Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why won't my Sim die of old age?

My sim, Aston, is 109 days old (normal lifespan), which is 19 days over the 90 day lifespan. His 3 siblings have been dead for at about 1-2 Sim weeks, so I'm getting a bit impatient. How do I keep him busy before he dies of old age? I've tried sending him to parties and gardening, but they haven't worked so far

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2013
    If you're really impatient just buy him a birthday cake.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2013
    With normal life setting I have had some sims live to be 109 and 124 days. A couple of things that can make a sim live longer could be either they are a vegetarian, or did they exercise a lot when they were younger. Both those things will expand a sim's life span wen they are in the elder stage.

I had this one sim, who I kept waiting to die, and kind of put his life on hold. Finally when I thought the guy was going to live forever, I decided to let him have some fun. He was retired, still married to his sweetheart, and even had some grandchildren. Then one day while his wife and him were out on a date (she was elderly as well, but was younger than him), I got a message where he said, he enjoyed himself, but he was getting tired and wanted to go home. He walked out the door and died right on the spot.
  • Options
    AmairaAmaira Posts: 293 Member
    edited June 2013
    There is some bonus you get when your sims have jogged a certain length where they have freakishly long lifespans. It could also be a bug. If you want them to die you could do testingcheatsenabled true then select the sim and choose trigger age transition.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited June 2013
    I had one elder-sim in my game that seemed to live forever. Matthew Hamming from Bridgeport, actually. His wife was still in the beginning of her adult stage and their daughter was a teen. I just got so bored with him and wanted to get rid of him before their daughter got old enough to go to university. So eventually, one morning, I just used the cheat to trigger age transition and killed him.

Kind of strange that much later his wife, who'd also maxed athletic skill, died pretty much, when she was supposed to according to her lifespan.

I guess you never know, how long their going to live.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    TerseRat5204TerseRat5204 Posts: 3,701 Member
    edited June 2013
    Burn him alive, Problem solved

Banner%2BFor%2BSims.jpg

• Options
    ElmawaElmawa Posts: 2,281 Member
    edited June 2013
    I had this happen before too. I hate it! lol My main sim is immortal, always stuck in YA stage an never going to die, but I allow him to marry, raise kids, etc...his wives and children grow old and die. Usually by the time his wife is in late adulthood I've tired of her, I've set elder stage to last only two days so they hurry up and...well, die. I don't like my sim guy dating on the side of his marriages, so I make him wait for his current wife to die, break up with her ghost and mourn a couple days before he looks for a new girl. Well, one time his elderly wife just WOULD NOT DIE!!!! she was 14 days over due, and since I never really work on the skills of anyone other than my main sim it couldn't have been related to that. I don't know if she had a trait that would cause it or not, but eventually I just had to cheat and make her die. My poor guy (or maybe me actually) was getting antsy for him to get a new wife his own age! lol
  • Options
    melissam311554melissam311554 Posts: 824 Member
    edited June 2013
    Each day past the maximum lifetime there's a percentage chance of a sim dying. It's not a guarantee and is intended to make things random, but it can get annoying if a sim just won't die.

For a normal lifespan, the chance of a sim dying each day is 14%. The Marathon Runner challenge when complete multiplies those odds by 0.75%, making it a 10.5% chance each day. The odds for a short lifespan are 30% / 22.5%, medium 20% / 15%, long 6% / 4.5%, and epic 3% / 2.25%.
  • Options
    GNRxSas7837GNRxSas7837 Posts: 812 Member
    edited June 2013
    For a normal lifespan, the chance of a sim dying each day is 14%. The Marathon Runner challenge when complete multiplies those odds by 0.75%, making it a 10.5% chance each day. The odds for a short lifespan are 30% / 22.5%, medium 20% / 15%, long 6% / 4.5%, and epic 3% / 2.25%.

I never knew that thank you :)