Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'donate' 2000§ to get better chances of enrolling in uni?

My current sim is has just applied for university. She has the option to 'donate' 2000§ to the university to get better odds to get accepted. She can do this both for herself and her boyfriend who lives in the same household. This is the first time I have seen this option. Does anyone know what triggers it? This sim has completed 27 aspirations and earned all the parenthood character value traits so I have no idea where to start looking.

Comments

• Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited September 2022
    I haven't seen this option. How did you do it? I mean like where you found that option. I am very curious. This is such a cool feature to have.
    Maybe it came with HSY?
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    I clicked on the pc to and under University it was there along with ask for scholarship and apply for university.
    9QO8awN.png

I got a notification saying my donation was excepted and my sims chances had improved.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited September 2022
    Yes, bribing the universities to get into a distinguished degree more easily.

This option is unlocked with Mischief skill. Remember that it could fail, causing your sim to have even lower chance to get into distinguished degrees.

The other boost options are using fame and using alumni status (graduating one university and then helping other sim to get into the distinguished degrees in the university they've graduated).

One additional fact about the boosts: the boosts can be used on the sim themselves and on the other sims in the same household.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    @EgonVM thank you for clarifying. My sims usually never do the mischief skill but my supersim is the exception to that rule because she needed the skill for one of the deviant aspirations. That explains why this is the first time I see it.

I had no idea it could fail. I guess I was lucky twice in a row for the two sims in this household.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    Hm, can't really think of a sim who was born in game (lived and built skills) who was not accepted into university...? Maybe I was lucky. And maybe a few did start in the non-distinguished course, but if so I just let them switch after the 1st term. I don't see how I would spend §2000 on this, but it's good to know anyway in case I'll send a not so skilled sim to uni in the future :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Hm, can't really think of a sim who was born in game (lived and built skills) who was not accepted into university...? Maybe I was lucky. And maybe a few did start in the non-distinguished course, but if so I just let them switch after the 1st term. I don't see how I would spend §2000 on this, but it's good to know anyway in case I'll send a not so skilled sim to uni in the future :)

The only way to not get accepted to universities is by having your sim drop out or get expelled from high school (High School Years ep) and having no skills (so that they won't get into any distinguished degrees).

If your sim has graduated high school (includes sims from CAS), then any basic degree is available to them.

So, what is the difference between distinguished and basic degree besides one is harder to get into?
    First is the pay the sim is going to get once they join a degree-supported career. Distinguished degrees give higher pay and signing bonus.
    The second is the starting level. I'll put the further explanation under spoilers.
    There are four degree types your sim can have:
    1. Basic degree
    2. Basic degree with honors
    3. Distinguished degree
    4. Distinguished degree with honors
    To earn honors, your sim must have a really high GPA (like A+ high).

The entry point is different from each career, but I have noticed a pattern: it all depends on whether the career branches out early or late (like lever 6 late).
    So...
    If the career branches out early, then
    • Basic degree starts you off at level 6.
    • Basic with honors or distinguished degree starts you off at level 7.
    • Distinguished degree with honors starts you off at level 8.
    If the career branches out late, then honors doesn't matter.
    • Basic degree starts you off at level 7.
    • Distinguished degree starts you off at level 8.

Finally, we have the weirdest career: Astronaut career. This branches out after level 7. Due to this, all degrees start you off at level 8 there.

Source: my video:

So yeah, that's what I can say about that... Distinguished degree can pay off better, so if you like, go for it. You'll have a lot of distinguished degrees to choose, thus giving you automatically a large scholarship.