Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Childhood phases general question

Both my main family's children are going through a Mean phase at the moment. I know how to force the phase away with MCCC, but assuming I don't want to cheat (just yet), what is the method to help kids get over the phase: Make them do what they want or make them do the opposite?

In my example, will the phase pass more quickly if I instruct my sims to be mean?

(I haven't changed households since the phase started 4 sim days ago (2 days for the second kid), so I assume the phase can still get rid of normally.)

Comments

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited December 2022
    Pretty certain that the phases are random and last for a period of time before just going away on their own. As far as I’m aware you can’t beat/reduce them like negative sentiments and you just have to see them out or use the trait cheat to remove them.

My sims are permanently teens. They get these from time to time but they have minimum impact on gameplay and disappear fairly quickly.

The mean trait might result in them getting negative sentiments to each other but this can be handled by just apologising and having a lot of nice interactions. The sim with the mean trait will get happy buff from being mean to other sims while the phase is active.

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    Pretty certain that the phases are random and last for a period of time before just going away on their own. As far as I’m aware you can’t beat/reduce them like negative sentiments and you just have to see them out or use the trait cheat to remove them.

I was afraid that would be the case.

By now both siblings have outgrown their phase. I was busy with the challenge I'm playing with the older one, so I didn't pay attention when exactly they got it over. Sometime after them getting seperate rooms anyway, so in hindsight I can say the phase was a result of them getting on each other's nerves.
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 168 Member
    edited December 2022
    @EnkiSchmidt I am not 100% sure, but I think if the parents talk to the kid/teenager about the phase a few times, then it should go away quicker. Something under parenting like "Ask about childhood phase". Then the game will tell you in a notification what you can do as a parent to help the child to overcome the phase.

It's worth a try. :)
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt I am not 100% sure, but I think if the parents talk to the kid/teenager about the phase a few times, then it should go away quicker. Something under parenting like "Ask about childhood phase". Then the game will tell you in a notification what you can do as a parent to help the child to overcome the phase.

I wish real kids came with notifications like that :)

gen3-banner.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member

In case of the mean phase, the notification said "Don't be a buzzkill, just let me be." But I read this as the ten year old saying it to her dad, not the game to me, so I was unsure what the correct solution was.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 534 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt that would be hilarious if it was the game talking to you.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited December 2022
    Off the top of my head, I'm thinking there may be a couple of things you can try. I know for some issues, having a parent 'discuss mood' will help. Sometimes, writing in a private journal to express themselves, also can help, depending on the situation. (I do wish there was the option to "scream into pillow".) At any rate, either of these certainly can't hurt.

If you try them and they work, please let us know.

ETA: drat it all @mrs_starkey you must type faster than me. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 168 Member
    Hehe, @GalacticGal, you made me laugh. Thank you. :)