Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think mermaids will look like?

LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
I can't wait to see them! Have we had them in any previous The Sims or The Sims 2 games?

Comments

• danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited January 2013
    On land they'll have scales (or patches of sparkling skins), in the water they'll sing, they can mesmerize sims with songs... I think they'll have an option in the water to swim with their mermaid tail that SHOULD be like a fairies wings (different styles and colors). It makes no sense to have mermaids walking around with crinkly fins on lands.
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited January 2013
    I can't wait to see them! Have we had them in any previous The Sims or The Sims 2 games?

No, they would be brand new to the series.

I don't know what they will look like, but I think something like this would be beautiful:

8365627204_ee54c1bf77_c.jpg
    34336_s.gif
  • Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2013
    We have never had them before other than clothing. I assume they would be like sirens. They would look like regular sims with a permanent tail and have magical abilities.
  • LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited January 2013
    It's very cool that they're new to the series.

@Allspice: That's very pretty, I hope they look something like that. I hope we have some sinister ones as well, I loved the stories of evil mermaids who lured in sailors by looking beautiful until they showed their true evil face.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited January 2013
    For one they will be gorgeous and I'm hoping there is some kind of way our sims can become mersims either by a potion,a cheat or a lifetime reward. When I think mermaids I think of Bo Derrick the blonde female that played a mermaid.
  • Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited January 2013
    What will mermaids look like?

They will have fangs, no hair, enormous wings (one black, other white), three eyes, four hands and a second tail if they are a male mermaid, horns if they are female, they will have another pair of hands to help them swim better and much much more.

*sarcasm ends here*

I mean.. how else can mermaids look? It's not like there are tons of different versions :lol:
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited January 2013
    I like the discussion on 3DJ4's thread about customisation options:

1. A choice of tails (like how we can choose a fairy's wings) so you can have beiewelled and spectacular, plain old Ariel, or webbed creature from the deep.

2. Fin and gill sliders, so you can go from human looking mermaids to... umm... creature from the deep! All fishy and weird looking! :mrgreen:

3. They should be able to swirch between mermaid and sim form, a bit like how a wearwolf has two customisable states. :D
  • albertwhiskeralbertwhisker Posts: 596 New Member
    edited January 2013
    females will have tails:
    tumblr_lv19aoJBNm1qixi21o1_500.gif

and males will have legs but have the fish like appearance:

RikuoGrabs.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited January 2013
    females will have tails:
    article-2141792-13000ABB000005DC-670_470x684.jpg

and males will have legs but have the fish like appearance:

RikuoGrabs.jpg

I'd be wary about dividing the sexes today! :roll: :lol:
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited January 2013
    ^ IKR!? :lol:
    Sexual dimorphism is common in fish, however, so he might have a point, though I doubt it.

I said in the Sea Exploration thread that I think EA should allow Hybrid-mersims to look more Abe Simian from Hellboy than Ariel te Little Mermaid.

They'd be upright 2-legged sms like normal sims, but will have the webbed hands a feet, gills on the neck, fish-like slits for nostrils (new nose slider I bet), the possibility of sharklike teeth, and maybe dorsal fins and headcrests, too.

Mersims should be natural Virtuosos and Anglers. Mean-spirited and evil mersims should have a predatorial streak, I agree, and often share the same Heartbreaker LW--sirens of the deep who lure their targets into hopeless relationships and utter despair.
  • LetterM2013LetterM2013 Posts: 1,577 New Member
    edited January 2013
    @albertwhisker: That picture is a bit risque for the forums. People have been warned for Sims showing less cleavage than that, never mind real women.
  • danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I think both male and female mersims should have tails in water (or on full moons during day or night) or whenever they want.

Out of water they'll have glittery skin that mimics their scales. :-D
    edited January 2013
    I don't want mermaids... No I want an evil siren that looks like a mermaid but is evil and destructive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=siren&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=SQTuUJ7XN5LWiALLnoHYDA&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=SwTuUOCpJdHZigLZ0YHwAw#biv=i|18;d|99roocSllK1OcM:
  • SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited January 2013
    What about if they're like the mermaid from Splash? She can come out of the water and even walk around but as soon as she gets wet her legs turn back into fins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMIsXdoj2vU
  • GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited January 2013
    First of all we don't even know if we are getting mermaids in the sims 3. People think that we are getting mermaids in the island paradise ep but really it could be anything. As to how they would look, ummm like all mermaids look i'd imagine. There's really not much variety with them.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • TheFairyBugTheFairyBug Posts: 2,925 New Member
    edited January 2013
    SugarRave wrote:
    What about if they're like the mermaid from Splash? She can come out of the water and even walk around but as soon as she gets wet her legs turn back into fins.

This is exactly what I hope for, and what I think is most likely, too!
  • DangerDangerDangerDanger Posts: 5,327 Member
    edited January 2013
    SugarRave wrote:

This is exactly what I hope for, and what I think is most likely, too!

That was my immediate thought too, otherwise they'll be kind of useless wouldn't they?
    Hi. I'm Danger. I like spaceships, Pringles, and cats. I dislike fruits and vegetables, sunlight, and the motion picture Titanic. I do not own a sword, nor do I know how to draw unicorns. As you can see, I don't have much to offer the world.
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited January 2013
    If merpeople are playable I'd say like splash for sure and the EP better come with a hair dryer And they go mer in the bath too ;)
    edited January 2013
    I think the difference of opinion with people wanting pretty splash-like mermaids and people wanting a more horror-movie creature style is why we need sliders! :mrgreen:
  • HannoieHannoie Posts: 752 Member
    edited January 2013
    SugarRave wrote:

Pretty much this; but I really think it should have to be more than just a little water, they should be forced to sink down their entire in body to transform back. Otherwise they could get stuck in the middle of the town, trapped in an unexpected summer rain, and that would really make me mad. A thousand miles from any water, unable to do anything... No, it should certainly not be so easy to transform back to a mermaid. About the sirens... You know there is an evil trait, right? Problem solved.
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    I think the difference of opinion with people wanting pretty splash-like mermaids and people wanting a more horror-movie creature style is why we need sliders! :mrgreen:

I agree. :D
  • Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited January 2013
    SugarRave wrote:

Well, this is kind of the problem I see with mermaids. If it doesn't have a tail or even powers 90% of the time, then it loses its point. A mermaid with no tail isn't a mermaid. It's just a human sim that can do cool tricks underwater.

Not saying that mermaids would be bad creature though. I think it would actually be pretty cool to get new life state :) I'm just not sure how EA would make them work with how the game engine is.
    edited January 2013
    The mermaid should bave powers 100% of the time, except if its power wanes.
  • kitty4118812kitty4118812 Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2013
    Hannoie wrote:
    SugarRave wrote:

Pretty much this; but I really think it should have to be more than just a little water, they should be forced to sink down their entire in body to transform back. Otherwise they could get stuck in the middle of the town, trapped in an unexpected summer rain, and that would really make me mad. A thousand miles from any water, unable to do anything... No, it should certainly not be so easy to transform back to a mermaid. About the sirens... You know there is an evil trait, right? Problem solved.

Well just like with all the other supernatural life states I feel like their should be options to kind of decide either covered in scales(Think werewolves and fur) or pretty and perfect. Either way, I feel like the irresistible trait coming out in University might be a little bit of a "hey it's coming!" for the rest of us.
    Maybe their "power" could be songs. I feel like a lot of people seem to enjoy this over most of the other perposed options at the moment, plus it's the most basic as well as the most accepted amoung mythology as trait a mermaids possess. Their voices are suppose to either bring sims to their death or be signs of good luck. Sirens are actually bird-like woman, and they don't even eat their kill! Wasteful creatures. XD
    Mermaids are much less wasteful if you look up the right old stories. :3

Also, the evil trait sounds wonderful for them, as well as maybe a new trait that offers the ability to either like/dislike "normal" sims? Which would help also help decide if your mersim was interested in befriending normal sims or well making them for dinner.

I also agree that it should be at least half way in the water for them to transform, like pools, lakes, oceans. I mean I also think it'd be a funny quirk if instead of being able to use showers Mersims were only allowed to take baths.
  • GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    Icy_Lava wrote:
    The mermaid should bave powers 100% of the time, except if its power wanes.

I agree. Even on land mermaid should have powers over water or something. :)