Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons should NOT be in TS4 Base Game

LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
I am seeing so many posts saying Seasons should be included in the base game, as well as Pets, Uni, etc.

Can you imagine the backlash? Half of the features would be missing. We would probably literally get only weather and seasons and no other features. Seasons is a major addition that SHOULD be an EP.

The same goes with Pets. If it was included in Base Game, don't expect horses or any other minor animals or features.

In an ideal world, of course everything would be included in Base Game. But it seems very irrational to ask for these to be included. Seasons and Pets are the most requested EPs and EA would be silly not to take advantage of that. Remember EA said we didn't get a world with Seasons because they had enabled weather for all worlds. If EA included these major features with Base Game, there would probably be nothing else included in base game.

I think EA should just work hard on perfecting the Sims and their AI, and addressing the issue that TS3 Sims aren't as "alive" as TS2 Sims. Once they have a solid base game they can add great, fulfilling EPs.

Not trolling or inciting drama, just wanted to make some people see things rationally and sop them from raising their expectations too high. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Comments

• Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2013
    No one else understands this! I agree!
  • Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    And what is the point of new base game then?

It is basically only a remake of TS3 base game and starting from zero again.

For me TS4 would have sense only if all content from TS3 plus all expansions is in the base game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    GREENEYA wrote:

For me TS4 would have sense only if all content from TS3 plus all expansions is in the base game.

No. What about TS3? The only features compared to TS2 base game were inventory, graphics, and open neighbothood, but it had less. I want TS4 to have better graphics, more for toddlers-children, Wants/Fears, and one entirely new killer features. It will not have weather in basegame, pets, or anything like that.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited January 2013
    All I'd expect from Seasons in a basegame is seasons and weather. They could fine tune it throughout the game's lifespan in EPs and patches.

That's the wonderful thing about these features potentially being base-game features. Because then the Expansion Packs that come out later can expand upon them, making them better and also allowing for features to interplay with them (like now pets would actually be effected by the weather).

Whether or not I believe that Seasons will be in the base game (I really don't, sadly) I say it's a base-game level feature. It's something that SHOULD be there, and that's why it's frustrating to have to wait 4 years for it to be re-released. It's such a fundamental aspect of the world.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    Leedie12Leedie12 Posts: 53 Member
    edited January 2013
    Although I must say I do love the EP's, and definitely want those mentioned in a new sims game, I don't think I want them immediately. If only for the price, if they add all at once, we'll probably end up with a game of $200 or something like that. Yet I do like it that they did add some features of the TS2 EP's directly into TS3. (for instance the gardening). But I don't really know how EA would make an even better game, for TS3 graphics are already pretty demanding for better computers.

That was probably just some blabla of me, anyways: I do agree, no EP's in TS4 base game.
    I think many parts of the game are essential, although I would say pets and seasons are more essential than the ambitions (ghost hunter!?!) and supernatural (who thought I wanted zombies attacking my gardens?!?) So maybe we should just push harder on the order in which the EPs are coming.
  • Options
    PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I get what your saying letter but my suggestion is this.

This is my suggestion. While your pushing out all the EP's and SP's for three really do a good job on four.

Then have a tutorial that comes with base game. It has a basic walkthrough that you can do so you learn how this version functions. It also includes a snippet of a starter of each EP to come out. What I mean is this.

For Season's have just rain built into the base game and you learn all about dealing with the elements.

For Pets you have a catterpillar as a starter pet which you can raise to be a butterfly.

For Buisness have your Sim learn about having a job.

For Hobbies have a starting hobby in base to learn about such as the pottery.

For Family Fun pack learn about how to get married and care for a baby with base game items such as the arch and baby change table included inside base game.

For Vacations have a small vacation world that you can visit that is just off the main world by boat.

Taking one thing out of each EP to come out and put it in base game as a tutorial then when you are done learning the ropes you then recieve a starter kit that you download with the full version of the game. Then EA builds upon those ideas as each EP comes out.

• Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    Icy_Lava wrote:
    GREENEYA wrote:

No. What about TS3? The only features compared to TS2 base game were inventory, graphics, and open neighbothood, but it had less. I want TS4 to have better graphics, more for toddlers-children, Wants/Fears, and one entirely new killer features. It will not have weather in basegame, pets, or anything like that.

And that is the reason I do not see the point of the new base game. It is only a remake with minior tweaks.

That also means that it will lose many features which TS3 has.
    And I really hated wants and fears, moodlets are much better.

Seriously all that can be achieved updating TS3.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well either way, all we an hope TS4 to be is TS3 with a face lift. C'est la vie!
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited January 2013
    I agree, you're absolutely right.

Something we could have though is a simple weather system in the basegame? How about just sunny, cloudy and rain?
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    GREENEYA wrote:

And that is the reason I do not see the point of the new base game. It is only a remake with minior tweaks.

I think it's silly to demand that a base game have all the elements of its predecessor all at once, because, frankly, it's probably going to be based on an entirely new game engine. On the other hand, a base game *is* necessary. TS3's game engine is already set in stone; all they can do is add to what's already there. That's why people are so upset that University Life is based on World Adventures and disappointed that it's not exactly like the TS2 version. They don't understand that it's simply not possible for EA to change the game to mirror Sims 2 features exactly without doing a complete rewrite of the base game. Not gonna happen.

IF there is a Sims 4, I hope that EA has the good sense to take some ideas from the fans and realize that it needs to make *all* age groups work together and that each age group needs to be able to interact in meaningful ways with other age groups, especially babies, toddlers, children, teens, and elders. Sorry, EA, but it's *not* all about Young Adults.

The devil's in the details, and we need more detailed and realistic interactions between *all* the age groups, as well as having things that are age-specific. I won't take the time to explain any further than that, because then this would turn into a novel. Suffice it to say, we won't be getting everything all at once, but hopefully, we *will* be getting a more well-rounded game...although I do think they should have some weather and at least a cat and a dog. (But no part of it should be online!)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    GREENEYA wrote:

I think it's silly to demand that a base game have all the elements of its predecessor all at once, because, frankly, it's probably going to be based on an entirely new game engine. On the other hand, a base game *is* necessary. TS3's game engine is already set in stone; all they can do is add to what's already there. That's why people are so upset that University Life is based on World Adventures and disappointed that it's not exactly like the TS2 version. They don't understand that it's simply not possible for EA to change the game to mirror Sims 2 features exactly without doing a complete rewrite of the base game. Not gonna happen.

IF there is a Sims 4, I hope that EA has the good sense to take some ideas from the fans and realize that it needs to make *all* age groups work together and that each age group needs to be able to interact in meaningful ways with other age groups, especially babies, toddlers, children, teens, and elders. Sorry, EA, but it's *not* all about Young Adults.

The devil's in the details, and we need more detailed and realistic interactions between *all* the age groups, as well as having things that are age-specific. I won't take the time to explain any further than that, because then this would turn into a novel. Suffice it to say, we won't be getting everything all at once, but hopefully, we *will* be getting a more well-rounded game...although I do think they should have some weather and at least a cat and a dog. (But no part of it should be online!)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:evil: sadly I have to agree with you. It's unrealistic for them to do it but they can put a starting element from each EP then build up from it. See my above posts. Like having the College Experience be a tie in with school. When your YA is college bound they dissappear for a little while to a specific town and you continue with your family. Then when it comes out then you can experience everything. Having a small pet as a starter pet like how we have had pet fish since base game. Having maybe rain at least in base and then building up on that part of cold for Seasons EP
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    No Seasons, Pets in basegame. Though, I think we should have apartments in base.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited January 2013
    Believe it or not, but Seasons and Pets not being complete is the whole idea behind them being in base game.

The idea extends further that both would be expanded on by each EP released, as well as the potential for store content to expand both further. While we start off with a simpler system, the basis of the idea is to end up with one massively more complex.
  • Options
    thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    edited January 2013
    Hmm.. Part of me says "Yes, weather and seasons should be in The Sims 4 BG." and another part of me says "Flat out no."

Mind you, Seasons EP's are cash cows for EA in The Sims Series. People have made hundreds and hundreds of Seasons threads since June of 2009. And they all ask for weather patterns and seasons (of course, they come up with ideas to do in the weather, but it's mostly based on weather.)

I'm not trying to defend EA, but I am trying to understand their plans. If I owned The Sims Studio, I would make sure that my costumers payed for an EP with Seasons and everything related to it since I'm sure many people payed for The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 versions of Seasons.

EA is a company. Companies are there to make money. I would completely understand if seasons weren't featured in the base game, although I would be very ecstatic if they were! :)

And with Pets in the base game? No. Even if EA does find a way to include pets in the base game without raising the expected specs of the base game, they still wouldn't do it. Pets is a slightly, if not even bigger cash cow to EA than a Seasons pack is.

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2013
    I don't think the idea of sending our Sims away to college and not being able to interact is going to fly, either. I think it would be nice if that was included in the base game as a either a subhood or a separate world, but keeping the flexible system that's been set up in the current version. That *might* be do-able depending on whether or not they keep the open neighborhood concept.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hmm.. Part of me says "Yes, weather and seasons should be in The Sims 4 BG." and another part of me says "Flat out no."

Mind you, Seasons EP's are cash cows for EA in The Sims Series. People have made hundreds and hundreds of Seasons threads since June of 2009. And they all ask for weather patterns and seasons (of course, they come up with ideas to do in the weather, but it's mostly based on weather.)

I'm not trying to defend EA, but I am trying to understand their plans. If I owned The Sims Studio, I would make sure that my costumers payed for an EP with Seasons and everything related to it since I'm sure many people payed for The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 versions of Seasons.

EA is a company. Companies are there to make money. I would completely understand if seasons weren't featured in the base game, although I would be very ecstatic if they were! :)

And with Pets in the base game? No. Even if EA does find a way to include pets in the base game without raising the expected specs of the base game, they still wouldn't do it. Pets is a slightly, if not even bigger cash cow to EA than a Seasons pack is.

Thus, why it is I suggested they might include them in base game, and then expand them with each EP. It would be using both cash cows to sell every EP they make.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cash-cow_larg.jpg
  • Options
    LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Believe it or not, but Seasons and Pets not being complete is the whole idea behind them being in base game.

The idea extends further that both would be expanded on by each EP released, as well as the potential for store content to expand both further. While we start off with a simpler system, the basis of the idea is to end up with one massively more complex.
    Erm, Seasons and Pets are VERY complete in TS3.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Thus, why it is I suggested they might include them in base game, and then expand them with each EP. It would be using both cash cows to sell every EP they make.
    They could do that, but what if the seasons or pets in the base game completely break the game and no one wants any EP's that add on to them?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Erm, Seasons and Pets are VERY complete in TS3.

Tell that to the people who want expansions for both.

They could do that, but what if the seasons or pets in the base game completely break the game and no one wants any EP's that add on to them?

They risk the same thing releasing them as EPs at current, due to the way they handle adding EPs to the base game (in fact, Seasons actually did break part of the base game). So, the risk remains unchanged.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Who knows what will happen. It's like the box that has a hole inside of it that says put your hand in there. There is nothing in there but your so worked up about what your afraid is there that you imagine the biggest fear you have.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

They risk the same thing releasing them as EPs at current, due to the way they handle adding EPs to the base game (in fact, Seasons actually did break part of the base game). So, the risk remains unchanged.[/quote]
    You're right, they did break the game for some. Especially with having Pets installed using more RAM. Since they are currently expansion pack-only, all we have to do is uninstall them to better stabilize our games (most of the time.) We can't remove any base game features unless there is a mod created, and there are none that I know of. ;)
  • Options
    kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited January 2013
    I think that seasons should be in the base game, but only at a very basic level. There would be temperature differences and the color of the ground would change depending on the season (i.e. in winter it would be white, in fall it would be brown, spring/summer would be green). Gardens would go dormant during winter. The EP relating to seasons would include season specific activities and holidays. So we would get animations and weather (snow, fog, rain).

Pets, maybe only cats and dogs in the base game (and the option to disallow strays in the neighborhood that actually works) and the EP would add other animals (maybe do the farm life expansion people have been asking for).

Definitely add more interactions between the age groups in the base game. Make sure that each age group gets at least one new outfit per expansion as well as new interactions.

• Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited January 2013
    GREENEYA wrote:
    Icy_Lava wrote:
    GREENEYA wrote:

if we dont get a base game we get no sims 4 at all how are we supossed to play expansion packs when a base game is required for obvious reasons
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited January 2013
    I too think starting with SSNS/Pets is maybe a bad idea for TS4 base game. It's just too big. I think Gen + Uni should be the TS4 base game merges instead. Kids and Elders got TOTAL disrespect from EA in TS3 and that shouldn't be the case in TS4.