Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Lionflash wrote: »
    So if you don't play households that are enrolled in university they will go on probation and eventually get kicked out of the dorms?

The Pleasants were on probation when I got around to looking at them. The pre-made sims (Fletcher & Best Of Friends) were removed from their respective dorms and I found then in the household bins. I never played with them.

Is this on purpose?

They are supposed to finish with a decent grade and then get moved out and end up in unplayed households. And that has happened to some of my sims, but some other of my unplayed sims got an F.
  • Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    edited January 2020
    logion wrote: »
    So if you don't play households that are enrolled in university they will go on probation and eventually get kicked out of the dorms?

The Pleasants were on probation when I got around to looking at them. The pre-made sims (Fletcher & Best Of Friends) were removed from their respective dorms and I found then in the household bins. I never played with them.

Is this on purpose?

They are supposed to finish with a decent grade and then get moved out and end up in unplayed households. And that has happened to some of my sims, but some other of my unplayed sims got an F.

Seems like I won't be able to create a University Housing lot with an Order of Enchantment affiliation without the game flushing out my secret society characters/ dorm leaders.

I was thinking about changing Partihaus into a University Housing fraternity of sorts with the original pre-mades as perpetual frat leaders, and adding extra rooms & beds so that other students could be dorm-mates if they join the club, but I'm thinking this means they too would eventually get kicked out of Partihaus.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2020
    logion wrote: »

Is this on purpose?

Seems like I won't be able to create a University Housing lot with an Order of Enchantment affiliation without the game flushing out my secret society characters/ dorm leaders.

I was thinking about changing Partihaus into a University Housing fraternity of sorts with the original pre-mades as perpetual frat leaders, and adding extra rooms & beds so that other students could be dorm-mates if they join the club, but I'm thinking this means they too would eventually get kicked out of Partihaus.

Best way to do that is probably to just create a normal household and pretend it is a university dorm. Since you can study from home and have roommates there is barely any difference.
  • Pberg20Pberg20 Posts: 1 New Member
    It's not that I don't like Discover University because I see it's potential. But, here is a thought to the creators. Wouldn't it be better to have an in game option to change terms to coincide with the length of their lifespan chosen. Yes I know there is a mod to expand but after the 7 day mark anyways you are unable to do your homework and you do the term exam or have to tern in the term paper or make the presentation or it does get counted against you. But, it's a good thought I mean we can change the calendar and the length of the seasons. So, why can't we have this. Just add it to a patch. I'm sure it'll make University way better.
  • NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    edited January 2020
    So.....I'm trying sims university for the first time.

First of all I have to tell you that I did not see any trailers of this pack and I didn't follow any news about it. Because I knew it wouldn't be that great and I didn't want to get too excited for nothing. I'm glad I stopped being updated with sims 4 stuff.

I started to play again and decided to buy the pack only because I saw my friend playing it and it made me want to play too. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 it. Sims 4 is like tobacco to me.

So now that I'm playing this is even worst that I thought. First of all there's no kitchen in the dorms and this one sim gets the food from the air.
    And I'm like this is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 ridiculous are the sims 4 team make a fool of us? are they serious? for god sake are you that lazy? we don't have kitchens we don't have a staff to serve us food. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 it I'm so mad at this. This is so ridiculous.

I decided to make a kitchen for the dorm, but they ''the smart sims 4 team'' made it impossible to put a kitchen in the dorms, I had to download a mod and I still haven't tried the mod and I'm like ''perfect another mod, to be on my mod folder, full of mods, only to just fix the small details that sims 4 team are just toooooo ''smart'' to do it". I just hope with the kitchen in the dorm the others sim npc will stop bringing food from the air, like ''yeah that's super realistic and awesome''

Second......from the first hours of playing I find it hard to know if my Sim is doing well or not. Why there isn't anything to show the progression?
    I find the pack quite disorganized, I have 5 days only for one semester is that right? I think thats kinda too little to work on your grades and I can't see the progression of it.

For now that's my only complains I will come back for more. -.-'''''''

Edit: I'm upset for not having buck beds. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 it .......is not that hard right? I guess sims 4 team are just ''too smart'' to do it.

• NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    I am semi excited the things i like are

I don’t like the way laptops are handled you can’t use them on the ground they still have a mouse instead of a touchpad you can’t use them outside of the lots and the dumbest thing you can’t even close the tjing i mean seriously???

I’m also affraid we yet again aren’t able to build the dorm rooms just like with the apartments from city living this to me is a huge dissapointment just as the apartments were

The second thing i’m affraid of is the number of majors so far we’ve heard of 4 with one being rather unrealistic not that i’m against it but if your going to have only 4 majors atleast make them common ones

The laptops are so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 annoying because they still need a table for us to use them, and the problem is that it needs to be a table where sims can sit it can't be a coffee table. I wanted to see my sims using the laptop in the floor or in the sofa and bed.
  • LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2020
    I feel like a lot of DU wasn't thought through. Like why are the Uni classes not programmed like Jobs and High School classes with a performance bar? There's no way to tell which building a class is in and I almost wish sims would just disappear to go to class because otherwise, it takes the whole class for them to walk to it. There should always be a go to class button! this is probably my biggest peeve because jobs and the other schools have it but for some reason, the button shows up sometimes! and sometimes they autonomously go to class early! Let! Me! Choose! I find it weird that the universities have different clubs that don't overlap because who are the UBrite debate club supposed to be debating? Themselves? Who does the Foxbury Robotics club compete against? Themselves? on top of not making much logical sense what are my engineer major sims supposed to do at UBrite? What are my communication majors suppose to do at Foxbury?

I personally would've liked to see sororities and frats return since there's a focus on partying in the pack and not being able to make your own student orgs feels like a missed opportunity. Additionally, I wish we could make the semester longer if we wanted bc I play with aging off and one week is sort of short to me. I feel as though soccer should've been added as an after school club for kids and kids and toddlers should've had their own bikes, It just makes no sense to me that in the sims universe anyone younger than a teen is incapable of riding a bike. A feature I also wish was in the game (or at least a cheat) was the ability to chose your dormmates. I remade a dorm with rooms and made the respective sims for them and there wasn't an easy way to make them all live in that dorm together, I got so frustrated I made my own off-campus dorm and put them all in it even though it meant I would have to control them along with the sim I wanted to play originally. Speaking of off-campus, there should've been an off-campus housing lot option that allowed stoves, because it makes no sense that off-campus lots have the same restriction at the on-campus one, leading me to never use the Student Housing lot designation despite me wanting to use the other customizable features of it.

I've said this in another thread but I wish they would find more inspiration for the black/afro hairstyles in-game, we have way more ways to wear our hair than dreads and braids and I feel as though they aren't really looking into that, like where's the finger waves, the bantu knots, the mini twists, the fros (the base game ones look like meatballs to me tbh) the Puff?? honestly, we've gotten like six different packs with dreads in them, we know they know how to make dreads, do something else so I can delete all this cc.
    Post edited by Luxury on
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    My biggest complaints so far is how, when you have a student Sim graduate, Leave, or Move in/out from dorm housing, their roommates in the college housing residence have to keep changing and you have to re-dress them in CAS all over again, Plus:

-The constant trash in the dorms (and hiring a maid will not help as they will not clean certain things),
    -All the spoiled food left to rot is way too much.
    -However, the worst is the universities suspension or expellment system. It needs a major overhaul. We should be able to stop playing Sims for more than 24 to 48 hours without our student Sims being expelled or suspended or getting a bad grade. Afterall, they don't get fired from jobs if they are not being actively played. So I don't get why EA thought that made sense.

In fact, while some of my Sims were able to graduate in a timely fashion, some had to re-do classes and right now, I still have a Foxbury Institute Sim that completed 11 credits out of 12 needed to gradauate. But he can't graduate, because the game suspended him for no reason for a month (in real time), now. The game will not let me re-enroll him and I refuse to re-enroll him into a new program where he lose all his credits into universtiy all over again. Don't understand why they can't even fix that bug. Ughh... Btw, I already made complaints on the other EA board/s for reporting this, but no response or fix, thus far.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Coop_myloveCoop_mylove Posts: 15 Member
    I am enjoying DU - I think trying to do it to the fullest extent so quickly overwhelmed me though. And it has brought about some complaints.
    ***first I have to express my longing for Greek life that previous university expansions brought fourth***
    NOW FOR TS4
    1) omg the roommates. I must add that it doesn’t help my sim, Gabriel, is also famous. Not only were they roommates, they were also fans, and constantly pestered me. It started with autographs and selfies and I was hoping after that they would have had their fill. They never let up.
    2) it took 3xs longer than it normally would to complete homework because of the bagillion side conversations.
    3) FILTHY surroundings!! My sim was constantly plagued by the horrific mess the state of the dorm was in.
    4) cheap s*****y furniture. Trying to get all my needs up took forever. Grabiels parents were loaded and gave him a lot of money to take with him. Which I planned on using to dec out my dorm. Only to find out it was useless without cheat codes.
    5) NO STOVE! Mini meals don’t satisfy. And then they leave your sim with a crappy diet moodlet. And the random food that did show up was rarely vegetarian and would spoil so quickly.
    I eventually reached my breaking point. The constant pestering roommates were the final straw. I moved back home, opened the vault, loaded up on cash and moved back out into my own home off campus (all the way out on a private island away from most civilization).

I’m sorry it came to that. I really really wanted to give it the “old college try” and stick it out in the dorms, but it was not meant to be.
    This experience has left me somewhat jaded on how much I really like this addition to the simverse.
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yea, I don't understand this. Players complained on every single forum in existence for University. "Where's Uni?", "When will we get Uni?", "We need Uni!". Now they have it and all everyone does is complain. You asked for it, you got it, now deal with it.

I never wanted University. It was c**p in the older games and it's still so.

I would GLADLY give up the next several expansion/game/stuff packs if they would just spend that effort fixing the multitude of bugs in the existing ones.
  • SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    I'm wondering if they'll give my money back!

I love the idea of University, but it would be nice if she for once would get to class on time! It's now 11.24am and the class she was suppose to be sitting in finished at 10.55. Yet she is still waiting with a fellow classmate outside the dorm door doing nothing. So hasn't even made it to class yet.

I had got her outside 4 times already, I cheated and made all her needs happy, and everytime she ran inside to clean something, have a drink, twiddle her thumbs for all I know, something different everytime sent her back inside, so now she's actually missed the enitre class!

Not happy
  • selseselse Posts: 1 New Member
    I have one complaint - a thing that makes me enraged.

Why are Sims leaving to classes from non-uni lots when the classes start, and not before classes?
    Every time my Sim fails to stand just outside the house at the right hour, and God forbid goes to the toilet, I will see the dreaded pop-up that they saw other students get more from the classes, which means my honor degree I worked so many Sim-years for is lost. This is so terribly frustrating, and completely unrealistic- who leaves somewhere important at the last possible moment?
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    gettps wrote: »
    Yea, I don't understand this. Players complained on every single forum in existence for University. "Where's Uni?", "When will we get Uni?", "We need Uni!". Now they have it and all everyone does is complain. You asked for it, you got it, now deal with it.

I would GLADLY give up the next several expansion/game/stuff packs if they would just spend that effort fixing the multitude of bugs in the existing ones.

I would ACTUALLY be for this...
    I wish they WOULD fix this game before adding more upon more...

• candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I wasn't going to buy this EP but I broke down for the content and I liked the bike , however the University P did come up to my expectations it was awful just like the one in Sims 3. Glad there is someplace to complain but unlike a lot of people on here I new what to expect all EA did was redo the Sims 3 and then sell it with a new shiny a bike.
  • SimsLyfe516SimsLyfe516 Posts: 4 New Member
    I just wish they would bring back cars and make better use of the time since a sim day goes by so quick
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    gettps wrote: »

It’s possible for simmers who kept asking for uni and simmers who have complaints about uni to be two separate groups. I personally was impartial to the addition of University, but I also have complaints about it now that I’ve experienced it somewhat myself.

Furthermore, if some simmers who championed for university aren’t completely happy with it, that’s okay too. If I go to a restaurant wanting a juicy, medium well steak and they give me a dry hunk of meat instead, I’m going to have some complaints because that’s not what I expected/ordered.

What I’m trying to say is: wherever you fell on the sliding scale of wanting University, you are allowed to complain about how it turned out as this is the complaining thread.

I do agree with you on bug fixes though. If they want to stretch this game out for several more years then a HUGE bug fixing only patch is necessary. Preferably several huge patches. But bug fixes don’t make money, new releases do. *shrugs*
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »

What I’m trying to say is: wherever you fell on the sliding scale of wanting University, you are allowed to complain about how it turned out as this is the complaining thread.

Yes, this, exactly!

People complain... It's a free country, and I doubt we would have that recent interesting survey if nobody was saying how they truly feel about the current state of Sims 4. Complaining can bring about positive action sometimes. I imagine the Sims team would rather we complain and still buy the expansions, instead of throwing in the towel and letting Sims 4 fade away.

On the subject of DU, I personally loved University in previous packs. I was looking forward to the Sims 4 version, but I was certainly not 'complaining' about not having it, and honestly after lL I wasn't expecting much.

Now that I played it a bit, I can say I actually enjoy it, however it is not perfect. Roommates are great while dormmates are horrible, only because they are ugly little game generated monsters. I also find the roommates pulling cake and other random food out of thin air to be overkill, it could have been handled better if it was toned down, and perhaps a pop up about it being a care package from home would have worked better.

The worst though was not having family and friends at Graduation.

Aside from that, I like DU a lot. Love the CAS items, enjoy the fact it works with Get Together club system. Classes are okay once you get the hang of it.

Barbie430 wrote: »
    It’s possible for simmers who kept asking for uni and simmers who have complaints about uni to be two separate groups. I personally was impartial to the addition of University, but I also have complaints about it now that I’ve experienced it somewhat myself.

Furthermore, if some simmers who championed for university aren’t completely happy with it, that’s okay too. If I go to a restaurant wanting a juicy, medium well steak and they give me a dry hunk of meat instead, I’m going to have some complaints because that’s not what I expected/ordered.

I do agree with you on bug fixes though. If they want to stretch this game out for several more years then a HUGE bug fixing only patch is necessary. Preferably several huge patches. But bug fixes don’t make money, new releases do. *shrugs*

What I meant was, they seem all h*ll bent on releasing new sub-standard packs that ultimately serve no purpose but to break the existing ones. The last several packs completely broke the detective career, acting career, (parts of) scientist career, gardening, and a ton of other small stuff. They want so much to just make money by releasing new packs they are breaking everything else in the game. What's the point?

They released Uni, it doesn't work! And in the process broke several other packs. They need to actually FIX the existing parts of the game before releasing new content that doesn't work. They are shooting themselves in the feet. They release a pack, it breaks older packs, they fix one or two things in the older packs, which breaks the new packs... it never ends.

They need to stop releasing new content and do a full QA of the entire game. Fix all the existing bugs, THEN start working on new content and test THAT before releasing it. There isn't a SINGLE thing in the game now that doesn't have bugs. If it weren't for mods, the game would be unplayable.
  • KabubbleKabubble Posts: 1 New Member
    Oh my god the grading system SUCKS. I do not understand it. I go from passing to failing to passing to failing every day and I dont know what in doing wrong. HOWD I GET AN A+ ON A CLASS I WAS FAILING YESTERDAYYYY
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I can only repeat what I've found in my own game works.
    Make sure your sim does their homework.
    Make sure you don't accidentally submit a plagiarized term paper. Edit your sims term paper until you get a pop up that it can't be improved.
    Edit your sims presentation until it can't be improved.
    Turn up to class on time. This is important. The only time I've managed to get a sim lower than an A+ was by being late.
    Have your sim choose 'take notes' at every class.

I never bother buying the study books or having my sims study. Other people have said they feel skill gain effects your grade but I personally have had no issue whether my sim is brand new no skills at the start, or max skilled already. So you may want to try to squeeze this in just in case.

• StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    I find this pack very confusing, I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing or how my sim is progressing. How may terms am I meant to take before graduation or is that choice down to me? I feel like there isn't enough structure there to attending university
  • StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    I can only repeat what I've found in my own game works.
    Make sure your sim does their homework.
    Make sure you don't accidentally submit a plagiarized term paper. Edit your sims term paper until you get a pop up that it can't be improved.
    Edit your sims presentation until it can't be improved.
    Turn up to class on time. This is important. The only time I've managed to get a sim lower than an A+ was by being late.
    Have your sim choose 'take notes' at every class.

I never bother buying the study books or having my sims study. Other people have said they feel skill gain effects your grade but I personally have had no issue whether my sim is brand new no skills at the start, or max skilled already. So you may want to try to squeeze this in just in case.

I don't even see an option to take notes while attending class. How do you do that?
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    @StevieJohn88 While your sim is at class click on the little icon on their image and you'll get several options, from taking notes to sleep in class. It's just like the 'work hard' etc options when your sim is at work or school
    CelSims wrote: »
    @StevieJohn88 While your sim is at class click on the little icon on their image and you'll get several options, from taking notes to sleep in class. It's just like the 'work hard' etc options when your sim is at work or school

I never knew that option existed. Never used it. And still got straight A's. (Once when I accidentally hit the plagiarized option, was put on academic probation and still got an "A", go figure...)

It might make it a little easier but it's not required.
  • QueenieVeeQueenieVee Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm honestly surprised & irritated that there isnt a university forum for sending students to class "cheat." Seriously, how isnt this a simple-fix glitch? The major programming is already there & it just seems like pure laziness that they (EA & Maxis) havent fixed this yet.