Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Marriage line/relationship broken after death

Hey Can anyone help me with this? When ever I have a sim that is married and dies, the relationship line with their spouse disappears. I want to know if there is anything I can do to change this.

Comments

• Options
    nocomment98nocomment98 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Mine does that too, and I hate it! Just because 2 sims are dead doesn't mean that they aren't still considered "married"!

But to answer your question- there is nothing we can do.
  • Options
    sleonfoxsleonfox Posts: 70 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Revive him by doing the "Oh my Ghost!" event which comes awhile after the death of a sim's loved one.
    But only if they were close.
  • Options
    ChadZedChadZed Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Well it is until "death do you part" ;)

It's interesting I have the married couple as playable ghosts now (through the science lab), so mom and dad are now living in the family home again. Sure the daughter in-law is impressed. Anyways the relationship the deceased couple has is engaged. I have yet to be able to have them get married again. Has anyone had any luck getting two ghosts married?
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Yeah. Until death do you part. :)
  • Options
    ZzephyrSZZzephyrSZ Posts: 610 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Technically, you can't be married to a dead person. So, when a spouse dies, the relationship disappears. People can get re-married in real life after they're widowed; they're not married to that one person forever.
  • Options
    Scottish_PrinceScottish_Prince Posts: 17 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Logically, that is true. but it just makes the family tree so sloppy looking.

There was a cheat in the sims 2 where you can do that. Is there one for the sims 3? or a hack?
  • Options
    MarySweetMarySweet Posts: 486 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I had the same thing. =(

It really is disappointing. When the sim-wife died the Family Tree showed his daughter as the only person in his family tree but not his ghost/deceased wife. He's mourning her yet she's not in his Family Tree as his deceased wife.

When a Sim is a widow/er their [deceased/ghost] spouse should show up in their Family Tree until the day they remarry.

Another disappointing thing was when he brought her back to life --the idea was that she would not only be so excited to come back to life/normal but she would be so grateful to her husband for loving her so much as to want her back a second time. So for her to come back as Fiance' and treat him like she has amnesia was so disappointing. I had my Sim kick her out, storm over to house and break up with her. Later I read that if you invite them 'out' then invite them 'over' it gets the relationship back [not get the marriage back just relationship]instead of receiving the 'on second thought something came up'. This worked and they are remarried now.

Edit: I was so confused I loaded a previous saved game just to check that their conversation said wife / husband -it did.
    Edit: [ ]
  • Options
    queenmoon555queenmoon555 Posts: 178 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I wish it didn't disappear.
    True love lasts longer than death. 8)
  • Options
    Agent_66Agent_66 Posts: 113 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I've just had this happen and as everyone has said, it is disappointing.

The founders of my legacy both died within, literally, days of each other. The husband was heartbroken and distraught and in mourning, I felt so bad!

So yesterday, I finally got one of the daughter in laws to go to the science lab and bring them back as ghosts. Unfortunately, despite the fact of being best friends, the ghosts now show as ex husband and ex wife.

I couldn't believe it. And in the husband's list of friends, there's an ex-girlfriend I don't remember setting him up with.

I did read last night that if you use the testing cheats cheat and set the 'make everyone my friend' and move the sliders up, that should set their relationships high, though if I guess correctly, you would need to do this on a bi-daily or weekly basis, which is so very annoying.

I can't understand why family loses their connections if they move out or die. This doesn't happen in real life and I thought EA was going for a more realistic feel in this game.
  • Options
    melcelestial83melcelestial83 Posts: 112 Member
    edited August 2009
    Apparently it is normal, even in previous games. It does not affect other premade family trees who have deceased ancestors though (like the Goth and Bachelor for example). I wonder if there is a hack like SimPE to fix this.

Sims3-WonkyTree.jpg

Death does do you part it seems.
  • Options
    blondesimblondesim Posts: 121 Member
    edited August 2009

Yeah I hate this too! My lady has the goldigger lifetime wish and she has seen her husband as a ghost but it is her ex-husband now so i guess the wish will never be fulfilled, very disappointing :(
  • Options
    AmyMercury1AmyMercury1 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I believe this is sort of a bug, as there is a lifetime wish in which you need to see your spouse's ghost - which is impossible now.

I also find it frustrating. When grandma dies, grandpa should be single for the rest of his life, mourning for his wife and taking care of his (great)(grand)children.

Not remarrying a young adult woman and have three more kids with her.

Happened here.

So I, too, am looking for a hack.
  • Options
    DezmeriaDezmeria Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited August 2010
    I don't believe until death do we part. I left that part out when my husband and I got married.

So what you die and your automatically single again? That doesn't make sense. If your married, your married if your alive or dead. This really peeves me off in the Sims.
  • Options
    Sims3CaillouSims3Caillou Posts: 2 New Member
    edited December 2010

There was a cheat in the sims 2 where you can do that. Is there one for the sims 3? or a hack?

Hey Scottish_Prince,
    Do you know what cheat that was in the sims 2 where you can do that?
  • Options
    Sims3CaillouSims3Caillou Posts: 2 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Hey Can anyone help me with this? When ever I have a sim that is married and dies, the relationship line with their spouse disappears. I want to know if there is anything I can do to change this.

Hey Guys,
    um maybe SimPE has something that might keep them married.
    Or there is Sims wikipedia; which tells you somethings you could do with SimPe, so maybe you could use SimPe to do that hack? :P
  • Options
    Jamesmc93Jamesmc93 Posts: 1,815 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Dezmeria wrote:
    I don't believe until death do we part. I left that part out when my husband and I got married.

That's actually a really good idea >.>
  • Options
    BoXeRbOi56BoXeRbOi56 Posts: 171 Member
    edited December 2010

^^^
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited December 2010
    I have a vampire family where the mom died of thirst. The dad was very distraught and after mourning he kept rolling the wish to be married, to anyone I guess. He met this very nice young lady, became engaged and when the ghost of his dead wife finally showed up, she is listed as fiance also. :shock: Strange!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    valkyries_ridevalkyries_ride Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    So my Sim got married and had a child in China without me knowing, I have no idea how. But the husband is dead now so I'm trying to get her to start a new relationship and get married to someone I want her to but the 'ask to go steady' or 'propose marriage' options never come up. If she's technically not married anymore, does anyone know why I can't get her to marry again?
  • Options
    Crusader2290Crusader2290 Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Ok, first of all I'm very late to the draw on this one :oops:

Secondly, I have found a sort of solution to this problem because it bugs me as well. (I would have said something earlier if I found this thread I also didn't know that other people were bugged by this too.)

Nevertheless, the solution that I have found is to bring both of the deceased that you want to be married back to life with the "Oh My Ghost!" opporutnity.
    Once the ghosts are back alive you must make them remarry, if they are marked as "Fiance" then you must break the pair up before continuing on! Once they are marked as "ex-husband and ex-wife" then you must apologize as one sim and get the relationship to the point where they can be married again.

Once they can be married again then make them get married!

After this is done you must either click on the tombstone in their inventory and return to the netherworld once again or age them until they expire and are forced back.

Now look in your family tree and they should be connected again!

Again, sorry for the late reply if anyone still having this problem reads this. :oops:

P.S. Don't delete the tombstones when you are finished with this it just causes problems.

P.P.S. To those who say this isn't a bug, that really isn't the point >_> The point is that it is a little thing like this that bothers some of us. Regardless, see above for my solution to the problem.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    munchiepoomunchiepoo Posts: 1,386 Member
    edited January 2011
    It's not a bug,it is tottaly realistic, and the goths have theres there as the family tree for them was made by EA,and we havent seen those two characters in the sims 3.
  • Options
    EdhlaEdhla Posts: 1,089 New Member
    edited January 2011
    This drives me nuts. In real life I am a keen genealogist and the unrealistic familiy trees on the Sims frustrate me.

Also, I've found if Guy is married to Wife 1 and they get divorced and he remarries, she doesn't show up on his tree either, even if they had half a dozen kids together. She should. 🐸🐸🐸🐸. :x
  • Options
    ImmortalMortalImmortalMortal Posts: 7 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Sorry to revive the thread again. I have another sort of solution to this problem. I've been stalking this thread since I first encountered the same issue and I've been playing with it, trying to find a way around it. So here's my story:

I have a female sim that has been jumping between 2 men. Anyway, one of the men died while married to my female, and when his ghost came out of his urn to haunt, he ate the ambrosia the female left out for him. He came back (hooray!) but as a fiance status, with no option to get married. I broke them up, moved him out, and went to guy #2 with my female. Later on, I received the Oh My Ghost! opportunity. So I invited Revived Guy back over after divorcing Guy #2. I locked Revived Guy in a room and let him starve to death so I could revive him instead with the Oh My Ghost! opportunity. When I brought him to the science facility, and he came back as a half-living ghost, I made my female flirt, romance, etc. etc., then ask him to go steady. I had the option to get engaged shortly after and I did so, then I had the option for a private wedding. I went ahead and let them marry as sim and ghost, then I gave Revived Guy Ambrosia and he came back fully. Both sims still had husband and wife status. Hope this helps someone in some way! :)
  • Options
    Jnerkin1548Jnerkin1548 Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    I hate this! I wish your Sims could write a Will, and with the Will you could fix this issue and have the marital bond still there after death. My married couple died on the same die, at the same time, because I forced them into age transition as an elderly couple to fix this, and nothing. So silly.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited July 2012
    Maybe EA will fix this when Supernatural comes out.