Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you redecorate ?

When your sim's spouse/significant other moves into their house, how much, if at all, do you redecorate to mix both of their stuff/likes?

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited November 2022
    Idk depends

like tbh most of the time my interiors are not so personal that it would be hard to imagine both sims enjoying the same aesthetic

(I mean if you can't even agree on colors what do you agree on)

and as for interior style it often mirrors house itself more than particular sim

if I lack space for hobbies,career or kids I often move sims out to different house with more space since I don't feel like changing layout or making house extensions

but i mean if say the sim lives with extended family and still has their teen room yeah I do change it to like proper bedroom rather than teenage exhibition
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    Not much. If they work from home they get an office, and also their iconic hobby objects plus some personal clutter items scattered around the house. But the furniture, wallpapers etc. remain unchanged.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Yes. I try to incorporate a mix of both sims in the house. Things they like and things that fit their personalities or what I imagine their personalities to be.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    I don’t redecorate much. I do play rotationally so if I am moving in a sim I have played then I will bring along pictures, and sometimes art work, and collections. I will buy new work objects for them ( or put them in the inventory if they fit ), or buy things that might be important (like if a female sim had a vanity or some other special objects or clutter ).

If I haven’t played them then it doesn’t matter.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,842 Member
    It depends on the sim, usually when moving I'll pick and choose what i am keeping if they started out as roomies then I choose what to get rid of to make room for kids. In the event that they would move after that I would throw out almost everything keeping what would have "sentimental value" and start fresh. I say it like that because I love a lot of the same things for different families.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,453 Member
    For me it isn't dependent on someone moving into the house. Just yesterday I noticed some of the roof lines were a bit 'off' on my Rock Star's house, so I took a moment to fix these, then when I was inspecting the entire house, I discovered I had green shutters and started replacing them for the blue/gray shutters, instead. Once I started this I had to do both stories of the house to make it consistent. Then I decided I was no longer enamored of the gray stones I used on the front of the house and exchanged it for the lighter tone rock near the front door. I also made certain to do so for the space on the roof that had the gray stones, too.

I just get into these moods sometimes. I'm also seriously considering taking my Rock Star into cas.fulleditmode and changing out his wardrobe.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I must admit I rarely redecorate. Perhaps if they bring heirloom, or personal pictures, but regular furniture normally not. It's a bit strange though as I keep not only track on everyone's fav color, but also their fav material and setting. Originally I planned redecorating a lot... Now that most lots are taken, redecorating could become a substitute for building new :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,806 Member
    For the one family I play the home is decorated with furnishings and accessories I like.

All my other lots are downloaded so I'll search for a lot using a particular pack so I can take advantage of things not used in my main household. That way I get to enjoy it when my sim visits.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited December 2022
    I redecorate and improve my sims house regularly, just generally maintaining it all the time plus the occasional big refresh.

If I moved a sim in, how much I would change would depend on the sim moving in and how attached to them I am. If I moved my previous main sims in with my current main sims id redo the whole house.

But if just a random sim they meet then I’d probably just do their room and change a couple of things around the house for them.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,060 Member
    When my sim self married his second wife in Winter 1989, there wasn't much to change in his house as prior to him returning home with his new wife, his second youngest daughter and her partner had lived there for the year and re-decorated the house to match their style.

Now my sim self and his second wife have been married two years already they still live in the style my sim self's second youngest daughter and her partner had created. All my sim self's second wife did was change the sofa suite.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    It depends on the situation. If a Sim has been living in a shack, unable to afford stylish things, and they marry someone with a nicer house, they're going to live in the nice house and not redecorate. If their decorating is about the same, my Sim will bring things from their household and I'll merge their styles.

I had spent a lot of time on my spellcaster's bedroom at her family home, and it was a masterpiece. But I also built her husband-to-be's home, so I kind of kept that in mind. And when she eventually moved in, I redecorated to suit her style. He's an academic, impressed by her more whimsical (but no less powerful) nature. He didn't mind at all if she turned boring rooms into interesting ones!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I do when I move a couple or family and need to make the house suit their style. I also redecorate as the family grows and adds children. The Goths got a new third floor.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    I don’t typically, but it depends.
    I spend a considerable amount of time planning out who or what will be living in a specific structure before I actually move in a household. I build structures with characters, activities and stories in mind, and rooms are predominantly decorated based on this background information.

If my sim finds a mate with a specific hobby or job that requires an equally specific gameplay object I will either place that object in the build, or - if we run out of space due to the object being too large- I’d transfer the complete household to another (carefully planned out) structure.

When I started off with The Sims I used to add rooms, but I no longer find pleasure in doing this. I’d rather build an entirely new structure because I’m an oddball. 😅

Some of my builds now have “spare rooms” such as attics and / or basements, which are fully cluttered, unutilized, cobwebbed areas. Occasionally I will convert one of these areas into a small living space or bedroom for “the accidental kid” or fugitive who’s in “hiding” IF that’s what the story demands.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,792 Member
    All the time. The amount of time I'm going to be spending with that household is the deciding factor how detailed I'm going to get. If it's a family I started out only occasionally checking in on and later I start spending more time with them I will redecorate again and get even more detailed with the changes.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I don't bother. Not worth the trouble & sims don't really care anyway.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Only if they have some hobbies or traits & habits that "need" something special.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 954 Member
    I only decorate as much as needed for the new sim to live in the house.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    The house must fit the sim. I wouldn't put my musician sim in a Victorian house any more than I would put a celebrity in Evergreen Harbor. I realize that this would make for a possibly funny situation, but I don't play that way. I love redecorating, and unlike the CAPTAIN, I love devising new ways to increase the living space in a house...as long as it's not a 20x15 or 20x20. In that case, I would go either up or down with a floor.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    I tend to obsess about decorating, so I always make sure that the house evolves with the family. So a new spouse would bring in some new things, the family pictures on the walls change over time, stuff like toys on the floor when the kids are small will disappear and be replaced by homework, hobbies, or clothing clutter when they get older.
    generation5julia.png
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 369 Member
    It depends who they marry. If it's the next heir in my legacy play or the next King or Queen in my royal save then I redecorate the bedroom if need to and a couple other rooms for them. Otherwise if they don't have the money to buy a new house or even a plot of land they will move in. Sell all personal belongings they don't want to keep. And once they have the money for empty plot of land or a house they will buy and decorate that one to fit them both and growing family as it grows
  • AlienTusksAlienTusks Posts: 194 Member
    I don't redecorate based on individual sims as far as furniture type, color. Of course, If the sim is a bookwork, I will make sure to have a bookshelf and nice place to sit nearby, or musician etc. I do like to change the general appearance of my house/rooms every now and then. It keeps things fresh and a bit more immersive perhaps. Like I will change the flooring type and color or wallpaper etc. One thing I learned was not to focus so much on the color of the furniture or item at the time you buy it. Instead, once you have a room put together go to build mode and just press X on console (not sure about PC) and your shortcut to all the colors possible for that item, so you can make things match in various ways. It's much easier and better to do it this way then to worry about color when you're buying the item. But no, I do not redecorate based on a sims like or dislikes in general.
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 907 Member
    This has never crossed my mind. I always leave my houses as in. You've definitely given me something to think about next time I move someone in!
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    it depends on their financial situation since i try to keep that semi-realistic. in my current save my sim is about to marry becca clarke, who is unemployed and just graduated college, so she's bringing a laptop, bicycle, backpack, bathrobe, and skincare clutter.
  • Fragaria_ananasaFragaria_ananasa Posts: 27 Member
    For me, it also depend on the situation. I play without money cheats, so if they have the money, I might do it. But if they don't, well, then my sims just can't afford it.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    My households generally don't change a lot. On the rare occasion that I pretend to be a family player and add a new child to a family, that child will need a room sooner or later, so some renovating, redecorating and/or expanding is in order. If a child grows up and leaves the household, I might turn their room into something else. But other than that, my sims usually stay in the houses I put them in originally, which are built to reflect their hobbies and preferences from the beginning, with some new objects being added over time.