Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play The Sims 4 for free beginning October 18th 2022

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I think given the fact how crappy the base game actually was when it was released, that just giving away a cheap 5 dollar kit with what looks like a bunch of recolors to me (minus one or two items) is kind of a meh decision somehow? I don't know exactly how to put my feelings into words, cause I don't actually care all that much anymore what EA does or doesn't do with this franchise, but it's just one more ploy to get people to play the base game, realize how empty it still is to then try and fill it with packs that don't necessarily deepen the overall experience. And I can't say that this sits all that well with me but whatever. It is what it is lol.
  • YesshesasimmerYesshesasimmer Posts: 94 Member
    The game being free will bring so many more people over the game. excited to see the new members to the community.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    @SimTrippy I think you said it well. I too feel like they are trying to get more players to buy packs and don't really care whether the players stick with them after that. And I guess that business path works for them.

When I bought the base game for 5€ I said I wouldn't buy any additional packs, but it's easy to give in to the temptation and the promise that the game will be more fun. And some packs make it more fun. It's just that they don't fix the empty core. I did enjoy the game for a couple of years and could ignore its shortcomings for that time.

Now I'm mostly sad and disappointed because it could've been much better, and the incomplete stuff, release messes and bugs have just been too much. But they already got my money and the wheel keeps on turning.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I'm happy that players will be able to play the base game for free! Though I think the DLC is really where the game shines, it's great to not have to pay for the foundation of it.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited September 2022
    I got the base game on the PS4 launch and I guess it was full price because I got when it released. But I played it a lot and got all the trophies so it was a good few months and I definitely felt like I got my money’s worth out of the base game. I’ve just come back to it, so I don’t feel ripped off at all. It’s been years.

I’m pleased that there’s at least one or two young people I’ve seen on YouTube comments or something that really want to play but cant because of money or whatever. They spend time watching others and wish they could play. If they get to play, I really don’t care that I paid £40 years ago. It will mean a lot to them, I think it’s good :smile:
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    As predominately a PC gamer for the past 8 years or so, I'm considering actually buying my first console in years (I bought a Wii new in 2009 and a used PS2 in 2012-ish) partly as a result of this. Hope the Black Friday discounts this year are decent.
  • MiaIceMiaIce Posts: 4 New Member
    yeah, it is crazy it will be free I do think that the base game should be free in my opinion and that the game in general should cost less, bc it is unnecessarily expensive. I am very excited because some people I know can get it now!
  • MiaIceMiaIce Posts: 4 New Member
    I am also a bit worried abt what the message of it is though
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    what special annoncement could it be looks like an old stream???
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • KiraGiggleZKiraGiggleZ Posts: 15 Member
    I mean the free kit was at least something but it would have been cool if it came with like a new trait or something too. I do strongly feel like this may be because a new sims game is coming. Which makes me a bit concerned that nothing new will be added to sims 4 when I literally just got the game under a year ago and have poured a lot of money into the addons. I hope I am wrong and that they will continue to add more through expansions or even just some overall improvements.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,318 EA Community Manager
    I mean the free kit was at least something but it would have been cool if it came with like a new trait or something too. I do strongly feel like this may be because a new sims game is coming. Which makes me a bit concerned that nothing new will be added to sims 4 when I literally just got the game under a year ago and have poured a lot of money into the addons. I hope I am wrong and that they will continue to add more through expansions or even just some overall improvements.

The Sims Team is dedicated more than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players. We will continue to develop and release packs, kits, and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • SmallGiantSmallGiant Posts: 3 New Member
    i got the game free few years ago during a promo ,but glad its becoming free to more people
  • NolaHexemNolaHexem Posts: 62 Member
    Honestly, I know a lot of people that are still playing (and prefer) Sims 3 to this day. The modding community really made that game absolutely gorgeous. With Sims 4 - EA was really trying to fix the fact that Sims 3 had a lot more loading times and lagging issues, so they wanted to bring a more advanced experience with it's playability and diversity, and kind of downgrade on things that caused issues (like the open worlds), which was a smart move- even though people like me hated it because my computer is a beast. I transitioned to Sims 4 pretty early because cc creators were coming out with content QUICKLY. Alpha hair was introduced so fast I think I bought the game before DLC came out (but don't quote me on that because I don't remember). Full circle, I think that this game has SO much content that as a game it stands on its own merit. I've paid roughly over 800$ on this game and its DLCs/Packs/Kits and I have no regrets what-so-ever. I know that some people may be concerned that since this is free, it indicates that Sims 5 is about to come out and they want to make a fast and last cash grab before they release the next one, but I don't think that Sims 4 has lost any of it's current value in any way even if Sims 5 comes out. I feel EA has DELIVERED in Sims 4. Some packs took longer than they should have and the order I feel is a little off. But now....as a whole...This game is fire (bugs aside - thanks EA for your constant patches though - even though you break my CC LOL) I've consistently played older games - Mass Effect Series from first to last, Dragon Age from first to last, TES, Fallout (that NV thoughhh). Personally, I think I'll be playing Sims 4 for awhile after Sims 5 until content creators come up with enough content for me to modify my game to my personal preferences. (I currently have 25k+ mods in my game...and yes, you read that correctly). So, idk, even if they don't come out with more content for Sims 4 when 5 comes out....this game as a whole is a really good game. And any game you have already, the developer makes the game, releases dlcs, and then moves on to the next. That's just the way it works. I'm looking forward to the future of Sims and to see where the road takes us. That's my soap box. *exits stage left*
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »

The Sims Team is dedicated more than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players. We will continue to develop and release packs, kits, and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future.

I'm delighted to hear that, @EA_Cade.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • trogametrogame Posts: 37 Member
    Why do I have to enter my credit card for a free pack?
  • SprighSprigh Posts: 62 Member
    Because it’s like buying it but with 100% discount. Don’t worry it will show in the last step.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    trogame wrote: »
    Why do I have to enter my credit card for a free pack?

I did not have to enter a credit card number. I never have because I usually use gift cards to pay for packs. Maybe changing payment method to something else can help to avoid it.
  • JustinPhoenixDLCJustinPhoenixDLC Posts: 42 Member

This actually says a lot to me. Thanks for sharing @EA_Cade
    Please bring disabilities to the Sims 4!
    Gallery ID: JusGaminDLC | YouTube Channel
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2022
    Smart decision. They probably should have done this a long time ago. The base game is just a platform for the expansions and paid DLC, which is where the real money is being made.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    Smart decision. They probably should have done this a long time ago. The base game is just a platform for the expansions and paid DLC, which is where the real money is being made.
    Exactly, I bet packs will be on sale the week it goes free too, they’re the real money maker
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    Exactly, I bet packs will be on sale the week it goes free too, they’re the real money maker

Oh I hope so!
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I hope this means TS5 is coming soon... It's been a long 8 years.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47h55qv75szzbhmgsxgyd49ypcalza2b07d5g4dsof&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    p6tqefj
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

Love this! 💝💝💝
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
    The catch is (because ain't nothing free) the base game is bare bones and you would have to buy DLC to actually enjoy the game.

Nice that they are doing this though because they did not have to.