Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Digital Download Question?

Hello!

I downloaded 2 EPs from Origin, well I was wondering how long do they usually take to download..?

I purchased one last year it did not take long at all, I've had to restart the DL process with this one.

Any tips on how to make it go faster.. I'm just on the first one!

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited December 2013
    art! i just saw this :( i think you are already finished but the DL speed is based mostly on your internet speed - so the only tip i have is to Dl one at a time - thats actually faster
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited December 2013
    It is your internet connection and EA server, as well as every hop in that connection and, that can be as many a 30 hops.

Time of day does make a difference. Late nigh both server (US Pacific) and you local time is best if possible. So does not multi tasking online activities while downloading. Don't load webpages or download more than one thing at a time. Play an offline game that is light on resources (solitaire for example)or go do something off the computer all together.

Beyond that, getting a faster internet connection is the only help. Your ISP might have a faster, more expensive package you can get but, even on a t-1 connection, it can take up to six hours to download a game from Origin.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited December 2013
    a T1 channel is not that fast anymore (1.544 mbs). In telecommunications a T1 carrier can handle 25 channels (1 channel is a maintenance channel) so you get 24 channels or 24 telephone lines on 2 conditioned twisted pairs. T1 is legacy but still used because of ease of interfacing with mostly telcom equipment. My Comcast business class exceeds 6 mbs (this is just a straight pipe - no channels) at a much cheaper cost. T1 is legacy and as transmission media switches to fiber optics transmission (SONET) speeds can increase as the protocols are developed. The type of channel you need depends on how you are going to use the channel. With telcom equipment becoming digital (voice over ip) I feel T1 will eventually disappear in favor of channel/switches (modem with a switch). Today AT&T is delivering Uverse by fiber optic to dslams (environmental access points around your neighborhoods) and twisted pair to your house. This is due to length limitations.

The only draw back I have with Comcast (I hate cable companies but Comcast is the only game in town) business class is when all the children get home from school and start updating their Face Book page I see a degrade in my transmission rate. I expect this is because the pipe that feeds my area gets overloaded.

So for you people who are downloading a TS3 expansion pack with your 4g phone, I recommend having a couple of movies to watch during the download.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited December 2013
    I know, but, hey in a small Podunk town that still has aluminum phone lines to residential and, fiber only to the central business district (withing a couple of miles of the phone office), T1 at the shop in town is the best we get.

At home I have Satellite and that's even worse but, it's that or 24kbps dial up.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.