Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will infants break CAS cc?

graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
edited March 2023 in CAS Custom Content
Wondering once infants is here what will happen to CAS cc?

I don’t have any CAS cc for children and under, only teen and above mostly clothes, haircuts and facial hair

I doubt all of cc creators will update their CAS cc so I’m worried

Cuz I’m not updating if they break CAS cc..
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    @graventhe this is a major update that is going to break a large majority of mods and cc. Since they're adding a whole new lifestage it's pretty likely some, if not all, of your cas cc will break. Just remember to copy your entire Sims 4 folder to your computer's desktop or other drive before you update. If you don't have enough disk space just copy your mods, saves & tray folders; also your custom music folder if you put custom music in.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If you have anything modding CAS it will break. If you have CAS content, some of it may break, some may not, but instead of the slavish task of going through your CAS content one item at a time to find out what works, it may just be simpler to delete all your CAS and download new, better CAS in a few days - it's being made all the time. Infants aren't even going to have realistic textures at first.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Anything is possible, but I think it's unlikely that CAS items will break.

I'm removing my entire mods folder before the update, but if there are no reports of breakages, CAS items are the first ones I'll put back in my game.

It's much more likely build and buy cc objects will break. Doors especially, so definitely remove them until fixes are available.

If your CAS CC does break there should be batch fixes available soon from Sims 4 Studio.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    We don't know for sure exactly what will break, but I wouldn't be surprised if large amounts of CAS cc needs updating. Usually within a week or two, Sims 4 Studio updates with a batch fixer that will do the necessary updates to get CC (and probably also a lot of B/B) working. This will let you keep a lot of CC usable if the modder no longer updates their stuff.
  • Options
    HavenRose wrote: »
    We don't know for sure exactly what will break, but I wouldn't be surprised if large amounts of CAS cc needs updating. Usually within a week or two, Sims 4 Studio updates with a batch fixer that will do the necessary updates to get CC (and probably also a lot of B/B) working. This will let you keep a lot of CC usable if the modder no longer updates their stuff.

I have sims 4 studio I’m def relying on it because most CAS cc I have are from 2015-2018 and their creators aren’t active anymore so I wonder how to do batch fixer for all CAS cc or sims 4 studio do it automatically after updating it?
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    I have sims 4 studio I’m def relying on it because most CAS cc I have are from 2015-2018 and their creators aren’t active anymore so I wonder how to do batch fixer for all CAS cc or sims 4 studio do it automatically after updating it?

It's an option on the front screen that you have to run. In the top toolbar, click "Content Management," then "Batch Fixes." There's lists of all the different batch fixes available now. If you're using older stuff, I'd try running a few options just to try it out before the big update. It will automatically make a back up of any files that it fixes and tell you exactly how many needed fixing.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Definitely pull your mods folder out before updating, installing the new pack and playing your game. Don't just copy it then play your game while hoping for the best outcome. This is a huge base game update and GT is introducing some features we have never experienced before. We have no idea what is going to be affected and playing with broken mods, CAS CC, and B/B CC can corrupt your game saves under certain conditions.

If you don't use mods or CC, you don't need to worry about what will happen to your game except for whatever new glitches and bugs that may come along for the ride. Since we won't see GT being played with other packs, we don't know if there will be compatibility issues to deal with. We just don't know what to expect until we play it. Bienchen83 posted a list of her mods she believes will be broken once the game is updated. Here is the link if you would like to read it. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/953198/mods-by-bienchen83-sims4me-at-deichschaf-sims-alphabetical-list#latest. She isn't sure if there will be more broken ones. But she is quite certain the ones on her list will need to be updated.

Just play it safe and make a copy of your entire Sims4 folder. Especially if you created a new save or Sims for GT. It takes only a few minutes to do this, and it could save you from losing corrupted saves and starting over from scratch. Which is a real bummer. I have been rebuilding my entire game since my other laptop died and I lost everything. I'd hate to see anyone go through that when we have been looking forward to this update and EP for years.
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    I’m hopeful that not too much breaks, CAS-wise. After all, a good amount of pre-toddler CAS cc seems to still work.
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    so all the wrench mods will break and the ui extender and mcc
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    They are implementing some kind of change to the way hair colours work, but hopefully it won’t affect cc hairs too much.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Possibly a dumb question, but I honestly don't know: Why would an update that adds a new life stage break CAS cc for other life stages? I didn't have any cc at the time of the toddler update in early 2017, did that one break everything, too?

For past updates, when we got more hair colours, skin tones and makeup sliders, the logical consequence for me was that those additional options wouldn't apply to already existing cc in my game. But other than that, everything was fine. I've also created some cc items myself (mostly clothing recolours), and now I'm worried how those might be affected because I doubt that I have the modding expertise to fix any problems that might occur.
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    Hmm. Hopefully CAS content will be okay, but I’m definitely going to back up my entire Sims 4 folder anyway. Sims 4 Studio batch fixes sound useful. I’m probably not going to update my game until I see what people say about it, what’s broken and so on. I do have some stuff that came out before the toddlers update which still works, but we just won’t know what’ll happen until the update.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

It's an option on the front screen that you have to run. In the top toolbar, click "Content Management," then "Batch Fixes." There's lists of all the different batch fixes available now. If you're using older stuff, I'd try running a few options just to try it out before the big update. It will automatically make a back up of any files that it fixes and tell you exactly how many needed fixing.

This may a dumb question especially I have never tried batch fixes in sims 4 studio (I only edited some cc setting like enabled/disable for random)

but how to know what options I need to run for batch fixed to make cc compatible with the infants patch?

Like will there be tick for infants stage but greyed out when running batch fixed so now it’s updated?

Like what settings to use for batch fixing in sims studio to make it compatible cuz we don’t need to mess it up more..
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member

This may a dumb question especially I have never tried batch fixes in sims 4 studio (I only edited some cc setting like enabled/disable for random)

but how to know what options I need to run for batch fixed to make cc compatible with the infants patch?

Like will there be tick for infants stage but greyed out when running batch fixed so now it’s updated?

Like what settings to use for batch fixing in sims studio to make it compatible cuz we don’t need to mess it up more..

Sims 4 Studio will have to be updated too. After that, I assume, it will have new batch fixes for infants patch — for CAS and B/B, if needed. You won't mess anything up, usually if there's nothing to fix, it just checks you CC and says so.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I have some Custom Shelves (for displaying Collections!), and that's all my custom content at the moment. I'm gonna remove them for the update but I seriously doubt that shelves will be broken. Still, I have removed a couple of bigger mods.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    IObelleIObelle Posts: 136 Member
    The only cas cc that should need updating are default and custom skin and eye colors/textures. Since I use default skin textures I'm hoping babies, infants and toddlers share the same textures, as that would make it easily fixable.
    There Are No Plantsims In The Sims 4
  • Options
    AriesValentineAriesValentine Posts: 29 Member
    Hopefully it wouldn't break cc, mods, definitely.
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    Good question. I've been trying to reduce the quantity of my mods and cc lately so I have to do less updating of them. I feel like this update will impact more things that we realize. There was some update in the past (maybe around Seasons?) but it did something to an element of the game that no one anticipated and issues were caused by a mod no one suspected. It was super random. I think that'll happen again.
  • Options
    RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    I’m away from my computer at the moment, but any update if CAS CC still works?
  • Options
    sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    Greyling wrote: »
    They are implementing some kind of change to the way hair colours work, but hopefully it won’t affect cc hairs too much.

what change ? can you elaborate ?
    IObelle wrote: »
    The only cas cc that should need updating are default and custom skin and eye colors/textures. Since I use default skin textures I'm hoping babies, infants and toddlers share the same textures, as that would make it easily fixable.

i was thinking the same thing... i'm afraid it's a totally different template since they're smaller and it becomes a nightmare to update eyes and skin default replacements... hopefully, someone update a template soon so we can work on updating those
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1007107/broken-updated-mods-cc-march-2023-infants-patch#latest

Everything we know for sure is here in the link above. I have seen posts on Twitter saying non-default CC like hair and clothes are fine, but your experience may not be the same. I haven't tested my own yet as I have not updated.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Eyes are the worst I'm seeing all my cc is showing up as alien eyes or are very bright on infants hopefully I can find updated eyes from the cc I'm using or I'm going to have to replace all my Sims eye color to new updated cc to fix this issue but besides this not having issues with anything else.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    After some testing, it turns out that it's not quite the mod apocalypse I was fearing. The sim below is basically "Lady CC": her eye colour and hair and many of her clothes are cc, I used a height mod to make her slightly taller than most sims, and none of it is causing any problems.

matriarchinbeneziai6ef3.jpg

I should mention, though, that her eyes are just a darker shade of blue that I made, not a default eye colour replacement. I don't use replacement mods, so I can't say anything about those.

liaraalskleinkindkqdt5.jpg

I also played around with toddlers and infants in CAS, my cc for toddlers is still there and working fine. For infants I don't have anything yet, obviously, but no issues either. So I think regular cc that doesn't alter already existing things shouldn't be affected by the update.
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2023
    sireneiles wrote: »
    Greyling wrote: »

what change ? can you elaborate ?

I don’t know, I’m afraid. It’s just that they mentioned on the live stream when showing the head scarf and changing the hair colour that they had “used their new tech” for this - time stamp around 48:08 - so it sounded as if something was going to change, maybe in terms of how colour choice works? But I haven’t seen anyone mention anything after the patch, so maybe nothing changed anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Post edited by Greyling on