Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The bright blue screen is NOT good for people with epilepsy or neurological disorders!

LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
I honestly have no idea what they were thinking, but clearly they weren't thinking about players who might have epilepsy or some kind of neurological disorder (like autism). These new colors can easily send someone with one of these disorders into a seizure or sensory overload.

Of course, not everyone is the same... but still. The developers really need to reconsider this. They should at least allow us to have an option to choose whether or not we want the new style VS old style. People with disorders or medical conditions shouldn't have to deal with possibly going through one of these events every time they play a game they love.
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The game could cause that before the patch. There was even an epilepsy warning on the physical boxes.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Although I have neither, I do have really bad eyesight and even staring at the color schemes of these new screens gives me some harsh migraines, and I don't experience migraines very often. After some time not looking at them, the migraines dissipate.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • VuloriVulori Posts: 94 Member
    I have a problem with the start up screen and loading screen specifically. The bright colors and new plumbob movement was enough to give me a headache and make me feel sick. I tried to play, but every time that loading screen popped up I just couldn't handle it. At this point, I will not be playing sims 4 until the loading screen is changed.

I'm not happy about this change because now I have a problem I didn't before and it means that the stuff I already purchased has suddenly become something that I can't handle. I really don't care about the rebranding that much, only that the change in loading screen design was enough to literally put me off from the game because otherwise I develop a horrible migraine.

I don't have a history of epilepsy or anything, but I do have a problem with overly bright colors and lots of movement. Nor am I one to frequently get migraines.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited July 2019
    I do suffer from migraines... And while I prefer to get the white loading screens looks, this blue is actually a lot easier on my eyes. I remember lots of other people having issues with the white screen as well. Unfortunately different things trigger different people and so there's probably not anything that they can do to prevent that for everyone.

The health of the player is the responsibility of the players and not ea. A helpful tip is to look away during loading screens, everyone's eyes need a break anyway so it's a great time to take that break. And when not loading, it's advisable to look away from the screen at least every 20 minutes and give your eyes a minute or two break. Turning your monitor brightness down may help too
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I do suffer from migraines... And while I prefer to get the white loading screens looks, this blue is actually a lot easier on my eyes. I remember lots of other people having issues with the white screen as well. Unfortunately different things trigger different people and so there's probably not anything that they can do to prevent that for everyone.

The health of the player is the responsibility of the players and not ea. A helpful tip is to look away during loading screens, everyone's eyes need a break anyway so it's a great time to take that break. And when not loading, it's advisable to look away from the screen at least every 20 minutes and give your eyes a minute or two break

Then the best decision they can probably do is give us the option between each style... if some players want the blue, then they can have that. But, if other players decide they want the original white style, they can choose that as well.

I don't think anyone should have to give up a game they love.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

The health of the player is the responsibility of the players and not ea. A helpful tip is to look away during loading screens, everyone's eyes need a break anyway so it's a great time to take that break. And when not loading, it's advisable to look away from the screen at least every 20 minutes and give your eyes a minute or two break

Then the best decision they can probably do is give us the option between each style... if some players want the blue, then they can have that. But, if other players decide they want the original white style, they can choose that as well.

Yes having an option would be wonderful. And it wouldn't have to be limited to just two colors my opinion. No clue if that would be feasible at some point in the future or not.
    Until that point it would be best just not look at the loading screen if it's causing an issue. Hit the load button and walk away for a couple minutes or however long it takes your game to load
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

You hit the nail right on the head @Lustianicia ...Could not have said that any better. Thank you,
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i'm on the autism spectrum and yeah... the new main menu screen is not my favourite. i liked it the way it was before: simple, with softer colours. nicer to look at. the blue in the new one is just too much and overall it's really a step down from the previous main menu screen. an option to change the colours is a fantastic idea

while of course i don't speak for everyone on the spectrum, for me personally, yeah, it's a small problem, but i'll just have to get used to it. i'm lucky; i can see myself adapting to it over time but i can also see how it wouldn't be so easy for someone else on the spectrum, or, like OP said, someone with epilepsy

lastly: thank you for bringing this up @Lustianicia, not a lot of people acknowledge these things, and it means a lot that you did :)
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • AntonAnton Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2019
    I’m on the autism spectrum and I think it’s actually more common for autistics to seek for bright colors like the blue. The bright blue color is so pleasing to me, actually. I didn’t like the white screen.
    However, because the sensory problems are different in each individual, I can see it causing anxiety to some people.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    What gets me is that they've had complaints about loading screens in the past, like with how they had to add the grey plumbobs to the white screens, so you think they'd know not to go with the whole "solid bright fill" option. They literally repeated a mistake they'd already gotten backlash for previously.

I'm really not keen on playing until the loading screens are addressed. I can handle the main menu, as unappealing and less organised as it is, but the loading screens really give me a kick in the head. The new lineup of poster Sims is fine and all but that camera flash constantly repeating gets a bit iffy too.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • CeltianaCeltiana Posts: 13 New Member
    I have epilepsy and migraines .. the loading screen is ok, it is when it gets to the selection screen that it is a bit of a problem but I can tolerate it.. It does look messy though, I'd prefer it if they would clear it up a bit (to me it's like when your icons get all mashed up on windows desktop)
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I, too am on the spectrum, but I actually don’t have issues with the colours. I still think we should have a choice when it comes to colours so that the game is more accessible to people who have these issues.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Celtiana wrote: »
    I have epilepsy and migraines .. the loading screen is ok, it is when it gets to the selection screen that it is a bit of a problem but I can tolerate it.. It does look messy though, I'd prefer it if they would clear it up a bit (to me it's like when your icons get all mashed up on windows desktop)

Such an accurate description of the main menu.
    As far the new loading screen and main menu colors I did see a tweet that they are aware of the issues with the color and the team is discussing solutions. They know it’s causing problems in other words. And although they should have done better research it’s not like they did this intentionally knowing it would cause issues. I’m general this is a worse color than the white ever seemed to be as far as causing problems for some playing but they were probably just trying to go back to the classic sims blue loading screen. It’s just a bit much for some.

The blue is actually easier for me as well. I have really sensitive eyes to bright whites and get headaches easily. Although neither has caused headaches exactly I did have to look away more with the white than the new blue. My eyes hurt with both eventually but the white was worse. But yes they should give an option to revert to white for those that want or need it. Or even a darker blue which would be better all around in my opinion.
  • Jonathan777Jonathan777 Posts: 170 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have several visual impairments meaning bright colours and contrast affect my eyesight quite badly, I do get headaches if the colours are too bright so I hate this new update completely, the colours are terrible.
    oNPKztK.jpg
    LOVE IS LOVE - Gilbert and Bruno Ferro
    He/They
  • Mo0nLight321Mo0nLight321 Posts: 428 Member
    It's funny how they tried to "research" people with disabilities and make the game more enjoyable for them(represent them in the game) and yet they do this. It's pure stupidity in my opinion.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    They are very aware of this. Using certain colors that benefit them in all kinds of ways is used everywhere.
    Besides; videogames, internet, radiation, 5G are all very bad for our health. They know it. There are many other ways for having it all and still stay healthy, but the world has been build on this system for the benefits of it's claimers.

This does not say anything against your thread of course. Just wanted to point that out. I am happy people still have knowledge about this and do not just take things as they are. I remember the old games had a giant warning in the box saying that you should not play longer than 30 min. I try to set my alarm and take a break every 30 min. If I play hours after each other, I feel so bad and get sick.
    I had multiple radiation exposes recently, so this game effects me very badly already.
    I hope people will be careful with anything related in this matter and never forget the harm of it.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Perhaps they should provide a color wheel so players can set their own colors. They could then take that color wheel and add it to CAS and Build/Buy Mode. Just a thought... ;)
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Don’t stare at the loading screen. It is a little bright but I do like the blue background. They can probably tweak it a tad as they did before, but I don’t have to fix my eyes on it either.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I agree. I suffer from migraines a lot, and even the change to the plumbob on the desktop icon has triggered dizziness, nausea and literal eye pain - I've had to hide the icon in a separate folder on my desktop now, just so I don't have to look at it every time I use my pc.
    I know The Sims team can't always create everything that everyone wants, or change things just for a few people. But this is the first issue that had an actual physical impact on me, and it sounds like quite a few other people. I haven't started the game up yet since the update, but if the plumbob is the same now in game as it is on the desktop startup icon, I wont be able to play any more - and I've been playing since TS1, and its a huge part of my life.

I know people who don't suffer from these things don't really see why people are complaining. But for people who do, it's a real physical pain, that should have been researched properly before introducing it into the game. It's like being injured every time you even glance at the screen. Maybe that could help people to understand the seriousness of it more. It's not that we don't like it (I mean, I don't but hey), it's that it physically induces pain and nausea, which just isn't acceptable.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi all, I suffer from migraines and the new redesign down to the new plumbob icon on my desktop link, is causing migraines, headaches, nausea and dizziness. It's not about liking or not liking the redesign, it's about the developers and designers making changes that are causing very real physical health problems for some of us.

I think it really needs addressing, and that we really need to give clear feedback. I have read a lot from people who also are suffering migraines and issues with light sensitivity. I have started a thread with Answer HQ to hopefully try and get them to seriously consider the impact of this choice of design on the physical health of it's loyal buyers. Please add your comments to the link below, so they can see what a serious issue this is.
    Hopefully if they can see that it's a physical issue, then they might understand that it will impact on the new players that they are trying to attract too (if they can see an economic reason to fix it, maybe they'll actually change it). I'd really like your support on the link below:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Migraines-from-redesign/m-p/8029225#M14261
  • NeverBirdNeverBird Posts: 17 Member
    Just went and picked ''me too'' hope it helps a bit.. I have the same issue... Thanks for this post!
    tumblr_ou0vobCmeH1s7rf3bo1_400.gif
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I'm very glad they changed that initial loading screen from the stark white to the gentle light gray/blue one we had up until this patch. I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm a few years back and take seizure medication twice a day to stave off a seizure. I've only played the game once, since the change. I suffered no ill effects, thankfully, but I do appreciate how it could harm some. As to why these changes were made? All I can do is quote Dr. McCoy from Star Trek: "You know Engineers, how they love to change things."

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    asimbsim wrote: »
    Hi all, I suffer from migraines and the new redesign down to the new plumbob icon on my desktop link, is causing migraines, headaches, nausea and dizziness. It's not about liking or not liking the redesign, it's about the developers and designers making changes that are causing very real physical health problems for some of us.

I think it really needs addressing, and that we really need to give clear feedback. I have read a lot from people who also are suffering migraines and issues with light sensitivity. I have started a thread with Answer HQ to hopefully try and get them to seriously consider the impact of this choice of design on the physical health of it's loyal buyers. Please add your comments to the link below, so they can see what a serious issue this is.
    Hopefully if they can see that it's a physical issue, then they might understand that it will impact on the new players that they are trying to attract too (if they can see an economic reason to fix it, maybe they'll actually change it). I'd really like your support on the link below:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Migraines-from-redesign/m-p/8029225#M14261

You mean this little thing? This is giving you a migraine?

4116-C5-F2-83-D3-419-F-B7-E0-FBB7-B502-B4-F1.jpg
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Same here, and the intro video almost giving me migraine as well. Almost..
    ihavemultiplegamertags
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top