Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Building up my Regency townhouse and amazed at the difference in cost between the two! Even with the additional story and 9 fireplaces, my entire unfurnished build is only 53,226 which is about 16k less than the estate!

Very happy with how the shell turned out, especially the 'low courtyard' at the servant's entrance and the back garden area.

Here is the exterior

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I didn't think to extend the front so there would be just floor tiles over the doorway beneath! Good job!
    @ciane Thanks!! I added some overhead shots/tags, still in build mode but you can at least see the floor layouts. (and looks like I missed a recolor in one or two places)

I really worked at the cost on this one relative to the last. On the estate I went with more expensive exterior wall coverings, and went with doors and windows closer to my ideal. On this build except for a couple of accents on the front, the entire exterior is either free or pool walls, all the doors are super cheap, the windows are cheaper, and just other little things that can really add-up quickly.

Almost entirely free floors, some "cheap floor" carpets, cheaper dressers than before... that gave me a lot more to work with in terms of adding more decor, so I really went extra in a few places. The rooms were roughly the same size as before but I did reduce the amount of furniture a little bit, fewer chairs and one less bed overall (sleeps 9 instead of 11). Also reduced to two full baths instead of three, but also split them between the actual *bath* room and the toilet room. Still two powder rooms (main floor and basement).

Even now as I look at it I think I could remove the wrought iron fencing around the back courtyard, it isn't really needed as the foundation wall acts as a fence anyway. That'll give me a bit more yet. Even so, this ended up with 11 fireplaces :o *and* still has the piano!

Your rooms are all really good sized! I like what I see. And yay, you got almost as many fireplaces as I did. Congrats!
    edited October 2019
    @ciane Yeah, in looking at the two, I think except for the main hall and sitting, the rooms in the second ended up being overall about the same size as the first. Goes to show just how important some of those "tiny costs" really are! O.O
    Sometimes you are concentrating on saving costs in one area and completely miss out on noticing the costs in other areas. Did you know that the wine racks are over 500 simoleans each? I started with 10 of them and kept selling back one or two until I ended with three, which is really plenty!
    @ciane oh I know!! Like that decorative lyre I put on the mantle is like 400! Or the 200 simolean shelves I scrapped from the first build (put *one* in the second!)
    edited October 2019
    Uploaded live shots of the townhouse!

I *finally* stopped fussing and ended with a final cost right around 119,975 or something like that. I am hard pressed to decide which I like better between the two.
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    Love it! The planters really make a great statement! I love how you used the dive wall - genius! Your front hall turned out awesome. I should have used some different flooring for pop appeal too! Great choices throughout! Very nice outcome.
  • dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    Maybe someone already asked this--but when is the actual due date for this challenge? The header says Nov. 30, but the text in the op says October 31. I didn't catch the difference in the date when I first read this so it looks like I'm too late?
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,224 Member
    Maybe someone already asked this--but when is the actual due date for this challenge? The header says Nov. 30, but the text in the op says October 31. I didn't catch the difference in the date when I first read this so it looks like I'm too late?

It should definitely be Oct. 31.
    image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »

Thank you. But :-(

I mean, yeah, that's the due date for judging, but you can still build the build to the specs and share it even if you don't finish in time, half the fun is sharing what you've done :)
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    So I REALLY wanted to compete in this one but sadly, life happens and I won't be able to finish it in time for the deadline. :disappointed:
    But I have this bad habit of starting projects and not finishing them so I am making it a personal goal of mine to finish this build! If anyone wants to see the finished product, I'll post a link to it here when I've completed it and you all can enjoy it! :wink:

Ditto what @creativemetaphor said and YES, of course, @Kesminlix, you know we want to see it!

I mean, yeah, that's the due date for judging, but you can still build the build to the specs and share it even if you don't finish in time, half the fun is sharing what you've done :)

Indeed, but if I'm going to build Pemberley (for non-contest reasons), I'm going to BUILD Pemberley. Capturing it's understated grandeur and lovely grounds for any budget is quite a challenge.
    Just a heads-up to anyone who thought they missed the deadline, the challenge doesn't end until the official "closed" post it posted, so if you were working on your build, you still have time to sneak it in!
  • CidyWolfCidyWolf Posts: 68 Member
    > @creativemetaphor said:
    > Just a heads-up to anyone who thought they missed the deadline, the challenge doesn't end until the official "closed" post it posted, so if you were working on your build, you still have time to sneak it in!

Hello. I recently found the build challenge and since I'm new to the forum and building I was waiting for the next challenge. Is there a new deadline so I know when to come back and look for the next one?

I was also wondering if there has ever been a collaboration between the build challenges and a CAW builder? Winners would have their lots placed into the world. The world would showcase the winners. I haven't been on the forum long enough to know if this has been done before. I enjoy downloading other peoples builds to play in or see them in my worlds.
    @CidyWolf - We used to get new challenges at the beginning of the month and had all month to complete them, but most of the writers and participants have moved on to Sims 4. Sometimes we just do the Sims 4 challenge in Sims 3.

We've never showcased the winners in a world that I know of, but you are welcome to download any lots to your world.
    > @ciane said:
    > @CidyWolf - We used to get new challenges at the beginning of the month and had all month to complete them, but most of the writers and participants have moved on to Sims 4. Sometimes we just do the Sims 4 challenge in Sims 3.
    >
    > We've never showcased the winners in a world that I know of, but you are welcome to download any lots to your world.

Thank you Ciane. I haven't played the Sims 4 yet. I'm not really eager to even try it. I arrived late to the Sims 3 party. I guess I was just thinking working on lots for a world is what sets the two games apart.
    I try to download what I can, but I still don't have all the expansions and stuff packs. Weird things have happened when I download homes I don't have the expansions for, like floating kitchen counters that get stuck in the air :D
    Anyway, thanks for your response. I was just curious and it was just another one of my weird ideas :)
    @CidyWolf - that's really weird that you you would get floating counters. I have all the EPs and SPs, so I don't ever see that. I do know that if someone uses store content you don't have, it will just revert to something already in your game. I think they cloned objects and you get whatever it was cloned from. On the floating counters... maybe someone used build cheats on them. If you use constrainFloorElevation to lower walls, lots of things are then left floating and have to be anchored back down by grabbing and releasing each object.

Like you, I am not eager at all about playing Sims 4 either. I tried it once on the free trial and it just didn't appeal to me.

Hopefully, someone will come along and offer up a new challenge for us here. Just check back in later.

The Sims 4 current challenge will be over soon and then they'll get a new one. Maybe we'll get one then.
    > @ciane said:
    > @CidyWolf - that's really weird that you you would get floating counters. I have all the EPs and SPs, so I don't ever see that. I do know that if someone uses store content you don't have, it will just revert to something already in your game. I think they cloned objects and you get whatever it was cloned from. On the floating counters... maybe someone used build cheats on them. If you use constrainFloorElevation to lower walls, lots of things are then left floating and have to be anchored back down by grabbing and releasing each object.
    >
    > Like you, I am not eager at all about playing Sims 4 either. I tried it once on the free trial and it just didn't appeal to me.
    >
    > Hopefully, someone will come along and offer up a new challenge for us here. Just check back in later.
    >
    > The Sims 4 current challenge will be over soon and then they'll get a new one. Maybe we'll get one then.

@ciane I will look more closely to see if the cheat may have been used if I don't have the EP. I even tried to get the stencils from Ode to MrHawk n Bily, which ironically I think is yours? :D Anyway, it wouldn't install for me, there is a lot of content I don't have so that might be why. I thought Steam would have Sims 3 EP and stuff on sale for Halloween, unfortunately they didn't. I will be waiting and hoping they go on sale again soon. I need WA, Island Paradise and almost all the stuff packs. I definitely want to get the last two expansions next. It seems as though I need them for many of the custom worlds.

I will check back again soon. Thanks again :)
    hm. @CidyWolf do you have the latest store patch? If you are on the last patch for the game, then you have it. If you, like me, are on 1.67 instead of 1.69, then you might not have that second store patch. I do have a link to that if you need it. If you try to install something that uses store content created with the last store patch 2.2, I think, then it won't install if you only have the first store patch. And, sometimes the exchange is just finicky and maybe the download took a hit during downloading and downloading again will help. The other thing to try is to create a new sims 3 folder by renaming your old folder and trying to install into that new folder. If you are on the old patch of the game (1.67), you need to find that latest store patch (2.2) and install it. I have a link in the blog on my page.
    > @ciane said:
    > hm. @CidyWolf do you have the latest store patch? If you are on the last patch for the game, then you have it. If you, like me, are on 1.67 instead of 1.69, then you might not have that second store patch. I do have a link to that if you need it. If you try to install something that uses store content created with the last store patch 2.2, I think, then it won't install if you only have the first store patch. And, sometimes the exchange is just finicky and maybe the download took a hit during downloading and downloading again will help. The other thing to try is to create a new sims 3 folder by renaming your old folder and trying to install into that new folder. If you are on the old patch of the game (1.67), you need to find that latest store patch (2.2) and install it. I have a link in the blog on my page.

Yes I m using 1.69. I don't know how to check which store patch I am using, but I should have it from what I am understanding.
    Just tried to download again and it says
    Installation failed. You must install the associated premium content before installing this style. Done!
    I haven't tried creating a new folder yet. I may try that later or just leave it alone before i break something :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top