have to make all the animations work correctly when a short and a tall sim interect. Otherwise I'm going to end up downloading sims that are shorter or taller than normal, and it won't look right when interact. I often have trouble telling the difference between adult and teen sims as it is.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited March 2014
    i agree that I wouldn't see the point for that. They have other things they need to focus their resources on other than creating a cheat code that is hidden, and serves no purpose other than making a sim incompatible with all the objects it uses.
  • Options
    MistermoomanMistermooman Posts: 265 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Well, the way I see it, is that I don't care how ugly the animations look, I just want height in my game. They'll still be able to add it in the game without having to fix the animations if they just put it behind a cheat code.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mistermooman,

Sorry, Too bad, because unlike you, most people would care. I also don't want to accidentally download sims that are shorter or taller than normal, unless the animations work right, so I'd really hope they wouldn't do what you suggested.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited March 2014
    My idea was to put 3 pre-set heights in the game..
    So you just can select one of the tree heights for your adult/young adult. This way EA only has to make 3 animations for every object because there are 3 heights..

This would be a nice compromise.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Rudy8292,

That would be the most practical way to do it, but the number of animations would still add up really fast. They would still have to practically triple the number of animations in the game for each of the three different heights to animate correctly. Even that might not be practical enough at the moment. Maybe with some better technology, EA could make the Sims animations auto correct themselves for the different heights, but as far as I know that technology doesn't exist yet, and they might have trouble creating it.
  • Options
    cybersteel8cybersteel8 Posts: 6
    edited March 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Rudy8292,

That would be the most practical way to do it, but the number of animations would still add up really fast. They would still have to practically triple the number of animations in the game for each of the three different heights to animate correctly. Even that might not be practical enough at the moment. Maybe with some better technology, EA could make the Sims animations auto correct themselves for the different heights, but as far as I know that technology doesn't exist yet, and they might have trouble creating it.

While it will triple the amount of animations, it won't triple the amount of work. In the same way the weight of a character changes, the height can too, and the animations will have minimal modifications. Does a short person scratch their *** any differently to a tall person? No, provided the proportions of the limbs are the same. It's just a scale. It really couldn't be that hard to do, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited March 2014
    Differing height won't necessarily mean any additional animations at. In fact, it could result in less individual animations.

FIFA is a good example - before kick-off and after the end of the match, you can see players shaking hands with the referee/linesmen. The thing is, these players are often of different heights - but they are not individually animated - they universally use a single animation.

The Sims 3 is just a completely different system of animation. There's no physics, etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What does FIFA characters do between each other instead of just kicking the ball ?
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited March 2014
    plopppo wrote:
    Differing height won't necessarily mean any additional animations at. In fact, it could result in less individual animations.

FIFA is a good example - before kick-off and after the end of the match, you can see players shaking hands with the referee/linesmen. The thing is, these players are often of different heights - but they are not individually animated - they universally use a single animation.

The Sims 3 is just a completely different system of animation. There's no physics, etc.
    That's a premade video, animated completely seperately not an interaction. To actually make Sims interact with each other they would have to redo the animations.

Preset heights would more than triple the amount of animations; animations with objects would be tripled, but they'd have to create 6 versions of every animation between Sims, one for each height combination. Then, with TS4 group mechanics, there would be even more extra animations; if Sims look in a group actually look at the Sim who is talking, rather than just animatong Sims heads rotating, they'd have to animate them rotating and lifting or bowing, and, again, they'd have to do it for each height combo.

All that, and presets are still the easiest way... I don't even want to think about the work that would go into a slider.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well, shake hands - as already mentioned.

Some games other than a sports game - ie RPGs, allow you to specify the height of your character. These characters can do many things - sit down, pick something up, eat something - carry out an action that others can ie play a musical instrument, etc.

I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily mean more individual animations based on height.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sit down,pick,eat, and RPG characters, those do not have interactions between two characters in a direct way, so it doesnt count.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    1van_der_vaart231van_der_vaart23 Posts: 161 Member
    edited March 2014
    v12creator wrote:
    What does FIFA characters do between each other instead of just kicking the ball ?

Before a match starts, they walk to the field and undergo formalities for an example they sing their anthems then they shake hands or do some workouts; and after the game, they celebrate or talk and greet the referees - basically like in real life. :-)

How can they animate the interactions between players, if their height is different? If 160cm and 185cm players shake their hands or have a conversation, the animation still looks correct. I always wondered this.
    RAFAEL VAN DER VAART - FOOTBALLER WITH THE BEST TECHNIQUE IN THE WORLD.
    skill.gif RAFA YOU'RE THE BEST!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    v12creator wrote:

Before a match starts, they walk to the field and undergo formalities for an example they sing their anthems then they shake hands or do some workouts; and after the game, they celebrate or talk and greet the referees - basically like in real life. :-)

How can they animate the interactions between players, if their height is different? If 160cm and 185cm players shake their hands or have a conversation, the animation still looks correct. I always wondered this.
    Like I explained on the page before - that's a premade video, animated separately and packaged with the game. The same way that a movie like Toy Story, for example, is animated.

It's completely different from animating interactions between Sims; though the animations themselves are premade, it's not a video clip that's compiled during development, it's a set of animations, and the game "calls up", so to speak, the correct animations to display when they're needed. A single movement can be made up of several individual animations, that are strung together on the spot to make one natural movement.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It's probably a long way off in terms of The Sims. It's just technically possible to do.

You know the 3d position of a person's hand - you know the position in 3d space of another person's hand - you move them together - the joints pull the forearm and upper arm accordingly (based on constraints of the joints). Theoretically, you can do it purely in code - in the same way you could turn a Sim's head in code - outside of animation.

In fact, I think Sims can look at things outside of animation (ie a toddler on the floor) - in the same way that Alyx could look at you in Half-Life - or in other games whereby your character can move and NPC's heads can follow you - this is not animation, this is real-time.

Your character can crouch down or climb and they will keep their heads pointing at you. Most people have probably seen that in a computer game; however, in the same way, instead of looking at you, you could make the NPC point at you (arm outstretched) and continue to point at you as you move - again, it is not animation as such.

Half-life 3 on the other hand has major problems with doing this with the motion capture route that they went down. Such a simple method in Half life 2 effectively broken by motion capture - broken by an advancement in 3D animation.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I never played Half-life. Arent the characters in that game all pre-mades?
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    DazzaUKNGDazzaUKNG Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2014
    Half Life characters are pre-created.

What Plopppo is saying is that if an alternate method of generating animations was used (like skeletal or procedural animation) it could be possible to have differing heights.

Obviously you'd need people skilled in these techniques and outside of big workstations / render farms it may not look good enough for gaming yet. So EA use hand tuned animations with some automation to keep things simple and looking good on many different specs of PC. This approach does mean that you have limitations, like heights, but can have more complex interactions with objects.

So it's possible, but maybe not practical at the moment.

• Options
    MistermoomanMistermooman Posts: 265 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Mistermooman,

Sorry, Too bad, because unlike you, most people would care. I also don't want to accidentally download sims that are shorter or taller than normal, unless the animations work right, so I'd really hope they wouldn't do what you suggested.

Well, I guess you're right on the downloading part. I hope they at least can do a stretch skeleton kinda thing, maybe keep it in the save file so it doesn't affect uploaded Sims.
  • Options
    ninipninip Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2014
    I don't see why they couldn't just have height types if there's programming issues. Like, they could have short, average, tall. Then they would only need to do programming for those 3 heights.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited March 2014
    I would like to point out that EA has said that there will be NO HEIGHT SLIDERS because they do not have the recources for them . They are not able to make them , so they will not be in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ninip wrote:
    I don't see why they couldn't just have height types if there's programming issues. Like, they could have short, average, tall. Then they would only need to do programming for those 3 heights.
    That was explained before; that would be the more practical method, but it would still be a lot of work. It wouldn't just triple the animators' workload; interactions between Sims and objects would only have to be done 3 times, but animations between Sims would have to be done 6 times, for each combo, and animations for the new group mechanics would become much more complicated.

Preset heights could be done, but they would have to sacrifice a lot of resources to do them properly, which means other areas of the game would be less developed or in-depth, and would be lacking. If it's a choice between having Sims of different heights or fully developed gameplay, the latter option wins for me, hands down.
  • Options
    CaecusLacrimaCaecusLacrima Posts: 803 Member
    edited March 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    ninip wrote:
    That was explained before; that would be the more practical method, but it would still be a lot of work. It wouldn't just triple the animators' workload; interactions between Sims and objects would only have to be done 3 times, but animations between Sims would have to be done 6 times, for each combo, and animations for the new group mechanics would become much more complicated.

Preset heights could be done, but they would have to sacrifice a lot of resources to do them properly, which means other areas of the game would be less developed or in-depth, and would be lacking. If it's a choice between having Sims of different heights or fully developed gameplay, the latter option wins for me, hands down.

Rather than the devs simply saying that height won't be included this time around, I wish they would explain it as you have. If they explained to the players WHY it can't be included, perhaps people would finally understand.

I'm happy for them to bypass different heights if it means they get to focus on other aspects of gameplay.