Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I think it would be fun to build the Sims 4 challenge right now. It's a four bedroom, two bath home on a 20x30 or 30x40 (I think) for 60k.
    Read the write up here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17091723/#Comment_17091723
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    I think it would be fun to build the Sims 4 challenge right now. It's a four bedroom, two bath home on a 20x30 or 30x40 (I think) for 60k.
    Read the write up here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17091723/#Comment_17091723

I agree, ciane :)
    This could be fun to build!
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    I am glad you think so. :D It was the first one actually used that I wrote, and I am totally excited to see the results. Maybe it will be the next one for here as well. :D
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    That *is* a nice - and fun! - sounding challenge @iampes23. Maybe we should all do it, like @Kgaff says, just for fun, since the month is half over and there's nothing "official" going on here. It's all just fun anyway, right? I *might* be ready to work on something. I really love the gift exchanges like we just had, but they kind of take all of my time and creativity for a while. Even though it's over, it takes a while to get going again, and of course, there's the fun and necessary part of trying out everything that was made.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • ZinchtZincht Posts: 32 Member
    I think I'm going to try that. Or maybe I'll just make the family, and post them for all of you to place in your fun builds.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Hi, Sims3 builders - so sorry for the delay in posting a challenge this month. With only 2 entrants in the past two months, I was honestly wondering if it wasn't time to wind down the Sims 3 portion of the challenge as we arrived at the 10 year anniversary (WoW - 10 years! How is that even possible?!?). And I was avoiding having to face that conversation because the Sims 3 BnS challenge is where I first found my home in the Sims Community, and it would be so hard to say goodbye to it.

But, if there's still a group that wants to participate moving forward, we'll continue to post Sims 3 challenges! For this month, @iampes23 's current challenge for Sims 4 is a great way to go. I'll post the details for it in the post below.

Please reply and let us know your thoughts on continuing the challenge past June <3
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    mZ2UaUC.png

While you are checking out at the grocery store, a young boy and girl come in and ask the cashier if she has any boxes for them. The cashier assures them that she does and will have them brought to the front as soon as she finishes checking out the short line of customers. You wonder what kind of school project they are doing as you walk out to the parking lot and put your groceries in the car. You push your empty cart back into the store as the children come out, struggling to carry four large, flattened cardboard boxes.

"I hope Daddy will be able to make us a bedroom with these boxes!" the girl says excitedly as the boxes slip in her hands.

"Hold them tighter," the little boy commands as he stops and waits for her to get a better grip on the cardboard.

Curious as to the actual use of the boxes now, you offer to help the children carry them. They agree. You grab one end of the flattened boxes, and the children each grab a corner on the other end. A short walk down the road and into an alley later, and an extremely unique sight greets you. It is a series of large cardboard boxes made into a sort of house with what looks like multiple rooms.

"That is our castle," the little boy says, pointing to the cardboard structure. "Daddy keeps adding rooms as we get more boxes."

"Daddy is very handy," the little girls adds seriously.

A woman's voice calls out, "Amada! Bernardo! Is that you?" The woman emerges from the huge set of multi-sized boxes, carrying a baby and leading a toddler. She freezes when she sees you.

You introduce yourself and explain that you are just helping the children carry the large boxes. Then you casually ask, "Do you live in these boxes? They are definitely well put together! Is that wax on the top?" You are seeing gobs of white, drippy stuff all over the tops of the boxes, and some of it is dried along the seams.

The woman thaws a little and says, "Yes, wax. We melt candles to make the house more water prof from the rain. It is my husband Domingo's idea."
    "Genius!" you exclaim and are rewarded with a slight smile.

The kids beg to show you the inside, and you agree that you would like to see it. Reluctantly, the woman agrees and leads the way inside. Her children follow her, and you bring up the rear.

The first room is about four feet tall and six feet long by five feet wide. You notice odd pieces of wood taped to the "seams" in the boxes to help hold them upright. There are magazine pictures taped to the walls to make the interior more homey. A shabby rug covers a large section of the floor.

"This is our living room," Amada says shyly. "We sleep back there and our parents sleep in here."

"Come and see," says Bernardo. All three of you pass through what could be called a hallway. A small room on the left has a ten-gallon paint bucket with a cover on it, and you pause to look at it.

Amada sees you looking and mouths one word. "Toilet."

"Ahh!" you say. Interesting indoor plumbing you think as you continue on to the room at the end. A little smaller than the living room, this room has sleeping bags covering the floor.

"We will be able to build another bedroom as soon as Daddy gets enough boxes," Bernardo explains. "Then things will not be so cramped." Amada nods.

"How long have you been living here?" you ask quietly.

Bernardo looks at his hands. Finally Amada speaks. "Nearly two months. Daddy lost his job. He sold the car, but we still could not pay rent the next month. They kicked us out."

"But Daddy does odd jobs whenever he can. The guy that owns the restaurant here let's us stay in his alley and use the hose for water," Bernardo adds defensively. "And our older sister Emelda works part time at a fast food restaurant. She brings us food at night that they think she has thrown out. Sometimes she picks up a few side jobs, too."

"So, five children and two parents..." you say, thinking aloud. The children nod in agreement.

Taking a last look around and leaving with words of encouragement to the family and a $50 donation for their needs, you venture out into the dusk. You slowly walk back to your car, vowing silently to help this family as much as you can.

The next day you send an employee over to collect the father and oldest daughter for full-time jobs with good pay and benefits. You set them to work at your newest construction site, building their very own new home ( without telling them, of course).

The Brief:
    • You chip in §30,000 of your own money and manage to raise another §30,000 from generous community members for a total budget of §60,000.
    • Use a 30x20 or 30x40 lot. The cost of the lot comes out of your §60,000 budget.
    • Design a 4 bedroom/2 bath home for the destitute family.
    • The toddler and baby will share a room. You can either have the two girls or Amada and Bernado sharing a room as well.
    • Include laundry, an eat-in kitchen, a family room, and an outdoor play area for the kids.

Optional Challenge
    Create the family, giving names to all the unnamed members. Include likes, skills, and clothing choices; and show the family in their brand-new home.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • missroxormissroxor Posts: 392 Member
    Please reply and let us know your thoughts on continuing the challenge past June <3

I was late to BnS and I stopped bothering with TS4 after the 2nd expansion so I'm probably missing something really obvious but is there a reason you keep them separate? Can't you just post one challenge for both TS3 and TS4 entries? It's not like you win prizes so it doesn't really matter if TS3 can't participate in the side challenge (imo).

PS. I'd like to still have the option here but I don't participate often enough to demand that it stays open, lol. I could always go through old challenges if I'm desperate for inspiration.

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I enter the challenges when I have time and they really I inspire me. Work had been taking up a lot of my time lately, so I haven't been around.

I'd be sad to see these challenges go but I do understand that a lot of work goes into them. Maybe combining TS3 and TS4 could work with slight variations (obviously!).

Gotta say, this brief tugged at my heart strings and this family definitely needs a home.
    I participate when I'm interested. I'm just not interested in everything. So, it's a hit or miss with me if I'm going to be intrigued or blase. I too don't understand the need for separation between Sims 3 and Sims 4 challenge wise, though I will admit that I am not interested at all in the sims 4 part of it. So, I do like having a separate thread in the Sims 3 section isolated from Sims 4... but, if that's a problem, and you want to combine them, maybe that would work out better for you.
    I prefer having this in the Sims 3 section and never venture into anything Sims 4 related. I do understand that the Sims 4 community is a lot more active at the time, perhaps those challenges take a lot of your time and maybe is where your interest lies at this point. All of which is fine, just not for me. I do enjoy doing some of the challenges, but there are times I will either be busy with something else or not interested in a particular challenge. So, I would expect me to continue to come and go.

Whatever you decide to do, I thank you for what you've put into the challenges. They've been fun.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited June 2019
    I would be doing these challenges, but it may be a few more months before I can afford a new computer capable of playing Sims again. I sure hope enough people are interested in this challenge so that the thread does not die out. :D Sims 3 has far better architectural features right now, and it seems more like home to me.
    suzses wrote: »
    I prefer having this in the Sims 3 section and never venture into anything Sims 4 related. I do understand that the Sims 4 community is a lot more active at the time, perhaps those challenges take a lot of your time and maybe is where your interest lies at this point. All of which is fine, just not for me. I do enjoy doing some of the challenges, but there are times I will either be busy with something else or not interested in a particular challenge. So, I would expect me to continue to come and go.

Whatever you decide to do, I thank you for what you've put into the challenges. They've been fun.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Ditto what @suzses @ciane and everyone else said. I would really miss this if it went away. :'(

I must say that doing the gift exchange took priority during April and May, but I still got a build posted. And summertime is most likely a busier time of year for most of us.

I started doing the challenges just for fun recently because every body else was in the advanced group and I didn't want to waste anyone's time critiquing only one intermediate entry.

I love the briefs, they are so creative and as @iampes23 mentioned there are hidden clues that you have to read carefully. Not to mention the absolute creative writing. <3

I also want it kept here in Sims 3 as I never visit the Sims 4 forums. I really like the idea @missroxor mentioned, using the same brief for both threads, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I recently tried sims 4 since Origin was giving it away for free. I simply don't care for it, I like the freedom in 3.

I do want to thank everyone involved who makes this such a fun thread. So Thank you, thank you, thank you. <3
    Let's show our interest by kicking out some houses, folks! (I am dying to see what you can do with the $60,000)
    I've already finished mine. I just have the CASting and the play testing.

I'm on version 2, the first one was massive!!!
    edited June 2019
    I am so bored that I built my childhood home in The Sims (1), If that computer can at least burn a CD, then I will post the screen shots here. And I will also do a remake. :D Or if I can get this laptop to burn a cd, then I will put the internet on that computer...

edit: old computer does not have a network card, so no way it can go on the internet, and neither computer can burn a cd. :( so much for sharing...
    Post edited by iampes23 on
    @iampe23 Too bad you can't show us your Sims 1 build - would have loved to see it. Hope you're not without a computer (well, a new one) long.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I have a build for this month almost done. Just play testing it, which is, of course, leading me to want to change a couple things that have nothing to do with how it plays. I'm saving redone color presets in this copy to go put in the original. So far, I haven't found any game play troubles, but I didn't do anything too "fancy" with this, so I wasn't really expecting problems either.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited June 2019
    I finished mine, but I can't log in to get it uploaded.

See pictures here:
    http://cianesims.home.blog/builds/bns/r2g

Edit: I had to click "forgot password" in order to reset my password. That, after running ccleaner and resetting IE to delete personal settings, finally let me upload my lot!

roof_up_original.jpg
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9321983
    Post edited by ciane on
    ciane wrote: »
    I finished mine, but I can't log in to get it uploaded.

See pictures here:
    http://cianesims.home.blog/builds/bns/r2g

A very nice house!! It feels like it would be in a nice, suburban neighborhood. Great job!
    Here's mine. I spent 59,987 all together. There are 4 bedrooms, two and half baths ( I stuck a powder room in on the first floor)

The master bedroom and nursery are on the first floor. There is a shared bath that connects the two rooms. The baby and toddler share one bedroom.

The kitchen, living and dining rooms are wide open spaces to accommodate so many family members and to give the toddler room to roam in the walker.

Upstairs are two more bedrooms, one that the kids share and a private one for the eldest daughter. The landing has an art easel and the laundry room. The shared bath has both a tub and shower and double sinks so the kids can all use it.

Outside is for relaxing and places for the kids to play.

48133143316_f718992b11_c.jpg

more pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157709264025516
    @ciane @Kgaff I really like both your builds. You both were able to get a lot in, and they have a lot of appeal, inside and out.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Kgaff - Great adobe South West feel. I love it. It's perfect for them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top