The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Lagging for Absolutely No Reason

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @dafadolly some laptops dont have the option for adaptive so use "ON" option if there is no adaptive

with the sims 3 you must add the game to nvidia control panel and use vsync before starting up your game. The game has no fps limiter and the game has the potential to overheat your card without vsync. You must be in full screen for vsync to work
  • dafadollydafadolly Posts: 1,215 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Just went into sims 3 but forgot to change the settings. I decided test it out anyway and checked the fps while I was there. It was about the same as sims 4. It stuck around 20-30 and occasionally dropped to 5-15 when I was turning the camera. For some reason though I didn't really notice it like I do in sims 4. It didn't really feel like it was lagging so I was kinda suprised that the numbers were the same as they are in sims 4.

Also, in sims 3 I have all the settings on the highest except reflections which is set to mirrors & water, and high detail lots which is set to 3 (I think)
    @dafadolly some laptops dont have the option for adaptive so use "ON" option if there is no adaptive

with the sims 3 you must add the game to nvidia control panel and use vsync before starting up your game. The game has no fps limiter and the game has the potential to overheat your card without vsync. You must be in full screen for vsync to work

I already have sims 3 set to use the nvidia card but I will set it to use vsync also :)
    dafadolly wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 Just went into sims 3 but forgot to change the settings. I decided test it out anyway and checked the fps while I was there. It was about the same as sims 4. It stuck around 20-30 and occasionally dropped to 5-15 when I was turning the camera. For some reason though I didn't really notice it like I do in sims 4. It didn't really feel like it was lagging so I was kinda suprised that the numbers were the same as they are in sims 4.

Also, in sims 3 I have all the settings on the highest except reflections which is set to mirrors & water, and high detail lots which is set to 3 (I think)

with the sims 3 and 4 it maybe running on your intel card why you need to add the sims 3 and 4 to control panel. My GTX 770m gets a sold 60 fps on TS3 . I keep most of my settings on high accept lot details and water. I only do ultra if I take pics but not while playing and I dont have pets installed on my laptop. Pets can be a killer. I dont have a lot of cc either.

with the sims 3 and 4 it maybe running on your intel card why you need to add the sims 3 and 4 to control panel. My GTX 770m gets a sold 60 fps on TS3 . I keep most of my settings on high accept lot details and water. I only do ultra if I take pics but not while playing and I dont have pets installed on my laptop. Pets can be a killer. I dont have a lot of cc either.

I have all the executables for the sims 4 and the sims 3 set to use High-performance Nvidia Processor in the Nvidia control panel. And I don't think I have any cc in sims 3 except hair since I deleted all my merged files of cc (I used to have a ton) when I stopped playing it regularly. I only just recently loaded it up and started a new save to test out all the features from the expansion packs that I never used. In the sims 4 I use quite a bit of cc, but I currently have the mods, saves, and tray folder all stored somewhere else while I'm testing the lag since I don't want them to interfere with it. And I do have pets installed on the sims 3 but I don't really notice too much in that game.

I have all the executables for the sims 4 and the sims 3 set to use High-performance Nvidia Processor in the Nvidia control panel. And I don't think I have any cc in sims 3 except hair since I deleted all my merged files of cc (I used to have a ton) when I stopped playing it regularly. I only just recently loaded it up and started a new save to test out all the features from the expansion packs that I never used. In the sims 4 I use quite a bit of cc, but I currently have the mods, saves, and tray folder all stored somewhere else while I'm testing the lag since I don't want them to interfere with it. And I do have pets installed on the sims 3 but I don't really notice too much in that game.

If vsync is not working for you you may have to force it . look at chesterbigbird's post in this tread http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/861983/v-sync-does-not-work-in-limiting-my-fps-help#latest
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    [...]

I turned off vsync after my most recent test in game... Maybe that's why the adaptive option doesn't show up?

What is your refresh rate setting in TS4? Can you set it to 60 and see if that helps? You can look at it under graphics settings in game options. I think it's the checkbox above Vsync.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    DeKay wrote: »
    [...]

I turned off vsync after my most recent test in game... Maybe that's why the adaptive option doesn't show up?

What is your refresh rate setting in TS4? Can you set it to 60 and see if that helps? You can look at it under graphics settings in game options. I think it's the checkbox above Vsync.

I am honestly so shocked right now because so far this seems to have fixed it. My refresh rate was set at default and when I clicked to set it as 60 the game froze right there and I had to restart my laptop to get it to close since I was in fullscreen (probably the 10th time I've restarted today lol). But when I started up my laptop I opened up task manager first thing, noticed that my disk was at 100% and got a little scared, so I waited a few minutes to see if it would drop before I opened sims but it wouldn't budge so I opened it up anyway. As soon as it loaded I checked the settings and luckily it saved the refresh rate before I restarted my laptop. Then I just started a new game and went to test it. It's run completely smooth! I played almost an entire sim day just to make sure it wouldn't lag and lucky enough it didn't :) I had the fps on and it stuck around 15-30 to the entire time but never lagged. I'm assuming my laptop just runs the sims like that but I don't mind cause I would never notice it without the fps on. Not sure if this has to do with the vsync being on too, or maybe that restart magically fixed what was wrong, but the problem is solved! Most likely due to the refresh rate settings though :) Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully this persists and doesn't start to lag again when I add back in the saves, tray, and mods folder. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high but I can't help it!

Also sorry for the weirdly detailed description! I will update you all to see if it still works when I add back in the other folders

@phoebebebe13 @rosemow
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    My lag seems to have stopped, finally. I turned the in game chat off as well cleared all my origin caches and the game's cache (even though I had JUST installed the Sims 4). I even turned all my setting to low and render to low as well. And it was running really well. Then I raised, one by one, the render, Sim quality, and Object quality (the only things I really care about looking pretty in my game) and it's still running smoothly.

I do hope the OP manages to fix her problem :\ but thanks for the suggestions, they helped~
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    My lag seems to have stopped, finally. I turned the in game chat off as well cleared all my origin caches and the game's cache (even though I had JUST installed the Sims 4). I even turned all my setting to low and render to low as well. And it was running really well. Then I raised, one by one, the render, Sim quality, and Object quality (the only things I really care about looking pretty in my game) and it's still running smoothly.

I do hope the OP manages to fix her problem :\ but thanks for the suggestions, they helped~

Hello @ByondTime89 .
    I am glad that your lagging has stopped. That is great! :)
    @dafadolly:

That's really awesome to hear that you don't notice the lag anymore. :) I hope it will work for your old saves as well. Good luck.
    832XG3D.gif
    @dekay @rosemow it only lasted for a little while :( It's back now. Do you guys know of any thing that's meant to increase your fps?
    @dekay @rosemow it only lasted for a little while :( It's back now. Do you guys know of any thing that's meant to increase your fps?
    I am sorry that your issues have returned. @chesterbigbird may be able to help.
    edited March 2016
    dekay rosemow it only lasted for a little while :( It's back now. Do you guys know of any thing that's meant to increase your fps?

Is it back on your old save or also the test save?

Well, the few ways to increase your fps is to lower your graphic settings, or change your computer power plan to "performance" instead of "balance". Since you're playing it on laptop, remember to plug it in while playing and not on battery. The fps is really slow on battery (it's around 20-30 for mine if I play on battery and not adapter). The fps is usually tied to your processor (CPU). But your processor is supposed to be able to handle this game well. I have a similar CPU to you but mine is a 4720HQ. So, in your case, it should not be a CPU problem unless the hardware itself is faulty.

There was another simmer who had some freezing issue and found out their RAM was defective: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/879109/not-always-the-graphics-card#latest

There's no other reasons to why you're getting this fps problem that I can think of. You might have to bring your computer to a shop and let them check it, if you want.
    832XG3D.gif
    edited March 2016
    @dekay I was thinking about getting my computer checked out! I wouldn't know where to go though as I've never had to do this.

As for all the recommendations to increase my fps, I'll try them out. I personally never use my laptop unless it's plugged in because the battery tends to drain pretty fast. I'm starting to think maybe it is a problem with my laptop. I'm gonna try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game one last time though. Last time I did it I didn't do it with a fresh sims 4 folder so I'm wondering if that could matter?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the save I was using today is one I made last night. It has no mods or cc (took the whole folder out before I started). I also have the tray folder waiting on my desktop until I want to put it back in. I might try taking out the saves again and see if it magically fixes the game...

I'm glad your lag went away :) Would you mind listing which caches you deleted for origin and the game? I want to try removing mine too and see if it helps
    edited March 2016
    @dekay I was thinking about getting my computer checked out! I wouldn't know where to go though as I've never had to do this.

As for all the recommendations to increase my fps, I'll try them out. I personally never use my laptop unless it's plugged in because the battery tends to drain pretty fast. I'm starting to think maybe it is a problem with my laptop. I'm gonna try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game one last time though. Last time I did it I didn't do it with a fresh sims 4 folder so I'm wondering if that could matter?

Hello.
    I hope that the complete uninstalling and reinstalling of your game and starting with a fresh sims 4 folder will help the issues.

The caches that ByondTime89 would have removed are in these links,
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files/
    The cache files in the first link will be already removed if you have a fresh sims 4 folder after uninstalling / reinstalling the game.
    I think your should get your computer checked if reinstalling doesn't help.

Uninstall your game first.

Remove your Origin cache, and then uninstall Origin. http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files/

Reinstall Origin again,

and finally install your game.
    832XG3D.gif
    Try reinstalling your graphics driver

Download the newest driver and save file http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Disconnect from the internet and uninstall your current driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

reinstall the driver you saved and reconnect to the internet

Remove your Origin cache, and then uninstall Origin. http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files/

Reinstall Origin again,

I did this but nothing changed from what I remember. But yesterday I had the game open and noticed something smelled weird, so I unplugged my charger and saw that it had this brown ring on the metal tip and it wouldn't work afterwords. I took the laptop and charger to best buy today to see if it was the charger that broke or if there was a problem with my laptop but they guy wasn't very thorough. He tested my charger with the red/black wire thing and said it was working (also said it probably short circuited) but he didn't try and see if there was a problem with my computer. He told me to go get a universal charger just in case. I bought a universal charger, have it plugged in right now, and when I check the little battery tab in the bottom right corner its very unsure. I says it has 0 minutes left but that the battery is at 24%. It also doesn't register that it's charging even though the guy said there's nothing wrong with my charger port or whatever its called? The place where you plug the charger in? But yeah my battery doesnt seem to register that it's charging because it will add the little plugin symbol next to the battery for a split second and then it's not there for the rest of the time. I probably should have been more vocal with the guy and asked him to look more into it but I wasn't sure and just did what he said :( I'm thinking there might be a problem with my actual battery? When I was there he plugged in the charger and the light came on, but the computer itself wouldnt turn back on. When I got home I tried to turn the laptop back on twice and both times it started to turn back on, then it would completely shut down all of a sudden. I started a third time and it said something like the computer didn't shut down right the last time and that it was troubleshooting. I'm not 100% sure but it asked if I wanted to just restart it or if I wanted to use the advanced options and I had it just restart. Also, first thing I did was start up my game, and my fps was consistent at like 1.5. It was awful. I'm gonna start the game up again and hopefully it's not the same.

Should I take it back to get my laptop checked out? And do you recommend going back to best buy or going somewhere else? I thought this whole problem might have been linked to the battery so I wasn't as persistent in getting the guy to check out the rest of my computer but I definitely will be next time just in case.

Also tagging: @phoebebebe13 and @rosemow
    Hello.
    Did you buy your laptop from Best Buy and is it still under warranty? If it is, take it back to Bestbuy or to wherever you bought it and get the tech people to check your laptop over. If it is out of warranty, take it back either to Bestbuy or another computer place and get it looked over. There sounds like there may be something wrong with the hardware, which may be causing your issues.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello.
    I hope that the complete uninstalling and reinstalling of your game and starting with a fresh sims 4 folder will help the issues.

The caches that ByondTime89 would have removed are in these links,
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-origin-cache-files/
    The cache files in the first link will be already removed if you have a fresh sims 4 folder after uninstalling / reinstalling the game.

Yea, these are the one I deleted @dafadolly It seemed to help my game, even while I was playing an old save file with several Sims.

I know someone suggested reinstalling your graphic driver would updating it be any different!?
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
    @dafadolly I'm not too sure what's happening there. I have never used a universal adapter before.
    Is there anyway that you can take out the battery of your laptop? For some models like for HP, you can simply take it out. For others you might have to unscrew it from the back, unless yours is totally built in (like a Macbook for eg.) If you can unscrew the battery from its compartment, then try to use the charger/adapter only on your laptop and see if it turns on. If it doesn't, then that charger won't work on your laptop cuz it doesn't register it at all. I'm going to tag @chesterbigbird since she might be better at helping you out here with hardware issues. :)
    832XG3D.gif

Reinstall Origin again,

I did this but nothing changed from what I remember. But yesterday I had the game open and noticed something smelled weird, so I unplugged my charger and saw that it had this brown ring on the metal tip and it wouldn't work afterwords. I took the laptop and charger to best buy today to see if it was the charger that broke or if there was a problem with my laptop but they guy wasn't very thorough. He tested my charger with the red/black wire thing and said it was working (also said it probably short circuited) but he didn't try and see if there was a problem with my computer. He told me to go get a universal charger just in case. I bought a universal charger, have it plugged in right now, and when I check the little battery tab in the bottom right corner its very unsure. I says it has 0 minutes left but that the battery is at 24%. It also doesn't register that it's charging even though the guy said there's nothing wrong with my charger port or whatever its called? The place where you plug the charger in? But yeah my battery doesnt seem to register that it's charging because it will add the little plugin symbol next to the battery for a split second and then it's not there for the rest of the time. I probably should have been more vocal with the guy and asked him to look more into it but I wasn't sure and just did what he said :( I'm thinking there might be a problem with my actual battery? When I was there he plugged in the charger and the light came on, but the computer itself wouldnt turn back on. When I got home I tried to turn the laptop back on twice and both times it started to turn back on, then it would completely shut down all of a sudden. I started a third time and it said something like the computer didn't shut down right the last time and that it was troubleshooting. I'm not 100% sure but it asked if I wanted to just restart it or if I wanted to use the advanced options and I had it just restart. Also, first thing I did was start up my game, and my fps was consistent at like 1.5. It was awful. I'm gonna start the game up again and hopefully it's not the same.

Should I take it back to get my laptop checked out? And do you recommend going back to best buy or going somewhere else? I thought this whole problem might have been linked to the battery so I wasn't as persistent in getting the guy to check out the rest of my computer but I definitely will be next time just in case.

Also tagging: @phoebebebe13 and @rosemow

Do you have an asus by an chance? I do and cant leave my battery in the laptop while plugged in or the battery will short out. I know HP also had a recall on some of their laptop chargers. I would check with your laptop manufacturer for any recalls and have your laptop checked out