Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recipes, Items, and More

bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
edited September 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I have every ethnic group with a restaurant and with food even some have outfits to match the theme of the restaurant. I'm having a problem doing a Soul Food restaurant theme, not enough food like some of my other restaurant. NO cornbread, no
mustard, collar, or turnips greens, smother chicken, chitlins, fried chicken, red beans and rice, candy yam, pecans pie, peach cobbler, cabbage, dirty rice, shrimp and grits, and where is the oranges and corn in the game. It would be nice to have a Soul Food Kit. Or maybe just a recipe kit.
Post edited by beville on

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    beville wrote: »
    I have every ethnic group with a restaurant and with food even some have outfits to match the theme of the restaurant. I'm having a problem doing a Soul Food restaurant theme, not enough food like some of my other restaurant. NO cornbread, no greens, fried chicken, red beans and rice, candy yam, pecans pie, peach cobbler, cabbage, dirty rice, shrimp and grits, and where is the oranges and corn in the game. It would be nice to have a Soul Food Kit. Or maybe just a recipe kit.

Is soul food something like comfort food? In that case, soul food might be different for different people.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I think to make your thread and idea clearer you should mention "New Recipes" in your title. :smile:

I agree though, soul food sounds great and I'd use those recipes in my game too. I love having new recipes in my game and really like your idea of a recipe kit!

The closest recipes I can think of to what you are requesting are sweet potato pie, fruit cobbler, and gumbo. (Although I don't know if they come with specific packs).
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    HA!
    There's loads of foods that are missing from the game.
    Where's the basics like bangers and mash, or pie floater? Shepherds pie, lamb shanks, steak pie, curried sausages...
    Pavlova, lamingtons, black forest cake, bee sting cake, strawberry shortcake, sponge cake, swiss roll...
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    Movotti wrote: »
    HA!
    Where's the basics like bangers and mash, or pie floater? Shepherds pie, lamb shanks, steak pie, curried sausages...
    Pavlova, lamingtons, black forest cake, bee sting cake, strawberry shortcake, sponge cake, swiss roll...

I second the request for lamingtons, black forrest cake and swiss roll. Would be nice if we could grill steak by itself. We can grill burgers, hot dogs, fruit, but no steak and that is such a staple of grilled food.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    @crocobaura Soul food is an ethnic cuisine traditionally prepared and eaten by African Americans, originating in the Southern United States.The cuisine originated with the left over foods that were given to enslaved black people by their oppressors on Southern plantations during the Antebellum period; Today we may consider it to be comfort foods but it does have a history like any other ethnic food.
    @crocobaura Soul food is an ethnic cuisine traditionally prepared and eaten by African Americans, originating in the Southern United States.The cuisine originated with the left over foods that were given to enslaved black people by their oppressors on Southern plantations during the Antebellum period; Today we may consider it to be comfort foods but it does have a history like any other ethnic food.

Well, going by the dishes you listed, it sounds like quite tasty cuisine. My absolute comfort food is chicken noodle soup and milk rice with cinnamon.
  • Simzilla_7Simzilla_7 Posts: 141 Member
    HA!

Cottage living has bangers and mash.

Thank you for sharing the history, I knew a little about soul food, but not in that detail. :smile:

@Movotti I believe there is shepherd's pie; I think it's under baking which may mean it came with the Get To Work pack. (Don't hold me to that though!)
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I have every ethnic group with a restaurant and with food even some have outfits to match the theme of the restaurant. I'm having a problem doing a Soul Food restaurant theme, not enough food like some of my other restaurant. NO cornbread, no greens, fried chicken, red beans and rice, candy yam, pecans pie, peach cobbler, cabbage, dirty rice, shrimp and grits, and where is the oranges and corn in the game. It would be nice to have a Soul Food Kit. Or maybe just a recipe kit.

food allergies limit my choices irl these days (RIP my days of making and eating cracklin' cornbread in a skillet), but you made my mouth water from childhood memories. Corn's not in the game? I thought for sure I had had Sims grill whole ears of corn outside but maybe that's just me inserting it into the other expanded grill menu items, because if it's not there, it should be.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    @Nushnushganay yes there is corn as part of a meal but there is no harvestable corn or oranges for this game. I thought by now that we would have oranges trees after 7 years.
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,052 Member
    @Nushnushganay yes there is corn as part of a meal but there is no harvestable corn or oranges for this game. I thought by now that we would have oranges trees after 7 years.

You'd think
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett

wow that is weird! There are lemon and lime trees in Sims3...not sure if there are oranges because I never looked but if there are lemons and limes... Are there lemon or lime trees in Sims4? And what's up with corn, then?

Now I want to go into my Sims3 game where I have a Green Thumb, and see if corn growing is possible there. So much is, that isn't in Sims4.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited September 2021
    I think to make your thread and idea clearer you should mention "New Recipes" in your title. :smile:

I agree though, soul food sounds great and I'd use those recipes in my game too. I love having new recipes in my game and really like your idea of a recipe kit!

The closest recipes I can think of to what you are requesting are sweet potato pie, fruit cobbler, and gumbo. (Although I don't know if they come with specific packs).

Soul food is ethic food eaten by African Americans in the Southern States. It originated during the Antebellum period of American History and is heavily influenced by West African and Native American foodways. It's name comes from the Black Power movement of the 60's and 70's. While many of the dishes are "comfort food" which is food that provides the individual with a nostalgic feelings of childhood this is only true of those who grew up in the southern United States the term OP used, Soul Food is absolutely correct for the recipes she mentioned in her post as all are classical examples of the cuisine. The foodways themselves have a huge history and I recommend a reading on it.
    BTW I love Shrimp and Grits. I have a favorite recipe

ultimate-shrimp-and-grits.jpg

redrogue60 wrote: »

Soul food is ethic food eaten by African Americans in the Southern States. It originated during the Antebellum period of American History and is heavily influenced by West African and Native American foodways. It's name comes from the Black Power movement of the 60's and 70's. While many of the dishes are "comfort food" which is food that provides the individual with a nostalgic feelings of childhood this is only true of those who grew up in the southern United States the term OP used, Soul Food is absolutely correct for the recipes she mentioned in her post as all are classical examples of the cuisine. The foodways themselves have a huge history and I recommend a reading on it.

All that corn based food is also associated with pellagra, a disease that was rife in the southern states of the US for many decades.
    edited September 2021

You're quoting me and I'm not sure why. OP already did a fantastic job of explaining the history of soul food in a previous post. :smile:

I haven't disputed that the term OP used was the correct one. I suggested other recipes they could use in-game as we don't currently have soul food.
    @Nushnushganay they sold orange trees in the store for the sims 3 , I believe it was the grandpa tractor set.🤔
    @Movotti but who always reporting negative things about enslave black people? Their oppressors! The same people who doesn't give them credit for anything positive!!
    @beville I think you misunderstand what I'm talking about.
    It was their oppressors who gave them no choice, but to practically live on corn, which caused the disease. And yet they end up with a culinary culture build around the mistreatment.
    And so, I find it strange that people find comfort in food that caused so much harm, and held people in such poverty.
    @haneul Exactly! It's all about adding more recipes and maybe more bar drinks too !!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    There are some cc I added to get soul food.

Shrimp & grits:

https://modthesims.info/d/609951/louisiana-style-recipes-i-beignets-and-shrimp-grits-update-9-7-2020.html

Mashed potato and gravy:
    https://sims4updates.net/food/mashed-potato-and-gravy-at-icemunmun/

Crab cakes, jambalaya:

https://modthesims.info/d/610464/louisiana-style-recipes-2-cornbread-crabcake-update-9-7-2019.html

Plus more CC
    Honestly I wish theyd put out just a food game pack or kit or something. I love having tons of different foods 😋
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

All that corn based food is also associated with pellagra, a disease that was rife in the southern states of the US for many decades.

Yes, Pellagra was a problem in the US South and in parts of Rural South America when corn made up too much of the diet due to poverty, but cultures in which maize factors heavily in the diet traditionally, nixtamalization (turning corn into hominy by alkalizing it in limewater) is also traditional and correct the niacin deficiency that causes pellagra.

So. Yes, eating too little else besides un-nixtamalized maize can cause deficiency disease.

Eating too much meat can cause kidney disease and other diseases. Pick any culture's food traditions, and we can find some way it can harm the health.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited September 2021
    @beville I think you misunderstand what I'm talking about.
    It was their oppressors who gave them no choice, but to practically live on corn, which caused the disease. And yet they end up with a culinary culture build around the mistreatment.
    And so, I find it strange that people find comfort in food that caused so much harm, and held people in such poverty.

Poverty-stricken people in all regions have faced the problems of too little to eat besides the grains traditional to their cultures, but it's not the culture or the food itself that is the problem: poverty is the problem. Maize and wheat don't make poverty: social injustice and politics make poverty.

So you could as easily critique France for its love of baguettes and croissants, or Irish cooking traditions involving potatoes (and that was a famine caused primarily by political oppression, forcing potatoes to become the sole sustenance of the Irish at the time, such that a potato blight could cause people to starve to death).

But I sincerely doubt the French or the Irish would appreciate the critique of their food traditions, regardless of the fact that in each of their pasts, political forces creating poverty caused the perils of over-reliance on those foods.

A better target for criticism would be the political systems that create and exacerbate inequality, rather than the cultural traditions of people who were oppressed.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Soul Food like this
    2ae81f5c33677de12481e4420f85df2a.jpg
    Cornbread muffins
    f9be71fb75de4f2c3e82cf18d29cf1f6.jpg
    Skillet Cornbread
    7de6d95d5ae8d72c76b3b598796e6a10.png
    Smothered Chicken
    IMG_7527.jpg
    Southern Style Turnip Greens
    R.581f639ce5ec2a7161daafd1c41a8cf9?rik=O4LzMT0bUCyxpw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcoopcancook.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f06%2fyamig-960x1440.jpg&ehk=g6urQgZHvK4hIoH8slovtihStj%2bTNKQbU9p4LNAf3jM%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Candy Yams

Red-Beans-and-Rice-4.jpg
    Red Beans and Rice
    peach-pie-15-scaled.jpg
    Peach Cobbler
    Depositphotos_23093506_l-2015.jpgedit.jpg
    Fried Chickenphoto.jpg
    Southern Style Fried Cabbage
    Dirty-Rice-5.jpg
    Dirty Rice
    R.df879cc596026eb5f6c352ac94520bf9?rik=fIehip9G3DqJRA&riu=http%3a%2f%2foriginaltravel.assets.d3r.com%2fimages%2fhero_xlarge%2f129853-162.jpg&ehk=vET%2bgYWAJ456%2bXeF8rTDVXzzADCVAqIkguUea5IM%2bko%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Pecan Pie
    Slow-Cooker-Black-Eyed-Peas-720x720.jpg
    Black Eyed Peas
    R.2c9c814381b2caa529f400e94f4f6f45?rik=gJOKSr9A3IVOjw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.tasteofsouthern.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2015%2f01%2fmustard-greens-26-enjoy1.jpg&ehk=GLa1f6Gxcry%2bp%2fpknV7rDw50Uh7HgETTX2SRPnrcKA8%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresct=1
    Mustard Greens
    R.f5654ae7441995e009eeee66a1507967?rik=e0FaAJrVSGyb7w&riu=http%3a%2f%2ftaste.co.za%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f06%2fDads-oxtail-1.jpg&ehk=NRe1obaxvNDnTQX4kioVq%2fr%2btIlOcTuqFEnHINiFek8%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Oxtails
    smothered-pork-chops_thecozyapron_2.jpg
    Smothered Pork Chop
    Southern-Potato-Salad-7-1.jpg
    Southern Potato Salad