Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do I have enough space?

Hi guys,

I'm seeing lots of people say they are buying new computers for the upcoming EPs. I had to reinstall my EPs today and I saw this:

Space.png

By the looks of that, there's enough. But I'm not sure if it's something else I should check, like RAM or processors?

Comments

• paul94597paul94597 Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2013
    It's only checking hard drive space there, of which you have more than plenty.

Sims 3 + all EPs and SPs is about 27 GB, or roughly 3% of your total hard drive.

Checking your RAM/CPU varies by OS. If you're on Windows 7:

- Click Start
    - Right Click "Computer"
    - Left Click "Properties"

It should show your Processor and Installed RAM, as well as your Windows Experience Index (which is a 1-8 rating of all components).

It's been awhile since I've been on Windows XP, but I believe its similar:

- Click Start
    - Right Click "My Computer"
    - Left Click "Properties" or "System Info" (IIRC)

If you're on Windows 8, you're on your own. :lol:
  • LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited January 2013
    @Paul: Thank you. :) 4.00 GB RAM and 5.0 rating for Windows.

Do you think that will be Ok for adding more EPs on?
    edited January 2013
    @Paul: Thank you. :) 4.00 GB RAM and 5.0 rating for Windows.

Do you think that will be Ok for adding more EPs on?

5 experience is on the lowish side, but there are lots of variables (one piece can bring your whole score down).

What is your Processor?
    And, if you click on your Windows Experience Index, it'll show you the scores for each component. If you want to post those I'd be glad to try and decipher.
    edited January 2013
    I'll add that if Seasons (and especially Pets) runs okay, I don't see how any of the new expansions could cause much trouble. It seems like the developers have sort of figured out some of the limitations of the base game engine, and that's likely why University will be a new sub-hood instead of a regular town.

I'd bet Island Paradise and Future EP are in the same category.
    edited January 2013
    Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

score2_zps741d2678.png
    Bigger: http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u631/marksims2013/score2_zps741d2678.png

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.80 GHz

I can run all of the current games on Max settings with no lag, but I'm just not sure if adding three more EPs will give a performance hit. I can't stand to play laggy games.
    edited January 2013
    You're actually in pretty good shape. The Windows Aero setting is what's dragging your performance score down. Maybe you could consider upgrading your video card, but if you're playing at max settings right now with zero lag, I don't think any of the future EPs should really change that. And if it does, upgrading the video card is painless.
    edited January 2013
    paul94597 wrote:
    You're actually in pretty good shape. The Windows Aero setting is what's dragging your performance score down. Maybe you could consider upgrading your video card, but if you're playing at max settings right now with zero lag, I don't think any of the future EPs should really change that. And if it does, upgrading the video card is painless.
    Thank you! You've been a lot of help. :D I think I'll stick with it, but if I notice any performance issues at least I know upgrading the video card is pretty easy.
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013

You have huge amount of free space. It is more than enough for all expansion and stuff packs released so far, plus everything that we will get.
    edited January 2013
    GREENEYA wrote:

You have huge amount of free space. It is more than enough for all expansion and stuff packs released so far, plus everything that we will get.
    Great, then I have enough space for the Future EP I am so excited for. :wink: