Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy

Disclaimer: Despite the title, this is not a Legacy Showcase thread. It is rather the title to a story that I probably would not have a lot of time to work on what with me serving conscription in the army (and thus procrashtinating by enjoying other stuff to ease out my stress), not to mention that this is one of the few times I tried writing a Sim Story . There is also a concern on the quality of the writing itself, but that's really a minor concern for me, as I favor the content of the story rather than how it is told/written/presented.

With that, without further ado, please enjoy Legacy.

Prologue
Screenshot.jpg
Alice Lucius stared out to her destination from a hilltop. It was ironic that she would begin her quest here, Sunset Valley, where the origin of sims' greatest achievements were established here. It was even more ironic that her quest would also lead her to the Goth family, who would go on and lay down the groundwork for the success of future sims. Though it makes sense. It was because of their future status that she needed the Goth family to accomplish her goal. Otherwise, she would rather have a lesser challenge.

Screenshot-20-1.jpg
"Mr. Gunther Goth, I presume?"

Screenshot-21.jpg
"Ah, you must be Alice, the new tenant," Gunther Goth replied his latest housemate before tipping forward his hat in a warm gesture.

It had been a while since their last boarder, let alone one as young and alluring as her. Or as well-dressed. Usually, even if anyone would act sensible enough to ignore the blatantly idiotic ghost stories surrounding the Goth manor, they would be equally insensible vandals, street thugs, or just some foolish kids coaxed into a dare by his so-called loyal buddies.

Screenshot-32.jpg
If anything, Gunther considered himself quite the fortunate that day for picking up this shiny penny.

Screenshot-21.jpg
"I assume you're going to stay here for quite some time, miss?" Gunther politely inquired, trying his best to please the young lady.

Screenshot-27.jpg
"Oh, I'd love to, but... Well, I'm kinda a nomad, you see. I just departed Strangetown not one week ago."

Screenshot-31.jpg
"Strangetown?" Gunther uttered at the mention of that city.

Strangetown was a polaric example of Sunset Valley. Whereas his home was filled with bright green pastures and a lovely evening that inspired the town's name, Strangetown was, at that time, under investigation from worldwide officials for its phenomenonally known apocalyptic disaster. Some claimed it was a nuke that distorted the weather; others with less sanity claimed the poisoned river was the work of higher beings. Whatever it was, Strangetown had been hit with one disaster after another some short weeks ago due to unknown causes.

Thus, it was more than the discomfort of the city that shocked Gunther Goth, but the revelation that someone was able to survive through the chaos presented there, let alone make it out with her sanity intact.

Screenshot-30.jpg
"I know, I know, it was a shock to everyone else I ran across on my way here that I'd survived the terrible going-ons of that place and still look as calm and unscathed as I do. But ah well, I was one of the few lucky ones to pick a residential area distantly away from the inital blast. Don't know if my escape was just luck or... pure indifference."

Noticing the smile creeping away from Alice's cheeks, Gunther placed a comforting hand upon her shoulder.

Screenshot-4-2.jpg
"Don't be so hard on yourself," he remarked. "Survival is instinctive, not apathy."

Screenshot-5-1.jpg
Alice slowly looked up at her landlord, grateful for the advice, though not necessarily agreeing with it.

"Thanks, Mr. G. I think I'm going to be have a comfortable stay here."

Screenshot-7-1.jpg
"As will we while having you, I'm sure."

Screenshot-11.jpg
After the meet and greet session that would have been too formal for other teenagers' taste, Alice got herself settled down in a spare bedroom right by the corner of the house. She spent the next half an hour hanging her paintings and putting up the bulleting board she had often used for keeping track of her quest. Neither an alarm clock nor a phone were necessary, as the room already had each of the item placed neatly by the bed, right in front of an elegant vase of orchid.

Screenshot-12.jpg
There were other antiques existing in the room that brought the same ancient accent into place, such as a Dragon's Vase sitting in the opposite corner of Alice's bed, though she injected her own personality with a photo featuring Mirium Monroe's sparkling accessories, shot just before her demise, and another photo of yet another dead celebrity, Lizbeth Osbourne, taken the night before her brutal slaughter.

In fact, Alice seemed to take a liking to the collection of items taken into celebrities' possession only a short while before they were met with some horrible fate. The Ode to Middlebury sculpture - a disembodied glass head of a woman sitting atop her cabinet - was a depiction of Madame Middlebury, a notoriously bad poet who ultimately ended her career in a most poetic manner: a cerebrovascular accident just as she was supposedly completing 'her first quality work known to sims.' A stroke, in simple terms. A bright-colored trophy protruded proudly on the right side of the glass sculpture. The "late nighter's award," as it was known to sims everywhere today, once belonged to Lindsay Nohanna, another celebrity cast in a bad light with her nightly wild parties. Nevertheless, the party animal was one of the most entertaining party guest to be invited, and the award was given to her... two weeks before a typical overdose drug demise.

Screenshot-13.jpg
However, her most prized possessions were probably the two sets of pictures hanging adjacently towards one another. The first was a series of photo shots taken by Alice in Strangetown - several months before the nuclear accident. It was a beautiful paradise once, and the shots definitely depicted it.

The other picture was of a magnificent Unicorn trotting through the woods, his surrounding sparkled by the magical Unicorn dusts still wildly rumored to exist along with the gallant creature himself through hundreds of myths and legends. 'The Windrunner,' as the picture was titled, was in fact one of Alice's oldest belongings, tracing back to unknown counts of thousands of sim years back, or perhaps even millions. Yet, surprisingly, disregarding the intact picture frame, the painting itself was practically untouched, free of dust or any other impurities.

Of course, Alice had ask for Gunther's permission before putting up all her wonders. The man of the house was more than glad to have Alice share her taste of art as all Goths before him had done so with pride and passion. In fact, touring her room a little later left him pleasantly surprised.

Screenshot-15.jpg
"This is Beagle's work," Gunther commented upon the Windrunner picture. "I'm surprised. It has been lost in records for millenniums, and yet you have it here, hanging in your room... with its framework and paintwork in perfect condition."

Screenshot-34.jpg
"I guess I'm just lucky," she replied grinning, before adding cheekily, "Didn't get it for a cheap price, of course."

Screenshot-35.jpg
"Yes, of course." Gunther solemnly stared into the picture as he replied. Alice had indeed turned out to be quite an interesting houseguest, and he would definitely be keeping his eyes on her.

Comments

• Options
    PlateinmywayPlateinmyway Posts: 1,474 New Member
    edited April 2012
    I really like it!Can't wait to read more :D
  • Options
    OminousFlareOminousFlare Posts: 2,118 Member
    edited April 2012
    (Thank you, Plateinmyway. :) )

Screenshot-9.jpg
    Mere hours after her arrival at the Goth manor, Alice had began spreading her existence like a wild fire. She took a job in the political career - albeit as a podium polisher - made partnership with several businesses throughout the town, and even bought out several properties that were inclusive of the Wilsonoff Community Theatre, the Papyrus Memorial Library, and also Central Park itself.

Screenshot-36.jpg
    Next, she began buying up all the properties across Sunset Valley that were not initally owned by the Goths. She started with gaining partnership at merely the small but popular Divisadero Budget Bookshop located at one end of Mirabello Plaza, a district that combined a theatre, a grocery store, and the bookshop together in one alignment. Divisadero was a local favorite with some of the rarest books available, but its choice of exotic merchandising rather than mainstream also made it less profitable.

As she made the exchange, an apparition passed by just in time, spotting the businesswoman-to-be inside. She shivered in her pink spectral form, as if she still had the capability to feel the chill of the night freezing her body. But it was obviously not Alice's potential business opportunity that frightened the phantom, but rather Alice herself... Regardless, the spirit floated away, awaiting her next opportunity to confront Alice.

Screenshot-37.jpg
    Almost immediately after, Alice moved on to another business venture, the EverFresh Delights Supermarket located at the other end of Mirabello. Some of the freshest harvests could be found here for dedicated gardeners, and a friendly workcrew made certain each morning's groceries came with a warm smile. The staff was especially pleasant with Alice, deeming it appropriate that such a lively young girl visited the homey Valley. They coaxed her into working part-time with them at a raised pay. but she politely refused. She had bigger fishes to fry.

Screenshot-38.jpg
    Finally, Alice headed to the theatre situated in between the two shops she had just visited. The Wilsonoff Community Theatre featured some of the most classic films any elderly could had named, from the beloved Masonblanca to Resident Caine to even some of the more recent classics, Pope Friction. That last one showed the change coming to modern cinema. As Alice entered the building, she contemplated on how seemingly close each of the citizens of the Valley were to each other. It almost seemed like a facde, like herself. Too perfect to be true was something Alice understood very well. Not that it was her favorite dinner topic.

Yet, there it was, flesh and blood. Sims. Real life sims that talked to each other, enjoying the company of a friendly stranger sitting in the creaky seat beside you as you join the audience in appreciating life itself through projected on a silver screen. It even brought reminscent to the oldest of times, when ancient sims were merely huddling together around fire on a pile of logs, their bottoms freezing from the stone cold floor inside the cave. Their only entertainment then was the very drawings they carved onto the walls. Yet, huddling together with your buddies and appreciating the cave-paintings depicting your history is a beautiful artform. It celebrated the sims' will to socialize and communicate, irregardless of how difficult speech was at any point of time and place in history. And Alice was there, reminded of all the riches sims had to offer. Not in the forms of simoleons,but in the form of love, care for each other, and the determination for your loved ones to strive on, and most important of all, never to have their legacy be forgotten.

At the end of the day, she bought together in total, excluding the properties of Mirabello, the LePetit Shark Pool Centre, the Papyrus Memorial Library, the Central Park, the Sunset Institute of Modern Art, and the 28 Hour Wellness Gym. She haven't told Gunther about it, of course, nor did she need to. Rumors spread fast in every town, even one with this size. She bought out eight properties in a single day. There was no way she was not going to attract attention.

And soon, the news of her dominating the land spread like wild fire, too. And Gunther Goth was not happy about it.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    PlateinmywayPlateinmyway Posts: 1,474 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Great update :D