Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Want to See More Sims of Colour in The Sims 4 and More Improved Racial Demographic

I love the Sims franchise and have been a long customer, supporter and player. What most bothers me by the Sims franchise and the Sims games is the uneven dispersal of SOC (Sims of Colour). No way is the Sims world supposed to relate to real life in a political sense, as it's far too perfect and ideal (which myself and I'm sure others love because who doesn't want that in game? Who wants real life struggles in the Sims?) so why do light skinned Sims habituate most of the towns populous? Is the Sims creators trying to relate to some real life countries racial demographic (but deciding to leave out other demographics like politics, rules, cultural clothing ect.)? Why are the Sims games using this light skinned supremacist ideal and not including a fair dispersal of skin tones, as I just see a disturbing amount of light coloured Sims in these towns that we consider perfect and ideal? Does anyone else find this problematic--it suggests to me that a town with an even dispersal of varied skin tones cannot sustain a good non-corrupt living environment? Is this game just feeding to real life white supremacist ideals, that light skinned populated areas are the best to live in?

I would like and expect to see a large demographic of varied skin tones which is even and non-discriminatory. No 60% light skinned and 40% other colours which we see so much of. I would like to see an even amount of colours like the demographics of Brazil for eg. as I feel like the towns and game overall is marketed towards white people which is discriminatory as the Sims games are bought all over the world and by a large racial demographic. I am interested to hear other peoples opinions on this (educated and NON-RACIST OR DISCRIMINATORY OPINIONS, thank you)

Comments

• TheHellerSweetieTheHellerSweetie Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2014
    Good.. so that's not just me :3

Anyway, I really do agree with you. But that's just on the level where I'm a bit concerned about the lack of diversity in a lot of towns.

The townies seem to go from pale white to a tan, almost like Hispanic and that's how far they go. After that, I'm not seeing other races like black and brown people... even Asians.

I'm not trying to say that some sims should typically walk around looking like Tupac or Jackie Chan, but it would be nice to visibly see different ethnicities in town.

EDT: To add, there really isn't a lot of ethnic hair to begin with. I always have to download CC hair just so I can make sims w/ a dark complexion (like myself) just so they can have curly/k.inky/natural hair.
  • calumlzcalumlz Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2014
    Good.. so that's not just me :3

Anyway, I really do agree with you. But that's just on the level where I'm a bit concerned about the lack of diversity in a lot of towns.

The townies seem to go from pale white to a tan, almost like Hispanic and that's how far they go. After that, I'm not seeing other races like black and brown people... even Asians.

I'm not trying to say that some sims should typically walk around looking like Tupac or Jackie Chan, but it would be nice to visibly see different ethnicities in town.

EDT: To add, there really isn't a lot of ethnic hair to begin with. I always have to download CC hair just so I can make sims w/ a dark complexion (like myself) just so they can have curly/k.inky/natural hair.

Yep! I even notice the black Sims being quiet light (even like caramel, light brown) and none ranging into the deep colours? Far too many light skinned Sims like you said. I think sometimes its hard to fully depict a racial characteristics in Sims customization so they use names to convey that racial group eg. Asian surnames--as sometimes its hard to identity Asian characters on Sims, where as it's easier to identity an black/Afro Sims.

I agree with you that more diversity (equally diverse) groups of Sims is what's need in the next Sims 4 game. I completely agree with the lack of ethnic and diverse ranges of hair and not just straight hair which everyone doesn't want or have. The lack of ethnic hair is problematic as it's feeding into western beauty standards and we're not representing a large demographic of different types of hair types, but just straight hair. It's frustrating having to rely on CC makers to accommodates this. It's annoying and it enforces the undesirable nature that surrounds curly/frizzy/poofy hair by society.
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited January 2014
    But please with percentages that can be adjusted in the options.

In france or USA for example you get a higher percentage of blacks than, for example in germany, where, on the other hand, the percentage of asians and middle eastern people among the population is higher.

Not to forget Sims-Players in Asia, who probably would like to put more people with asian looks than whites in their game ... and so on
    edited January 2014
    Get some store content for the afros - atleast in S3 - then use Master Controller to copy skin tone from your favorite dark person to the whole town, if you like. Voila! A community, as you wish.

I'm sure there will be mods to do this in S4, as well. Have no fear, you can build Tokyo Atlanta, if you want. I assure you.

Doubt there will be extreme racial diversity in any release of the franchise because they kind of focus it on the demographics buying the game. Depending on where you are though, I would think that there could be more ethnic factions but I can't imagine where that would be right now (contemplating the Russian/Spanish/English versions of the game, as examples).

Good luck, though.

Why should we have to pay extra for realistic hair types in the game? Shouldn't these variety of hairs come in the base-game? That is unfair and discriminatory. But even the majority of hairs in the store are straight hair (surprise, surprise) and the choice of alternative ethnic hair is limited and more focused towards men in my opinion. As I said why should we have to download CC, some people like myself don't want to carry this CC as I it's time consuming, complicated and dangerous. Why do we have to go to greater lengths to accommodate or very understandable needs for a diverse game.

Well that's what we're trying to change dear, and hopefully a Sims 3 creator or representative will change mind frame from reading this and will be weary about including more SOC. I'm sorry but do you have statics about who buys this game and what racial demographic they fit into? I don't think so. So your generalisation isn't needed. This game sells in MANY countries in MANY continents with a LARGE racial demographic. Don't be ignorant.
    edited January 2014
    Proteus42 wrote:

In france or USA for example you get a higher percentage of blacks than, for example in germany, where, on the other hand, the percentage of asians and middle eastern people among the population is higher.

Not to forget Sims-Players in Asia, who probably would like to put more people with asian looks than whites in their game ... and so on

But whats the issue of overall diversity? Why should their be a percentage mark about racial demographics? We should just have a variety of skin tones in the Sims 4 as the Sims 3 is very light skinned focus. We obliviously realistically cannot include every ethnic and tribal background in the game but we have a large customization of skin tones and their is far too much focus on the light side in the populous of the Sims 3 towns and pre-made sims.
    edited January 2014
    It's annoying and it enforces the undesirable nature that surrounds curly/frizzy/poofy hair by society.

People should stop wearing wigs for this exact reason. It's unfair to chinchillas.

This literally makes 0 sense. Are you really comparing humans to chinchillas?
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited January 2014
    I know most people on the forum want a very politically correct game. I just treat it like a sandbox and create the towns I want to see. I care nil about premade sims. I couldn't care less about the number of premade homosexual couples or the various colors of sims. This is a game not a political campaign. When I want an African American sim, I make one. When I want a gay couple, I make one. That is just so much more powerful than what they put on the advertisements.
  • dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited January 2014
    Yes, more diversity would be nice.

I don't tend to pay much attention to any Sims except my Sims, but my Grandkids complain that over time all towns devolve to a population of Pillsbury Dough Boys. I think they are most offended by all the generated Sims having a similar "doughy" uninteresting appearance. They spend a lot of time making families and singles to seed their towns and it pains them when they see them having kids or grandkids (NRass SP) that look "doughy" or "bizarre" - nothing like their parents.

It's a thorny problem. Sims are not people. Everything HAS to be based on numbers. Even random numbers are numbers. You have to tell the game to do something. Even if you tell it not to do something.

I have this discussion with my Grandkids all the time. We never do come up with a good answer.
    edited January 2014
    calumlz wrote:
    Proteus42 wrote:

But whats the issue of overall diversity? Why should their be a percentage mark about racial demographics? We should just have a variety of skin tones in the Sims 4 as the Sims 3 is very light skinned focus. We obliviously realistically cannot include every ethnic and tribal background in the game but we have a large customization of skin tones and their is far too much focus on the light side in the populous of the Sims 3 towns and pre-made sims.

What, on the other hand, is wrong with letting the players decide for themselves what percentage of skin tones they wish. I think that most Sims players would (if they had the option) prefer to select the races of the environment they are living in.

As for the problem of subtypes:
    IMHO it would be enough to give the players the option to select the percentage of 4 skin/body types:
    1. African
    2. Asian
    3. Hispanic
    4. Caucasian

All 4 of these skin-/hair-colour/body types then would determine a value range for which an RNG rolls (so that, for example, "African" could generate people with very baclk skin colour, but also people with lighter brown skin colour) so that there is a lot of diversity among these 4 subgroups
  • dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited January 2014
    I know most people on the forum want a very politically correct game. I just treat it like a sandbox and create the towns I want to see. I care nil about premade sims. I couldn't care less about the number of premade homosexual couples or the various colors of sims. This is a game not a political campaign. When I want an African American sim, I make one. When I want a gay couple, I make one. That is just so much more powerful than what they put on the advertisements.

This is really the most appropriate solution. Make the game the way you want it.
  • 0110933580701109335807 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited January 2014
    The sims 4 doesn't even come with skintone sliders, so I doubt they will have a skincolor as dark as many want :(
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2014
    What bothers me a lot is not so much diversity though i would love that in my town. When i look at sims and their fashion it really bothers me that the team doesn't do hip hop fashion. Even in the 70's stuff pack they left out the giant afro. Who skips that it was a big part of the 70's. That really made me upset because it feels like EA really has a problem with adding content that is more african american. Even the braids or african american type hair didn't look all that good at all. I'm sure the poly count for that type of hair is going to be higher than straight hair. You know what what's wrong with going for curls and what not. Or decent looking braids with beads etc.

Hopefully not only can we have a more diverse neighborhood but i'd love to see more diverse style within that neighborhood.

Though i will hand it to the team the sets from india for clothing and hair was excellent and beautifully done.
  • simmadness24simmadness24 Posts: 828 Member
    edited January 2014
    I agree, but in my games, I see more token dark chocolate skinned sims than any others as if black people only look a certain way. I'm more of peanut butter color but all of the sims with that skin tone seem to be more Hispanic looking or are Caucasian sims, with a tan. Even sims that are bi-racial of black and white look more tan with non textured, straight hair. Braids and an afro also don't define a person of color. Our hair is different textured, lengths, and styles.

Thankfully, we can adjust it how we want it. I suppose the devs at EA are mainly Caucasian and are creating townies to their likeness. I don't see how their decision to diversify townies has anything to do with their target demographic. There is no way of telling just who buys their games based on ethnicity. Yes, Germany is one thing, but the US and the UK is different.
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited January 2014
    Proteus42 wrote:
    for example in germany, where, on the other hand, the percentage of asians and middle eastern people among the population is higher.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Asians make up only 2% of Germany, while Middle Easterns (Turkey, Iraq, Iran) make up around 5.2% of Germany. Ethnic Germans (white) make up 80.7% of Germany as of May 11, 2013. I'm not sure if you are saying that Asians and Middle Easterners make up most of Germany, or if you are saying that there's more Asians and Middle Easterners in Germany than blacks. :?

Regardless OP, I think you're reading too much into this. In a game like this, we can do/make anything we want (sort of). If you want a whole town of African American people, then make one. If you want a whole town of Asians make one. I do agree there's a bit lack of diversity, but realistically they can't put every single ethnic group in one town. I am surprised that there are barely any Asians at all in TS3, but again I blame CAS for that considering you can't make Asians that look Asian (I've tried).

Have you seen TS4 CAS demo? There was a lot more diversity, and they showed different facial "presets" of people with different races. It was really cool. They actually had a black sim that actually looked African, and I saw an Asian facial feature preset as well.

Here are some pictures:

Middle Eastern/Indian??
    Sims-4-Ethnic-Diversity-620x348.png
    sf-ts4-createasim-basicsrandomize-02-640x360.jpg

African American/African
    0_db886_e8b9462e_L.jpg
    x0cv.png

Asian
    tumblr_inline_mrxhlkhBSS1qz4rgp.png
    blogger-image--1003068832.jpg

Caucasian
    b557f821863a.jpg
    male3-1.png

To me, diversity won't be a problem in TS4. They actually look different, whereas in TS3 they all look related.

Anyway, I get what you're saying. However, it's something that can be done manually by the player.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2014
    Anavastia wrote:
    What bothers me a lot is not so much diversity though i would love that in my town. When i look at sims and their fashion it really bothers me that the team doesn't do hip hop fashion. Even in the 70's stuff pack they left out the giant afro. Who skips that it was a big part of the 70's. That really made me upset because it feels like EA really has a problem with adding content that is more african american. Even the braids or african american type hair didn't look all that good at all. I'm sure the poly count for that type of hair is going to be higher than straight hair. You know what what's wrong with going for curls and what not. Or decent looking braids with beads etc.

I was very disappointed with 70s, 80s, and 90s stuff pack. It was so horribly done with barely any content. I was expecting tons of hairstyles from those periods (especially the 80s) and we barely got anything.

Anyway, on topic, I feel like they do provide enough range in diversity with pre-mades in The Sims. Like nearly every game on the market, EA looks at their demographics as reference for the game. They're not going to make a town full of Asians for a game that majority whites play. An Asian game isn't going to make a town full of blacks that most Asians play, etc. Unfortunately, that will only cause the game to not sell as well, truth be told as harsh as it sounds.

But that isn't a concern, at least IMO. They should be giving us the tools to make the game we want it to be. It is, and has always been, a sandbox game and just as TheMomminator said, you should treat it like a sandbox game and make it the way you want. Don't blame EA for not enough Sims of the culture, race, sexuality, etc. that YOU want. Make the change yourself.

Sims 3, no matter what color skin or range of sliders they are made with, they really all look the same and not diverse at all. Sims 4, from what I've seen and heard confirmed from the developers, it will be easier to make diverse Sims of all cultures. And that's, IMO, what you should want. It's your game after all and nobody is forcing you to play a certain way.

Sorry if this is taken as offensive in any way, that's not my intention. But as Kirby has even shown, TS4 is handling the diversity so much better than really any other entry in the game.
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited January 2014
    dizzydee wrote:

This is really the most appropriate solution. Make the game the way you want it.

Agreed, give us more options, more tools to make it the way we want to be, it doesnt matter if there are not enough of one type of sim in the town, if i can make them, i dont care! I will fullfill the town with the ones i like!!
    jr73Y.gif

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited January 2014
    Get some store content for the afros - atleast in S3 - then use Master Controller to copy skin tone from your favorite dark person to the whole town, if you like. Voila! A community, as you wish.

I'm sure there will be mods to do this in S4, as well. Have no fear, you can build Tokyo Atlanta, if you want. I assure you.

Doubt there will be extreme racial diversity in any release of the franchise because they kind of focus it on the demographics buying the game. Depending on where you are though, I would think that there could be more ethnic factions but I can't imagine where that would be right now (contemplating the Russian/Spanish/English versions of the game, as examples).

Good luck, though.

The problem with mods is they can cause issue with gameplay. Most of us non modders want EA to install this stuff into the game without having to use mods. A lot of us want to play a vanilla game. I hate to have to depend on mods for stuff that should have been in the game anyway. CC as well. We shouldn't have to download cc peircings to have that feature in the sims 3 but that's another topic.

I've made my own black male and female sims in cas however and added them to my town but even I notice there is not hardly any black male or female sims in any world. In ts2 there was a good mix of races.
  • krystle0385krystle0385 Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2014
    I want a more racially diverse population in my Sim towns. As a black person, I tend to make black families. Since my significant other is white, I don't usually bother with the color of the person that my Sims marry, but I focus on their traits. So, when I say that I want more racially diverse Sims, I mean that I'd prefer Sims of different skin colors, and not necessarily different ethnic backgrounds. Honestly, facial features that portray a Sim as "Asian" or "Indian" or "Black" seem silly to me in a game. While I like my Sims to look different from each other, I wouldn't be upset if I had Sims with typically Asian features but a darker skin color. But the bias that seems to occur to darker skin towns in general is something I'd like to be changed in TS4.
  • MattSuomi9896MattSuomi9896 Posts: 82 New Member
    edited January 2014
    The great thing about the idea behind the Sims series is that you can create any type of Sim you could want. In all honesty, I think the idea of racial diversity lies to the player. Some may want all white Sims - some may want all black. Some may want all Asian Sims, or some may want a mix of all. It all lies to the player's perception of what they want. I'm sure you're talking premades OP, and I can agree - yes, EA should have a nice mix of Sims of all color and races in the premades. However, you can always tune it to your liking. That's one great thing about the Sims idea.

• cowodyboycowodyboy Posts: 83 New Member
    edited January 2014
    I Agree but hey!! it's Ea LOL
    edited January 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Anavastia wrote:

I was very disappointed with 70s, 80s, and 90s stuff pack. It was so horribly done with barely any content. I was expecting tons of hairstyles from those periods (especially the 80s) and we barely got anything.

Anyway, on topic, I feel like they do provide enough range in diversity with pre-mades in The Sims. Like nearly every game on the market, EA looks at their demographics as reference for the game. They're not going to make a town full of Asians for a game that majority whites play. An Asian game isn't going to make a town full of blacks that most Asians play, etc. Unfortunately, that will only cause the game to not sell as well, truth be told as harsh as it sounds.

But that isn't a concern, at least IMO. They should be giving us the tools to make the game we want it to be. It is, and has always been, a sandbox game and just as TheMomminator said, you should treat it like a sandbox game and make it the way you want. Don't blame EA for not enough Sims of the culture, race, sexuality, etc. that YOU want. Make the change yourself.

Sims 3, no matter what color skin or range of sliders they are made with, they really all look the same and not diverse at all. Sims 4, from what I've seen and heard confirmed from the developers, it will be easier to make diverse Sims of all cultures. And that's, IMO, what you should want. It's your game after all and nobody is forcing you to play a certain way.

Sorry if this is taken as offensive in any way, that's not my intention. But as Kirby has even shown, TS4 is handling the diversity so much better than really any other entry in the game.

Like i said the diversity of the premades doesn't bother me at all and i wasn't talking about that in the first place so to me you've totally misunderstood what i said or just looping me in with the other people. I do support more diversity in game. Before we talk about a map full of asians, africans, and europeans WA proved that theory wrong now didn't it because people of all races both bought and played that now didn't they. Diversity isn't about having one race in one map it's about having several types of cultures and races in one map.

Players will make what they want in the town anyway so to me it's a futile to ask that. Just make what you want and put them in the town. I think the townies are fairly well mixed already. That's not my problem. My problem is the content that is provided for players. I have a huge problem with the fact that almost every culture dresses and uses african fashion yet EA still hasn't added hip hop fashion or even remotely even indulged into that fashion. Grunge and goth get more attention than hip hop ever did and that what i have a problem with.

No offense to you but in the usa the country is 13 percent minority but that doesn't stop African American Artists from hitting the top of the charts because their heavily supported by non minorities. what does that say? It says they would profit tremendously off of that kind of fashion for sims. Like i said who doesn't put the giant afro in the 70's portion of the stuff pack. That was a huge disappointment along with alot of other stuff. So I'm really not trying to hear the excuse that you feel majority of players are Caucasian their going to cater to them because that is what sells. It's not. Sims has a huge diverse audience and it be stupid of ea to assume that it doesn't. I do find they aren't diverse enough in content as a game that isn't even entry level at all. It's been on the market for more than 10 years you think by now they could embrace some other flavor.

You'd think by now after all these years the country finally takes a dip in the chocolate, EA would go plunge in head first and profit from it.
    edited January 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Proteus42 wrote:
    for example in germany, where, on the other hand, the percentage of asians and middle eastern people among the population is higher.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Asians make up only 2% of Germany, while Middle Easterns (Turkey, Iraq, Iran) make up around 5.2% of Germany. Ethnic Germans (white) make up 80.7% of Germany as of May 11, 2013. I'm not sure if you are saying that Asians and Middle Easterners make up most of Germany, or if you are saying that there's more Asians and Middle Easterners in Germany than blacks. :?

I mean the latter one, of course, i.e. that asians and middle eastern people make up a much higher percentage of the non caucasian populations, compared to blacks.
    In fact, outside of universities (or towns with US bases) it is rather rare to see a black person.
    Must have to do with the fact that we never had any significant slave trade (in contrast to the US) and our few colonies in Africa (in contrast to France) just lasted around 30 years (before they were taken away during/after the lost WW 1).

In contrast to this, we have traditionally close ties to asian countries (especially Japan) and (with regards to middle eastern people) a traditionally large immigration by people from turkey
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2014
    Anavastia wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Anavastia wrote:

Like i said the diversity of the premades doesn't bother me at all and i wasn't talking about that in the first place so to me you've totally misunderstood what i said or just looping me in with the other people. I do support more diversity in game. Before we talk about a map full of asians, africans, and europeans WA proved that theory wrong now didn't it because people of all races both bought and played that now didn't they. Diversity isn't about having one race in one map it's about having several types of cultures and races in one map.

Players will make what they want in the town anyway so to me it's a futile to ask that. Just make what you want and put them in the town. I think the townies are fairly well mixed already. That's not my problem. My problem is the content that is provided for players. I have a huge problem with the fact that almost every culture dresses and uses african fashion yet EA still hasn't added hip hop fashion or even remotely even indulged into that fashion. Grunge and goth get more attention than hip hop ever did and that what i have a problem with.

No offense to you but in the usa the country is 13 percent minority but that doesn't stop African American Artists from hitting the top of the charts because their heavily supported by non minorities. what does that say? It says they would profit tremendously off of that kind of fashion for sims. Like i said who doesn't put the giant afro in the 70's portion of the stuff pack. That was a huge disappointment along with alot of other stuff. So I'm really not trying to hear the excuse that you feel majority of players are Caucasian their going to cater to them because that is what sells. It's not. Sims has a huge diverse audience and it be stupid of ea to assume that it doesn't. I do find they aren't diverse enough in content as a game that isn't even entry level at all. It's been on the market for more than 10 years you think by now they could embrace some other flavor.

You'd think by now after all these years the country finally takes a dip in the chocolate, EA would go plunge in head first and profit from it.

No, I only quoted you because I was agreeing with you; the 70s, 80s, and 90s stuff pack didn't include enough from those time periods. From "anyway, on topic..." on was geared toward the OP and my opinion on the subject.

I also agree with you that today's (USA/America's) pop culture and today's generation is influenced by African American culture. This thread seems to be hate over the fact the majority of the premades in every town are white. But as I said before, I believe most of this is because of marketing and fanbase. They're a business and will cater to the audience, and if the majority of the audience is a certain demographic, they will chase after them. They're not going to fill a town full of a race if another race tends to buy it more so that other one. And since the game's origins are in America added to the fact mostly Americans buy it as well, they're obviously going to make the culture of the game surrounding American culture JUST as you brought up the fact America/usa has the African Americans hitting the charts. You didn't mention any other country for that matter, did you? But you also said it was incredibly diverse. Yet, how come there isn't a lot of UK influence or Russian influence? They're a large part of the fan base too. You brought up America because, I'm assuming, you know that it's mostly us Americans buying this game.

-Cartoon Network was under fire not too long ago because they cancelled a show. Not because girls didn't watch it, but because the girls didn't buy the toys as much as males did and apparently CN tries to appeal to female more so than male, thus, the show got the axe.
    -At a movie theater, they didn't play a movie that they did in another location because of the fact the majority of the people surrounding that theater's location were of another race than the ones featured in the movie.
    -And TS3 itself has a lot more YA female content over YA male content. Why do you think that?

Now if EA decides to make this game too culturally diverse, there will be MORE people complaining over the fact that their game doesn't have their culture represented as much as another's. Or that one culture is too present in the game and they don't like that. Or maybe now there's too many pre made girls and they don't like that either. Really this whole thread and any more to come should be deleted. It's a dang game. Delete the Sims you don't want and make your own to replace them. Don't point your finger at EA if the game doesn't have the premades you want. As long as they give you the tools to make the game the way you want it, there isn't a problem. I mentioned above the fact females have more content than male Sims. I have the ability to add CC to my game if I'd like, so I don't let it bother me.

TL;DR - Even better, don't buy the game if you're racist/sexist/homophobic enough to be bothered by this. This thread should get the axe as TS4 is handling this fine as it is; providing the tools necessary to change the game the way we want it.
  • ChrisOldfieldChrisOldfield Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2014
    Seems to me like all of this comes down to CAS. Can you accurately portray an oriental person as well as a caucasian? Don't know, the Sims 3 CAS was not all that powerful. The Sims 4 seems to be able to allow a lot more diversity. So assuming the sliders can be adjust accordingly there is no reason for them not to be.

As for more white people in a town than any other race, I suppose they will have to be a lot more creative in populating the town.
    edited January 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

No, I only quoted you because I was agreeing with you; the 70s, 80s, and 90s stuff pack didn't include enough from those time periods. From "anyway, on topic..." on was geared toward the OP and my opinion on the subject.

I also agree with you that today's (USA/America's) pop culture and today's generation is influenced by African American culture. This thread seems to be hate over the fact the majority of the premades in every town are white. But as I said before, I believe most of this is because of marketing and fanbase. They're a business and will cater to the audience, and if the majority of the audience is a certain demographic, they will chase after them. They're not going to fill a town full of a race if another race tends to buy it more so that other one. And since the game's origins are in America added to the fact mostly Americans buy it as well, they're obviously going to make the culture of the game surrounding American culture JUST as you brought up the fact America/usa has the African Americans hitting the charts. You didn't mention any other country for that matter, did you? But you also said it was incredibly diverse. Yet, how come there isn't a lot of UK influence or Russian influence? They're a large part of the fan base too. You brought up America because, I'm assuming, you know that it's mostly us Americans buying this game.

-Cartoon Network was under fire not too long ago because they cancelled a show. Not because girls didn't watch it, but because the girls didn't buy the toys as much as males did and apparently CN tries to appeal to female more so than male, thus, the show got the axe.
    -At a movie theater, they didn't play a movie that they did in another location because of the fact the majority of the people surrounding that theater's location were of another race than the ones featured in the movie.
    -And TS3 itself has a lot more YA female content over YA male content. Why do you think that?

Now if EA decides to make this game too culturally diverse, there will be MORE people complaining over the fact that their game doesn't have their culture represented as much as another's. Or that one culture is too present in the game and they don't like that. Or maybe now there's too many pre made girls and they don't like that either. Really this whole thread and any more to come should be deleted. It's a dang game. Delete the Sims you don't want and make your own to replace them. Don't point your finger at EA if the game doesn't have the premades you want. As long as they give you the tools to make the game the way you want it, there isn't a problem. I mentioned above the fact females have more content than male Sims. I have the ability to add CC to my game if I'd like, so I don't let it bother me.

TL;DR - Even better, don't buy the game if you're racist/sexist/homophobic enough to be bothered by this. This thread should get the axe as TS4 is handling this fine as it is; providing the tools necessary to change the game the way we want it.

I brought up America because the company is based in California. A highly diverse state, which dev's live in and yet it still didn't provide, I feel, good enough content for players to make diverse types of neighborhoods for sims 3. I'd like to bring up the urbz, because though it had a variety of sims and styles you could play a ghetto, you could play trailer park, you could play a variety of urban area's. Lol and a lot of people bought that version of sims and loved it. Why do i mention this because Caucasians do play games that aren't solely based on themselves. They do enjoy them. It's very silly to think otherwise. If Ea has that same mentality as you do I can see why their sales are dropping like mad. I've seen this forum explode with requests to make urban maps and ghettos.

You can't create something that isn't there is my point. EA doesn't provide enough content towards this for people to create what their looking for in the neighborhood. So players should speak up and request more diversity. A thread like this shouldn't be deleted it's a way to let dev's know what people are hoping for. Most of the content i've seen put in the game fit the theme of Caucasian suburbs or country life in America. That's fine but not everyone wants to play that. Many simmers want a Harlem, or a bayou. That may not seem like it will sell to you, but i think it will sell greatly since it's something heavily sought after by today's generation anyway.

Let's talk about YAF in ts3 because of that focus they lost money not gained. They could have had so many sales if they hadn't done this to the stuff packs. LGR really pointed it out best when he mentions the stuff packs have no depth. So not being diverse can cost you money too. I know I was sick of stuff packs for that very reason including expansions because not only was it not diverse in content for sexes it wasn't diverse for the ages either. Than add in the content wasn't even diverse among culture, and what happened. Those stuff packs got boring fast because let's be honest they targeted Young Adult White females. Which to me is stupid because no offense but i've seen quite a lot of players on here that are either A. biracial like myself, or B. have asian, african, indian, spanish, decent. You are rarely and I mean rarely going to find someone pure anything anyway. It's silly for EA to think that most of us don't have appeal to other cultures than our own. What sells for the video game is uniqueness. If im a gamer im going to want to experience something outside my everyday norm. Otherwise the game get's boring. That's exactly the way most people feel about the sims 3 it's boring.

Video games are apart of the entertainment industry but what you aren't going to find is that their limited to the bias that people place on the tv industry or music. Video games like sims are about life, well that life isn't limited to what i can see out my back door now is it? It's about the lives of many different types of people even imaginary. I feel if an alien can get as much content in the game as they like, a fictional being, than hell so can anyone else. You are you to say that African content isn't going to sell? From my understanding in the store alone the African set was a big hit along with the Japanese set, and the Indian Set. So looks to me that quite a lot of simmers want diversity themselves.

As far as if sims 4 is doing a good job of that, have you played the game yet cause I haven't. I have no clue if the game has done well, just because someone flashes some screen shots of dark skinned sims doesn't mean they've touched on cultural diversity at all. If you're looking at this topic in the sense that oh just add more dark skinned people to your map and call it a day as a solution you have it all wrong. Pigment of the sims skin isn't the issue here as much as what's lacking with the the game's content. That's directed at the op as well.

People don't want to sit there building and designing. People want to plop into town and play so it makes sense to request neighborhoods that have certain premades. Especially if im a gamer that does't have a lot of time to try and edit this add that. Im not sure if EA is going to touch on that well with sims 4 yet. We'll have to see the neighborhoods first to find out.