Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Lagging for Absolutely No Reason

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    vktaetae wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 1050 and my sims worked pretty alright with my old laptop which had a lot worse graphics etc. I tried reinstalling everything and using my game without mods and it's still lagging right away when I go to CAS.
    @rosemow

Please follow rosemow's instructions to post your computer specs. We need to know if your drivers are updated .You did not answer if you are on laptop or desktop. If your on laptop, you have two video cards. You need to tell the game to use Nvidia. Also some laptops with the 1050 card come with a very small hard drive. Too small a hard drive to game on.It's possible your running out of hard drive space. Posting your computer specs will give us all this info. Thanks
  • vktaetaevktaetae Posts: 18 New Member
    @phoebebebe13 laptop, and it's supposedly a gaming laptop. it works just fine with other games. i have 8gt ram and 7.89 gt free ram space. however i'll post the specs asap. thanks
    @rosemow @phoebebebe13 hope this helps.

h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/4YZ5myNj
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member
    edited April 2018
    @phoebebebe13 laptop, and it's supposedly a gaming laptop. it works just fine with other games. i have 8gt ram and 7.89 gt free ram space. however i'll post the specs asap. thanks

Hello @vktaetae It would be best to post here your DXDiag info when you are able to, and then simmers can check it over and see if they can help you with your lagging issues
    Your laptop may have a small hard drive, which is causing issues. The 8gb relates to the memory size not the hard drive space.
    @rosemow yeah, posted it up there
    @rosemow yeah, posted it up there

https://pastebin.com/4YZ5myNj

Hello @vktaetae
    Try making sure that the game is using your nvidia graphics card
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd/p1

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try starting a new save game and see if the issues are occuring there also.
    > @rosemow said:
    > vktaetae wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow yeah, posted it up there
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > htt.ps://pastebin.com/4YZ5myNj
    >
    > Hello @vktaetae
    > Try making sure that the game is using your nvidia graphics card
    > ht.tp://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd/p1
    >
    > Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game
    >
    > Try starting a new save game and see if the issues are occuring there also.

yes I did all of these just now and there's not much change. the lag is a tiny tiny bit better maybe? not even sure. origin is off, the game is using nvidia card, completely new save did the same thing.
    edited April 2018
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @vktaetae
    > ht.tp://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd/p1
    >
    > Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game
    >

yes I did all of these just now and there's not much change. the lag is a tiny tiny bit better maybe? not even sure. origin is off, the game is using nvidia card, completely new save did the same thing.

Try playing in laptop mode and see if that may help.
    Try seeing if lowering your screen resolution in games option may help.

When @phoebebebe13 comes onto the forums she may also have other suggestions.
    rosemow wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @vktaetae
    >
    >

@rosemow I would ask @DeKay since they play on similar laptop specs.
    rosemow wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @vktaetae
    >
    >

@rosemow I would ask @DeKay since they play on similar laptop specs.

That is good. @DeKay may be able to help you @vktaetae
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,576 Member
    @vktaetae I'm sorry. But I'm not getting any terrible lags in my game. How bad is this lag and is it happening on all lots including small ones? In the game, try turning on v-sync. When you're playing your game, turn on the cheat tab and type in fps on and look at the fps counter at the bottom left and report back here.

My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay it happens in all the lots etc. i have v-sync on.
    here's some fps:

while in world management doing nothing it mostly stuck to 59,17
    in-game paused: 58-60
    zooming in and out paused: further about 43, closer around 49-52
    in-game not paused: mostly around 56-60 drops to 20 and 30 every few seconds though
    while moving around: dropped to 6 and 11 very often
    for ex. waiting for my sim to get up: 14
    for ex. waiting to sit down: 7 and 8 (not every time)
    build/buy mode doing nothing: 58-60
    wall building: around 60
    scrolling through objects: 30
    for ex. changing from counters to oven: 5 and 10
    changing from objects by room to objects by function about 7
    pressing on object/placing: under 20
    cas, clicking on body part: 6,8,11
    hair scrolling: 7 and 8 (but not all the time, every few seconds)
    clothes scrolling: can drop to 6 every few secs
    category change: dropped to around 12 at times
    facial feature changing etc: 30-38

hope these make any sense at all, thank you in advance

@rosemow
    edited April 2018
    The zooming out fps is normal. But you shouldn't be getting fps lower than 10. Do the drops happen when you are turning the camera?

I will check in my game tomorrow and pay a closer attention to the fps for the things you listed.

Do you have all the EPs and packs?

I'm really not sure what could be the problem here since you already said you have uninstalled the game. Hmmmm.

Are you playing on full screen mode or windowed mode?
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay no not while turning the camera for example when i'm waiting for my sim to sit i didn't move the camera at all..and in cas i obviously can't move it so yeah..umm
    yes i have all ep's and packs and i play on fullscreen but i play with 1600x900 (i think) which is lower than what i should be able to play with.
    @DeKay no not while turning the camera for example when i'm waiting for my sim to sit i didn't move the camera at all..and in cas i obviously can't move it so yeah..umm
    yes i have all ep's and packs and i play on fullscreen but i play with 1600x900 (i think) which is lower than what i should be able to play with.

Have you tried playing it on 1920x1080?
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay hello, I just started my game again and I changed the thing from 60 to default and it kept showing me fps about 30 all the time, it didn't lag as much anymore and it seemed a lot better now. I wonder if it's gonna change when I play again...I'll try soon, but, the reason I don't play on 1920x1080 is because it makes the screen so small so it's hard to see haha. anyway I'll try changing it if it lags again when I open the game. I'll get back to you soon. thanks :smile:
    @vktaetae Do you have an HDMI cord and a flat screen TV that is 1080p? You can hook your laptop up to a TV and game on a larger screen to where you can read 1080p. I do that ;)
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    A bit off topic, but @phoebebebe13 seeing your last text gave me a brilliant idea. Can you hook a wireless keyboard up to a laptop, wireless mouse, hook the laptop to a tv with HDMI and close the laptop but continue to play on the tv, keyboard, and mouse?

I know this sounds very simple but I don't want to go thru all the steps of buying all this if when you close the laptop it shuts the game or laptop down. Plus, I've never used a wireless keyboard on a laptop, not sure if that is possible.
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited April 2018
    @ChelleJo I use the laptop keyboard with a wireless mouse. My laptop would not except an external keyboard and there was no way for me to turn off the laptop keyboard. It would cause issues and not function properly with an external keyboard. I don't know if all laptops would have this same issue. I would leave my laptop open but put it to the side while hooked up to the TV and use the wireless mouse. . I don't use a keyboard with the sims unless I need to type cheats or fix something.
    @ChelleJo I use the laptop keyboard with a wireless mouse. My laptop would not except an external keyboard and there was no way for me to turn off the laptop keyboard. It would cause issues and not function properly with an external keyboard. I don't know if all laptops would have this same issue. I would leave my laptop open but put it to the side while hooked up to the TV and use the wireless mouse. . I don't use a keyboard with the sims unless I need to type cheats or fix something.

Thanks, @phoebebebe13. I'll just get an inexpensive wireless keyboard to test then. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited April 2018
    @ChelleJo Your welcome. I forget if you have a desktop but I do use wireless keyboard and mouse with a tower hooked up to the TV. If the wireless keyboard does not work with a laptop , it will work with a desktop hooked up to the TV
    @ChelleJo Your welcome. I forget if you have a desktop but I do use wireless keyboard and mouse with a tower hooked up to the TV. If the wireless keyboard does not work with a laptop , it will work with a desktop hooked up to the TV

I do have a desktop, but I wasn't asking for it. I have it connected to my dual monitors. I was thinking, I have a decent size tv in my bedroom, where I've been taking my laptop in the evening to play sims at night to give my legs a break from being at my desk all day. I figured, if I could just hook my laptop to my tv, then I'd have a bigger screen to play on. ;)
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited April 2018
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I do have a desktop, but I wasn't asking for it. I have it connected to my dual monitors. I was thinking, I have a decent size tv in my bedroom, where I've been taking my laptop in the evening to play sims at night to give my legs a break from being at my desk all day. I figured, if I could just hook my laptop to my tv, then I'd have a bigger screen to play on. ;)

@ChelleJo Good idea. ;) I was just saying you could get use out of the wireless keyboard if it happens to not work with your laptop. This way you don't waste money should the keyboard not work on the laptop. I don't know how well a wireless keyboard will work for heavy gaming but for the sims it's fine.
    hello, my game is still lagging..it was working better at few points but the lag never really went away..:/ it's so annoying and sims 3 has never worked without major lagging on this laptop. is it too new for sims 3 or something? but mainly sims 4 is the reason i'm annoyed and it really frustrates me 'cause i can't play how and when i want to...