Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your favorite game release day tradition?

Comments

• Options
    plumpie09plumpie09 Posts: 142 Member
    edited May 2010
    I am planning to go get my game on my lunch break, pick up the kids some dinner on the way home from work then install as soon as I get home. The day before I'm actually clearing out all of my cc and reinstalling the base game and WA complete with patches (fortunately, I haven't had major probs). Hopefully, that will help keep the lag to a minimum.
  • Options
    Anangel4onlyoneAnangel4onlyone Posts: 89 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I will probably make something quick and easy that I can reheat for dinner on Release day the day before (still gotta feed the kid ya know) Then I'll beg my mom to go to Wal-Mart after we drop said kid off at school. I'll look there first for it (sometimes they do sometimes they don't have it) If they have it I'll buy my mom a coffee for taking me there so early in the AM go home install and get some snacks to eat while I wait. Then get right down to playing. If it's not at Wal-mart, I'll see if mom wants to wait till GameStop opens at 10. If she does I'll buy her breakfast and we'll sit in the car and talk and wait. Then I'll repeat above steps. I will generally have from 10:15 to 4:30 to play wile the child is at school. At 8:00pm I'll put lil one to bed and wait impatiently for him to fall asleep (gotta watch Glee that night though but child is normally still awake then so no prob) after child is asleep I'll go back into the room and play some more. (yes my comp is in my child's bedroom, but since it's also my bedroom it works. We live in a 2 bedroom)
  • Options
    NicolenessNicoleness Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2010
    I always get up, and go to gamestop. I used to always sit down and read the package while eating at Quiznos right next to gamestop, but I moved recently. Oddly enough, there is a Firehouse Subs right next to the gamstop here, so i'll eat there. I always unwrap and open it in the car, and have the CD in my computer buzzing away before the front door is even closed. XD I've gone with this tradition since the release of Open for Business.
  • Options
    SunshineandrozesSunshineandrozes Posts: 799 Member
    edited May 2010
    I usually pre-order the game and guide. So I kill time while waiting for the UPS guy, by defraging and updating my computer. I like to start out fresh with each new SP or EP.

Normally, I try to have that day off of work. Gotta love having a ton of vacation days available!

I also make sure I run any errands that are needed, clean the house and make and store dinner early.

My hubby and daughter are use to the routine, so they know not to bother me on a release day...lol. :)

• Options
    NicolenessNicoleness Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2010
    Seems like a lot of people panic about the stores running out. Thought I was the only one...
    The fourms are going to be so quiet on June 1st. :P
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited May 2010
    well, for me I've got 2hrs to play Ambitions before i go into heart surgery, so I'm going to get the game at 8:30am at eb games on the 3rd, then walk home, which I'm only 2 streets away from Eb games, then install it, play for 2 hrs, then panic, cos i'm fashionably late for my surgery, which it is at 12pm, but I'm supposed to be at the hospital at 9am, but I'll be busy playing Ambitions, so I'll get to my surgery, and make a grand entrance''I'm here!''lol, then 1 week after the surgery, if I'm up to it, start playing Ambitions little by little, so it's my recovery thingy.

:):):) Cheers! MidnightPearl! :):):)
  • Options
    ameliuh321ameliuh321 Posts: 3,767 New Member
    edited May 2010
    The morning release I tell my mother that when I get back from school it better be in the car with her. Tuesday is all free except guitar (at 8:30!) so pretty much all that day will be sent with me first going through CAS, build mode, jobs and animations. It's like a ritual. I'll grab some food and sit by the toilet...;)
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited May 2010
    Typically I don't go to sleep easily the night before, then get up, check the time, casually make and drink coffee, check the time, put clothes on, make the bed, feed the cats, check the time, futz around and trying not to seem anxious, check the time. Then at 10 AM sharp, run out the door, jump in the car and race to Gamestop where I have the game preordered (takes about 10 minutes), run home and call my sister who has the game earlier cause she's on the east coast while I'm on the west coast. Then we put phones on speaker and proceed to check out the new stuff. :mrgreen:

And they call ppl who play sims "casual gamers." :lol::lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited May 2010
    The day before, I clean, do laundry, and run out to the grocery store for any basics we may need. I even wipe down my pc monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Then that night, after I'm done playing, I delete my saved games. One thing I've learned about my pc is:
    saved games + new expansion pack = disaster glitch fest
    (I'll be starting a new game in Twin Brook, anyways). After that I run my virus and spyware scanner, windows update, disk cleanup, and disk defragmenter.

Next morning I start up the pc, end any unnecessary background tasks, and then get on the phone with Best Buy to make sure they got it in (It's happened to me before!!! No expansion pack on release day! So I always call first). Jam out to my favorite CD while driving up (Lady Gaga is designated for this release date) and then pick up my game and game guide. I go and get food (Chinese take-out I think this time), run any errands I may have not done the day before, and then try so hard not to speed home.

Get a shower, put on comfy clothes, sit down, install game, and then here's my weirdest of all. If I have the game guide in my possession, I will read the first half of it (like the what's new section and basics) before I even sit down to play the game and eat my food. I gotta know what's going on before I dig into it! I don't read the entire thing because I want to keep some mysteries for me to find out for myself and won't read the rest until I want to know something more in detail.

This has been a heavily refined process of creating my game release day ritual. I've been doing this since the Sims 1 first expansion pack, Livin' Large, lol.

Muahahaha you guys are getting me so psyched! I can't wait already!

To The Simmer Above Me - Casual Gamers....lol. Anything but!
  • Options
    xErasedCitizenxxErasedCitizenx Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2010
    This year is gonna be brilliant because I'll have just finished all the work for my degree a week beforehand and I have the release date (4th in UK) off from anything!!

A couple days before I'll restore my laptop to factory settings so it will run as nice and smoothly as possible, and get the base game and world adventures installed... then I'm off to another city for a few days, I get back the night before release.

I'll get up early, make sure everything's clean and nice for when I get back, make sure I have some nice food and drink in, go to the shops, buy it, come home, settle down and then play for the rest of the day and night!
  • Options
    _It__It_ Posts: 198 Member
    edited May 2010
    I don't really have any proper traditions, but I have learned NOT to leave it up to other people to go out and buy the game, as they have came back with the wrong game two times before!! (Even though I told them exactly which one I wanted over and over and over and then I eat them when they get it wrong. So to save any more cowplant moments I may have on other people, I just go and buy it myself nowadays.
  • Options
    guttermanekguttermanek Posts: 21 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Well, I don't have a tradition, but when the first Sims 3 came out I called in sick from work. Played it non-stop all day (week) long. :D
  • Options
    NiLLANiLLA Posts: 514 Member
    edited May 2010
    well ill make something the night before for the boyfriend, then ill pick up my game in the mornin, probably scream at a few drivers. then ill get home with a bunch of fruit rollups, while its installing ill stick all the fruitroll ups together by the ends & put 1 of the ends in my mouth so i can constantly be alert on the game at 4 in the morning.
    Been playing The Sims since 2001. Mother to a beautiful girl.
    scdwkk.png
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited May 2010
    Well since I get all my games at the same store, my tradition is that I go the Candy shop next door and get about 5lbs of Candy to eat while I play. Then I go get a a pack of Sodas. After that I get my work and cleaning out of the way, and last read the booklet that comes with the game while it installs. Same thing every time.
  • Options
    KarennKarenn Posts: 4,326 Member
    edited May 2010
    Wake up a tad earlier then usual. Check my email the first thing to see if I've gotten an shipment notice and then I just track my tracking number every hour waiting for it to arrive at my doorstep. :lol:
  • Options
    BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I won't be able to get it on release day because my 'great' parents choose to make us all go to Bosnia on May 30th.
  • Options
    EmmaSmileEmmaSmile Posts: 1,843 Member
    edited May 2010
    Heh, I went to Game to get mine when The Sims 3 was released and the staff where walking around with plumbob hats, they looked so awesome!
    deva4j.jpg
  • Options
    tarylljdjtarylljdj Posts: 774 Member
    edited May 2010
    I get up in the morning, go to the mall and get the game and then stay in my room playing the game. Hopefully that week we do not have to clean out the garage. :?
  • Options
    chelsey_m23chelsey_m23 Posts: 86 New Member
    edited May 2010
    My tradition is I do fresh install of all the games the night before then i wake up early on release day ride the bus out to the nearest walmart then i grab a diet coke and play.....play....play!!!!
  • Options
    Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Usually I spend my day sitting in the classroom not being able to concentrate... just thinking "ZOMG ALMOST TIME TO GET THE NEW EP!" Thankfully I don't have any school so I'll probably spring out of bed in the morning like from a toaster... :lol: Waiting anxiously for Gamestop to open...
  • Options
    Mikki101Mikki101 Posts: 302 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I scream at the top of my lungs when I buy it and then dissapear into my room for a couple of days, only going out to go to the bathroom and to eat.
  • Options
    JAYSIMS2004JAYSIMS2004 Posts: 659 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Well since this is my first time pre-ordering(I usually wait until it comes out and go get it from my local wal-mart).That Saturday or Sunday I will stock up on my snacks. The night before I will be tossing and turning and dreaming of what I will do first when I get it in my hands. And on release day I will be anxiously awaiting the UPS truck. It takes them forever and a day to come where I live. Once I get it I will rip it open and start playing.
  • Options
    OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I usually just get up go to wherever I pre-ordered install on my laptop on my drive home so that way when I get home it's either all the way installed or halfway. It really depends on where I pre-ordered it. And since TS3 has come out by chance except this time I have had those Tuesdays off.
  • Options
    thegrumpthegrump Posts: 505 New Member
    edited May 2010
    It'll be probably be sold out by the time I get to the nearest Best Buy... (I can only get it at 4 - 5 PM)
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited May 2010
    I either wait for the package if i ordered it, rip open the package and run to the computer to prepare to install and mind you my leg is bouncing the whole time during installation & crossing my fingers that i have a problem free installation

or run down to the closest target & smile the whole time at the register. i get in the car and rip it open and then do above once i get home.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free