Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    @Hidehi Wow! Your campers are amazing! :) I love the two story one! <3
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member

Ooh I just noticed BnS has a neighbourhood challenge in Sims 4. Wouldn’t it be cool if that will come to us next. Would folks be interested?
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited October 2019
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    Ooh I just noticed BnS has a neighbourhood challenge in Sims 4. Wouldn’t it be cool if that will come to us next. Would folks be interested?

Yes, of course!! It is turning out better than I thought it might there, and it will hopefully be a hit here, if and when we get to do it! Seems like the BnS people have a lot going on behind the scenes on this community project. I have asked for an updated project for us on the Facebook page.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    5nd1sli.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited October 2019
    From toe to tip, she was the very image of the perfect lady from the 1800’s. Her high-waisted dress in cream silk with a red velvet pelisse, lace gloves, and topped with a brown velvet bonnet with feathers and ribbons so wonderfully framing her older, but still very lovely face.

She gracefully offers her hand and gives a small curtsey. “How do you do?”

“I’m- well. Thank you,” you say, feeling so utterly graceless and crude in your manners by comparison.

“I am glad to hear it,” she says, either not caring or not noticing your awkwardness.

“Please, have a seat. Um, would you like some tea?” It seems the only appropriate thing to offer, really.

“No, thank you,” she says as she sinks into the chair with a grace you only wish you had.

You take your seat and pick up your pencil, ready to take notes.

“Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jane Moore; I am the president of the local chapter of the Jane Austen Society.”

You’ve seen some of the movies based on her books, it’s how you knew the time frame of her clothing. “Oh, I love her stories,” you say, not quite admitting you’ve never actually read the books. “How can I help?”

“Well, I have recently come into a small fortune,” she says, though you suspect by ‘small’ she is being purposefully modest. “And wish to have a house built based on our beloved authoress's time. My very own Pemberly, if you will.”

“That is quite a large house, if I remember correctly?”

“Indeed, though it is not the size I am after, but the elegance. I wish for a house that will exude the Regency, where I can entertain, keep guests, and host teas.”

That still sounds quite large to you, but you write down what she says. You’ll discuss finer details later.

“I also wish for an extensive garden, both flowers and vegetables. My gardener will tend them, and my cook will need to have the fresh produce easily accessible.”

“I see. Will you, um…” you wonder how to gracefully put this. “Will they need bedrooms?”

“Good heavens, no. I will only employ one live-in staff member, my nurse. The others will simply work for me. People have their own places these days,” she says as if that should have been perfectly obvious. And perhaps it would have been under other circumstances.

“Tell me a bit more about what you’d like in your house,” you say, wanting to change the subject.

“It will need all the basic rooms; a large central hall with the staircase, a parlor, sitting room, drawing room, dining room, library and study, and I need six bedrooms, plus appropriate bathing and toilet facilities. I have a grand piano, so will need space to put it.”

As you write you notice one rather important thing seems to be missing. “And a kitchen?” you prompt.

“Oh, that’s all down below the house. I trust you, as the architect, to fill in the appropriate spaces there.”

“Of course, I will ensure nothing is overlooked.”

“One last thing. My favorite color is red, which I want reflected in the decor, but I don’t want it to be overwhelming, make judicious use of it.”

The Brief:
    • 120k budget
    • Create a Regency-era house, at least three floors in height.
    • The basement should hold the kitchen
    • The main floor(s) should have all formal, separate spaces and include a large hall with staircase, a parlor, a sitting room, a drawing room with space for a grand piano (you do not need to place it if you don’t have one, just allow space for one), a dining room, a library with study, and at least one toilet room.
    • The upper floor(s) should hold 6 bedrooms plus bathrooms and toilet rooms.
    • There should be a kitchen garden and flower gardens included in the landscaping.
    • Limited use of modern-looking items.
    • Include red (in an understated way) in the decor.

Optional Challenge
    Create Jane Moore and her live-in nurse, as well as an employed staff of a cook, gardener, and housekeeper.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited October 2019
    From toe to tip, she was the very image of the perfect lady from the 1800’s. Her high-waisted dress in cream silk with a red velvet pelisse, lace gloves, and topped with a brown velvet bonnet with feathers and ribbons so wonderfully framing her older, but still very lovely face.

“I’m- well. Thank you,” you say, feeling so utterly graceless and crude in your manners by comparison.

“I am glad to hear it,” she says, either not caring or not noticing your awkwardness.

“Please, have a seat. Um, would you like some tea?” It seems the only appropriate thing to offer, really.

“No, thank you,” she says as she sinks into the chair with a grace you only wish you had.

“Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jane Moore; I am the president of the local chapter of the Jane Austen Society.”

You’ve seen some of the movies based on her books, it’s how you knew the time frame of her clothing. “Oh, I love her stories,” you say, not quite admitting you’ve never actually read the books. “How can I help?”

“Well, I have recently come into a small fortune,” she says, though you suspect by ‘small’ she is being purposefully modest. “And wish to have a house built based on our beloved authoress's time. My very own Pemberly, if you will.”

“Indeed, though it is not the size I am after, but the elegance. I wish for a house that will exude the Regency, where I can entertain, keep guests, and host teas.”

That still sounds quite large to you, but you write down what she says. You’ll discuss finer details later.

“I also wish for an extensive garden, both flowers and vegetables. My gardener will tend them, and my cook will need to have the fresh produce easily accessible.”

“I see. Will you, um…” you wonder how to gracefully put this. “Will they need bedrooms?”

“Good heavens, no. I will only employ one live-in staff member, my nurse. The others will simply work for me. People have their own places these days,” she says as if that should have been perfectly obvious. And perhaps it would have been under other circumstances.

“Tell me a bit more about what you’d like in your house,” you say, wanting to change the subject.

“It will need all the basic rooms; a large central hall with the staircase, a parlor, sitting room, drawing room, dining room, library and study, and I need six bedrooms, plus appropriate bathing and toilet facilities. I have a grand piano, so will need space to put it.”

As you write you notice one rather important thing seems to be missing. “And a kitchen?” you prompt.

“Oh, that’s all down below the house. I trust you, as the architect, to fill in the appropriate spaces there.”

“One last thing. My favorite color is red, which I want reflected in the decor, but I don’t want it to be overwhelming, make judicious use of it.”

The Brief:
    • 120k budget
    • The main floor(s) should have all formal, separate spaces and include a large hall with staircase, a parlor, a sitting room, a drawing room with space for a grand piano (you do not need to place it if you don’t have one, just allow space for one), a dining room, a library with study, and at least one toilet room.
    • There should be a kitchen garden and flower gardens included in the landscaping.

Optional Challenge
    Create Jane Moore and her live-in nurse, as well as an employed staff of a cook, gardener, and housekeeper.

OMG! I feel like I am being so very picky! I know you are busy. The challenge is #220. What are we calling this one?

On the other hand, I love this build! It will be tons of fun!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »

The Brief:
    • 120k budget

Optional Challenge

OMG! I feel like I am being so very picky! I know you are busy. The challenge is #220. What are we calling this one?

On the other hand, I love this build! It will be tons of fun!

The TS4 version was A Truth Universally Acknowledged.
    image.png
    @SimTresa Thanks so much!!!!
    That helps a lot!
    That helps a lot!

You're welcome. It's another Jane Eyre reference, in case you didn't recognize it.
    image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »
    That helps a lot!

You're welcome. It's another Jane Eyre reference, in case you didn't recognize it.

Very first line of Pride and Prejudice. :D She is one of my favorite authors.

Please, everyone, use the form for this build, and put in official entries! No one will judge our entries! I know everyone is giving each other feedback, but the judges really share some good comments about our builds to help us get better. Thanks!!!

edited October 2019
    rORawFi.jpg
    iM2L18W.jpg

As usual, way too big and expensive :( no furnishings, landscaping, or finishings yet, and already over $62,000. Back to the drawing roo...board

How is everyone else doing?
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @iampes23 I've got the building and doors, some wall coverings, and a couple of fireplaces and over 100k already. Not much left to furnish with...
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Big, grand homes aren't my cup of tea and the purpose of all the rooms are a bit confusing for me; so I went here for help:
    https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343236

And I basically came up with this:
    Sitting room -informal place to spend time without guests, often a small room off a bedroom for sitting and relaxing. BUT, also known as a front room near the entrance in smaller, less influential homes, kept in pristine condition for company. So, the later part doesn't really apply here; does it? It's the parlor where the guests will be formally greeted and the sitting room will be for the lady of the house, right?

(With)drawing room - formal place to gather with visitors; where ladies withdrew after dinner, and could be joined by male guests? This is where the grand piano goes.

Salo(o)n - very large room capable of handling public exhibitions, balls, etc. and specifically for entertaining company. NOT requested in this build.

Parlo(u)r - small semiprivate, but formal sitting or meeting room apart from the main lounge that is set aside for receiving and conversing with guests, where gentlemen might go for cigars and conversation after dinner? OR just the place guests wait for the hostess and maybe aren't invited anywhere else!

Study - room intended for studying or writing. And, according to Wikipedia, which one should never use as a source document, historically, reserved for use as the private office and reading room of the formal head of a household.

I'm not sure if I'll attempt this build or not, though I do like the challenge of building on a budget.

@iampes23 - great first attempt! I've found an interesting floor plan and looked at lots of regency style rooms and homes. It is a challenge!
    @ciane Awesome breakdown of the spaces!
    My ts4 build, Echoes of Old Brindleton, was actually a combo of ideas I found form searching around, including a similar list of the types of rooms. I managed to add a servants' hallway too. Of course we also ended up asking for a bigger budget.
    image.png
    Have redesigned to eliminate the 4th floor my original design had, and cut the bathrooms drastically (instead of one per bedroom!) and cut out most of the fireplaces. /sigh/ they had looked really cool but alas, were not budget-friendly.

Hopefully that'll be enough that I don't have to start over entirely! *fingers crossed!*

@BuildnShare Question on budget - if we don't have to place the grand piano since some people may not have the expansion that includes it, can we eliminate the 5,000 cost from our build if we do include it? (basically make it a freebie?)
    I am not happy with the second build...well, at least not with the roof so far. I think the images i found on the internet for regency are iffy, as some seem to be from Georgia. I better pop in a Jane Austen movie and watch it again for the architecture, although those houses may not be period either. But I will come up with something acceptable, I hope. I am also trying to put in servant hallways. I have one on the first floor, but I am not happy with the way that is turning out either. It could have something to do with the stairs, since I have an outer rim of foundation. I think I like the first lot better as well...
    I feel another redo coming on!
    @iampes23 Remember that a lot of the prestigious houses would have been built pre-regency, so it's okay to borrow from older styles!

My redesign has gone a long way toward solving the budget crisis, but it's still a really tight fit... and I've barely done the landscaping yet! :s
    @iampes23 Remember that a lot of the prestigious houses would have been built pre-regency, so it's okay to borrow from older styles!

My redesign has gone a long way toward solving the budget crisis, but it's still a really tight fit... and I've barely done the landscaping yet! :s

A very good point, thank you! I re-watched Persuasion, and I am going to attempt that house's style on the outside as best as Sims 3 can. Well, on the front of the house. But it may end up more cottage-sized because of the tiny budget. This is going to be a huge challenge since we can't just use the cheapest furniture.
    Good luck with your landscaping! I hope you are able to fit everything in.
    I think I am off to research regency patterns! With hints of red, of course! lol

@iampes23
    This is going to be a huge challenge since we can't just use the cheapest furniture.

Exactly! And can't just toss the free wall patterns on everywhere!
    I... I might have done it :|
    edited October 2019
    Congrats, @creativemetaphor; and, I think if someone doesn't put in the 5k piano, then the price of the build should be 5k less.

Currently I have 30k left to furnish the bedrooms, add wallpaper, and do the landscaping.

Add done except for the CASting... under budget after swapping out a few things!
    Post edited by ciane on
    I need to recolor, but I *feel* as if I've gotten everything at a bare minimum. Well, okay, I ran out of time last night to add the veggie garden so I'll do that tonight, and I think I have about 1,000 to do that and add some interest to the kitchen (right now it's very, very bare!).

If the base budget remains 120k but the piano doesn't count, then I'll have plenty to decorate with. I keep going back and forth with removing the piano to recoup that cost, it would help the overall build. I might do that, the piano looks cool but ultimately it only enhances the corner of one room, whereas 5,000 can go a long way throughout the house.

Since the budget was specified at 120k and that the piano wasn't required, would seem kind of bad form to lower the budget now, especially half way though the month.
    edited October 2019
    Since the budget was specified at 120k and that the piano wasn't required, would seem kind of bad form to lower the budget now, especially half way though the month.

Nice try!
    BUT... it does only say space for one! And, space is free!
    Yeah... No way am I going to make the budget. The CAP is not working, with the patterns not going to my launcher or working when I try to get it to work it another way. So, I am going to go ahead and do the build, but it won't be for judging this time.

@creativemetaphor: congrats that you were able to get the budget under control! Great job!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top