Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A question for those who own all or most of the packs (Expansion, and Game packs)

Whenever I start a new sim, I end up getting a little overwhelmed by all the different directions my sim could end up going. There are many different careers, including education, to choose from. There are many many different skills, and all the different things a sim can do. Usually, I will end up creating a new sim, putting them into the world, and then that's it.

What are some things you do when you start off a new sim?

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    My main save is a huge rotational save so most sims are born there and throughout their childhood I think which direction they'll go. Last time I started a new save I actually used the story function and it did help me decide what type the sim was going to be. Overall I don't want to make too specific plans in CAS but let the live mode shape the sim. I only give them one outfit per category at start for example, so I can add later. Same with likes/dislikes.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited September 2022
    I have a huge main rotational save too. When I make a new sim, family or household, for that save, it is usually when I get a new expansion with new careers, etc. and will have them explore that. I also have a scenario rotational save which is newer and a bit smaller at this point. Most of the sims ( family or household ) I play in that save are made for a new scenario, and depending on what type of person they are Supposed to be I choose certain jobs/careers. Many times I have explored careers in that save that I haven’t explored in my main rotational save. I too have used the story function, only a few times though. In fact I believe I used it for one of my scenario sims once. I like rotational play because it is less boring, I change households when I want to play something different, and my sims know many other sims in their save that are in my rotation.

Playing the simple living lot trait if you have cottage living makes the game a little bit more challenging too, especially in the beginning. So do some of the other lot traits.

I wish the dev’s would bring out a simple clothing lot trait, so my sims would have to buy a piece of clothing, hat, shoes, jewelry etc. to open it up in CAS.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    If it's a sim for a brand new game I have very little in mind when I start. Sometimes I will know what career they'll be in, or maybe they'll be part of a sub-culture. Most of the time I just start trying on outfits and applying makeup and let the character emerge, making changes as I go.

Right now I'm only making new sims to fill specific roles in one of my two rotational saves. I still don't have a vision of their final look or personality, but half of them will have a career path and lifestyle pretty well set in my head when I start. I usually give them two outfits in every category except formal and party. My sims just don't find themselves in those situations very often. Formal almost never, and party on rare occasions. It's not that they don't go out, they go out a lot. The night's out usually aren't prearranged events, just someone calls up the group and says 'let's hang out at X', so party wear doesn't figure in. I keep meaning to make it a thing and then I just roll with whatever they show up in.

I don't give them likes or dislikes, with the exception of disliking mischief. I don't give that to everybody, but I do give it to most of them. It's my way of trying to rein in the use of mischief. Like a few things it's so completely overdone to the point of being irritating instead of funny.
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I haven't been playing as long as many people here, but the first thing I felt I needed to do was to get the town to look how I wanted. That's probably because I like creating things in games and it also increases my own enjoyment knowing I've put my own stamp on everything. As for my sims if they're not one of the premades or Maxis gallery sims I'll create their main outfit and then do the others as I play, but what sims I use matter less to me than the world itself.

I don't really have any specific career goals unless its for one of the premades, for example I want Jonny Zest to remain as an entertainer but I don't want Nancy as a crimelord when her husband is a detective so usually I make her a politician or put her in the business career. Generally for my own sims I prefer the easy money jobs such as writing or painting but the downside of that is that staying at home causes their social need to drop so I often find the military career a good fit and that was also true for me in Sims 3. When I bought Get Famous on sale I found I really loved the media career and also the acting (haven't had a bug with that yet except one odd costume change).
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    This is one of the reasons why I love doing Random Legacy Challenge style games. I've made my own tables to include some extra things (hobbies, different and more specific goals, occult sims, for instance) and don't hold myself to the hard rules of the challenge (it's a personal game and I won't hold myself to complete an objective I don't enjoy or to stay stuck on something for the sim's lifetime if I'm getting bored with it). Then, I try to find how the random rolls fit together and add things based on that.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited September 2022
    When I create a new Sim, I usually use a random sim generator or a spin wheel picker to assign traits, aspirations, jobs, hobbies, etc. There are a lot of useful pickers on this site:

https://goodlilmousey.wordpress.com/helpful-links/

I particularly like the 'Roulette' one for injecting a bit of random chaos >:)
  • IlikebuildingIlikebuilding Posts: 41 Member
    Why do you create a new sim for new expansions? Surely the game is about generations?
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Why do you create a new sim for new expansions? Surely the game is about generations?

This game can be whatever you want it to be :) Generational, one and done, challenges, scenarios, just building, just CAS. The beauty of a sandbox game is that people are free to play however they choose. There's no right or wrong way to play.
  • IlikebuildingIlikebuilding Posts: 41 Member
    It's not a sandbox game. Many build options for example have to be unlocked, as do skills. They have to be gained. People can play however they like to of course, but I still wonder why some ignore the generational aspect of the game? It's a main part. Sims age and die.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited September 2022
    I don't often start brand new sim i just choose premade to play in which its easier to choose direction cause you're like " well this would be bob pancakes thing to do"

only issue is when you get new premades that you don't know much of and you don't know yet what you want to make of their lives :sweat_smile:

or when you scheme for things you could do with packs you do not have currently

like the way I keep bottling all the teenage occult drama for when i get HSY but i mean do I really need HSY to play it not really to be honest just think it be fun to explore that pack like so
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I used to start a new game with a new sim and have a plan for a career and kind of go from there. I would get bored once they reached the top of their career or whatever goals I might have given them. Then I would go back to sims 3 for a while. After a while I had a bunch of sims saved in my library so I started playing rotationally and adding them all to one game. Now I have tons of my own sims and also play all the premades with homes. I’ve added versions of my sims 3 sims and a lot of premades from sims 3, mainly occults. I have created relationships between many sims. It’s kept me from getting bored most of the time but honestly if it was easier to play rotationally in sims 3 and not have save issues, I would be playing sims 3.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I'm trying to remember if I have done this, but I don't think I've ever made and played a Sim without any direction in mind BEFORE I make them. There's always some kind of gameplay reason when I make a Sim whether it's for a challenge, a scenario, a contest, to try out new pack features or just general gameplay. I used the 'Create a Sim Stories' a couple times with the quiz thing, which was fun, but it was mostly just because it was new and I was curious what kind of Sim I'd get.

I don't believe for a second the game is intended for a generational gameplay only. A lot of Simmers love to play that way, but it's not the only way to play the game. I rarely play with generations, in fact once my Sims get a partner and perhaps have a child, I get bored with them and start thinking of other ideas I'd like to try which usually results in starting a new save with a new Sim. My personal challenge has curbed that tendency a bit, but I still have other saves I play along with it when I have time.

My favorite way to play is with a single Sim starting out Rags to Riches style with a specific goal or set of goals in mind for them. I've said it many times before, but there is just something so satisfying to me helping them gradually succeed in their little pixel life. I like to keep this Sim single for as long as possible since it's so much easier for me that way. I get overwhelmed trying to play with too many Sims in a household since I'm a micromanager.

I've tried the full autonomy way to play when having more than one Sim in a household, but it's just too frustrating for me. The Sims left to their own devices do such silly, random, repetitive things that mean nothing most of the time. I wonder, why have them at all if they're just 'there' in the background doing their own thing? I guess I just care about my Sims too much and want any I'm playing to have a goal and work towards it. I just can't let them go wild and do whatever. I'll admit sometimes they do surprising things, but not often. I've tried mods to nuke those repetitive actions, but it never lasts. They just get enamored with another object and it starts all over again.

There is SO many different ways to play this game, it satisfies my creative side like no other game. I have all the packs except one EP and a few kits. It makes me happy I have so many options on what to do with my Sims or builds. The possibilities are endless and no, you don't always have to have an imagination to make things happen, but it does help to have an open mind and not get stuck believing you are required to do this or that. Play in whatever way makes YOU happy! <3

One last thing, about my challenge. I started it specifically to do aspirations I've never tried before and have a Sim live in every world doing them, plus build a new house for them every month since I love to build. I didn't intend to write a story as the year progressed except for their background story and a short summary of their progress with a daily post pic. However, gradually I did start to write a story. Here's where the imagination comes into play. Every month, I have to come up with a reason why they are moving using the next month's aspiration(s) to explain it. I don't have a clear vision written out at the beginning of the year. Playing that way is challenging and fun, especially if it works out these reasons somehow all work together and reveal a final outcome at the end of the year! At least for me since clearly I love to write.

Anyway, to sum it all up, I don't just make a Sim and plop them in a world without a vision in mind for them, there is always a reason, but not always a story. My goal in playing Sims is not generational, not rotational, it's playing one Sim and exploring everything the game has to offer, it's building houses/venues, it's telling stories, it's playing challenges, it's taking beautiful screenshots, collecting and so, so much more. :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2022
    It's not a sandbox game. Many build options for example have to be unlocked, as do skills. They have to be gained. People can play however they like to of course, but I still wonder why some ignore the generational aspect of the game? It's a main part. Sims age and die.

Not for me, my sims never die, unless it's part of MY story. I play leisurely and don't want to be forced to hurry up and grind to do this or do that before they die and get all stressed out because their days are "numbered". I play with aging turned off and age up when/if I feel it fits the story. I play to relax.

I play many different households/stories. They're not all connected, I focus on that household instead of an entire world of sims. I prefer it this way, now if I get attached to certain sims in the world I might make a new save and play out their story, but it's never in the same save because I have very distinct idea of how I want that save to play out.

So for me I can honestly say I have never, not in any of the games, ever played generationally.

Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2022

Because it's my game, I spent a ton of money on it, it's here to entertain me and bring me joy and I can play it however I want.

My sims live perfect little Stepford Wife lives. They're rich, happy, and living their best pixel lives. They also never age or die. That's not allowed in Stepford World.

I get super annoyed with the more they take away from us, the more they try to force their idea of how this game should be played on us. It's my game. I'll play it however I want.

Now to answer the original question. I played generations but eventually realized that I get overwhelmed if I'm playing more than 1 sim at a time. I can't handle it because I have to control every aspect of their lives and it was too much. So a couple of years ago, I created my simself and I've been playing her as a single sim in various versions ever since. I mostly play a "start over" game. I kind of enjoy demolishing all the worlds and making all new lots and then making about 150 new sims to live in those worlds. I make up stories for them, set up relationships, give them careers. Then I play it for a couple of days, get bored and repeat the process.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I try to have a plan to work towards a goal. I recently excised my mods folder and my saves. I started with a completely clean slate...scary. I now have 2 lovely ladies who are both casters...totally different in interests but are friends. That was not planned but a bright spot in the story. I sort of take it from there as to what their interests are. I used to try to have my sims know all different things. Too much of the big picture was overwhelming me, so I took it a little at a time. My sims love to drop by the bar in the evening after a hard day's work for a drink and to find out the latest gossip, maybe play darts or fooseball with a regular, that sort of thing.

If I don't have a goal of what my sim will be doing and accomplishing, I just won't play. I hate sitting down at the computer and staring at the main screen page...only to turn it off.

I hope this helps. Happy Simming!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    I tend to try out new packs with my next generation growing up, instead of making new sims for the pack, but it can cause quite a bit of lag between when the pack comes out (or when I buy it) and when that generation is actually old enough to use it :)
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I never really have a set pathway in mind. I will admit that I do have the Avengers set as everyday Sims and they do play a little towards what their characters are. But any original sims I just kind of play by ear. For example, I went into CAS last week and wanted to make a Sim Couple and I wanted one of them to be Irish. I have a lot of red-headed female Sims in my game, so I decided I wanted male ginger and him to be married to a female. I randomized most of the clothing and other features, then I forgot to set up the relationship (I always forget that) and they ended up being roomies in this 2 bedroom home in Windenberg. They ended up bonding and being besties and now I can't even imagine them being married or even in a relationship. LOL. The male went with reading as his first 'like' so I made him a writer. The female went with dancing, backyard music, and fitness for her likes so she's kind of a bum until she finds a 'like' I can translate. So yeah... I let it kind of happen unless the muse strikes.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I make my own sims, depending on the storyline I have in mind. I like playing with a community and play rotationally. I start out with ideas for which jobs I want to play, pick the sims for those jobs, and begin their lives. I enjoy seeing my sims getting to know one another in the community. I play a variety of ways such as a farming community, a game of different occults, pirates, etc. I am planning a game based on Skyrim, when the game bugs are fixed and I can return to playing. The Sims 4 should be played in the way the player wants, there is no wrong or right way to play. Sometimes I want to focus on one family and will play that family incorporated the neighbors/NPCs into my game. Depends on my mood each day! :) I haven't been playing at all recently, mainly due to the wants/fears and phone obsession, as I doubt I will enjoy these in my game. Waiting for the ability to shut off wants/fears so that it stays off before I return to my game. Hoping it is soon, as I do miss my games.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Often the main issue is making the sim in the first place, especially if I have a specific character or type in mind. After all these years TS4 simply does not have enough traits or trait slots to make realistic sims. Not surprising. The only time there is attention to detail is with artwork of some kind.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited September 2022
    Both times I’ve played Sims 4 I started in the same way. With a sim who’s main job is to be the parent to my main sim.

A born sim can get the toddler trait boost to skills, the child boost to creative, thinking, conversation, physical skills.. Scouts gets you another boost to skills. Then you now have high school gets you a boost to career. And after school activities a boost to certain skills.

So by the time that Sim is the age of its parent.. it’s far superior 😂. But as to where we go from there hmm.. who knows. Last time I basically just did generations and learnt all the base game jobs to get all the ps4 trophies.

This time I’m thinking to try out university. And then maybe get famous acting career. But you can go anywhere really right? Snowy mountain, country life, pick and choose :).
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I play the other way around in that I don't start with a sim, but with a setting. For example the most recent three things I wanted to play were a high seas fishing crew, a recycling plant and a village constable. That led to me first picking what objects and careers I could use from the packs, and only then putting sims into the setting. An already existing sim from my cottagecore save became the constable and in the same save I created my fishermen and their ship. For the recycling gameplay I used a short lived side save.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Usually when I start a new Sim from scratch, I take my inspiration from what they look like to me. A sim that gets my attention might look like the quintessential playboy living off a trust fund, or like an old retired jazz musician looking to finally catch that legendary fish he's been angling for, in a cozy little cabin with just enough for him and his dog.

Sometimes I see a teen runaway, about to find out what she can and can't do, to survive.

One time I had fun making a Japanese family, and I still play the teen son, now in High School Years, as suffering from depression but holding on to his dream to be an artistic visionary, which horrified his salary-man father and his shufu mother who considers him becoming a doctor or something similar to be her ultimate cause in life.

Sometimes I have enjoyed making sims you would love to hate. An attractive man with perfect hair and a smile that's more like a sneer, with max charisma, a hot temper, and no morals, who uses his charms to lure unwary targets into his vampires Embrace.

Sometimes I have made a family with kids and then got so involved with one or more of the kids, that I wanted to continue playing them as they grew up, graduated, and entered careers and adult relationships.usually that happens when one of them is just more interesting than the others and seems to suggest a storyline and a direction in life..

A lot of it is just getting inspired and following things to see where they lead instead of just controlling everything.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited September 2022

I play with aging off usually and age sims when I feel like it. I have some babies that have been around for many real years, waiting for a baby update. I get attached to my sims way too often.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    I play rotationally, so my main goal when making new sims is to fill in the gameplay that's missing in my save and can't be filled by existing sims. For example, I need an archaeologist but none of my sims fit for it. I create one.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member

I don't create a new Sim for new expansions, but I may be inclined to start my save all over again. I discovered just how very hard it was to instill values in a Teen, when Parenthood first came out. I started all over again, so that the Teens would be Child Sims and any Child Sim(s) would be Toddlers. Had a much better time exploring this GP.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/