Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    @Kgaff: Very nice and spacious home! I love the outside play pen so the toddler can get some fresh air, too!
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    @ciane beautiful build!
    @Kgaff I love your build as well! I think it's kind of funny that you built an adobe style house as mine is adobe/southwest/Mediterranean-ish (so far, until I change my mind for the umpteenth time :D )
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #215 - Breaking Out of the Box

NAME: suzses
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9322410
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEA77Mu

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A
    LEVEL: Advanced (although this month's build is pretty basic)
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 custom placed lot in my build world (Sunset Valley II) - Cost: 59,994

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I incorporated some Southwestern flavor in a basically Colonial-style, two-story home that I thought would be adaptable to a number of different worlds. The master bedroom with en suite is on the first floor, and the children's rooms, second bath, family room, and a small office are on the second.

Most everything should be obvious from the pictures, but I will mention that the shelf above the TV is the same wood as the other wall shelves in the living and family rooms, although it appears white in the picture.

The uploaded version is exactly the same as my submission, but I sent in a sim to upgrade the bath fixtures and the washing machine to unbreakable, which also depreciated the lot to a little over 46,000. I would suggest to anyone who is interested in downloading it to delete the walker and playpen (and maybe the baby swing?) if you are not using the lot for your active family. In my games, I have had toddlers get stuck in those in inactive households.

I really enjoyed working with the budget on this one. <3

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you) N/A
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you) N/A
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you) N/A

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

48145419037_c496a87f8a_c.jpg

48145353826_ce6d12ce33_c.jpg

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Nice homes everyone!

I like the layout of @ciane's house and the multi-level style works well with all these sims. Nice colors for the bedrooms too!
    @Kesminlix that's fun that you went southwestern too. My first build looked more like a farm house and I didn't think it fit the family as well. Can't wait to see yours
    @suzses Basic build or not, it's really nice. Every time I see one of your homes I find things and say "I didn't know you could CAST that!"
    @iampes23 Thanks for the story it was fun. Sorry to hear about your computer, hopefully you will get back with us soon :)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited June 2019
    @suzses - It looks like you got quite a bit in your build as well. Very nice!
  • mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM NO.215 - Breaking Out of the Box

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9322554

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/sSj4V8G

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30; 70 Rochell Lane, Appaloosa Plains; Final Cost: 60,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: For this build I wanted something that was homey, so I decided to go a bit in the farmhouse direction. I tried to keep the colors light and the furnishings cozy. I made the eat in area large enough so that the whole family could eat together and the windows offer a good view of any kids playing in the back yard. I turned that little loft space over beside the stairs into a little play area becasue the house is on the smaller size. The master and nursery is on the main floor which gives the older children a sense of having their own space. Hope you enjoy.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #215 - Breaking Out of the Box
    NAME: ADWilson

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9322618
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://adwilson1991.wordpress.com/bns-215/

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL: Intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30; 18 Maywood Lane (Sunset Valley); §59,673

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Siempre en Casa means Forever Home and is the main thought that ran through my mind while creating this home for Domingo and his family. A bright cheerful color palette and comfortable furnishings were selected as this is a home meant to be lived in! There is plenty of room for this growing family as well as space to add on as needed. Some walls are left blank for children's drawings and family portraits ... fencing can be added to expand the yard as interests and needs change. Over time, this home will be filled with love & laughter and lots of memories.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a
    TWITTER TAG: @ tealmum
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: n/a
    TUMBLR LINK: n/a
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)
    front-w_words.jpg
    Really enjoyed looking at the different interpretations of the same "story" :)

@ciane A thoughtful, efficient layout with all the comforts of home! The color palette is calm and soothing which would be good for a family that went through a really rough patch.

@Kgaff A colorful, cheerful space for this growing family! Attractive architectural design and pretty landscaping add to the charm of this home.

@suzses The natural materials and pops of color pair together nicely in creating this happy home! Your idea of creating an outdoor space for the entire family is really nice.

@mederouin A Contemporary Farmhouse is a great idea! As is placing the bedrooms for the older children upstairs. Plenty of space inside and out so the family won't have to be on top of one another all the time unless they want to be.
    I love seeing all the different homes created!
    @mederouin - Your farmhouse is lovely with all its different roofs, heights, and porches.
    @ADWilson - What a perfectly lovely home you've made for this large family. It looks like it will play very well and I love the color you chose and your pretty landscaping.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @ADWilson Glad you could join us this month. :) Love your pretty exterior colors, and that's a great one-story layout for keeping track of everyone, which is important with a large family.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited July 2019
    Just a head's up. This was posted on Sims 4 by BuildnShare:

Builders - we forgot to take the US July 4th holidays into consideration this week! As I will be out of town this week, I'm extending the deadline to NEXT Wednesday, July 10th. Enjoy, and happy holidays to all celebrating (And Happy Canada Day to our friends to the north :) )

This may be why we don't have a new challenge for the month yet. At least, I am hopeful it is the reason!! Thank you all for participating in the Box challenge!! I love all of the houses! (So glad I am not a judge!)

Happy 4th of July everyone! And Happy Canada Day! And for everyone else--just have a great day!! lol

side note: I just got a new badge!
    500 Comments
    500 Comments

Settled in, saw the sights, learned the territory, and most importantly: gave back.
    iampes23You earned this badge 9:28PM

2916 people have earned this badge.

Woohoooooooo! I am actually shocked at the small number of people who have this badge on such a large forum-based website. Great job to all those of us who do!!
    Congrats @iampes23! And thanks for sharing that post with us.
    ciane wrote: »
    Congrats @iampes23! And thanks for sharing that post with us.

Thanks! And you are very welcome!

Congratulations on your newest badge @iampes23!
    Also, thank YOU for sharing the post regarding the Sims 4 BnS which may in turn effect this one.
    ADWilson wrote: »
    Congratulations on your newest badge @iampes23!
    Also, thank YOU for sharing the post regarding the Sims 4 BnS which may in turn effect this one.

You are very welcome!!
    edited July 2019
    I like the new Sims 4 challenge of making over a little two bedroom home into a nice-sized four bedroom with laundry without redoing exterior walls (but with the possibility to add on to them) on a fairly generous budget. Maybe we could do the same with the "El" in Sunset Valley. It is around 25k as is. With an added budget of 100k, I'm sure we could all make that home into something spectacular.
    250?cb=20100502115323
    The brief says that two sims lost their son and daughter-in-law in a tornado, but the kids were in school and safe. The baby also managed to survive. So. a teen-aged gal, two boys, and a toddler or baby need to be have room and things they like in their grandparents updated home.

Anyone think they'd like the challenge?

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17154835/#Comment_17154835

You can change all of the wallpapers, flooring and interior furnishings as you see fit.
    You cannot delete the outer walls, but you can completely gut the inside and add walls onto the current exterior.
    Keep the existing foundation and wall heights the same - these cannot be changed.
    You can add a basement or upper floor if you wish.
    The Costellos prefer soft pastels or neutral colors for the living areas and master suite.

MUST INCLUDE:
    a kitchen geared towards baking, with plenty of counter space.
    a laundry room.
    a total of at least three full bathrooms.
    a total of at least four bedrooms (should be larger than the current bedrooms).
    a laundry room

Childrens’ Preferences:
    Regina is into pink, purple, and gold. She enjoys ballet, ice skating, and painting. (teen)
    Maximillian's favorite colors are green and black. He loves football and video games.
    Roberto's favorite color is blue. He loves Westerns, cowboys , horses, and video games.
    The baby (can be a toddler) responds well to bright, primary colors. It loves learning toys and teddy bears.
    Post edited by ciane on
    edited July 2019
    I like the new Sims 4 challenge of making over a little two bedroom home into a nice-sized four bedroom with laundry without redoing exterior walls (but with the possibility to add on to them) on a fairly generous budget. Maybe we could do the same with the "El" in Sunset Valley. It is around 25k as is. With an added budget of 100k, I'm sure we could all make that home into something spectacular.
    250?cb=20100502115323
    The brief says that two sims lost their son and daughter-in-law in a tornado, but the kids were in school and safe. The baby also managed to survive. So. a teen-aged gal, two boys, and a toddler or baby need to be have room and things they like in their grandparents updated home.

Anyone think they'd like the challenge?

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17154835/#Comment_17154835

You can change all of the wallpapers, flooring and interior furnishings as you see fit.
    You cannot delete the outer walls, but you can completely gut the inside and add walls onto the current exterior.
    Keep the existing foundation and wall heights the same - these cannot be changed.
    The Costellos prefer soft pastels or neutral colors for the living areas and master suite.

MUST INCLUDE:
    a laundry room.
    a laundry room

Childrens’ Preferences:
    Regina is into pink, purple, and gold. She enjoys ballet, ice skating, and painting. (teen)
    Maximillian's favorite colors are green and black. He loves football and video games.
    Roberto's favorite color is blue. He loves Westerns, cowboys , horses, and video games.
    The baby (can be a toddler) responds well to bright, primary colors. It loves learning toys and teddy bears.

If you are interested in doing this one, there is a cabin you can download to tear apart. It is here : https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9296754

Anyone else interested in checking up on what the Sims 4 people are doing, the link to their forum is : https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/769875/build-n-share-challenge-123-the-family-emergency-due-24th-july-2019/p1

The Family Energency

You take a sip of tea as you gaze out of your office window, relaxing for a minute before you start designing for a new client. But there is a brisk knock on the door before Karla immediately bursts in looking excited and a little stressed out.

"Sorry to disturb you, but they keep saying it is an emergency," she sputters. Karla is Karl's sister whom you’ve taken on as a backup assistant while Karl is taking a well deserved vacation for a few weeks. In retrospect, it may not have been your best idea ever. You make a mental note to remind her to wait for the okay to come in after knocking.

"Who is saying that? What is going on?" you ask, feeling just a little stressed yourself by Karla’s frazzled manner. Karla may be Karl’s twin, but the two couldn’t be more different.

"The..." Karla consults her notebook. "The Costello family. Anthony, Irma, Regina, Maximilian,
    Roberto, and...well, the baby. " She looks up and smiles widely, as if she has done a good job.

"Perhaps it would be easiest if you just let them in." You smile back and can't help wondering what the emergency is.

The dark-haired Costello family piles through the doorway. Karla closes the door a little too hard behind them, and everyone, including you, jumps. The man is tall and thin. The woman, who is holding a sleeping baby. The girl is a lanky teenager in old, faded jeans, and you note that her eyes are glued to her cell phone, tuning out everything around her. The twin boys are clearly dressed to try to mimic their older sister’s style, but they look like they have a bit of baby fat to get rid of in order to pull it off. The baby asleep in the woman’s arms (his mother?) looks just like a little chubby angel.

"Hello, welcome!” you say, trying to put the family at ease. Please have a seat and tell me about yourselves.”

Anthony gives you a firm handshake before taking his seat. You notice gray hairs and fine wrinkles, which were not distinguishable from a distance. When you glance at Irma, you notice she has the same gray hairs and fine wrinkles of age. They’re not elders yet, but they’re not as young as you first thought. The kids all look at the floor, sad and quiet.

Irma takes a deep, breath heavy with sadness and emotion. "We are sorry to burst in on you like this, but we are having a family emergency and desperately need help right away."

Anthony, also clearly fighting back emotion, avoids your eyes for a few seconds as he begins to explain, “The rogue tornado that tore through Sunset Valley a few days ago killed our only son Chip and his wife Delilah. The children, thank goodness, escaped the worst of the storm since they were in class at the Community School for the Gifted at the time."

He shakes his head sadly and looks up at you. "So we are taking the children to raise, but our one bedroom condo in Bridgeport is just not enough space for six people."

"I am very sorry for your loss, but I do agree with you. That condo sounds very cramped," you say sympathetically. "Sounds like you need a new house, and fast."

"Well, yes and no,” he clarifies. “We have a fairly large plot of land with a vacation cabin on it in Willow Creek. It already has two tiny bedrooms - just big enough for two single beds and a dresser in each. A little bathroom, a hallway, and a family room with a small galley kitchen comprise the rest of the cabin. Great for a few days vacation, obviously, but not for constant living," Anthony relays.

Irma chimes in. "We are really hoping you could add at least two more baths, expand the current spaces, and add at least two more bedrooms. And a laundry room is vital - we’re doing laundry constantly with all these precious darlings," she says, gesturing to her new brood.

Anthony adds, "Irma is the best baker I know, so the kitchen needs plenty of counter space, please." Irma blushes a bit with pride and gives Anthony a beaming smile.

"What about style, colors, finishes?" you ask. Irma, obviously the planner of the family, hands you a piece of paper which you start to glance over.

Anthony explains, "Irma made up of a list of our must haves and likes. Our budget is only $135,000. Do you think you can make it all work?" He looks slightly anxious.

You smile reassuringly. "Definitely! We can have the house renovated to your specs in no more than two weeks. Is that soon enough?"

"We really appreciate that!" Irma says, tears welling in her eyes.

Hiding a bit of emotion of your own, you lead Anthony and Irma through the paperwork and begin planning their new family home.

The Brief:

You must use the house Rindle Rose which totals §36,774. You have §135,000 to spend in addition to that amount, for a total of §178,000 (rounded up from §177,774).
    You can place the house on any lot Willow Creek, but you must include the cost of the lot in the §178,000 budget.

MUST INCLUDE:

a laundry room [Sims 4 - Laundry stuff is not required - be creative with MOO and the objects you have in your game]

Childrens’ Preferences:

Regina is into pink, purple, and gold. She enjoys ballet, ice skating, and painting.

Sim Challenge
    Create the family and show them enjoying their new home. Include their likes, skills, and jobs where applicable. Also show pictures of their clothes.

**You would use the downloadable cabin instead of the house stated and place the lot in any world, but it was made on the lot next to the waterfall/lake in Sunset Valley--I don't remember what the cabin costs, but it will be the same math. The cabin price (note it down) and the cost of the lot will be part of the $178,000--or we could use Ciane's suggested budget. Aside from that--all the rest should be the same. Go for it!!

Which budget are we going with?
    edited July 2019
    I had fun redoing the El yesterday. This morning, my launcher just kept closing itself. I got the launcher to stay open once, but the background was all white and the place where you scroll was a thin-lined red X. Then, the launcher closed itself again. I just renamed my sims 3 folder, ran ccleaner, and restarted my computer. Then I could install your lot and copy the library file over to my old sims 3 folder. So, I'll take a look at that lot now.

I know the Sims 4 challenge offered 135k over the price of the lot and rounded up. I'm not sure how much more expensive Sims 4 items are compared to Sims 3. So, I'm not a great judge of budget. (I was able to redo the El easily with a total lot cost under 100k.) But this cabin is around 40k, so adding 135k would give a total budget of 175k, to include lot cost; or you could just use the 178k total as it's not that much more.

Things to remember with this make-over are that the bedrooms should be larger than they currently are and that the exterior walls can NOT be deleted, just added on to.
    Post edited by ciane on
    I had fun redoing the El yesterday. This morning, my launcher just kept closing itself. I got the launcher to stay open once, but the background was all white and the place where you scroll was a thin-lined red X. Then, the launcher closed itself again. I just renamed my sims 3 folder, ran ccleaner, and restarted my computer. Then I could install your lot and copy the library file over to my old sims 3 folder. So, I'll take a look at that lot now.

I know the Sims 4 challenge offered 135k over the price of the lot and rounded up. I'm not sure how much more expensive Sims 4 items are compared to Sims 3. So, I'm not a great judge of budget. (I was able to redo the El easily with a total lot cost under 100k.) But this cabin is around 40k, so adding 135k would give a total budget of 175k, to include lot cost; or you could just use the 178k total as it's not that much more.

Things to remember with this make-over are that the bedrooms should be larger than they currently are and that the exterior walls can NOT be deleted, just added on to.

Sorry to hear about the launcher problems. I have had things like that happen in the past, too. Glad you fixed them(fingers crossed).

Honestly, with the cabin costing 40k already, I think the rounded up $178,000 would still be decent. If you can do it for less, great! The plants/landscaping are more expensive in Sims 4,but I think the actual walls and wallpapers/floors are more expensive in Sims 3. I do have a bad memory, and it has been several months since I was in either game--so don't hold me to that. :D

Okay, executive decision: budget is the stated $178,000! I hope a few of us can get the build done by the end of the month.
    And this would be BnS#216. Happy building everyone!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member
    All right, I'll put this up on the Discord channel in case anyone over there but not on the forum wnats in. Also was the last one not 214 then?
    image.png
    I finished for the night. All the furnishings are in place, but all the CASting is NOT done yet. And, I'll probably add some other things when I revisit it later. For now, I'm still under 100k.
    SimTresa wrote: »
    All right, I'll put this up on the Discord channel in case anyone over there but not on the forum wnats in. Also was the last one not 214 then?

We did the Box one last month-but the front challenge has not been changed yet, so it was 215.
    I finished for the night. All the furnishings are in place, but all the CASting is NOT done yet. And, I'll probably add some other things when I revisit it later. For now, I'm still under 100k.

Great job with the budget! I went with the larger budget just in case people are like me and have a very hard time with a small budget. lol

• SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »
    SimTresa wrote: »

We did the Box one last month-but the front challenge has not been changed yet, so it was 215.

Great job with the budget! I went with the larger budget just in case people are like me and have a very hard time with a small budget. lol

Ahh, ok, missed that. And 175000 isn't small for this. 😉
    image.png
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited July 2019
    I've been working on the "El" that @ciane recommended. My only problem is that that one leaves a long, skinny hallway that is tricky to build off of. Also it makes for a weird transition to my new areas. I'm at 70,000 and change right now and running out of things to buy. I still need lighting and some wallpaper here and there but wow, what else could they want :|

I think if the budget was 175,000 I could build them a mansion!! :)

@iampes23 is your budget of 178,000 for renovating the cabin you linked to or to the "EL"? I'm going to check out the cabin right now.
    edited July 2019
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I've been working on the "El" that @ciane recommended. My only problem is that that one leaves a long, skinny hallway that is tricky to build off of. Also it makes for a weird transition to my new areas. I'm at 70,000 and change right now and running out of things to buy. I still need lighting and some wallpaper here and there but wow, what else could they want :|

I think if the budget was 175,000 I could build them a mansion!! :)

@iampes23 is your budget of 178,000 for renovating the cabin you linked to or to the "EL"? I'm going to check out the cabin right now.

The cabin was built to go along with the challenge. I would prefer it was used, but if we have a majority doing the EL then we can use it. Can we get those doing this challenge to take a look at both and then let us know either cabin or EL, please? It will be easier for the judging if everyone does the same starting build. In either case, the budget is the same- $178,000.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top