Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does starting a new save force you into CAS?

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
edited September 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Have the gurus ever justified why this limiting decision was implemented? It's inflexible and based on the assumption that everyone wants to create a new sim for their game.

Starting a new save should put you into the world first.
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• storymingstoryming Posts: 28 Member
    I'll be interested to hear feedback on this too. Before I can play I have to REPLACE the auto-generated CAS character with my preferred household imported from the gallery.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I agree with you. The first thing I want to do when I start a new save is to set up the world i want to play in.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    My theory is because TS4 originally was meant to be an online game which in those you always have to create your "character" first before loading into a world/map. Like in Second Life (a virtual world where you control an avatar) you always have to create your avatar before you can access a "sim" (aka world) in the game.

If it was an online game there would have been no pre-mades for you to start playing with, because all of the sims you'd run into would be characters that are being controlled by other RL people. And without a character/avatar/sim you couldn't purchase/acquire land to build on.

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    My theory is because TS4 originally was meant to be an online game which in those you always have to create your "character" first before loading into a world/map. Like in Second Life (a virtual world where you control an avatar) you always have to create your avatar before you can access a "sim" (aka world) in the game.

If it was an online game there would have been no pre-mades for you to start playing with, because all of the sims you'd run into would be characters that are being controlled by other RL people. And without a character/avatar/sim you couldn't purchase/acquire land to build on.

You are correct. TS4 endlessly betrays its online origins wherever you go, whatever you try to do.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    I've been asking this literally since 2014. Here in the forum, on twitter, on facebook, in youtube... THEY NEVER TOLD US WHY THEY MADE THIS DECISION!
    Because it's an offline online game. In an online game you need to make your character first to have something to go into the game with. Don't expect them to fess up because they won't.
  • willprotwillprot Posts: 18 Member
    yes at this point it would be better to just start in the world menu first, as mentioned I also prefer to set up my world before bothering with CAS
    willprot wrote: »
    yes at this point it would be better to just start in the world menu first, as mentioned I also prefer to set up my world before bothering with CAS

Just like TS2, which is an offline game from the get go.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
    I really hope Rene doesn't repeat this mistake!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I really dislike that too. Creating a character from scratch often takes too long, and in sims2 and 3, I like reading bios and delving into the interwoven backstories of pre-made households.

Having to make a sim from scratch slows things way down and makes it too heavy a decision. I rarely ever want to play some insertion of myself. I want to get wild and silly with the premades because there's so much there to explore and have fun with and I can jump right in!
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    I really dislike that too. Creating a character from scratch often takes too long, and in sims2 and 3, I like reading bios and delving into the interwoven backstories of pre-made households.

Having to make a sim from scratch slows things way down and makes it too heavy a decision. I rarely ever want to play some insertion of myself. I want to get wild and silly with the premades because there's so much there to explore and have fun with and I can jump right in!

BINGO!
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I would suggest this to be on the list of things to alter in a future patch. I mean it doesn't break the game like a glitch, but it makes it difficult to use.
    This would probably be too much work and could possibly break something. The foundation of TS 4 is online multiplayer, making your own avatar/player character is mandatory in such games, to change foundation structure after the house is built upon it is risky business.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Have the gurus ever justified why this limiting decision was implemented? It's inflexible and based on the assumption that everyone wants to create a new sim for their game.

I agree that this may be limiting to some, BUT - unless I misunderstood- I disagree with the bolded part. That’s essentially doing the same thing: it limits those who prefer to create a household first.

Not all players are the same, so we really need more options, not just one.
    Here’s my 2 rusty auld cents:

When starting a new save there should be a welcome screen with 3 prompts:
    1. Create New Houshold - choosing this will open CAS.
    2. Move in / Play with existing Household - choosing this will open the world/ neighborhood, giving the player an option to either move in a household from the library/ gallery or play with premades.
    3. Build New- this option is for those who want to build / rebuild a world prior to moving in any sims.

This way you’re giving players with completely different interests a good mix of “start new save” features from existing sim titles and the freedom to choose between the 3 Sim Modes:

-CAS MODE
    -LIVE MODE
    -BUILD MODE

Depending on a player’s choice, other options could be prompted e.g. “play scenario” or “create sim based on story” etc., which is basically what’s available at the moment.

I can’t see this being Implemented in Sims 4 due to what @Oldeseadogge suggested, but hopefully this will be considered for the next ~ (cross platform yikes 😬) ~ gen.

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I can't agree that simply starting from a chosen world map, seeing the neighborhood and available households qnd empty lots, with the option visible in front of you to either choose a household or create one, is somehow limiting to those who want to create one.

Being forced to go through creating a new one when all you wanted fo do was go right to the Munches, or the Goths, that's what causes an unnecessary hurdle. It's not equally fair to both, it forces everyone to play the same way at least at first.

Choosing a worldmap, then seeing the option to Create or Select a Household does offer equally direct access to both options and is how it was done before sims4.

Starting a new save when I wasn't in the mood to get into the weeds of character creation but just wanted to play with the families of Windenberg used to give me such a moment of irritation because there was no getting around that forced turnstile of creating a new household I didn't even want.

I bet it wouldn't destroy sims4 to change it to starting from choosing a world, first, then looking at the neighborhood and then either selecting a household, or creating one, or downloading one from the gallery to play.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Choosing a worldmap, then seeing the option to Create or Select a Household does offer equally direct access to both options and is how it was done before sims4.

Yes, previous games ( I specifically remember it from Sims 3 ) did this quite well!

I do agree that starting from a world map gives us more options,however, we’re still being “forced” to choose a world.

What if a player doesn’t want to think about a world at all yet? No need to choose one, go straight into CAS, if that’s what they’d prefer.

I can be very indecisive when it comes to choosing worlds ( then again, I tend to overthink) but when this happens I’m glad the game sends me directly into CAS, because the character will eventually inspire me what world to choose for them.

Other times I simply want to start the story in a specific neighborhood with a character I’ve already created. Unfortunately that option is not available at all in the current setup.

Another possibility is to start from the world selection screen with a CAS button available for those who do not want to choose a world (yet) but create a sim instead.

• manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    I totally agree with the OP. It is irritating. Creating a sim is very rarely the first thing I want to do when I start a new save.
    Is this still happening for people?
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Omg yess, sometimes I may have plans with placing some venues or lots in some of the worlds first while making a new save, and that would have nothing to do with creating a new household of Sims in CAS. I hope they can bring some new Save options for both sides of the players, such as ”New Save…Create a New Sim” and ”New Save…Manage Worlds” or something like that or an in-between kind of alternative. :)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

I agree that this may be limiting to some, BUT - unless I misunderstood- I disagree with the bolded part. That’s essentially doing the same thing: it limits those who prefer to create a household first.

Not all players are the same, so we really need more options, not just one.
    Here’s my 2 rusty auld cents:

When starting a new save there should be a welcome screen with 3 prompts:

1. Create New Houshold - choosing this will open CAS.
    2. Move in / Play with existing Household - choosing this will open the world/ neighborhood, giving the player an option to either move in a household from the library/ gallery or play with premades.
    3. Build New- this option is for those who want to build / rebuild a world prior to moving in any sims.

This way you’re giving players with completely different interests a good mix of “start new save” features from existing sim titles and the freedom to choose between the 3 Sim Modes:

-CAS MODE
    -LIVE MODE
    -BUILD MODE

Depending on a player’s choice, other options could be prompted e.g. “play scenario” or “create sim based on story” etc., which is basically what’s available at the moment.

I can’t see this being Implemented in Sims 4 due to what @Oldeseadogge suggested, but hopefully this will be considered for the next ~ (cross platform yikes 😬) ~ gen.

I'd be totally down for these options. They also work for existing games as well. Since I play with a quadrillion households, I don't always know how I feel like playing until I open my game and take a look. Sometimes I like to create a new household to add to my existing game, sometimes I want to jump in and play one of my many households, sometimes I want to do more "setup" and change lots around or switch them out. These options would cover all of my moods. Well...almost all...

*Cough* world editing *cough*.
    #Team Occult
    I really hope Sims 5 reverts back to the tradition of Sims 1-3. I know CAS was like the crown jewel of Sims 4 when the game first released, but I find the lack of choice to be limiting.