Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Lagging for Absolutely No Reason

Comments

• dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited March 2016
    @dekay @phoebebebe13 I have an msi laptop. I just googled the particular model with the word "recall" in there and nothing came up except for links to purchase the laptop from like amazon and stuff.

The other day after my frame-rate was stuck around 1, I opened and closed the game a few times. The second time, it was back and forth between 9 and 15 consistently. I really notice the lag when it hits 6, so since it never dropped quite that low it was playable. The motion wasn't totally fluid but it was pretty good even for such low numbers! I closed it again after a little bit and then opened it again at one point in the afternoon. At this point it was consistent around 20-30 and didn't drop into the single digits at all. I played for quite a while cause I was afraid if I exited the game it wouldn't be running so smoothly when I opened it back up. Since then I've been in and out of the game and it's performed the exact same and I still haven't experienced any lag. I only had the saves folder back in for a while, then I recently added back in my mods folder and it's still running perfectly fine. I'm hesitant to add back in the tray now cause I've somehow got myself super nervous thinking it will end up ruining all the progress permanently. Don't know why though lol

I don't wanna jump get my hopes up too much, cause I know this is probably the 3rd time I've responded to you guys thinking the game was fixed, but I'm really thinking that this time is different! I think it has to do with the battery, which is still working really weird but doing the job somehow? I think because the battery on the charger is so small it can't charge my computer fast enough when it's on to make the percentage rise. When my laptop is off, the battery charges fine, but once its on the charger can only manage to prevent the battery from draining. It also only sometimes shows the charging symbol next to the little battery icon on the corner of my screen. Here are some screenshots of what happens when I check on my batter power.

These are the most common results when I open up the battery tab:

2a5hytu.png
    15gvvro.png

And here is the rarest of them all:

2z683g6.png

I really don't understand anything thats happened, like why exactly it started lagging and why it stopped, but I'm assuming it has something to do with how the battery was performing. And I don't understand at all why the batter is acting like that and what is going on with my computer, but it seems to be getting the job done so I don't know if I will end up taking it back to get it checked out. Unless of course any of you recommend doing so. In that case I would most likely go get it checked out. Also, I have no idea why my game seems to average out a frame rate of 30, since you said it should be able to handle more, but I'm just gonna roll with it since I don't even notice the difference unless I have fps on.

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond and help me through this!! I really really appreciate all your help :) Hopefully I don't have to come back on this thread in a few days to tell you guys my game stopped working again. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Almost forgot to tag @rosemow Thank you for your help and lovely attitude :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Something is wrong with your battery if it wont go to 100 and stops charging. I would contact msi . My battery started doing that and went bad.

Well I hope your game is fixed . I would pull my sims 4 folder to desktop before updating, let the game update and put back the sims 4 folder in documents seems to eliminate some issues when updating.

There is something wrong with the fps in this game . It got worse with the sept patch . It may not be your computer at all and just may be the game that ea has to fix.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello.
    I am giad that the lagging issues are going okay and the game is working better.
    If the issues return it may be good take your computer to get it checked over. There also sounds like that there is an issue with the battery.
    I hope that the game continues to work okay.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,595 Member
    Yeah, I had a battery like that too. It didn't charge till 100% but it was also kinda old, so I guess it was just wearing off. You should get it checked.
    Have you tried removing your battery and see if it the game works better? I'm not too sure what exact model of MSI you have but I believe their batteries are very easy to remove as you don't have to unscrew anything. You just flip it and you will see the battery compartment.
    Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UoVTGubpVY

And for your FPS, I can see that you have your power options to Battery Saver. Try changing it to "Balance". That should increase the FPS. There's not really a need for you to use the battery saver option since your laptop is plugged in anyway. But you can just try it out first to see if there is any difference.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ArredoxxArredoxx Posts: 1 New Member
    Exit the sims game, go into the folder documents click on electronic arts, go to the sims 4 and you'll have a cache folder click on that folder and delete everything in it. Then go back and delete localcahepackage.. I had the same issue but once I did this is stopped.
  • DJraxDJrax Posts: 50 Member
    I have been having lag too. Although, I have a feeling of what it might be...
    DJrax wrote: »
    I have been having lag too. Although, I have a feeling of what it might be...

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having lagging .There are a few things to do to try to see if they may help with your issues.

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Lower your graphics settings and see if that helps.
    Check to make sure that your graphics drivers are up todate

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder

Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if one of the modes helps the lagging issues more than the other
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps.

If your sims live in San Myshuno, try moving them to another world

Move the screenshots folder to the desktop and see if that may help.
  • DP68DP68 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @DeKay said:
    > dafadolly wrote: »
    >
    > phoebebebe13 wrote: »
    >
    > dafadolly wrote: »
    >
    > @rosemow @dekay I finished uninstalling and reinstalling and it seems to have helped a little. I started a new save and placed the sim on an empty lot (still haven't added back in my saves, tray, or mods folders) and it's only lagged a few times between 8 and 12pm (sim time) not sure if this will stay or revert back to how it was before, but it's at least playable for me at this level.
    >
    > And thank you for responding @phoebebebe13 I haven't tried opening any other game since this problem started. I'm going to try opening another game unrelated to sims and see if it lags too. And then maybe I'll try sims 3 too and see how it works :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Is your sims 3 added to your nvidia control panel? You need to add the game to nvidia control panel and use vsync. let me know if you need help doing that but do test other games.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes I have both ts4.exe and ts4_x64.exe set to use the nvidia card. I have no idea what you mean by using vsync though, could you please explain?
    >
    > And I tried to test the only other non-sims game I currently have on my laptop last night and it didn't work. The game is Alice Madness Returns and I haven't played it in over a year and half. I started it up and clicked enter to start the game but it just froze. I had to restart my laptop to get out of it. Not sure if it had to do with the fact that I use windows 10 now, but I'll try the game again. Do you think these issues could be connected?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Okay, do take note of the fps in your game. :)
    >
    > It also sounds like you might have a hardware issue there since your other game didn't open at all.
    >
    > Did you upgrade from another OS to Windows 10 or did you do a fresh install? If you upgraded to it, did you download the Windows 10 version of your Nvidia driver?

THIS.

I am bumping this old thread to help anyone searching (or, this could be common knowledge by now, idk) for lag issues. My wife tried all the suggestions I found here and nothing helped her... Until I saw the comment above.

Turns out, her graphics card driver didnt update properly after a windows update... Killing her Sims4 game.

It took a bit of work to get it updated (find your display adapter in device manager) and google how to update it, is my laymen attempt to guide anyone that finds this. We fixed it, and are back to playing smoothly. FYI
    edited December 2017
  • taliasue101taliasue101 Posts: 1 New Member
    One thing that worked extremely well for me when it started to lag was turning off the Retina display in game options > display. Unfortunately, this did drastically lower the quality of the graphics, but the lag was completely gone. You may be able to change things in the quality section of the game options while Retina is off and not have it start lagging. Hopefully this helped you and made sense.
    One thing that worked extremely well for me when it started to lag was turning off the Retina display in game options > display. Unfortunately, this did drastically lower the quality of the graphics, but the lag was completely gone. You may be able to change things in the quality section of the game options while Retina is off and not have it start lagging. Hopefully this helped you and made sense.

Hello
    Welcome to the forums :) It is thoughtful of you to post for Mac simmers what helped you in your game.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    My TS4 lags, like a lot 10fps or something, everytime I open the gallery. It's crazy.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    My TS4 lags, like a lot 10fps or something, everytime I open the gallery. It's crazy.

Hello
    If you are playing in full screen mode, try using windowed mode when opening the gallery and see if that helps,
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    If you are playing in full screen mode, try using windowed mode when opening the gallery and see if that helps,

I'll try that the next time thanks. It weird because it only happens when I have the gallery opened.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello

I'll try that the next time thanks. It weird because it only happens when I have the gallery opened.

You’re welcome :)
  • vktaetaevktaetae Posts: 18 New Member
    Hello, I'm having this exact problem, I've tried all of these..obviously turning off my pc, tried vsync, tried the 60 fps thing, moving mods and cc etcetc stuff mentioned above. I have Nvidia geforce gtx 1020. Nothing has worked so far and it keeps lagging for me from the second I go into a lot or cas. Someone help, please. This is making the game unbearable for me. Thanks :'(
    edited April 2018
    vktaetae wrote: »
    Hello, I'm having this exact problem, I've tried all of these..obviously turning off my pc, tried vsync, tried the 60 fps thing, moving mods and cc etcetc stuff mentioned above. I have Nvidia geforce gtx 1020. Nothing has worked so far and it keeps lagging for me from the second I go into a lot or cas. Someone help, please. This is making the game unbearable for me. Thanks :'(

Hello @vktaetae
    Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate . Try playing in windowed mode and see if that helps.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try resetting your sims 4 folder, starting a new save game file, and testing to see if it occurs there also . To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

Check in windows update that your computer is updated.

@vktaetae 1020 ?? the 1000 series Nvidia cards start at 1030 .Do you know your make and model computer?
    Hello @vktaetae
    If the issues remain after doing the above things, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site. You will need to replace the http in the address with h.t.t.p as you are a new member and can’t post links.
    @phoebebebe13 yes i meant 1030..
    @rosemow i have already tried everything except the last thing so i'll try that and come back. thank you for the answer
    @phoebebebe13 yes i meant 1030..
    @rosemow i have already tried everything except the last thing so i'll try that and come back. thank you for the answer
    Hello @vktaetae
    If the issues remain, it would be best to post your DXDiag info here in this thread. There is information about how to do that in the above post
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16416183/#Comment_16416183
    > @vktaetae said:
    > @phoebebebe13 yes i meant 1030..
    > @rosemow i have already tried everything except the last thing so i'll try that and come back. thank you for the answer

okay i honestly can't do anything right....it's Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 2GB GDDR5
    > @vktaetae said:
    > @phoebebebe13 yes i meant 1030..
    > @rosemow i have already tried everything except the last thing so i'll try that and come back. thank you for the answer

okay i honestly can't do anything right....it's Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 2GB GDDR5

You have a 1030 or a 1050 card? The 1030 card is under recommended requirements. The 1050 card meets recommended requirements

Are you on laptop or desktop?
    @phoebebebe13 1050 and my sims worked pretty alright with my old laptop which had a lot worse graphics etc. I tried reinstalling everything and using my game without mods and it's still lagging right away when I go to CAS.
    @rosemow
    @phoebebebe13 1050 and my sims worked pretty alright with my old laptop which had a lot worse graphics etc. I tried reinstalling everything and using my game without mods and it's still lagging right away when I go to CAS.
    @rosemow

Hello @vktaetae
    Could you please post your DXDiag info here in this thread. There is information about how to do that in the above post
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16416183/#Comment_16416183