The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TUTORIAL: How to make a seamless repeating pattern ALSO: Good images for pattern making

Comments

• MacyQueenMacyQueen Posts: 2,321 New Member
    edited July 2010
    can anybody recommend any other good websites for free textures?
    ive exhausted all the ones in this thread, i only really used designs from fatstrawberry

thanks
  • ReeseRayfordReeseRayford Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    How do you apply patterns to the objects and furniture in the game???
  • BlueMurderBlueMurder Posts: 418 Member
    edited July 2010
    Reese you click on the object while you have the artists paint palete with brush tool clicked
  • Gia15Gia15 Posts: 63
    edited July 2010
    Got it fixed.. Still learning with the patterns.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MissJennaKateMissJennaKate Posts: 10,778 New Member
    edited August 2010
    Thank you :)
  • Polly75Polly75 Posts: 814 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi! Thank you so much for this. Has anyone figured out if it's possible to make the patterns recolorable with this tool? Because I don't really think it's worth it, if it doesn't work. :roll:
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Thorna- I'm not sure if there is a better way, but what I have end pattern and then downloading it from my studio into my game.

RepulsiveDesire1- You can recolor the entire pattern using this tutorial, if that's what you mean, but you can'trecolor individual parts like this. I believe it is possible, but pretty complicated and I'm not sure myself how to. This tutorial just covers the basics of seamless patterns.

Hope that helps! :D

To be able to change the colors in game you have to have the various objects that are different colors in the pattern on a different layer. For example, if you want a pattern with a blue background, yellow chicks and green loops, but want people to be able to change the background or the colors of the chicks and the loops each one has to be on a separate layer.

This becomes a bit more difficult, as you mentioned, if you are using a pattern that is already made. A one layer pattern you can change the light/darkness in game but not the individual elements unless you have used a pattern that was created and then saved with the laters intact (and you can open the image in a paint program that handles layers). Then you can save each layer, individually, and load each as a 'sticker', then put them together in CAP so that each part can have a different color applied in game.

If the pattern you choose to import into CAP has only one layer then you can either select and lift various parts of the design to make stickers and then recreate the pattern in CAP with a layer for each color. The other option is to try and use masks and/or channels to create layers that can have a color applied to each layer but that is very detailed and would require a long tutorial to explain how its done. Depending on the pattern I am working with I have had good and bad results doing this, and a great deal of it depends on the pattern you decide to work with. I find patterns with very individual figures that do not over lap, and plaids are the easiest to do this with, while patterns with complex floral patterns or those patterns that overlap or merge into each other sometimes impossible to create layers.
  • CitrusmoonCitrusmoon Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2010
    First of all, thanks for the great guide. I was searching around the main website for a guide and could not find any! I'm glad I found this thread. It's helping me by a ton!

I have a question to as regarding these post:
    thorna wrote:
    hi
    sorry if this has been covered aready but i looked through and dint see the answer. i made a pattern and exported it, and saw it in my upload of my launched but i cant see it in my game and cant see how to get it there, anyone know why?
    Thorna- I'm not sure if there is a better way, but what I have end pattern and then downloading it from my studio into my game.
    So are you saying this is the only way to have your pattern show in my own game, by exporting -> uploading all images to the exchange -> DL my own patters I've uploaded to be able to use in my game?
    Or are there any other ways to get your own patterns into your game?
    Thanks for the help.

=====Edit=====
    Ah, nvm, I found a way to get my patterns into my game without uploading them on the exchange.
    自分のアバター作ってみたにょ。難しいにょ!シムズ楽しすぎにょ!
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit / ASUS Maximus VII / Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4 GHz / Cosair Vengeance 16GB RAM / NVidia GeForce GTX 980 SLi / Samsung SSD 840 PRO HDD
  • mnm313mnm313 Posts: 140
    edited December 2010
    Hey thank you for making this thread.I never knew how to add a pic untill now.THANKS AGAIN! :D:D:D:D
  • Mozza79Mozza79 Posts: 10
    edited December 2010
    Citrusmoon wrote:
    =====Edit=====
    Ah, nvm, I found a way to get my patterns into my game without uploading them on the exchange.

May I ask how you achieved this?
  • monocerotis13monocerotis13 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2011
    When you export a pattern it goes into My documents/Sims 3/ uploads folder. Simply cut and paste them into the downloads folder- then you can install them into your game from the launcher without going through the exchange.
    I've always done it this way, if I want to upload to the exchange I copy and paste into the downloads folder, then they are available to upload if you wish. :D
    'No I'm from Iowa- I only work in outer space' James Tiberius Kirk
  • BasketGirl87BasketGirl87 Posts: 3
    edited January 2011
    Hi guys!

Is there a tool for making patterns for Mac as well? I found the Delphy's pattern packaging tool for Windows only...

Thanks for your help!
  • somekicksomekick Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2011
    iDiru wrote:
    Um I don't know if this site has been mentioned or not for good patterns, but I really like this site:
    http://www.fatstrawberry.com/
    I already made a pattern from a pattern on this site.

Wow, great site! Thanks for the link. :)
  • somekicksomekick Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2011
    thank you for the tutorial. :)
  • DameGiggsyDameGiggsy Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2011
    Cheers mate.
  • SamMakiSamMaki Posts: 8
    edited July 2011
    helpful!
  • Jewelforman123Jewelforman123 Posts: 422
    edited August 2011
    How do i upload my own image? PLEASE HELP! :/
  • Madaline_7Madaline_7 Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    A few other places where you might want to look for some great textures are:

deviantArt
    Just type textures or patterns in the search box.

Free Stock Textures

Pattern Cooler

But honestly, I can usually find whatever I desire on deviantART.
  • wondergirl30wondergirl30 Posts: 11
    edited October 2011
    Ok, I downloaded the create a pattern tool months ago... And it still does not work at all... Does it only work on desktops or can it work on laptops as well? I have a laptop but it just crashes everytime I try to use it. So I have given up trying to use it at all... Unless, someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong with it.
    Any help would be Awesome :D
  • kymber13kymber13 Posts: 274 Member
    edited December 2011
    When you export a pattern it goes into My documents/Sims 3/ uploads folder. Simply cut and paste them into the downloads folder- then you can install them into your game from the launcher without going through the exchange.
    I've always done it this way, if I want to upload to the exchange I copy and paste into the downloads folder, then they are available to upload if you wish. :D

You don't have to cut and paste, just double-click the files in your uploads folder and they will automatically install.
  • 92419779241977 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Dumb question, but is any of this on YouTube? "Visual" examples are a lot more helpful for me at this moment because I'm studying for my RN boards and reading anything that's not "school-related" tends not to stick in my brain at the moment! Thanks!
  • albertwhiskeralbertwhisker Posts: 596 New Member
    edited October 2012
    I am so ashamed of my patterns, they dont look seamless. I will try to follow this and I hope my patterns wont look embarrassing anymore.
  • AndreaBozic77777AndreaBozic77777 Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Can You please write this in german, because i can't read and speak good english :oops:
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited May 2013
  • DerianDerian Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2014
    I for the life of me cannot remember how to add downloaded images to CAP.. I want to use my own pictures but cant remember how to.. Please help?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top