Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you deal with Neighbourhood Stories?

kozardiikozardii Posts: 29 Member
This feature is frustrating for me.
I want my game to have story progression because I can't manage going into every single household in the game and create storylines for each sim and make them marry and have babies and such. But Neighbourhood Stories is a mess. Every 5 minutes, all households in the game adopt a child and 5 dogs, then everyone dies, then all houses are empty because they moved out. Is there a way to make this feature more organized? Or am I forced to deactivate it completly?
Post edited by kozardii on

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    - If a household has gotten a kid or two do you uncheck the “have a kid”-option?

- Hmm… how many households have the “deadly accidents” checked?

If you change the settings for what the game is allowed to do with an household, does that work?

So far if I see that one sim died in a household and I remove the “deadly accidents” afterwards because I did not want all of them to die the game has followed my instructions so far.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I have it turned off and let MCCC control SP instead. For mod users: You can set Neighborhood Stories to mingle with MCCC so for an example, it's limited to whatever pregnancy settings you have through MCCC.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I didn't even give it a chance. I disabled it the minute it was added to my game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I always disable move out, adopt a child and leave a career. First and the last messes with pre made sims (Goths leaving their mansion, Victor Feng becoming a cook etc.).

The adopt a child option adds ridiculous amount of random townie kids in my game, literally they will adopt until household can’t accept any more sims. I let them have pregnancy babies for about 2 in-game weeks (that adds bunch of new borns, usually Bjergsen household and Goths are racing each other, Bheeda household also ends up with about 4 babies). Then I switch this off because enough is enough lol 😂. I would keep all the kids options if it worked well, as it is now it’s just filling houses without any reason so I don’t like it.

I keep death by accident, although it did kill few sims I like (Wolfgang from Werewolves pack is a good example), but I treat this as a life challenge. Sad things are part of being alive. But in my experience this feature is not as crazy as adopting and getting pregnant. Other options are fine, few new neighbors arrive from time to time, older sims retire and that’s it.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I have move out disabled, usually leave career too (but not Retire. They can retire.) And I'll change some settings for individual households too... like the sages and Father Winter get pretty much everything turned off for them (I will let them adopt pets. So far, they haven't across multiple saves. Probably because they don't have houses.)

I'll also go through at the end of each session and look for households that have elders with children (or younger) sims and/or pets and age down the elders so that the kids are less likely end up lost to the void of social services. (I do have MCCC with adoption, but it's been... weird about some settings since Neighborhood stories, and kids/pets it says are adopted don't always get moved.)

I let MCCC handle marriages, since the darned phone calls can't be relied on for that, but at this point, that's pretty much all I let MCCC do in terms of population development (and any moving sims around due to said marriages.)

I've found that if you let the game go long enough (and I play on normal/custom lifespan, not long/aging off) the babies/adoptions tend to go in waves. One week is a baby boom, the next tends to be relatively quiet. I do have several households that are a bit on the full side, but MCCC would do that too before Neighborhood stories. (I actually feel that MCCC is *more* aggressive about population booms than Neighborhood stories, at least on default.) Of course, I also only play one household, so whatever shenanigans the rest of the world is up to really doesn't matter to me.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I turned it off. I want to control the sims in MY game.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Nah, I left it alone. I get all kinds of notices about all different sims...very entertaining!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I disabled the move-in/move-out for most of the my neighborhood, I also disabled random deaths as well.
    I am keeping the adopt/have another child option for now so that I get more Sims for my Sims in later generations
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member
    I mix and match with MCCC story progression , to my liking :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • kozardiikozardii Posts: 29 Member
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    I disabled the move-in/move-out for most of the my neighborhood, I also disabled random deaths as well.
    I am keeping the adopt/have another child option for now so that I get more Sims for my Sims in later generations

The only reason I have adopting children turned off is because they always turn out to be ugly. I wish there was a way to controle or at least monitor these children like you do with NPC's because they all look like they came from the deepest fiery pit of hell.
  • kozardiikozardii Posts: 29 Member
    - If a household has gotten a kid or two do you uncheck the “have a kid”-option?

If you change the settings for what the game is allowed to do with an household, does that work?

So far if I see that one sim died in a household and I remove the “deadly accidents” afterwards because I did not want all of them to die the game has followed my instructions so far.

The thing is, I sometimes would like my sims to die, because it creates a "challenge" for the other sims. For example, a household with a teenager, his younger sibling and his mom. If their mom dies, there's gonna be a challenge for them to overcome. But if the feature is turned on, besides them dying constantly, the deaths are also completly out of character? I had a sim dying from heights that was residing in Willow Creek and never had been to Mt. Komorebi in their life. It's just weird.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I didn't even give it a chance. I disabled it the minute it was added to my game.

Same here. After seeing the feedback from other simmers that feature quickly went off.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,809 Member
    I didn't use it much until my current favorite save. I'm using it there but it's turned off for my households. For the rest it varies. I have move in and out disabled globally, but I will go into some households that I want to hang around and enable move in. I try to stay ahead of the games culling and do my own, that opens up spots for those households. I let them choose for themselves where they go, I just clear a few houses for them to choose from. Die by accident I have disabled, but I do occasionally turn it on for a sim a day or two and see what happens. Adoption and have a baby are off now. I turn those on for young couples, but they're off for the adult crowd. Join a career and retire are on and quit is off.
  • kadoracsimskadoracsims Posts: 13 New Member
    TBH i have never had a death due to neighbourhood stories and i can't figure out why. It caused a huge population boom in my save and it didn't even kill off some sims to even it out. I disabled the have baby/adopt for rn to get the population back under control. anyone know an mccc setting that can do death by accidents as well? even when it's the only thing checked for every household i haven't seen a single death so my save is sooo crowded now
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    I leave the option "have a baby", "retire career" and "accidental death" on as default, then I tweak it on a family basis when needed. Especially the "have a baby" option needs to be turned off once a family has had enough babies or the family is a bit too old for more new kids. If someone is important for story line purposes I turn off accidental death as well.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
    JAL wrote: »
    I leave the option "have a baby", "retire career" and "accidental death" on as default, then I tweak it on a family basis when needed. Especially the "have a baby" option needs to be turned off once a family has had enough babies or the family is a bit too old for more new kids. If someone is important for story line purposes I turn off accidental death as well.

Yeah. I micro-manage the households that do have neighborhood stories turned on as well. Accidental deaths are just turned on for some specific households, “move in” is ok but I seldom use “move out”.
    kozardii wrote: »

The thing is, I sometimes would like my sims to die, because it creates a "challenge" for the other sims. For example, a household with a teenager, his younger sibling and his mom. If their mom dies, there's gonna be a challenge for them to overcome. But if the feature is turned on, besides them dying constantly, the deaths are also completly out of character? I had a sim dying from heights that was residing in Willow Creek and never had been to Mt. Komorebi in their life. It's just weird.

Hmm… if you feel that they die constantly, maybe remove “accidental deaths” from a few more households. See how that works out.
  • flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2022
    I really like the idea of Neighborhood Stories but wished that it was a little more finetuned and that there was finally an option that lets townies start relationships, marry and move together.

I deactivated adoption of children, because there are way to many. And I made a mod that lets homeless townies have children and die, too, because per default they are only eligible if they live in a house (but I limited the pregnancies based on household size, otherwise it was really extreme, lol).

I think the excessive pregnancies and adoptions might be due to some settings combination that does not work so well. Like I said, pregnancies and adoptions are only available for Sims that live in a house (without mods). And if you allow them to move out they will eventually do that when the household becomes too big (which leads to them stopping to get pregnant or adopt). But if you disable moving out there is no other limit that makes them stop (except the household size of course, but that is still extreme).

@kadoracsims While modding I learned that the Accidental Deaths feature is tied to the in game culling, so it might be possible that you changed some settings regarding culling which leads to the Sims not dying. I noticed in my saves that it takes a while until the first Sims die by Accidental Death (even with nothing changed about the max number of Sims).
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I turn neighbourhood stories off for Father Winter. Other than that everything is on with the exception of certain households. For example the Goths I unchecked move out. Mermaids, werewolves and vampires I uncheck move in and move out.
    I don't mind the occults but I prefer to keep them in their relevant worlds.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    For my non-fav families I disable move out and adopt by default PLUS since I've been overrun with new births have selectively set some families in this group to stop having babies.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Get thee hence foul interloper of unwanted tales! Translation: I turned it off, all the way off. B)
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Simple, turned it off and modded out the phone calls.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2022
    I've decided to leave it off for now.

When it first hit I left it on in one save to see what happened and, boy, the chaos! Sims were dropping dead left and right - even played sims I still had plans for. Babies or adopted kids were everywhere, too. I couldn't find sims because they had moved. I didn't have Cats and Dogs at the time so at least there wasn't a pet explosion in that save. I've since abandoned that save because everything changed so quickly. The rapidity of events is just too much, at least for me. It was out of control; something was happening in nearly every household.

I'll probably try it again one of these days, but only for individual families - there are a lot of premades I really don't care about. I'd check a few of the boxes for them but not all of them - I don't need another baby explosion!
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I set my household bin's default to "join career" and "death by accident" only (for randomized townies), then took a great deal of time changing each of the actual game households individually. The Goths and Landgraabs will not accidentally die. However, every random townie the game makes to be a bartender or librarian could spontaneously combust.

When I get bored of my current save, I intend to make one called "Chaos" with all story progression and NAPs and everything on. It will probably end up with babies and dogs everywhere, and a bunch of game-generated sims in red elbow-length gloves stealing each other's bicycles, then dying of starvation on my lawn.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    I always disable move out, adopt a child and leave a career. First and the last messes with pre made sims (Goths leaving their mansion, Victor Feng becoming a cook etc.).

The adopt a child option adds ridiculous amount of random townie kids in my game, literally they will adopt until household can’t accept any more sims. I let them have pregnancy babies for about 2 in-game weeks (that adds bunch of new borns, usually Bjergsen household and Goths are racing each other, Bheeda household also ends up with about 4 babies). Then I switch this off because enough is enough lol 😂. I would keep all the kids options if it worked well, as it is now it’s just filling houses without any reason so I don’t like it.

I keep death by accident, although it did kill few sims I like (Wolfgang from Werewolves pack is a good example), but I treat this as a life challenge. Sad things are part of being alive. But in my experience this feature is not as crazy as adopting and getting pregnant. Other options are fine, few new neighbors arrive from time to time, older sims retire and that’s it.

I hear and understand what you're saying, however, I did allow for deaths when NS first dropped. What I didn't anticipate was losing key NPS from Get Famous getting themselves eliminated! I lost Dirk Dreamer, first to that horrible bowl of cereal explosion (Rice Crispies, anyone?). Then Thorne Bailey retired to become a Stay at home dad. Shortly after that he flat out died. He drowned from never having the swimming lessons advised. Face/palm. My Sim was a neighbor. He knew these Sims, since he was also in the 'business'. The Starlight Accolades Show has never been the same without these two iconic celebrities.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/